Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

I wanna be able to buff shadow spells

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Nov 05, 2012
Shadow creature spells are tough to use, but they don't give much for all their preparation, dark Shepard is nice but can't do to much damage, dark Nova is great for one-shots against minions or even bosses but really isn't worth it if your against a tough long dungeon/boss. I've never used dark strike but since it's not that much stronger than Shepard I'll assume it's under similar circumstances. So, I wanna be able to use spells like epic to boost them and do more damage with them to make them more viable.

I say this because even the jewels for buffing shadow give more base damage to it than any other class. Even the develpoers give shadow a boost because with how hard it is to boost shadow if your not balance (and even then it's not easy) so it's not to much to ask for.

Now I'm not saying we do right now, I got the vibe in mirage that we'll be going to the shadow realm eventually for whatever reason and it would make sense to get more adept power with shadow magic there, so if we get something like this then I'm fine with it.

Survivor
Mar 15, 2009
That would be nice. I believe this hasn't been done for one of two reasons. Either it's because it isn't counted as a spell to add damage to or because shadow damage would be too strong if you could do this (kind of like how you can't crit with the shadow spells.)

Though I don't think they're that tough to use as long as you have the shadow pip chance to make waiting for it a little more bearable. I've used them in the past as both a main and secondary attacks. It's all about having the patience to use them and understand that they will never be as strong as school specific spells (primarily due to gear limitations.) Then again, I main a balance wizard so it's not hard for me to buff it.

That aside, I'm with you on the buffed shadow spells. Dark Nova already gives almost 2k shadow damage on it's own though so some kind of balance might need to be considered. Cheers!

Michael Shadowblade 120

Explorer
Nov 05, 2012
The big problem is that shadow magic might become a huge thing later on, and thats why its made so difficult to even be feasible right now. Shadow isn't invincible but its essentially a massive augment to your attacks, specifically nova and shepard as nova is strong enough to take out low health mobs and Shepard can heal you back. Thing is in the far future when shadow chance gets a massive boost (unless we'll be changing that in empyrea or whatever next world we get) we could spam these spells and others which would make us OP and thats what the dev's worry about (Or thats what I assume, if any of them want to please feel free to correct me).

Now you could say, "Just treat them like regular spells, as we level up make them less and less useful against higher tier mobs" which would make these spells useless. I think what ki is trying to do is the smart way of upgrading, start small not huge, and work your way up to get the application where you want it to be.

Thing is, I believe letting us buff our shadow spells is the next logical step in that procedure, at least for Shepard and fiend, you could make the argument for nova since thats just storm owl for everyone.

Now there is a third reason I cannot really prove without extensive research, that being that the actual damage these spells normally have is not whats on the card, these spells buff themselves so their actual damage output is equal to those blades and traps added in if their not removed. Ergo, Shepard has 1312.5 damage at base, fiend has 1635.75 damage at base, nova has 2800 damage at base, which is why even if you can't spam them they still deserve the nerf they get.

problem? these aren't damages, enemies can dispel or remove the blades you put up and bosses almost always do if their cheats are good enough, so for anything save fodder these spells really can't boast these damages.