Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Wizard101 Character Transfering

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 25, 2015
Hey, so i have a open account and a muted level 122 storm, i want to transfer the 122 storm but i was wondering, will i still be muted from my storm and not on my open account balance, will i be muted on both, or will i not have the mute at all. The storm is 1 month membership currently and i have the 80$ to change it to 1 year so i am ready, i am just wondering about the mutes.

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
For any queries regarding transferring wizards to different accounts, it's best you speak to KI directly.

support@wizard101.com

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
omarppoo1 on May 14, 2018 wrote:
Hey, so i have a open account and a muted level 122 storm, i want to transfer the 122 storm but i was wondering, will i still be muted from my storm and not on my open account balance, will i be muted on both, or will i not have the mute at all. The storm is 1 month membership currently and i have the 80$ to change it to 1 year so i am ready, i am just wondering about the mutes.
KI moves wizards as a courtesy rather than a right. I can't imagine they'd allow it to be used to circumvent a sanction. There could be a risk that linking the accounts and saying they're both yours could backfire and end up with the sanction being applied to the currently unaffected account too!

If you've made a fresh start after making a mistake you might do best to keep it a clean break. The storm wiz is muted and you can still play him or let him go to focus on your new account instead.

Survivor
Aug 13, 2009
Victoria FireHeart on May 16, 2018 wrote:
KI moves wizards as a courtesy rather than a right. I can't imagine they'd allow it to be used to circumvent a sanction. There could be a risk that linking the accounts and saying they're both yours could backfire and end up with the sanction being applied to the currently unaffected account too!

If you've made a fresh start after making a mistake you might do best to keep it a clean break. The storm wiz is muted and you can still play him or let him go to focus on your new account instead.
They didn't have a problem moving one of your max ranked characters to a fresh account (which IMO shouldn't be allowed) so you could dual box yourself through content and circumvent leveling (Level 50 Elixir), but hey you keep finding ways to avoid spending crowns and they keep letting you, so...

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Victoria FireHeart on May 16, 2018 wrote:

Just wanted to point out that muted does not automatically or always mean 'sanctioned.'

For instance if they joined at a young enough age I think they cannot use some types of chat, even if they become old enough later to use open chat.

So this person might've just grown up and wanted their older wizard on their new grownup age account so they can use open chat. I dunno.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
T4T2FR34K on May 16, 2018 wrote:
They didn't have a problem moving one of your max ranked characters to a fresh account (which IMO shouldn't be allowed) so you could dual box yourself through content and circumvent leveling (Level 50 Elixir), but hey you keep finding ways to avoid spending crowns and they keep letting you, so...
They allow dual and quad boxing (even without moving characters across accounts)....most MMOs do. They do not allow sanctions to be bypassed. In fact, one of the prerequisites for the character transfer to occur is a security check on the account where they check for things like mutes, bans, account history, etc. See the below prerequisites:

https://www.wizard101.com/forum/ravenwood-commons/character-transfer-questions-8ad6a4145554b482015570ea2b6459be

BTW, paying for two accounts by either keeping the one year membership going or cancelling it and paying by zone is extremely economically beneficial for KI, so I'm not sure why you think someone is attempting to "avoid spending Crowns" by doing this.

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
SparkleTude on May 17, 2018 wrote:
Just wanted to point out that muted does not automatically or always mean 'sanctioned.'

For instance if they joined at a young enough age I think they cannot use some types of chat, even if they become old enough later to use open chat.

So this person might've just grown up and wanted their older wizard on their new grownup age account so they can use open chat. I dunno.
Well pointed out! I assumed they meant it had been muted rather than it was unable to get chat features! Thanks for pointing out that it might not be due to a sanction

If it isn't due to a sanction I'd recommend asking KI if he would fall into the same parameters of the account he is moved to or if it might mess up the chat features the new account enjoys. KI would be able to give the accurate info on this and if it isn't due to sanction the wizard may well be able to get chat features he is otherwise unable to.

Thanks again Sparkletude for pointing out there are other reasons his wiz might not have chat

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
SparkleTude on May 17, 2018 wrote:

Technically, muted does means sanctioned (although the OP could have mistakenly referred to your scenario).

There are four chat types:

Menu Chat
Text Chat
18+ Chat
True Friend Chat

Muting is a sanction action conducted against your account for violations against the ToS. You don't start out muted, but you might start out as Menu or Text chat if you created your account with an under 18 age listed.

https://www.wizard101.com/w101playersguide/chat-friends

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Oran of Urz on May 17, 2018 wrote:
Technically, muted does means sanctioned (although the OP could have mistakenly referred to your scenario).

Menu Chat
Text Chat
18+ Chat
True Friend Chat

Muting is a sanction action conducted against your account for violations against the ToS. You don't start out muted, but you might start out as Menu or Text chat if you created your account with an under 18 age listed.

I'm referring to people who have the circle with slash through it but can still use menu chat.

Those include players who were children when they joined.

When I first joined, until I was able to do fully open chat, I had only the menu option. I had not even played so I had no sanctions on me. (I still don't.)

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Oran of Urz on May 17, 2018 wrote:

Menu Chat
Text Chat
18+ Chat
True Friend Chat

People use the term "muted" to refer to those with the circle with slash through it who cannot use typing as a way to communicate.

Sometimes people with that can read and understand what others are saying and they can reply via menu or physical action.
It's hard to tell in that case if someone does not reply, whether they simply choose not to, cannot physically type in real life or cannot translate the language quickly enough, in a fast paced game or battle, to reply via menu.

So people often use "muted" to refer to anyone who cannot use text chat, but who has the circle with slash through it.

I've also seen people who are muted only in PVP - I battled in a circle on my land and the person was typing to me the entire time. But not one bit of it was visible to me. I hadn't PVPed before so it couldn't have been me. The person had totally open chat otherwise.

My point was just because someone has a circle with slash through it doesn't mean they were sanctioned.

I know there are four chat types, but that had nothing to do with my point. I know people can be muted as a sanction, but it had little to do with my point.

I was using muted in the way everyone else has used muted, to mean someone who can't use text chat, because we have absolutely no way to know for sure why they can't, or how much they can read of ours. (Even if they could tell us why, it might not be the full truth.)

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Victoria FireHeart on May 17, 2018 wrote:
Well pointed out! I assumed they meant it had been muted rather than it was unable to get chat features! Thanks for pointing out that it might not be due to a sanction

If it isn't due to a sanction I'd recommend asking KI if he would fall into the same parameters of the account he is moved to or if it might mess up the chat features the new account enjoys. KI would be able to give the accurate info on this and if it isn't due to sanction the wizard may well be able to get chat features he is otherwise unable to.

Thanks again Sparkletude for pointing out there are other reasons his wiz might not have chat
My point was we have no way to know. We just see the circle with slash through it.

I've had a lot of people tell me in game that if you see that, it means they can't read what you type either. But that's not true because we can't know the limitations they have. We also can't know why.

I'm not sure why Oran's post correcting me got upvotes from two people because it had nothing to do with my point nor did I claim anything different than what they had said, if someone understood my post/point.

Yes, if they were sanctioned with a muting, they were sanctioned with a muting. But not everyone who is unable to type was sanctioned. To us it all 'looks' the same. A circle with slash through it, which, also going from past topics in these forums, players simply refer to as 'muted.'
The OP referred to muted not sanctioned, and muted can mean more than one thing, in player parlance. If KI *mutes a player* then yes that would sound like a sanction. How many types of chat there are, and what KI does, doesn't really pertain to my point, because my point was that we can't know why we see someone wearing a circle w/slash, or unable to type. Some keep their chat that way because they hate typing or don't want to socialize (they've said so in these forums in the past), and some want their children to be 'more protected' when people are unable to text chat with them.

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
SparkleTude on May 19, 2018 wrote:
My point was we have no way to know. We just see the circle with slash through it.

I've had a lot of people tell me in game that if you see that, it means they can't read what you type either. But that's not true because we can't know the limitations they have. We also can't know why.

I'm not sure why Oran's post correcting me got upvotes from two people because it had nothing to do with my point nor did I claim anything different than what they had said, if someone understood my post/point.

Yes, if they were sanctioned with a muting, they were sanctioned with a muting. But not everyone who is unable to type was sanctioned. To us it all 'looks' the same. A circle with slash through it, which, also going from past topics in these forums, players simply refer to as 'muted.'
The OP referred to muted not sanctioned, and muted can mean more than one thing, in player parlance. If KI *mutes a player* then yes that would sound like a sanction. How many types of chat there are, and what KI does, doesn't really pertain to my point, because my point was that we can't know why we see someone wearing a circle w/slash, or unable to type. Some keep their chat that way because they hate typing or don't want to socialize (they've said so in these forums in the past), and some want their children to be 'more protected' when people are unable to text chat with them.
I upvoted your post and Oran's post because you're both right and making good points.

Oran is pointing out that if the OP is using the term 'muted' correctly then it does mean sanctioned; you were pointing out that players sometimes use the term to mean a character who can not speak, which doesn't necessarily involve sanctions.

It's helpful to discuss the ways we all use words. For those who use the term 'muted' to mean 'menu chat' it's helpful for them to know that choice of term could imply sanctions have been applied to the account. For me assuming the OP meant a sanctioned account it is helpful to be reminded people don't always use the term in a literal sense.

Sometimes people can have different views on things but both be right. I appreciate both your post and Oran's post because it helps the OP get the relevant advice and opinions so he can make a decision. When it comes to a post where the OP is asking for advice, help or support; the only thing that really matters is that they get the information and ideas that will help them make their decisions and that they feel supported by the community.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
SparkleTude on May 19, 2018 wrote:

That's the whole point of my post. People are using the term "muted" incorrectly. Muted is specifically labeled as a sanctioned term according to the official KI Player's guide. Menu chat is the term for players who cannot use text chat (whether they were sanctioned or not). Muted chat is not an official term for KI chat, but rather an action taken against account.

Your post is valid that there are some players who cannot use text chat due to no fault of their own. However, those are menu chat players, not muted players.

All my post was intending to do was clarify the difference you already pointed out, but with the official terms KI has already given the different categories of chat (and hopefully stop the incorrect labeling of menu chat players as "muted players").

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Oran of Urz on May 20, 2018 wrote:
That's the whole point of my post. People are using the term "muted" incorrectly. Muted is specifically labeled as a sanctioned term according to the official KI Player's guide. Menu chat is the term for players who cannot use text chat (whether they were sanctioned or not). Muted chat is not an official term for KI chat, but rather an action taken against account.

Your post is valid that there are some players who cannot use text chat due to no fault of their own. However, those are menu chat players, not muted players.

All my post was intending to do was clarify the difference you already pointed out, but with the official terms KI has already given the different categories of chat (and hopefully stop the incorrect labeling of menu chat players as "muted players").
I understood your post.

"Incorrect" can, believe it or not, be a subjective term.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
SparkleTude on May 21, 2018 wrote:
I understood your post.

"Incorrect" can, believe it or not, be a subjective term.
You might have missed the link I provided in an earlier post, so I copied the term verbatim from the Player's Guide:

"Mr. Lincoln then reads the log and assesses the situation. He determines how bad the offense was, looks up prior offenses for the reported individual, and based on that assessment he issues sanctions such as muting or banning and sends an email to the offending account explaining the violation and the sanctions."

Players could call menu chat, "quiet time" or "solitude", but it doesn't change the fact that KI refers to muting as a sanction.

Back to my original post, if the OP was in fact muted, then it is highly unlikely KI will approve the character transfer, given the guidelines that Dworgyn outlined. If the OP could only use menu chat (to no fault of their own, like under 18 at the time of account creation) and is mistakenly referring to that as mute chat, then that is up to KI's discretion for transfer.

I'm making a clear distinction between the terms, since one will end up costing the OP 80 dollars for nothing. In this case, the words matter. The OP clearly understands which category they fall into (menu or muted).

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Oran of Urz on May 22, 2018 wrote:
You might have missed the link I provided in an earlier post, so I copied the term verbatim from the Player's Guide:

"Mr. Lincoln then reads the log and assesses the situation. He determines how bad the offense was, looks up prior offenses for the reported individual, and based on that assessment he issues sanctions such as muting or banning and sends an email to the offending account explaining the violation and the sanctions."

Players could call menu chat, "quiet time" or "solitude", but it doesn't change the fact that KI refers to muting as a sanction.

Back to my original post, if the OP was in fact muted, then it is highly unlikely KI will approve the character transfer, given the guidelines that Dworgyn outlined. If the OP could only use menu chat (to no fault of their own, like under 18 at the time of account creation) and is mistakenly referring to that as mute chat, then that is up to KI's discretion for transfer.

I'm making a clear distinction between the terms, since one will end up costing the OP 80 dollars for nothing. In this case, the words matter. The OP clearly understands which category they fall into (menu or muted).
Why am I still being lectured?
Seems to be a trend in past weeks. I'm not a child, and I do not lack understanding.

You're talking at me. I've already stated that we are talking about two different things. I've already stated that I understand your first post. I've already stated that the 'correction' wasn't necessary, in the way it was given. I did not misspeak.

"Players could call menu chat, "quiet time" or "solitude", but it doesn't change the fact that KI refers to muting as a sanction."

I've never said it does. I was never talking about the KI rules. I pointed out that saying someone is muted does not necessarily mean they received a sanction. That's true regardless of your various points about the KI rules.

The rest is word salad. Moreover it's highly insulting to repeatedly be spoken to with this tone in the past weeks, here. No one here knows a thing about me or my 'real life' or education. You do not have to tell me that "words matter." It's also very insulting to presume I don't know that.

How do you know what "the OP clearly understands?" Besides, I was speaking to the broader topic and making a very specific point. If someone appears to be (does that suit you better?) muted, it does not mean they received a sanction. That's a fact no matter how many more times you post the same thing, and no matter how badly you wish to continue to 'wag a finger' I wish you would stop. Thank you.