Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Storm or Death?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Oct 26, 2012
Hi! I am gonna make my 7th character, and i'm unsure on the class. My highest two wizards are Life and Myth, if that gives you an idea on what i'm used to the most.

Delver
Nov 16, 2017
I'm a Storm wizard for the first time and I'm really enjoying it. She's fierce and strong. She has soloed the game so far and beat Jade Oni and the Kraken in Dragonspyre. The downside of her cards is fizzle rate. I think StarEdward told me Storm is the highest fizzle rate of all the schools. But I've figured out how to compensate for that. If there's any warrior in you it might be fun to try.

Alexis Dawnbreaker lvl 49 Storm

Survivor
Oct 26, 2012
Y'know, as a Life Solo'er, i'm used to a bit of challenge already. I'll consider Storm. It would be nice to have high damage for once.

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
Jordan Willow on Jan 17, 2018 wrote:
Y'know, as a Life Solo'er, i'm used to a bit of challenge already. I'll consider Storm. It would be nice to have high damage for once.
There is nothing quite like the thrill of a Fully Bladed, Fully Trapped, Forest Lord going critical on the entire mob...

The down side is waiting the appropriate number of rounds to set that all up and hope like crazy you don't spend your time healing yourself.

Steven Ghoststalker

Explorer
May 20, 2012
Survivor
Oct 26, 2012
Area51Alien on Jan 17, 2018 wrote:
There is nothing quite like the thrill of a Fully Bladed, Fully Trapped, Forest Lord going critical on the entire mob...

The down side is waiting the appropriate number of rounds to set that all up and hope like crazy you don't spend your time healing yourself.

Steven Ghoststalker
Someone understands me. Life feint is the best thing to happen to me.

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
Jordan Willow on Jan 20, 2018 wrote:
Someone understands me. Life feint is the best thing to happen to me.
Yes, another Life Soloer!

When I first started playing back in '09 I went with a Life Wizard for the sole fact that their school color is Green (I'm weird that way). We had a family account so I could only play the one wizard. I played under the faulty assumption that every school had a high percentage of cast for their native spells and lower percentage for secondary schools.

Imagine my surprise when I came back six years later on an account of my own (the kids had grown and have their own accounts). The first time I tried to play another school, the fizzle rate surprised the heck out of me so much in fact that I abandoned that wizard before we finished Unicorn Way. I'm now working on getting Steven maxed before I attempt a second wizard.

So in my long winded way, since you have played a Life Wizard to max and have played other schools, what is (in your opinion) the hardest school to play?

What differences in play style do each school necessitate? As you know solo Life is basically blade, hit, heal, and repeat. How do you play other schools?

Which school would you recommend as my second Wizard once I've maxed Steven?

Steven Ghoststalker

Survivor
Oct 26, 2012
I'm being honest when i say Jordan Willow is the highest ive ever gotten in a wizard, and he's only Level 81. I used to have an old account when I was younger which was a Level 53 Death, and my second highest level on this account is a Level 38 Myth, so i'm honestly not too experienced at anything besides Life. All my other wizards are at Krok still.

Being a life solo'er is an extremely hard challenge, as I gotta focus on constantly healing myself and blading up, because if im not fully bladed/trapped, I won't get the kill. From what i've of played of Myth though, it's pretty fun. I always did like using Sir Bedevere on my Life, so myth tactics involving minions weren't the most foreign thing for me.

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
Steven (Area51Alien) - Lol at that name by the way xD
Jordan.

Going to address you both with the one post.

So, I'd recommend which is the complete opposite of

Why Storm?

Well for the exact reason I mentioned earlier. It's the complete opposite of . While Life is more of a calm, slower paced, patient school filled with serenity, Storm is all about brutal power. The school is very demanding and high paced. The accuracy soon exceeds that of Life (at max of course or close to it with proper gear) and the unbelievable power you can dish out with a two pip spell will exceed that of 5+ pip spells life offers.

So, give it a try. It's different and sometimes, that can be a good thing, challenge yourself and expand your horizons.

As a storm you won't need to blade as much, but you will however have to cover your defenses leading me to say that the school is arguably one of the most difficult if not the most difficult school to play during the first tier (lower levels) of the game because of the school's lack of defenses and accuracy rate though.

However, if you're looking for a school closer to life, then is your best bet.

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
Jordan Willow on Jan 21, 2018 wrote:
I'm being honest when i say Jordan Willow is the highest ive ever gotten in a wizard, and he's only Level 81. I used to have an old account when I was younger which was a Level 53 Death, and my second highest level on this account is a Level 38 Myth, so i'm honestly not too experienced at anything besides Life. All my other wizards are at Krok still.

Being a life solo'er is an extremely hard challenge, as I gotta focus on constantly healing myself and blading up, because if im not fully bladed/trapped, I won't get the kill. From what i've of played of Myth though, it's pretty fun. I always did like using Sir Bedevere on my Life, so myth tactics involving minions weren't the most foreign thing for me.
Yeah, Sir Bedevere and a Monsterology minion is how I handle most of the Boss Battles. If can't get it done by my fourth solo attempt I call for a team up.

Steven is just shy of Lvl 90 just passed the Zultan Docks in Azteca

(btw there is a certain Monqusitan that you'll meet in Azteca, forced solo, took me 22 attempts. NOT fun.)

@Star Edward
Thank you for the advice

Steven Ghoststalker

Survivor
May 29, 2013
Storm I byfar the better questing and pvp school so I recommend storm but if you want a challenge play death

Survivor
Jan 03, 2018
Storm. Many people say Death is good for soloing, but this is so wrong. Storm levels faster than anything else because you quest so fast due to being able to win battles in 1 - 3 rounds. Death doesn't get an AoE spell until way late and it's too weak when you do get it. The biggest thing that helps soloing is AoE spells and Storm has the best of the bunch. Tempest is arguably the single strongest spell in the game. It's an AoE that charges infinitely. A level 30 Storm in Bazaar gear can play things right and blast out a 3K Tempest to all enemies, which is pretty insane.

Also, I disagree with worrying about defense as Storm. IMO the best defense is a good offense. If you spend much time casting Life or other defensive spells then you are doing it wrong. You need to go into battle blades up and blasting.

Having said that, I do recommend getting Tower Shield as your first secondary and yeah there are times when you are going to want to shield up of course, but don't waste time with Life spells on a Storm wizard.

Also get Elemental Blades and Reshuffle. IMO reshuffle is more important for Storm than many other toons for dungeons because Storm really likes a thin deck. You don't want a bunch of different cards in your deck, you want a few specific cards and Reshuffles. Also, IMO, farming for Treasure Cards is well worth it for Feint and Blades, which are pretty easy to get.

You should be able to have +10% Accuracy by level 30 easily with just Bazaar gear, and you can get around +20% with Zeus gear and some other stuff. If you add in a Lightening Strike that gives you 100% accuracy in your 30s.

Trust me, battle will go SO fast as Storm and yo'll be running through quests in no time.