Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Astral Spells

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Oct 08, 2016
Hey everyone! My wizard's name is Kane Raveneyes and he is currently a level 25 student. I'm not planning o spending any of my training points on a secondary school. As of the moment, I have good offense and a steady healing rate as well, so getting a secondary school would just be a waste of points.. Now I've been doing my research, reading through forums and speaking to players n game about this topic and I've been getting mixed reviews.

My question to you all is this, which astral schools should I learn and how far do I take my training points in them? I understand they come later in the game and you obtain them through Celestia, but I'm totally fine with the wait.

Thank you all, and stay awesome!

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
First off way to go for figuring out that a "secondary" school can be a waste. There are spells from other schools that one should train up to and then forget the rest. But by the time you get to Celestia, you will have earned enough additional points to train in Astral schools. That is if you do the Zeke Quests on each world.

Since you are a Death Wizard, you will get feint. Feint is an absolute must for any deck.

You will want to get the Tower shield from Ice and the multiple blades and traps (Death, Life, Myth) from Balance. I would also recommend (in your case) some attacks from either Life or Myth to use when you face a Death boss or minion. Because then your balance blades and traps will still work.

Someone help me here as I cannot remember (dang I hate getting old) which school does what, but you will want to train in the Astral school that buffs your damage. You might want to get a few accuracy buffs from the second school and completely avoid the transformation spells from the third school

Steven Ghoststalker

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
All comments in here are for PvE

It's universally agreed that Sun school has the best spells. That's the school that gives you the damage enhancing (fist) spells, and the blade (sharpened blade) and trap (potent trap) enhancing spells. it also gives you healing enhancing spells as well, but that card's benefit is subject to how you pay your individual wizard. It's my bread and butter for my life in healing configuration, but pointless for my death in damage configuration. Also, remember, you can buy TC versions of the first 3 (I believe) damage enhancing spells as treasure cards as long as you can get to the proper vendor.

As a death wizard, training ANY points in life is silly, UNLESS you have a specific use for it. As a death wizard, I NEVER used a spell that didn't heal me back. I didn't then, I don't now. In regards to Area51alien's comments about feint being an absolute necessary spell, the spirit blade/trap, accuracy buffing spells, and tower shield from ice, that's all relative to your playing style. I wont say (s)he is wrong, I will say that those spells don't fit in with my specific playing style. Instead of going for the spirit blade/traps (which I do have, but never use), I would say it is more important to have more death blades than anything else. The big difference is that Elemental blades cost a pip (and can take a power pip if that's all you have) while death blades cost zero pips. Also, unless you run a secondary attacking school, you're spending a pip to use 2 blades you wont ever touch. I only use Feint when my death wizard is in support mode, and I have 4 non-tc versions of it that can stack. As you can see, different strokes for different folks :) Happy hunting. Hope this helped

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
dayerider on Jan 1, 2018 wrote:
All comments in here are for PvE

It's universally agreed that Sun school has the best spells. That's the school that gives you the damage enhancing (fist) spells, and the blade (sharpened blade) and trap (potent trap) enhancing spells. it also gives you healing enhancing spells as well, but that card's benefit is subject to how you pay your individual wizard. It's my bread and butter for my life in healing configuration, but pointless for my death in damage configuration. Also, remember, you can buy TC versions of the first 3 (I believe) damage enhancing spells as treasure cards as long as you can get to the proper vendor.

As a death wizard, training ANY points in life is silly, UNLESS you have a specific use for it. As a death wizard, I NEVER used a spell that didn't heal me back. I didn't then, I don't now. In regards to Area51alien's comments about feint being an absolute necessary spell, the spirit blade/trap, accuracy buffing spells, and tower shield from ice, that's all relative to your playing style. I wont say (s)he is wrong, I will say that those spells don't fit in with my specific playing style. Instead of going for the spirit blade/traps (which I do have, but never use), I would say it is more important to have more death blades than anything else. The big difference is that Elemental blades cost a pip (and can take a power pip if that's all you have) while death blades cost zero pips. Also, unless you run a secondary attacking school, you're spending a pip to use 2 blades you wont ever touch. I only use Feint when my death wizard is in support mode, and I have 4 non-tc versions of it that can stack. As you can see, different strokes for different folks :) Happy hunting. Hope this helped
As always YMMV

Any advice you get will be based on the advisor's playing style.

I'm not wrong and neither is Dayerider

8-)

Steven Ghoststalker

Survivor
Oct 26, 2012
Damage enhancing sun spells are a life wizard's best friend.

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
As implied above:

School is highly recommended. - However, the school offers two types of spells; those that provide both accuracy and pierce buffs (accurate, sniper, extraordinary etc.) and those that provide solely damage (Tough, Monstrous, Giant etc.) Train the spells offering the boost in damage. It is something Necromancers will need.

School is also great. - Spells such as Fortify and Amplify are recommended and really does help in battle. Risky spells such as Beserk depends on your play style. I've it on my for example for that extra damage boosts it provides. The risk comes into play because the aura also attracts additional damage to you for the four rounds it last for, unless replaced.

School - Avoid this school at all cost.

As for my . I trained but ended up buying back my training points. Necromancers usually train second school if they intend on Pvping. If you've no intentions on this (like I did), then all my points went to the needed spells in the and school with quite a few to spare.

Good Luck!

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
Because you are playing Death, you will depend on getting health back from your drain spells. For that reason, I'd suggest the Sun astral spells for damage enhancement plus you might consider getting the Sun spells that boost pierce.

Especially for those pesky Life creatures that love to spam Death shields at the last second, having pierce will help you punch through the shields and get the most from your drains. Same goes for Ice and their beloved Tower shields.

Training Life for heals or Ice for shields is a choice that will depend on your playing style. If you're going to do a lot of team support, then definitely get these spells. If you're going to play aggressive and/or solo, you don't need them. Same goes for the Balance spells: Spirit blades & traps. Get these if you will be doing a lot of support or team runs, but they are otherwise optional.

Other spells to consider:
Reshuffle (Available from Mildred Farseer in Colossus Blvd. Good for PVP or small deck set-ups.)
Dispels (Also available from Mildred. Fire dispel is the one I found most use for, and Ice sometimes is useful.)
Stun Block (Available from Diego in Unicorn Way, gives two stun shields for 0 pips.)

Alia Misthaven
Fallon Raven

Survivor
May 29, 2010
I'm a little late but I thought I would say what I personally think are the what not to do with training points. Avoid moon magic like the plague, they look very flashy and neat but they become useless likely before you even finish the world you got them in and while they do get slightly better really deep into the school it's not worth all the training points (the least bad ones are the Azteca polymorphs as they are the most powerful and don't have any pre-required spells and shifts, which can be neat if you build your whole deck around them). You really don't need all the star spells, only really around 4, infallible is more for PvP, amplify is ok (it's good at level but there is a better damage boosting aura in Azteca), fortify is meh overall, conviction is highly situational, vengeance is really bad (20 critical rating is very low). For sun there are some spells that you won't use depending on how you play and arrow spells are not that great if you need pierce and accuracy for some reason use infallible and add a damage enchant instead, on top of that they cost too many training points. Sorry that that got a little rambly there , so I'll summarise it:
: Bad (shifts maybe), : Good (But you only really need a few), and : Great (Only a few you won't find useful and arrows not that useful)

As for the core schools, for a death doing PvE the only thing I can really recommend is tower shield (it is good to have as you can always cast this instead as passing) and spirit blade (this stacks with your school blade allowing you to do way more in one hit), your main school has you covered on most other things and when it comes to hits 90% of the time your owns school's hits will be better damage wise and if your thinking of others think more of their effects.

But overall this is just my 2 cents, play the game in whatever way seems most fun! I know I do that will all my wizards, I often think of an idea or theme and even if it is bad I make it work the best I can.