Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Wizard101 Stereotypes that need to stop!

AuthorMessage
Archon
Feb 07, 2011
as a balance wizard, i may be a utility machine... but, if you think that means i am a tool for your use, then you are very mistaken.

if you ask nicely, we won't have a problem. but i've run into people who say things like, "give me that blade". to those people, i don't respond, and i keep my blades/heals/etc. for myself.

i share with people who are polite and helpful. i've been doing mirage with 2 longtime friends from these boards~ brynnerofreign (ice) is our hitter, black pearl (life) is our healer, and i just buff the heck out of everything because i know that they respect what i do. we decided on these roles amongst ourselves, and we can rotate if we want to switch wizards, etc.

my life wizard is a terrible healer... i built her for damage, back when soloing was still a thing, and it always confused people. still, if brynner, pearl, and i were to go into a dungeon and i was on that wizard, you can bet your bottom dollar that i'd find a way to make my (questionable) healing abilities work for us.

-von "bark orders at me and you're gonna have a bad time" shadowsong

Delver
Aug 21, 2013
Here's my brief list...

- W101 is only for kids, so anyone who is an adult shouldn't be playing it. WRONG.
- Someone's level reflects who they are. ie, high levels are stuck up, bossy, arrogant, etc. low levels are dumb, kids, etc.
- People with "Team Leader" badge must be good players. Yeah, no. Anyone can get that badge without actually being a team player, much less a team leader. While working to get that badge myself, I came across others who were trying to get it, but would join the boss battle (or only battle if a single battle dungeon) and kill when others weren't fully in battle. Meaning that those who weren't in got no credit and had to do it again. Bad enough when it's a single battle, but when it's a longer dungeon, that's time that they lost.
- On the flip side, when someone assumes that I'm going to be like that, a comment is made along the lines of "watch he's going to kill them without us..." and then when I don't (which I wasn't going to anyways), I did it because they said something and I'm trying to look like a good guy. Next time, whisper your suspicion so that when I don't kill them, you'll know that I'm being honest when I say that I'm not like that.
- Relationships. Since I'm single, I must want a gf. Um, no. I'm not looking to date at all, even more so in-game.
- Rude. If you're talking to someone in the open, anyone can join in. If it's a private conversation, do it in whispers or at a dorm room, etc. Yes, I will join in on a convo with those I don't know. Others do it to me, too. There's nothing wrong with it.
- Race. Just going to say that a wizards appearance doesn't necessarily reflect on who the person is. My wizards skin color doesn't match my human color, but that doesn't really matter. Looks mean nothing.
- PvP stats. I don't care what level you are. Not everyone cares about PvP like you do, so stop acting like it makes you better than others.

Maybe not really stereotypes, but still beliefs that need to stop.

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
SparkleTude on Dec 8, 2016 wrote:
I agree with so many of the things posted in this topic.

One that I like to see posted is the concept of others telling people they must play only within their school. Again it's one player forcing their idea of play onto another player. No one gives over control of their game to someone else. People sometimes need to not be so bossy ;) I know when someone feels strongly it can be hard but, each person spends their time and money and deserves to play the way they prefer.
I personally prefer to learn other spells because that way I'm not trapped if I run into an enemy from my own school. To me that makes perfect sense. I also like to have gear with spells from other schools. I do not see a conflict whatsoever. It works for me. I don't tell others how to play. I hope to experience the same respect.
I totally agree with your post. I had situations with people telling me how to fight, what gear I should use and how to arrange my deck like them. I'm like; excuse me!? Everyone has their own battle strategy. There's no right or wrong to it or have the best ideas of play.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Patrick Ravenbane on Dec 9, 2016 wrote:
I totally agree with your post. I had situations with people telling me how to fight, what gear I should use and how to arrange my deck like them. I'm like; excuse me!? Everyone has their own battle strategy. There's no right or wrong to it or have the best ideas of play.
Thank you!
Yes this really bothers me. It seems to happen to me a lot and I am not sure why. I did not express insecurity or tell anyone I'm new at the game, or otherwise flounder in front of them. I hung in there and fought, I didn't hang back or endlessly shield myself, etc. I can't figure where the criticisms are stemming from.

I've had people tell me I should use x deck, x cards, only play my own school, only have pets from my own school, have x secondary school, not have x secondary school, turn in my training points and start over with training in x secondary school, just on and on in lots of specifics and out of the blue.

I've had people insist I stop what I am doing and go with them for a "lesson" but they don't tell me it is a lesson until I get there. They tell me they want to show me something or they have a surprise. *sigh*
I've also had people quiz me on how I spend my money in here, and tell me every time I get something new "did you pay crowns for that?!" and lecture me how I should never pay crowns but only pay gold. Even though not everything is sold for both, or available at my level yet, outside the crown shop. Conversely, I've had people say to port to them and it turns out they have hauled me off to the bazaar where they tell me "buy this" and "buy that." I didn't want to buy those things. I was looking forward to getting them in a pack, or a drop. They stand there until I do as they insist.

All these things make me feel stressed. They take the joy out of whatever I was doing or had bought. I don't do ANY of these things to other people. If someone recognizes themselves in the above, I want to plead: "Please - stop being so bossy!" Thanks for listening.

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
SparkleTude on Dec 10, 2016 wrote:
Thank you!
Yes this really bothers me. It seems to happen to me a lot and I am not sure why. I did not express insecurity or tell anyone I'm new at the game, or otherwise flounder in front of them. I hung in there and fought, I didn't hang back or endlessly shield myself, etc. I can't figure where the criticisms are stemming from.

I've had people tell me I should use x deck, x cards, only play my own school, only have pets from my own school, have x secondary school, not have x secondary school, turn in my training points and start over with training in x secondary school, just on and on in lots of specifics and out of the blue.

I've had people insist I stop what I am doing and go with them for a "lesson" but they don't tell me it is a lesson until I get there. They tell me they want to show me something or they have a surprise. *sigh*
I've also had people quiz me on how I spend my money in here, and tell me every time I get something new "did you pay crowns for that?!" and lecture me how I should never pay crowns but only pay gold. Even though not everything is sold for both, or available at my level yet, outside the crown shop. Conversely, I've had people say to port to them and it turns out they have hauled me off to the bazaar where they tell me "buy this" and "buy that." I didn't want to buy those things. I was looking forward to getting them in a pack, or a drop. They stand there until I do as they insist.

All these things make me feel stressed. They take the joy out of whatever I was doing or had bought. I don't do ANY of these things to other people. If someone recognizes themselves in the above, I want to plead: "Please - stop being so bossy!" Thanks for listening.
Some people do that thinking they're helping without realizing what they're really doing and some of them are just being overbearing. I pick a perfect realm to avoid that behavior. I hope things turn out better for you

Explorer
Sep 06, 2010
giboo on Nov 30, 2016 wrote:
i absolutely HATE the life one i have 96 damage and 600 critical i am not your babysitter (what i call healing) while i don't mind doing it for close friends who know i don't like it but need it i feel used when other people ask me to. just my opinion :D

Morgan Goldstrider
i only ask life wizards if they have heal when i drop to double digit health. Is that a problem if so then i will stop doing that whenever i run into other life wizards.

Survivor
Nov 20, 2013
Just because someone is running a lower level character, it does not mean they are new, they may have 5 other characters that are much higher and actually know how to fight.

Survivor
Aug 10, 2015
I agree with the crowns thing because I constantly have people if i can gift them something cost crowns and i'm always saying no that i dont have any crowns. Like right now for instance all my wiz has in crowns is 24 and you can't get anything with 24 crowns.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Patrick Ravenbane on Dec 10, 2016 wrote:
Some people do that thinking they're helping without realizing what they're really doing and some of them are just being overbearing. I pick a perfect realm to avoid that behavior. I hope things turn out better for you
Thank you so much Patrick. I very much appreciate your kind posts and thoughtful replies!

I'm going to take some of the griping out of my last post. I was really on a rant that day. haha

I do think they mean well, which is why I don't say anything, but on the inside I feel the steam building until I'm like a cartoon with it wanting to pour out of my ears. Lol

Hard to say anything when they are trying to be nice and teach the newbie. Meanwhile I am just like "But I wanna save my gold/But I don't wanna buy that/But I don't wanna lesson right now I wanna battle!" It's a lesson in patience :)

Thanks again

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Oh - I guess I can't edit an old post. Well that's OK, I will learn not to rant as much. Lol

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
dragonhelper2000 on Dec 10, 2016 wrote:
i only ask life wizards if they have heal when i drop to double digit health. Is that a problem if so then i will stop doing that whenever i run into other life wizards.
I have a life wizard and I don't mind healing at all. I will even offer if I see someone is low in health. It seems like (for ordinary battles, not the ones where everyone is barely hanging on by their fingernails) most people say "nah I'm okay" and want me to keep hitting. But it really depends. Everyone's different. Some will ask for healing and it's fine.

I have not spent my training points yet on my Life wizard, so I don't have that many 'hits' and so I try to play to my strengths. But it's also true that sometimes we Life wiz wanna get in there and rumble :)
What I think people were talking about is when people tell them they are not allowed to do anything BUT heal, or criticize them for hitting at all, or battling at all. When people assume that life wizards should only play one way. Or insist they only play one way. It seems a lot of the disappointments in this topic stem from one player telling another player exactly how to play.

Asking for a heal - is no big deal :)

(Just my opinion)

Delver
Aug 21, 2013
SparkleTude on Dec 10, 2016 wrote:
Thank you!

I don't believe I've ever come across that problem. Here's some advice on what to do (optional, not gonna try to force you into it)..

- Pet school. Anyone who believes that you should only use a pet that matches your school doesn't really know the game that well. Some pets offer item cards that cost only 1 pip (or no pips at all) to give you a boost. If that's the card you want available, why should it matter what school the pet is? It's not like the spells are only available if you are the same school as your pet. Point that out to others that it doesn't matter.
- Deck to use. Depending on the approach, it might be in an effort to help you. But it really comes down to what the deck offers you. If what they are recommending doesn't benefit you, just tell them thanks but no thanks, you have what works for you.
- Spells to use. I'm partially guilty here but with an exception. If I'm helping someone farm Halfang, I'll tell them 7 spells to have in their deck (and no more than 7). Helps them farm faster. In that instance, though, they are expecting help/guidance. Other than wanting guidance, maybe hear any reasons for their recommendations, but don't be afraid to let them know that it's your deck, you'll fill it how you want.
- Spell schools. If wizards weren't meant to use spells from other schools, they wouldn't be able to train them. Simple as that. Dropped school mastery amulets also further encourage the idea of using spells from other schools.
- Secondary schools. Would love to come across someone telling you to use your own school spells, while also telling you which secondary school to train from. Be like, "Why train if I should only use spells from my school?"

Don't be afraid to assert yourself. If someone insists on 'training' you, tell them you know how to play. If they try to force you, just remove them as a friend. Play how you want. Real friends will respect your decisions, not act like they are superior players compared to others.

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
SparkleTude on Dec 11, 2016 wrote:
Thank you so much Patrick. I very much appreciate your kind posts and thoughtful replies!

I'm going to take some of the griping out of my last post. I was really on a rant that day. haha

I do think they mean well, which is why I don't say anything, but on the inside I feel the steam building until I'm like a cartoon with it wanting to pour out of my ears. Lol

Hard to say anything when they are trying to be nice and teach the newbie. Meanwhile I am just like "But I wanna save my gold/But I don't wanna buy that/But I don't wanna lesson right now I wanna battle!" It's a lesson in patience :)

Thanks again
You're welcome.

Defender
Dec 05, 2013
This is awesome, guys! I'm glad to see everyone's awesome response to this.
Along with the pvp thing:
Not everyone pvp's, some don't even know about it (believe it or not) and I'm personally happy not being great at it so please stop heckling me on how to be a great pvp-er.

Defender
May 02, 2015
AmberRavenSong7 on Nov 26, 2016 wrote:
The fact is.
can heal better than any other school. (mine is max)
has more base damage than any other school. (mine is max)
has more utilities than any other school. (mine is max and a 2nd age warlord)
has more base health and resist than any other school.
has more over time than any other school. (mine is max)
can destroy all defenses better than any other school. (mine is max)
has more weaknesses than any other school. (mine is max and a 2nd age warlord)

These are not stereotypes, this is how the game is designed.You can choose to play to your schools strengths, or you can try and thwart convention. Either is fine. However, if you are in a very challenging situation (such as darkmoor) with a team, it would probably serve you to play to your strength and support your team in the way your wizard is designed. I prefer efficiency in my game play, that is, to beat the boss as fast as possible and get the best drop. So, I do tend to play to the strength of whichever school I am logged on to in PVE. PVP is a different story. That is where you can go if you have something to prove.
Amber
Truth. Don't view them as stereotypes. Schools do best what the game has designed them to do best. Balance can hit in a team of 4 and Ice can be a glass cannon, but they are just not the traditional and intrinsic characteristics of the school that were designed, so they won't do as well in those roles.

To OP:

As far as hatching and getting area ports, sometimes people need help. Help them or don't it's a free country. If you don't help them, that just means they weren't meant to get the help from you. They'll get it from someone else. It's part of the game. Sometimes people need my help with a hatch or a boss fight or dungeon. Sometimes I assist, other times I don't. I think it would be more appropriate to file that grievance under "don't take it personally" than "don't stereotype me."

But yeah, crown/pack beggars/scammers are annoying. Lol.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Thank you Fangs. That is solid advice.

Survivor
Jul 08, 2011
All low levels are "noobs"

Not true at all, as I have several low levels as well a few a maxes across my different accounts

Survivor
Jun 16, 2013
"Myth wizards are weak"

I have an archmage myth and it's my second favorite school. I did a 1v1 with a fire who said myth was easy for him and when I beat him he wanted to fight again and I won again. Another time I beat someone and he said it was embarrassing being killed by a myth.

Delver
Aug 21, 2013
Dynamo87 on Dec 14, 2016 wrote:
"Myth wizards are weak"

I have an archmage myth and it's my second favorite school. I did a 1v1 with a fire who said myth was easy for him and when I beat him he wanted to fight again and I won again. Another time I beat someone and he said it was embarrassing being killed by a myth.
In my view, I think Balance is given the short end of the stick when it comes to strength. Myth, on the other hand, gets some spells to help make up for any 'weakness' it may have. Attack spells that stun and being able to shift DoT spells being a couple of them. Earthquake is a killer (figuratively), because that just puts all buffing/defense efforts to waste for the other team. So anyone who says that Myth is weak doesn't really know it too well.

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
Dynamo87 on Dec 14, 2016 wrote:
"Myth wizards are weak"

Lol,

Way to show 'em who's boss!

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
Here's another stereotype: All high level wizards are loaded with tc and/or crowns

Delver
Jul 24, 2015
Fangs McWolf on Dec 15, 2016 wrote:
In my view, I think Balance is given the short end of the stick when it comes to strength. Myth, on the other hand, gets some spells to help make up for any 'weakness' it may have. Attack spells that stun and being able to shift DoT spells being a couple of them. Earthquake is a killer (figuratively), because that just puts all buffing/defense efforts to waste for the other team. So anyone who says that Myth is weak doesn't really know it too well.
Balance is a terror in PvP.

In PvE, balance does well enough, especially with allies.

Solo is a challenge for balance due to blade options. 25% Balance Blade + 35% Sharpened Balance Blade + 30% Dragonblade adds up to around 2.2 times damage. Other schools can get up to 2.7 times damage or better with the same effort.

The way to deal with this is to instead rely on auras, enchantments, power pips, and criticals. A balance wizard who shields for a couple rounds, then auras, can start hammering with Sandstorm for around 1.3k per round. A critical doubles this. If you get a shadow pip, use Nested Fury instead (which will finish regular enemies fast).

Against bosses, stack up feints and crush them.

Delver
Aug 21, 2013
Liam Wyrmhammer on Dec 16, 2016 wrote:
Balance is a terror in PvP.

In PvE, balance does well enough, especially with allies.

Solo is a challenge for balance due to blade options. 25% Balance Blade + 35% Sharpened Balance Blade + 30% Dragonblade adds up to around 2.2 times damage. Other schools can get up to 2.7 times damage or better with the same effort.

The way to deal with this is to instead rely on auras, enchantments, power pips, and criticals. A balance wizard who shields for a couple rounds, then auras, can start hammering with Sandstorm for around 1.3k per round. A critical doubles this. If you get a shadow pip, use Nested Fury instead (which will finish regular enemies fast).

Against bosses, stack up feints and crush them.
Don't get me wrong, I love the Balance school. It's just that when it comes to attacks, it's alongside Life in that it doesn't get too many awesome spells. It's probably the hardest school to be in, but on the flip side, it means that you have to be a pretty good player to stay with it. A friend of mine has a few wizards from various schools and decided to make a balance wizard. After being in Krokotopia, he basically told me that he has a new level of respect for Balance wizards. Of all the wizards he's made, it was proving to be the most difficult to quest on. He's a rather good player too, so coming from him, it really meant something.

Still, when it comes to attacks, kind of ripped off. No DoT's nor stuns at all, and very few attacks have any bonuses to them. Other schools have attack spells that will remove wards and/or charms, or will dispel, add a trap, etc, that comes as being part of the school. Balance, there is Loremaster and Savage Paw, but have to get them as a drop or craft them. That's why I say that Balance gets the short end of the deal.

Would be nice if a new 0-pip buff spell were to be introduced, like a blade that only works for balance damage, gives a boost of 30% (that can be sharpened to 40%), and has a natural form of 'protection' with it. Not complete protection, just like 40%, so there's a chance it won't be lost due to quake, stealing, etc.

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
Katie LifeSword on Nov 15, 2016 wrote:
I disagree with you. I'm a level 87 wizard, and I have a level 110 friend who has menu chat, but has clearly good stats, and is filled with Darkmoor gear. Furthermore, I'm a menu chat person as well. You should really think before you speak, because you can hurt other people's feelings. Btw, I have a text chat account Level 13. You'd say I wouldn't know how to play the game.

~Katie Life Sword Level 87~
This example was used as a 'stereotype' which means something not necessarily true and actually showing a prejudice against that 'type' of person - the comment wasn't meant to insult menu chat players.