Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Ban Deckathalon decks from PvP or put a level requirement on them

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jul 24, 2014
Anyone who defends this nonsense in Master League (40-50) PvP is either an abuser of this overpowered, ridiculous deck or is in the process of dumping dozens of hours from their free time to gain an unfair advantage over regular deck users.

One of KI's tenets in fifth age has been to remove barriers to entry to PvP. To help achieve this vision, they lock the single most overpowered piece of content behind one of the longest grinds in the game's history.

Don't get me wrong, I support a diversity of playstyles. I like to see alI schools have their moments to shine. I am a HUGE fan of fifth age pvp so far. Iam not making this post out of jealousy (though I definitely wouldn't mind giving deck 10 a spin), but because it's glaringly obvious that this is not "just another viable playstyle/gear setup". It is the set up. If you play against a high tempo school running a deck 10 (storm, fire, even balance) and you don't have one, you get crushed. There is no counter play. This is not an exaggeration. They will start the match with 6 pips, out-damage every shield and weakness you throw up, and face tank every spell you throw at them without a care because their health pool is stupidly inflated.

Deckathlete deck abusers will quickly jump in to say that "It GiVeS Up SpElLeMeNtS aNd MaIn De-" stop talking. 500 HP, 150 flat damage reduction, triple jewel slots, an entire TWO pips at the beginning of a match, and then TEN PERCENT damage on top of all of this is ridiculous. Storm at grand with 3000 hp, 115% damage,15% pierce, and 4-6 starting pips is only beatable if you are a balance with 3900 HP with 100% damage, 10% pierce, and can sport an equal 4-6 starting pips.

I really feel bad for the people who have spent upwards of 40 hours farming these power-creeped garbage items because I refuse to believe that, for all the chest-pounding competitive integrity KI has been trying to bring into PvP, they will let these monstrosities of game balance exist. This item will be banned from PvP at some point down the line. Enough people will complain, that much I am confident of.

The question is, do you do it soon? Or do you wait 2 years for dozens more people to sink hours into the little deckathalon minigame so you can yoink the little prized gems out of their hands later on.

Survivor
Jun 20, 2009
I am in complete agreement. These decks are not in the spirit of the Master League (40-50).

Survivor
Jul 24, 2014
Update: I joined Ratbeard's twitch stream this morning and asked him for his thoughts on deckathalon decks in PvP.

He made it pretty clear he thinks they're fine and that he and his team intend on keeping these stat-check decks around. He specifically mentioned that they were made to be used in PvP. He said they may consider level capping them.

Ratbeard has previously said that he can only justify nerfing playstyles/strategies that are oppressive to the point where they don't leave room for other strategies to exist. Deckathalon decks in Master League fit this criteria perfectly considering, at the time of this writing, the top 5 players on the Master League leaderboards use deckathalon decks.

I had very high hopes for fifth age PvP but hearing this sucks. It's nothing but lame that once every couple matches I have to go against someone who just gets to have a boatload of stat advantage over me for no reason other than dedicating 30 hours of a playtime to a non-pvp activity that I find mind-numbingly boring. I suspect his intentions for keeping deckathalon are due to reasons other than pvp variety *cough* artificially boosting player participation in a game mode nobody would touch if it weren't for overpowered rewards *cough* boosting pack sales *cough*

I hope he eventually comes around. Deckathalon decks in grand pvp super lame.

Additionally, he mentioned that pierce enchants as well as mutates such as deadly minotaur were left unbanned in PvP purposely.

Delver
Jan 18, 2013
iwanttopvp on May 19, 2022 wrote:
Update: I joined Ratbeard's twitch stream this morning and asked him for his thoughts on deckathalon decks in PvP.

He made it pretty clear he thinks they're fine and that he and his team intend on keeping these stat-check decks around. He specifically mentioned that they were made to be used in PvP. He said they may consider level capping them.

Ratbeard has previously said that he can only justify nerfing playstyles/strategies that are oppressive to the point where they don't leave room for other strategies to exist. Deckathalon decks in Master League fit this criteria perfectly considering, at the time of this writing, the top 5 players on the Master League leaderboards use deckathalon decks.

I had very high hopes for fifth age PvP but hearing this sucks. It's nothing but lame that once every couple matches I have to go against someone who just gets to have a boatload of stat advantage over me for no reason other than dedicating 30 hours of a playtime to a non-pvp activity that I find mind-numbingly boring. I suspect his intentions for keeping deckathalon are due to reasons other than pvp variety *cough* artificially boosting player participation in a game mode nobody would touch if it weren't for overpowered rewards *cough* boosting pack sales *cough*

I hope he eventually comes around. Deckathalon decks in grand pvp super lame.

Additionally, he mentioned that pierce enchants as well as mutates such as deadly minotaur were left unbanned in PvP purposely.
I was actually thinking something like this. The concept of the deck I think is a good one and provides an advantage with a drawback. The problem is there is no level cap on these things. So the advantage is huge if you're lower level where everyone is using them but the advantage is not so big comparatively at max level compared to the stats you get at that level. This is why you don't see any max level wizards using them. The advantage does not outweigh the draw back. I think they should make the decks have level restrictions relative to the deck level. Like:
Deck1 any level
Deck2 level 15
Deck3 level 30
Deck4 level 45
Deck5 level 60
Deck6 level 75
Deck7 level 90
Deck8 level 105
Deck9 level 120
Deck10 level 135

This way they can still remain relevant but are somewhat controlled and balanced. It doesn't have to be those exact numbers, that's just an example.

I used to low level PvP in the previous ages and quit as soon as these decks where introduced. A 10th deck is way too powerful to be used by a level 1 wizard. It is oppressive! The regular deck strategy cannot compete. The lower level you go the more obvious it becomes. Maybe it's not as bad at level 50 and not a problem at all at max level, but if KI wants to do a novice league or other lower level league, what they currently cannot see will become clear as day.

Astrologist
Sep 19, 2013
I've said it before and I'll say it again: as long as Deckathalon decks are allowed in PvP at unreasonable levels, this shows us that lower level PvP is a bug that we're keeping around, not a feature. I don't see why they should be allowed in PvP at all, they were clearly intended for Deckathalon with some emergent gameplay as a PvE deck as well. I don't care how good they are in non-Deckathalon PvE, the monsters can't complain anyway.

Survivor
Dec 29, 2009
That is very sad to hear that there are no plans for change because it does make it so difficult to compete with them without just being completely toxic yourself and setting up an outlasting strategy against them.