Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

A Price on Pips

AuthorMessage
Geographer
Apr 29, 2012
In your early levels, only Crown-players have more than 1 pip/power pip at the start of a fight. Then you encountered pip-giving wands, a gloriously helpful device that let you start with 1 pip and a second pip/power pip. Then, around Dragonspyre, we met power pip-giving wands, letting us start with 1 power pip and a second pip/power pip. Around Avalon, most people are starting every fight with 2 power pips. Then past Azteca, most were starting with 2 power pips and a third pip from their pip-giving decks. With Mirage coming soon and almost every level 110 I meet starting with 2 power pips, 1 pip and 1 pip: I think we need a change.

Most importantly, for about 75 levels we've been having every wand give a power pip: this needs to end. Give some new wands a normal pip and superior stats/damage on item cards compared to the power pip-giving wands. And also, why not have some crafted/Shadow-Forged/Crowns wands give a pip instead?

Then, with decks. I'd like to see some decks starting to give no pips with great stats/item cards, some keeping with 1 pip and normal stats, and maybe some others (like level 118/120 no-auction style) giving 1 power pip and relatively bad stats.

It's not exactly important now, but more and more players past level 100 are becoming infallible in accuracy, getting a free critical from damage, halving any damage they take, and starting with 5 pips. Players are getting more and more OP, and I think Polaris tried to nerf that, but Darkmoor gear keeps them immortal. This pip change would take a large swipe at that unstoppability.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Is your problem with this PvP based? I see no issue in PvE, our players are getting more powerful as we should as we level up. The bosses and mobs are also getting smarter and more powerful with harder cheats and massive resist/pierce. Wizards are not OP in PvE and FAR from immortal. Go solo Rat and tell me again how immortal you are.

Geographer
Apr 29, 2012
seethe42 on Oct 31, 2016 wrote:
Is your problem with this PvP based? I see no issue in PvE, our players are getting more powerful as we should as we level up. The bosses and mobs are also getting smarter and more powerful with harder cheats and massive resist/pierce. Wizards are not OP in PvE and FAR from immortal. Go solo Rat and tell me again how immortal you are.
I just encountered a level 110 with 96% resist, and >300 block with 2 square sockets unused; they could relatively easily take 0 damage from any mob without pierce. And even the mob did have pierce, they'd have to whittle their way through 5,797 health. Unsurprisingly they held the title of PvP Warlord, but even in PvE they could probably solo Polaris with ease. And aside from their 110 amulet and deck, everything on them is level 100 or less: meaning they probably did.

Then next to them stood a level 110 with 115% damage, 42% accuracy, and 643 critical. Combined with a respectable >200 block and 33% defence. Can't fizzle, deals more than double without the critical, and will pretty much always still critical.

Not to mention that both of them start every fight with 5 pips, and one had 6% pip chance which is one of the highest I've certainly seen. These are just 2 examples of OP players. Use a Shrike against the and your damage is still halved, put a Weakness on the and they'll still deal ~160% without a critical.

Even though these problems would be insane in PvP, I never PvP and my problems come from the fact that a lot of mobs, and some bosses, don't have the pierce to do more than tickle the : or have the right debuffs to not get killed by the in 2 turns. There need to be some form(s) of nerfing, be it on what stats do/mean, or just on particular items, but quite a few people are ridiculously OP. Granted, this reply was biased, the had pitiful damage and the ... Actually the only 0 I read on them was stun resistance (which is hardly important as so few creatures even stun). But that doesn't mean these points aren't valid.

I suggested this mode of pip-nerfing because it applies universally and adds some more diverse mechanics into the game. But while many players still struggle in late-game (especially the Rat), some are plain unstoppable.

Defender
Mar 08, 2011
I believe that we should get gear that starts with a shadow pip, also more stats and cards. I personally do not like the crowns system, and I understand why it's there but I don't want to put a price on stats. this is an RPG, everyone gets more powerful. it's fine wizards have this many pips because the enemies have adapted, in fact, with exalted bosses most have a mana burn cheat, which makes your pips hurt you. basically, I agree that we need more gear diversity, but I disagree with making anything more pay to win.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Bigboss1029 on Oct 31, 2016 wrote:
I believe that we should get gear that starts with a shadow pip, also more stats and cards. I personally do not like the crowns system, and I understand why it's there but I don't want to put a price on stats. this is an RPG, everyone gets more powerful. it's fine wizards have this many pips because the enemies have adapted, in fact, with exalted bosses most have a mana burn cheat, which makes your pips hurt you. basically, I agree that we need more gear diversity, but I disagree with making anything more pay to win.
I don't think the OP was referring to a crown price. He was referring to the "price" of having some stats lower in exchange for the additional pips and some with higher stats but with lower pips.

Defender
Mar 08, 2011
seethe42 on Nov 1, 2016 wrote:
I don't think the OP was referring to a crown price. He was referring to the "price" of having some stats lower in exchange for the additional pips and some with higher stats but with lower pips.
That's fair

Geographer
Nov 22, 2015
Blaze Sandblade on Oct 30, 2016 wrote:
In your early levels, only Crown-players have more than 1 pip/power pip at the start of a fight. Then you encountered pip-giving wands, a gloriously helpful device that let you start with 1 pip and a second pip/power pip. Then, around Dragonspyre, we met power pip-giving wands, letting us start with 1 power pip and a second pip/power pip. Around Avalon, most people are starting every fight with 2 power pips. Then past Azteca, most were starting with 2 power pips and a third pip from their pip-giving decks. With Mirage coming soon and almost every level 110 I meet starting with 2 power pips, 1 pip and 1 pip: I think we need a change.

Most importantly, for about 75 levels we've been having every wand give a power pip: this needs to end. Give some new wands a normal pip and superior stats/damage on item cards compared to the power pip-giving wands. And also, why not have some crafted/Shadow-Forged/Crowns wands give a pip instead?

Then, with decks. I'd like to see some decks starting to give no pips with great stats/item cards, some keeping with 1 pip and normal stats, and maybe some others (like level 118/120 no-auction style) giving 1 power pip and relatively bad stats.

It's not exactly important now, but more and more players past level 100 are becoming infallible in accuracy, getting a free critical from damage, halving any damage they take, and starting with 5 pips. Players are getting more and more OP, and I think Polaris tried to nerf that, but Darkmoor gear keeps them immortal. This pip change would take a large swipe at that unstoppability.
I'm not in Polaris yet so I'm just going to assume this is a problem (some people, on this thread too, don't think it is).

I disagree with your proposed solution. Nerfing wizards doesn't just impact some of the more powerful ones, it also impacts the weaker ones. Scaling could again be used to resolve this; wizards with better stats have to face harder bosses. And if Wizard101 doesn't want to do that, they can make the enemies more powerful and maybe even give them better/more player stats. Sure, this would also impact weaker wizards, but not to the same degree as direct nerfing. Not all battles have to be solo, for example.