Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Which School Should I Play?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Sep 06, 2011
Hello Wizard101 community! This is my first message boards post so please give me any critiques for the future.

So for a long time i've been trying to find the school that's right for me. I want to solo because none of my friends play anymore and the playerbase in general has seemed to die down. I got to level 56 on Fire and level 30-something on Balance, but deleted them both. Currently, I have a Death, a Myth, and a Storm. I really enjoy playing on my storm but am finding him too difficult to solo with.

In addition, I have a level 58 Ice and a level 72 Life and am conflicted on which of these two to use (they're my two favorites). Ice is in The Floating Land, Celestia and Life is in Zamunda, Zafaria. Life has gotten a bit repetitive, but it's likely because i've become so overleveled and everything is easy. I'd like to finish (max level and beat Mirage) one of these characters, then the other. I was looking for advice on which wizard I should finish first.

Also, I still have an open character slot and have been considering giving either Balance or Fire another shot. If there are any Legendary or higher Sorcerers and/or Pyromancers reading this, I would love your advice. Which school should I give a second chance?

Thank you in advance!

Delver
Dec 18, 2011
If you want to solo Death is the best. But only after they get crow up to that point its a struggle as we dont have an aoe

Defender
Jun 15, 2013
I have the one Balance wizard, but if you want to solo, in my opinion, go with Death. I find them to be quite formidable and hard to defeat.

Defender
Dec 18, 2010
I guess it depends. Balance can take a lot of strategy at times, at least in my eyes, especially if you always solo at the higher levels. Though some people probably think otherwise, that is what I think after 90 levels of balance, even though I often took breaks to play on my other characters. I seemed to have an easier time soloing on my fire than my balance, and it is a nice change of play style when I take a break from sorcery to play my fire.

I think it just depends on your play style, and whether or not you plan to solo all you can.

Survivor
Sep 06, 2011
Just to clarify, all my wizards are currently level 50-59 besides my Life. Also, I am looking for an order to play my wizards based on your advice.
Right now, the order stands at:

Life/Ice
Ice/Life (Whichever is less popular)
Death (More popular than Myth)
Fire/Balance (Only have room for one)
Myth

As previously stated, I am looking to save my Storm for team play so I did not include it in the order.

Survivor
Sep 16, 2012
Hi! i think that you should really solo death i tried and its pretty awesome. Death is pretty cool cause you can cast storng attacks and heal yourself too!

Explorer
Feb 13, 2011
Soloing with death is much easier but not until you get scarecrow (unless you craft deer knight). Before that, it's really hard without a teammate. As for balance, and please keep in mind this might be wrong now since it was a really long time ago, soloing is not going to be the easiest (it's really good in a team environment though) but doing it at mid-level and high-mid level is going to be the hardest because the difficulty of the game is increasing but you don't have the spells (shadow-enhanced, mainly) or gear (Darkmoor) to compensate.

Champion
Mar 05, 2012
I agree with you all;

I have all schools and it was the easiest and most fun to solo the game on Death, then Fire. (if you run your death, highly recommend farming or crafting Deer Knight ).

Defender
Apr 06, 2013
Frostzilla 38 on Jun 17, 2017 wrote:
Hello Wizard101 community! This is my first message boards post so please give me any critiques for the future.

So for a long time i've been trying to find the school that's right for me. I want to solo because none of my friends play anymore and the playerbase in general has seemed to die down. I got to level 56 on Fire and level 30-something on Balance, but deleted them both. Currently, I have a Death, a Myth, and a Storm. I really enjoy playing on my storm but am finding him too difficult to solo with.

In addition, I have a level 58 Ice and a level 72 Life and am conflicted on which of these two to use (they're my two favorites). Ice is in The Floating Land, Celestia and Life is in Zamunda, Zafaria. Life has gotten a bit repetitive, but it's likely because i've become so overleveled and everything is easy. I'd like to finish (max level and beat Mirage) one of these characters, then the other. I was looking for advice on which wizard I should finish first.

Also, I still have an open character slot and have been considering giving either Balance or Fire another shot. If there are any Legendary or higher Sorcerers and/or Pyromancers reading this, I would love your advice. Which school should I give a second chance?

Thank you in advance!
If you are going to solo, perhaps you should solo death as it is much easier with those self heal attacks, but its up to you mostly if you want to solo death.

Alejandro

Defender
Jul 27, 2010
I haven't had too much experience with Balance, and I got a Fire to like, lvl 36 or so, but i deleted him long ago. Fire can be really annoying and difficult to play with in certain parts, but they do have excellent variety and offense. I hear that Fire is a very good school in the high levels, though I also hear the same for balance. I'd say to give Balance another try. If you're looking to make a new Wizard and solo, I highly recommend Death. Great at staying alive and has decent offense, along with healing.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
I don't like soloing death. So many creatures are death and that makes it harder to fight them.

I don't like using feint, and that's something a lot of death school people seem to love using. I don't really see a need for feint if you battle hard, and I dislike that it causes damage on the wizard when it hits.

I think Myth is a good solo one because you get a minion fairly early and because it's rarer to find myth enemies.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
If it's between balance and fire:
I love fire and it's so fun to play and a lot of enemies are ice.

Balance is good but it's not as powerful at hitting until you get high level. Once you get high level you will be called upon to help a lot because high level balance is very helpful to teams. Also there are not that many balance wizards.

So it depends if you want to solo or be called on to help a lot.

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
Having tried all schools up through at least level 75, I've found that any school can solo ... but some schools run battles faster than others. I like speed, so I've had the most fun soloing with Fire and Death. But I have successfully soloed Balance, Life and Ice as well and didn't struggle with any of them.

The schools I found most tedious when soloing were Storm and Myth. Myth was most frustrating until I learned not to use the minions. (Ha! Irony.) On the other hand, Myth taught me strategy because they don't have a power-hitting AoE until level 100!

For advice, I'd say:

You already know which school you're enjoying most and which one you didn't like at all. There were two that you deleted at level 55 or earlier, which suggests you didn't like playing them much. Take that into consideration. You also have one wizard that is level 72, some 15 levels closer to Mirage than your next highest wizard. If getting to the end of the game quickly is what you want, I'd suggest sticking with your Life since he is the closest to your goal.

On the other hand, if enjoying the journey is what you want, pick whatever wizard you like best for now and then just ... have fun. Maybe Life really isn't rocking your boat right now so go ahead with Ice. Or Death. Or Myth. Catch one of them up to your Life and decide from there which one you're having a blast with.

And always remember ... you can change your favorite at any time.

Alia Misthaven, 120

Astrologist
Dec 31, 2009
Be honest when you answer the test in the beginning, I have found it does honestly pick your more "natural" school.

Survivor
Jul 30, 2010
Frostzilla 38 on Jun 17, 2017 wrote:

Thank you in advance!
i think ice is a good school it has high health and if you place the right blades and traps your spells do a lot