Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Mutates

AuthorMessage
Geographer
Nov 22, 2015
Mastermind
Oct 21, 2013
I'm sure if there wasn't a point for it, KI wouldn't have made them. Even though they aren't used that often players still do use them.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
PvP- Deadly Minotaur, Midnight Sprite, Storm Elf, Thunderbird etc are all essential tools in a PvPers kit.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
for MOST people, no, there is no point to them. Regardless of KI's intent, I dont think most people use mutates or shift spells generally speaking. Of course, now that I said that, I know somebody will come forward saying how shifts/mutates are the cornerstone of their strategy lol Personally, I dont waste my time with them. If I need to "transmute" a spell, I'll use a prism :)

Champion
Mar 25, 2011
Fable Finder on Feb 18, 2017 wrote:
Is there any point in having mutates?
Some of them give really neat bonuses!

Phoenix -> Phoenix The storm version gives 3 universal traps each +30% after it hits

Kraken -> Kraken Divides up the damage of kraken to deal some damage and the rest as an overtime

Banshee -> Banshee No Effect

Sprite -> Midnight Sprite Changes to a damage spell that gives a +20% universal trap after it hits

Locust Swarm -> Locust Swarm Divides up the damage of locust swarm to deal some damage and the rest as an overtime

Wyvern -> Wyvern No Effect

Minotaur -> Minotaur No Effect

It really depends which mutates you train according to your school as some of them can create really nice combos for hitting! I would definitely suggest experimenting and buying your training points back when you can if you want.

Hope to see you all in the Spiral!
Nathan GreenEyes 120 PvP Commander Main
Nathan GreenEyes 110 Couch Potato Hoarder
Ryan HexPyre 104 Always Dying
Nathan GreenEyes 80+ Hot in more ways than one (lol)

Geographer
Nov 22, 2015
Mirajane7887 on Feb 19, 2017 wrote:
I'm sure if there wasn't a point for it, KI wouldn't have made them. Even though they aren't used that often players still do use them.
I mean, KI isn't perfect. They made the moon school, for example, which is generally useless.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
Only if you have a Mastery Amulet for the school you are mutating a spell to. If it is mutating from fire to storm, you need the Storm Mastery. I don't use mutates myself but some do.

Mastermind
Oct 21, 2013
Fable Finder on Feb 20, 2017 wrote:
I mean, KI isn't perfect. They made the moon school, for example, which is generally useless.
The Moon school isn't generally useless. Maybe it is for you, but not for others. People have their own opinions.

Delver
Jul 24, 2015
Mirajane7887 on Feb 20, 2017 wrote:
The Moon school isn't generally useless. Maybe it is for you, but not for others. People have their own opinions.
I'm with Fable Finder on this one.

-Shifts cost 3 pips; power pips do not benefit the caster. They add little utility and are enormously inefficient.

-Polymorphs change your deck into something for which you gain no gear benefit. The health totals are level-independent, making them age poorly.

Conceptually, is pretty cool, but the implementation makes training the spells very suboptimal. The only benefit to these spells is if the player likes the shapeshifting graphics.

Delver
Jul 24, 2015
Mutate spells are very problematic. While they can give you access to some exotic spells, the cost in training points and gear is substantial; they also slow down your deck and prevent other enchantments from being used.

Note that these enchantments are usable only on trained spells. This means that a wizard looking to benefit from the Mutate must also sink enough Training Points into another school to get the spell they want to mutate.

Unlike most enchantments, Mutate may only be used with one specific spell. If you use these, they will clutter and slow down your deck while you wait for the matching spell to surface.

If you mutate a spell from your own school, it will do subpar damage and have essentially no chance to critical.

TL;DR Don't train mutates.

Geographer
Nov 22, 2015
Eric Stormbringer on Feb 19, 2017 wrote:
PvP- Deadly Minotaur, Midnight Sprite, Storm Elf, Thunderbird etc are all essential tools in a PvPers kit.
Could you elaborate on how PvPers use them?

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
Fable Finder on Feb 21, 2017 wrote:
Could you elaborate on how PvPers use them?
Certainly:

Thunderbird- Of great use in max lvl pvp. An open shot using standard meta gear deals 1200+ while leaving three 30% traps that can be used in future combos and burst strikes. It is also a good answer to shields due to the buffs it leaves back.

Deadly Minotaur- Used from magus to max to allow death some ability to spike damage from second and around shields while making good use of it's blades

Midnight sprite- Great for blade stacking and dark nova centric strategies. It removes universal debuffs such as weakness/tower shield while keaving your blades intact for 5/7 schools. Plus it leaves a 20% trap. All this for one pip.

Storm Elf- Storm lacks a trained DoT and really struggles vs shield spam. Elf helps to address that.