Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Wizard101 Runs poorly on my PC

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Oct 07, 2017
Hello,

My name is Daniel (Daniel DragonSword *InGame),
I have been playing Wizard101 for some time now, and while playing the game i experience severe lag,
I believe this is due to bad connection with the game's servers.

I have contacted support, and after some troubleshooting, support says that the lag is because of packet loss,
(latency) and there is nothing they can do, only my ISP can help. I have an ethernet cable, which means better internet connection, but that doesn't help in this case.

I have restarted my PC and my router, unplugged it, plugged it back in, cleaned my PC from dust,
checked for driver updates (everything is up to date) but I still experience lag. To be exact, the game runs perfectly fine, but it is constantly loading files at the top left corner of my screen (the spinning arrow), as if it's downloading the whole game again!

This causes slow reaction times, for example, I'm teleporting from the commons area to my dorm room, (I press the Home button), nothing happens for awhile, then, i get the teleportation effect, I wait some more, get into the loading screen for about a minute, finally get to my dorm, but all of my items are boxes and my pet is gone. Then, the loading at the top left corner shows up and loads everything for about 10 minutes. Let's not start talking about going to the commons, because that's just gonna take hours for the loading to complete. (even after it's finished loading the game still lags)

Everything else works perfectly on my computer, browsing on the internet and watching videos on YouTube works just fine, real fast. I have about 40 Mbps of connection speed, which is not bad at all.

My PC specs: (for anyone who's wondering)

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4460 CPU @ 3.20Ghz
Installed memory (RAM): 8.00 GB (3.46 GB usable)
System type: 32-bit Operating System, x64-based processor

NVDIA Control Panel
GeForce GTX 750 Ti

Does anyone have any clue as to how to fix this?

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
Did this problem start recently, or have you always had trouble running W101? If it's a fairly recent development, maybe you can try a system restore to see if one of the Windows updates caused the problem.

That's all I can think of to suggest, though. I'm not fully technical-minded.

Oh! Did you contact your own ISP? Maybe you need a new router, for example.

Alia Misthaven

Champion
Jun 26, 2009
Do a factory reset. Erase everything. Full format. Then reinstall wiz. Good luck.

Delver
Oct 27, 2009
I went through something like this after a computer upgrade. I knew the game was actually reloading everything, so I tried to be patient. Every time I saw someone new in the game, it had to load everything they were wearing and riding. Yes, Commons was to be avoided. When the game seemed to have had enough time to load everything, except for the occasional lag in busy areas with lots of people,( talking days here, not hours), I was still having a long time in the load screens and having trouble with specific items I was wearing, and with the contents of my house. With the computer upgrade, I knew it ought to be running faster, not slower. In my case, it seemed to be caused by a corrupted update or a small glitch in the update for the flash player. You might want to re-update yours. Maybe there was a blip in connection during the update, or a small flaw that is now fixed. If not, maybe an earlier version, before the trouble occurred. Good luck.

Explorer
Apr 17, 2012
Mr Talon on Nov 1, 2017 wrote:
Do a factory reset. Erase everything. Full format. Then reinstall wiz. Good luck.
Wow. I mean wow. No don't do that. That should be your last resort since there is so many other reason you could be loosing packets in the first place.

First I would find out why our getting packet loses. It could just be a bad wire coming into your house. I would have your isp check and see if there getting packet loses on there end to you. It's a simple process for them to do. If so I'm sure they'll send out a technician to see what the problem is.

It might even be a bad modem or router. Those things do go from time to time also.