Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Schools need uniqueness!

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Jul 09, 2009
I just felt the need to get this off my chest. When we all started in unicorn way, it was pretty obvious that every school had their unique thing about them. Remember when you would love to use lightning snake because of the high damage, but it was a risky move because you could fizzle? Or using frost beetle but even the max damage didn't kill some mobs?
As our wizards have gotten more advanced, the schools have became more similar to each other. Let's start with what's supposed to make every school unique.
- High health, high defenses, lowest attacks
- Medium health, not known for defenses but known for good attack spells that drain
- Medium high health, a mix of all the schools (mostly elemental), hard to buff but hard to defend against
- Medium health, OKAY attacks and has a LOT of heals
- Medium health, medium attacks, mostly known for stuns and minions
- Lower health, pretty high attacks, DOT spells
- Lowest health, highest attacks, hits in one big attack.

Now that that has been stated, lots of these schools are not what they were made to be like. I hate to throw ice under the bus, but they are the best example for my argument. Ice wizards usually have about 7k health, which is their norm and is one of the biggest things that make them unique. They can also train a shield that will cut in half the next incoming damage of any school (ignoring Pierce here). They also have the ability to shield others in one turn and steal defenses. This is what makes the ice school ice. AFTER darkmoor came and all the new jewels, ice can maintain ALL those stats, along with around 90 damage (not low at all), and high pierce for their school. Ice right now has the total package, and has basically no flaws. The icebird treasure card is 2 pips, gets rid of shield(s) and gives ice a +40% blade? That sounds like a spell for an offensive school. Let's bring in myth. Once someone packs conviction or stun blocks, myth is basically just an attacking school with no super unique effects. Even minions at this point aren't worth it. The highest minion that they can use in pvp that I'm aware of isn't Talos, and it's not exactly the most helpful minion at max level. Balance is the last school I would like to talk about. Not only can they do over 1k damage with a 4 pip spell (sounds kind of like a storm/fire thing?), they can also add not one, but two rebuffs. Given that we can only defend ourselves with a couple of spells against balance (no set shields) and they have pretty good health for the amount of damage they can do, it's a REALLY good school, but the schools just don't seem balanced anymore (no pun intended). Honestly, I'm just throwing my ideas out here. Thoughts?

Squire
Oct 29, 2011
Myth has lower health than fire. I'm pretty sure life has high health and same with balance but not completely sure about that. I would also say fire has medium health.

Squire
Oct 29, 2011
I've also gotta say that death is good with ward stuff like balance which is mostly good at blading. Also ice has very high defense and myth is not mainly minions and stunning, it is also pretty powerful when attacking. Fire also isn't purely DOT because it is also very powerful.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
frostednutella on Sep 27, 2016 wrote:
Myth has lower health than fire. I'm pretty sure life has high health and same with balance but not completely sure about that. I would also say fire has medium health.
Myth and Fire have the same base health, they tie for second lowest. It's pretty much like this.
Highest

Lowest

Squire
Oct 29, 2011
seethe42 on Sep 27, 2016 wrote:
Myth and Fire have the same base health, they tie for second lowest. It's pretty much like this.
Highest

Lowest
I feel like fire gear gives more health than myth gear.

Survivor
Jul 08, 2011
I agree. I also think spells need more uniqueness. Especially with the 108 life spell. When I first saw the animation and effects, I remember thinking to myself "Wow, that is a weird death spell" Now it appears that life is the weakest school and ice is one of the strongest. The game needs more diversity when it comes to schools.

Survivor
Oct 17, 2011
Is anyone gonna mention Storm here? I mean the health is terrible, defense everything except damage. They have a disadvantage in uniqueness because everything about them sucks and their damage is great. If an Ice walked into a 1v1 with a storm, lets be honest, unless the ice is just really bad with strategy, the storm will always lose. That NEEDS to be fixed.

Squire
Oct 29, 2011
garrett9939 on Oct 16, 2016 wrote:
Is anyone gonna mention Storm here? I mean the health is terrible, defense everything except damage. They have a disadvantage in uniqueness because everything about them sucks and their damage is great. If an Ice walked into a 1v1 with a storm, lets be honest, unless the ice is just really bad with strategy, the storm will always lose. That NEEDS to be fixed.
Their damage and critical can be so high it's amazing.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
frostednutella on Oct 18, 2016 wrote:
Their damage and critical can be so high it's amazing.
Critical is now an insignificant offensive factor in PvP and Storm's damage is only about 10% ahead of the rest of the meta in balanced gear. Meanwhile it's health is lagging 25% + behind other classes, it has few significant utilities and it's functional spells are rng based.

Squire
Oct 29, 2011
Eric Stormbringer on Oct 18, 2016 wrote:
Critical is now an insignificant offensive factor in PvP and Storm's damage is only about 10% ahead of the rest of the meta in balanced gear. Meanwhile it's health is lagging 25% + behind other classes, it has few significant utilities and it's functional spells are rng based.
My point was that storm can do so much damage that it evens out the low defense they have.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
frostednutella on Oct 18, 2016 wrote:
My point was that storm can do so much damage that it evens out the low defense they have.
Our point is that you are incorrect: storm's damage is not adequate compensation particularly in light of recent changes and the realities of today's meta(which is what I demonstrated above). The evidence for my position can be clearly seen in the ranked PvP arena and leaderboards.

Squire
Oct 29, 2011
Eric Stormbringer on Oct 19, 2016 wrote:
Our point is that you are incorrect: storm's damage is not adequate compensation particularly in light of recent changes and the realities of today's meta(which is what I demonstrated above). The evidence for my position can be clearly seen in the ranked PvP arena and leaderboards.
You did not get the point I was trying to put accross, the person was complaining about the storm stats being low, however they were only mentioning the defensive stats and I was trying to tell this person that their offensive stats make up for their defensive stats and that storm is not meant to have high health or defense.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
frostednutella on Oct 20, 2016 wrote:
You did not get the point I was trying to put accross, the person was complaining about the storm stats being low, however they were only mentioning the defensive stats and I was trying to tell this person that their offensive stats make up for their defensive stats and that storm is not meant to have high health or defense.
That is precisely the issue at hand. Their offensive stats are not making up for their defensive stats. This can clearly be seen(as I mentioned before) in the ranked PvP arena. I don't think anyone is advocating for storm to have high health or resist. What we are advocating for is some utility, some consistency, a little bit more health and a move away from RNG mechanics(as I stated in another thread)

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
frostednutella on Oct 20, 2016 wrote:
No, Storm isn't meant to have high health or resist, but it's not meant to have horrendously low amounts of health either. It has more than a 3000 health gap from Ice and barely gets any more damage to compensate with it.

Squire
Oct 29, 2011
Eric Stormbringer on Oct 20, 2016 wrote:
That is precisely the issue at hand. Their offensive stats are not making up for their defensive stats. This can clearly be seen(as I mentioned before) in the ranked PvP arena. I don't think anyone is advocating for storm to have high health or resist. What we are advocating for is some utility, some consistency, a little bit more health and a move away from RNG mechanics(as I stated in another thread)
The person who I commented to did not mention the damage not making up for the defense which is why I told them that their damage was extremely high and that they are not defense type wizards.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
frostednutella on Oct 21, 2016 wrote:
The person who I commented to did not mention the damage not making up for the defense which is why I told them that their damage was extremely high and that they are not defense type wizards.
Yes, he did mention it; he said: "They have a disadvantage in uniqueness because everything about them sucks and their damage is great."

Mastermind
Nov 19, 2014
frostednutella on Sep 28, 2016 wrote:
I feel like fire gear gives more health than myth gear.
myth more different school then fire (I think myth more better then fire) more greater attack then fire and fire as 1 nearly same as myth as double deck clued death wizard but second attack only overtime (fire wizard sun serpent does not does "add extra damage as aoe" after first single hits!

beside I wizard101 rio Olympics tournament just for fun

trying fine who best truly school best at pvp :)

fire as not have a win on mine bracket list (watching allot fire match) down do 0 Win/3 Lost (second chance to win a lost match) bracket :)

Squire
Oct 29, 2011
Eric Stormbringer on Oct 21, 2016 wrote:
Yes, he did mention it; he said: "They have a disadvantage in uniqueness because everything about them sucks and their damage is great."
That proves my point to how I was mentioning that he said the damage was great? Anyways, I had been talking about him complaining about storm having low defense, which at this point you haven't gotten the idea yet. I was only saying that storm is not meant to have high defense so one should not complain about it being low and then you say something that sort of turns the subject in another direction....

Squire
Oct 29, 2011
PvP King on Oct 21, 2016 wrote:
No, Storm isn't meant to have high health or resist, but it's not meant to have horrendously low amounts of health either. It has more than a 3000 health gap from Ice and barely gets any more damage to compensate with it.
In my opinion storm has very high damage and their attacks are also very high in damage too so I'm pretty sure it makes up for their low defense. Storm is meant to have low health though.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
frostednutella on Oct 22, 2016 wrote:
In my opinion storm has very high damage and their attacks are also very high in damage too so I'm pretty sure it makes up for their low defense. Storm is meant to have low health though.
Storm has less than half the health and resist of Ice and without having double the damage. They also have the lowest buffers except for Balance. There's a good reason Storm has been the lowest tier school in PvP since the beginning. Storm are great hitters in team play and manage in PvE solo, but they are by far the weakest school in single PvP.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
That proves my point to how I was mentioning that he said the damage was great? Anyways, I had been talking about him complaining about storm having low defense, which at this point you haven't gotten the idea yet. I was only saying that storm is not meant to have high defense so one should not complain about it being low and then you say something that sort of turns the subject in another direction....
What are you talking about? You are contradicting yourself. On Oct 21st you said: "The person who I commented to did not mention the damage not making up for the defense ." I just pointed out to you that he did mention that storm's damage was high, negating your statement. Obviously storm is not meant to have high defense, however,what we are pointing out to you is that its damage is not compensating for its weaknesses as can be seen in PvP.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
If you're "pretty sure it makes up for it" then can you explain these facts to me?

-Why does Storm have the lowest volume of wizards on the leaderboards?
-Why is storm commonly acknowledged as a low tier school by experienced pvp players?
-Why are there numerous threads on this very board complaining about Storm's PvP woes?
-Why does Storm have the least number of active and successful Ranked PvPers at max lvl?

Squire
Oct 29, 2011
seethe42 on Oct 24, 2016 wrote:
Storm has less than half the health and resist of Ice and without having double the damage. They also have the lowest buffers except for Balance. There's a good reason Storm has been the lowest tier school in PvP since the beginning. Storm are great hitters in team play and manage in PvE solo, but they are by far the weakest school in single PvP.
Damage and health may not be equivilant to eachother. Both aren't really in the same catagory, you can't really compare those two but storm has great spells.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
frostednutella on Oct 24, 2016 wrote:
Damage and health may not be equivilant to eachother. Both aren't really in the same catagory, you can't really compare those two but storm has great spells.
Every school has great spells while some schools have spells that are more useful for PvP than others. Storm has some of the least useful 1v1 PvP spells. It has no offensive/defensive utility spells(such as loremaster). It has no DoT, Double hit or delayed hit(such as burning rampage). It's only spell that leaves a buff behind in a 1v1 scenario also has a chance to leave a debuff. It's signature blade removal spells are near useless in the current PvP meta and it's low health means that it's unreliable recovery option is often not enough.

Delver
Jan 17, 2013
frostednutella on Oct 24, 2016 wrote:
Storm's spells may do lots of damage, but that does not even help in this meta.

I'm curious... do you have a max Storm?