Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

"Save the Game" Culture

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jul 26, 2009
I've seen a lot of posts lately that speak about Wizard101 as though it's on its last legs. While I agree with the sentiments of these posts that there is room for improvement, I think it's important to note that the more we overstate these concerns by framing the game in such a pessimistic view, the worse we will make things inadvertently.

Nevertheless, here are some ideas I have to improve this game we all hold dear:

1. Make the first 5-12 hours of play free for every account. Because this will be time limited in the same way as elixirs, abuse would not be a concern. Offering this feature would give new players a chance to explore the game more thoroughly and get a taste of the greatness to come and thus be more incentivized to join the Wizard101 family. I would also recommend, at the very least, making all of Wizard City free, and perhaps a portion of Krokotopia to further incentivize new players into the game. We've heard very similar proposals for years to no avail; why not give it a shot?

2. Implement a 'mentorship' program. Similar to the Team Up feature, allow all new Wizards currently in Wizard City to be paired with a willing mentor via the spell book. This mentor would earn a reward based on the number of quests or amount of time helping the new wizard quest and learn the ropes of the game. This would make new players' introduction to the game far smoother and would give us veterans a chance to advocate for the game. This could be expanded to all players if successful, but I see it being most effective for new players.

3. Update the game's introduction. I saw the recent feedback Friday (why aren't these every Friday?) regarding how to improve the first hour of play. I think having Merle Ambrose take the player on some sort of sequence, perhaps a preview of key worlds in the spiral of some sort, could give new players further insights into the stories ahead.

4. CHESS.

5. Try a 'stripped bare' feature to PVP. I've never been big into PVP, so perhaps this is already a feature, but I think it could be interesting to have an arena that strips all players of all gear and pets and thus emphasizes battle strategy over pre-existing advantages.

What do you guys think?

Astrologist
Dec 31, 2009
How about just some simple advertising? I mean they have all those mobile games that spew ads, yet none are ever their own.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
On point 2: I think a Helper Hut or better yet a Helper Realm would be ideal. People could go there at any time nigh or day and meet someone who wants help, or who wants to give help.

It would be a different vibe from The Commons which has become kind of the cool kid hangout and everyone is afraid to be vulnerable there.

If there's a dedicated place for helping, the one who made fun of helping would be the oddball, and bullies thrive on peer approval.

I'd love a way to buy a gift card with cash like we used to because not everyone wants to pile charges onto their CC. So that would be great.

More advertising can never hurt.

Astrologist
Feb 12, 2015
Geographer
Sep 07, 2011
The game is great. It doesn't need "saving". Some people falsely assume that whatever bothers them is a meta problem, and whatever they want will be a blessing for all. More likely for every "great" idea I have, there's someone who thinks it would "ruin the game" and vice versa. You can find someone demanding "buff X!" and someone else saying "nerf X!" for every "X", be it a spell, school, gear item...

KI do a great job of coming up with stuff, listening to players, but also knowing what NOT to listen to, or at least not take too seriously. Balance.

Is there room to improve? Sure! Is the game dying? No way.

Survivor
Jul 26, 2009
Gemma Luna on Mar 8, 2019 wrote:
The game is great. It doesn't need "saving". Some people falsely assume that whatever bothers them is a meta problem, and whatever they want will be a blessing for all. More likely for every "great" idea I have, there's someone who thinks it would "ruin the game" and vice versa. You can find someone demanding "buff X!" and someone else saying "nerf X!" for every "X", be it a spell, school, gear item...

KI do a great job of coming up with stuff, listening to players, but also knowing what NOT to listen to, or at least not take too seriously. Balance.

Agreed.

Defender
May 30, 2010
Gemma Luna on Mar 8, 2019 wrote:

We are not saying the game is dying. I just believe the game is getting smaller. The biggest thing I have noticed is that they do not adversive as much. Ask a lot of kids on the Street and you probably get nothing or like I only play Fortnight. Of course the game is great but we need to make it better.

If you have noticed a lot more people are not playing the game. So it is not really dying but here my thoughts, how long can Wiz stays if more and more people are leaving.

So this is what save the game culture is. Not stating the game is drying, but wonder how long it will last if they do not do certain things?

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
Advertisements running on the TV was what introduced quite a number of us to the game in the first place.

I felt in more attention is spent here again, we will see an increase in players joining and retuning again.

Hence my formula:

More AD = More Players Joining/Returning.

At least get the world out their more.

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
The 'save the game' culture irritates me tbh

There is nothing wrong with coming up with ideas to improve the game or make it more successful, but the negative connotations that the game is dead or dying is completely unsubstatiated - in fact KI said they just had their best year ever.

One of the major factors that seem to be overlooked is that this is the only family friendly MMO out there of any real substance, seconded by P101. There is a flow of new players arriving in the Spiral every day. I know because I spend time in busy realms of low level worlds with my friend requests on...just yesterday a new friend bought his first year membership.

Of course people are leaving too, that's to be expected in any game, but probably more so in a family friendly game that some players will grow out of. As players get older they have even more options or feel they learned enough from this and want something different. It was said to be 'a family friendly introduction to MMOs'. I think it was anticipated that it would be a huge hit with youngsters, many of whom would go eventually move on to other games. The biggest surprise has likely been how many didn't want to move on to anything else and how many adults love W101!

PS. When I was 10 I used to play chess...none of my friends play it any more...perhaps chess is dying too?

Survivor
Mar 23, 2016
I don’t think an elixir would be smart, but I do agree that the Wizard city world should be ALL free, it shouldn’t be a charged place.

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
Actually an animated Wizard's Chess would be a nice additional sub game. Normal chess rules but the pieces animate when attacking

And you could earn spells summoning the attack of each piece as you advance. These spells wouldn't be school related and could use power pips regardless of school.

Pawn - level 10 spell
Rook - level 30 spell
Bishop - Level 50 spell
Knight - Level 70 spell
Queen - level 100 spell
King - level 130 spell

Just a thought
Steven Ghoststalker

Defender
Jan 30, 2014
I don't like "save the game" culture.

While everyone has good intentions and want KI to know their concerns in why they think the game is "dying" (and there's not anything wrong with wanting to improve Wiz). The game is very much alive though, in fact many come back for a good wave of nostalgia and there are new younger players trying out the game on a daily basis. Some also constantly bring up the same things; and I'm sure KI knows we want the game f2p.

Something commonly overlooked is the fact that we want so much stuff at once! We want PVP, we want spells, hole in olde town, free play and etc. KI is currently focused on two main (and quite big) things, the graphics update and the new dungeon.

The fanbase is shrinking, true. But if we truly love the game, we'll keep playing and supporting it.

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
ThisGirlIsOnFIRE00... on Mar 11, 2019 wrote:
I don't like "save the game" culture.

While everyone has good intentions and want KI to know their concerns in why they think the game is "dying" (and there's not anything wrong with wanting to improve Wiz). The game is very much alive though, in fact many come back for a good wave of nostalgia and there are new younger players trying out the game on a daily basis. Some also constantly bring up the same things; and I'm sure KI knows we want the game f2p.

Something commonly overlooked is the fact that we want so much stuff at once! We want PVP, we want spells, hole in olde town, free play and etc. KI is currently focused on two main (and quite big) things, the graphics update and the new dungeon.

The fanbase is shrinking, true. But if we truly love the game, we'll keep playing and supporting it.
I agree with your post except the penultimate sentence: 'The fanbase is shrinking, true'

This may be correct, but I honestly think the forums etc are less busy because the guides have been made, the wiki is amazingly detailed, and finding help with dungeons/pets has been enabled within the game itself. It could appear the fanbase is shrinking simply because people look up what they need to know and get their answers, so they don't need to post.

PS. I've had 2 more new friends buy the $60 year membership too...none of these kids had played before and they're just discovering the adventures of Krok! They are all so excited about it I'm looking forward to them hitting level 30 so I can help them farm for their Zeus gear.

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
Where do people get an idea this game is dying or dead? Wizard101 just had their best 2 years ever. The game made the Hall of Fame for being the best family and save MMO game in 2016. Yes Wizard101 had more people playing when the game was brand new andl fade a little after the first several years like any other game. It doesn't mean it's dying. Example: When Monopoly first came out, it was booming with players for sveral years before it faded. does that mean it's on it's last leg or dead? No. Infact Monoploy game's demand is still so high, new versions are being made. I know Monopoly is not Wizard101 but that is besides my point. I strongly think KI will advertise more after they get Wizard101 squared away with new graphic updates and game cleanups.