Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Loremaster spellement drops,a GOOD thing

AuthorMessage
Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
So, we all know that Loremaster now drops spellements after fights, one at a time, for a random spell. Many people are upset because they are counting the number of times they'll have to farm to get a tradeable dropped spell from her. Let's do some math. If there's 30 spells she drops, and each spell takes 35 spellements to create (not upgrade), then it would take 1,050 fights minimal to get enough spellements to craft one one copy of every spell. Yes, that's a lot of fights, BUT, these spells are tradeable because you get reagents which can be bank shared! This is a GOOD thing. This is what we ASKED FOR. How many times have people fought her thousands of times to finally give up and craft it or buy it, or just give up? Would I have liked getting more spellements dropped? Sure, but compared to the length of time it takes and praying at the RNG shrine, this is better.

I started farming her again the past few days, and not spending a whole lot of time with her, I got the following spellements (ignoring reindeer knight because I dont remember how many I had before farming, and spells she didnt drop before):

3 Camp Bandit
1 Deer Knight
2 Grendels Amends
5 Hammer of Thor
1 Handsome Fomori
2 Luminous Weaver
2 Nautilus unleashed
1 Ninja Pigs
1 Ratatoskr's Spin
1 Samoorai
2 Savage Paw
1 Spiritual Tribunal

22 Total Spellements across 12 spells

So, in a few days, I have almost enough spellements to craft one spell (if they were all for the same spell). Compare that to how often TCs would drop for the recipes at first. I KNOW many TCs are available in the bazaar, but not all of them are. The best part is, my fire is doing the farming cause of his power, but how many of those spells are not fire? How many spellements can be bank shared? The only thing that would be better would be if we could deconstruct a currently learned spell into the proper amount of spellements so we could harvest those off of all of our time. I suggested it in another post, but still, it's relevant enough to mention it here. Still, this WILL be faster in the long run, to getting all the spells we want trained on the proper wizards. Spellements in this fashion are free for now, take advantage of that.

Defender
Jan 16, 2010
I agree with everything you said. I did Loremaster for the first time on my level 80-something Myth and I was pretty happy to see i got spellements from her. Not enough to unlock a spell, but I think this is a great outlet to get spellement's from. Now if I could only figure out where to get the lower level ones with my new LIfe wizard...

Delver
Mar 30, 2014
Yes it is beneficial to be able to trade the spellements. Nice for players who are new or never bothered to farm lore much.

But no, it's not a good thing for everyone. If, like many long time players, you already farmed almost all the loremaster spells, then it usually only takes a few days to get the new ones. So, having been forced once to farm nearly all the spells to get the ones I wanted, and that was an incredible grind, now the system changed, and I literally have to farm all the spells a second time to get the new one I want. Did KI consider this downside for the existing players?

Not only that, but the spell I want, ship of fools, from my own experience and also what I've heard from several other players, seems set to have a far lower drop rate than other spellements. In the old system, I probably would have already won ship of fools. In the new system, I killed loremaster over 200 times and all I have so far is one spellement. One. So it appears that farming all the spells again won't be sufficient. It's looking like I will have to farm all the spells not once but several times over in order to get the one spell I want. I should be happy about this?

And what happens if new spells are added? You want a new spell? Go farm all the spells all over again. See how popular it is when it's not just the players who already put in the work experiencing this.

Survivor
Dec 10, 2012
Nice but still not great, you need 685 spellments total to reach tier 5. And getting them from packs would be incredibly expensive. For one spell if you are lucky enough to get one spellment per pack would cost you 274,000 crowns or $342.50 per spell. Not sure what KI is thinking, but the drop rate really needs to be increased big time with more common mobs dropping them. Dungeons that require keys or high level dungeons being the only sources is a terrible idea.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
sword tree on May 4, 2022 wrote:
Yes it is beneficial to be able to trade the spellements. Nice for players who are new or never bothered to farm lore much.

But no, it's not a good thing for everyone. If, like many long time players, you already farmed almost all the loremaster spells, then it usually only takes a few days to get the new ones. So, having been forced once to farm nearly all the spells to get the ones I wanted, and that was an incredible grind, now the system changed, and I literally have to farm all the spells a second time to get the new one I want. Did KI consider this downside for the existing players?

Not only that, but the spell I want, ship of fools, from my own experience and also what I've heard from several other players, seems set to have a far lower drop rate than other spellements. In the old system, I probably would have already won ship of fools. In the new system, I killed loremaster over 200 times and all I have so far is one spellement. One. So it appears that farming all the spells again won't be sufficient. It's looking like I will have to farm all the spells not once but several times over in order to get the one spell I want. I should be happy about this?

And what happens if new spells are added? You want a new spell? Go farm all the spells all over again. See how popular it is when it's not just the players who already put in the work experiencing this.
This is why I want them to allow us to deconstruct spells we've already learned into spellements. it would make the farming faster for the wizards who want/need the spells by harvesting reagents from those who dont need them.

When you say you killed her 200 times and only have one spellement, do you mean of the specific spell you want (ship of fools)? or in general, because my experience has been much different than yours if you only got a total of 1 spellement.

I agree that switching the farming system midway sucks, but we got what we asked for, which was a way to win the spellements of the spells we want. They always fall short of our expectations, so that is no surprise. They also stated that the spellements would be dropping from other locations as well, though this will likely mean we have to pay for something to get it, if their track record proves anything.

NOTHING is a good thing, for EVERYBODY.

I've farmed her plenty in the past for X or Y spell, and this is good for me, so Im happy about it.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
Darkmage1812 on May 5, 2022 wrote:
Nice but still not great, you need 685 spellments total to reach tier 5. And getting them from packs would be incredibly expensive. For one spell if you are lucky enough to get one spellment per pack would cost you 274,000 crowns or $342.50 per spell. Not sure what KI is thinking, but the drop rate really needs to be increased big time with more common mobs dropping them. Dungeons that require keys or high level dungeons being the only sources is a terrible idea.
Yes, but previously, you could only learn the spell. Only recently have we had the option for upgrading, and it's the training of the spell Im making my comparison for. Why? Because i'd hazard a guess that most people who want the spell don't care about upgrading it; they just want the base spell. They want the 4 pip life or death spells and dont care if it's better or not. This is a guess, mind you. No accurate data can be performed on statements, but actions. I would wonder if in the future, they measured how many people had the spell and of those, how many have upgraded it. I imagine the majority would only have the base spell. If I'm wrong, then I'm wrong. I have no problem with that. I agree with you that the rates should be upped in the future, but I'll take an almost guaranteed partial spell now, over an almost guaranteed nothing previously, any day of the week. I will also agree that it surely is cost prohibitive, but you know KI, "time vs money young wizard".

It still doesnt change the fact that we got what we asked for, just not the way we hoped it would happen. We rarely get everything we ask for in a single idea.

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
Based on the very short time I had with Loremaster the other day, I'm seeing one spellement for every 2-3 fights. I got 3 over 7 fights.

Is this what everyone else is seeing for a drop rate?

If so this is slow but still a much better drop rate than farming Lormaster ALL day long hoping to get a spell that your wizard can actually use.

Now if only the lower level worlds will start giving spellements to my higher level wizards.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
Area51Alien on May 6, 2022 wrote:
Based on the very short time I had with Loremaster the other day, I'm seeing one spellement for every 2-3 fights. I got 3 over 7 fights.

Is this what everyone else is seeing for a drop rate?

If so this is slow but still a much better drop rate than farming Lormaster ALL day long hoping to get a spell that your wizard can actually use.

Now if only the lower level worlds will start giving spellements to my higher level wizards.
I'd say about 65% of the time I get one a fight. The other times i get 1 every 2 - 3 fights. When going in with 2 wizards, it averages similarly.

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
dayerider on May 6, 2022 wrote:
I'd say about 65% of the time I get one a fight. The other times i get 1 every 2 - 3 fights. When going in with 2 wizards, it averages similarly.
Ok that tracks with what I'm seeing.

Loremaster's drop rates with Spellements are MUCH better than her Spell drops AND I can share the various spellements across my classroom of wizards.

KUDOS to the Dev team.

Survivor
Mar 05, 2011
In my opinion, do it through team kiosk. I get the frustration of one per drop (which isn't always), but while farming lore through kiosk i found it to be a bit easier on the mind. You are no longer trying to get spells, but spellements. If you already had the spell before, now you're trying to upgrade it or collect the new ones, not to mention before you'd get random spells of the wrong school lol. Think about the positives. Also doing it through the team kiosk is like 2 birds 1 stone. If you aren't already champ with team helper this is honestly the most efficient way of doing that while farming for spellements in the process.

Astrologist
Dec 31, 2009
Loremaster will have 0 spellements when test goes live, so moot at this point.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
Jasmine3429 on Jul 29, 2022 wrote:
Loremaster will have 0 spellements when test goes live, so moot at this point.
where is this stated officially by KI?

Defender
Oct 16, 2014
dayerider on Aug 1, 2022 wrote:
where is this stated officially by KI?
Spring Update notes under BUG FIXES AND OTHER CHANGES

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
John Hawkstone on Aug 2, 2022 wrote:
Spring Update notes under BUG FIXES AND OTHER CHANGES
thanks for the link. I think they're gonna feel a backlash from many players who will find these new skeleton key bosses difficult. I know LM was always flawed, but I think moving them to be locked behind skeleton key bosses will have an opposite affect from what they were hoping for.

Astrologist
Feb 12, 2015
dayerider on Aug 3, 2022 wrote:
thanks for the link. I think they're gonna feel a backlash from many players who will find these new skeleton key bosses difficult. I know LM was always flawed, but I think moving them to be locked behind skeleton key bosses will have an opposite affect from what they were hoping for.
I'm feeling similarly. I never cared much for the Lore spells as a PvE player, but this is definitely a problem.

Loremaster needs to remain. This new method of distributing Lore spells, especially with the apparent ease of Guilds accessing Skeleton Key bosses, has a hint of exclusiveness that I'm strongly against.

If Loremaster dropping Spellements is a good thing, then taking those Spellements away is a bad thing. This decision makes little sense to me.

Defender
Oct 16, 2014
dayerider on Aug 3, 2022 wrote:
Maybe not considering the selected group drop amounts compared to Loremaster's full pool with 1 drop every 2 rounds or so.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
John Hawkstone on Aug 4, 2022 wrote:
Maybe not considering the selected group drop amounts compared to Loremaster's full pool with 1 drop every 2 rounds or so.
while I havent done much on the past few test realms, i would say it depends on the balance of fight to spellement drops. If they drop a decent amount, then maybe, but time will certainly tell. Also, do we know if all the current skeleton keys will be converted to the single type? So like stone and wood to gold? I dont remember seeing an answer to that question asked by another.

Defender
Oct 16, 2014
dayerider on Aug 6, 2022 wrote:
while I havent done much on the past few test realms, i would say it depends on the balance of fight to spellement drops. If they drop a decent amount, then maybe, but time will certainly tell. Also, do we know if all the current skeleton keys will be converted to the single type? So like stone and wood to gold? I dont remember seeing an answer to that question asked by another.
From what I understand, KI is trying to move into Gold Keys only and the any updated Key Bosses will be changed to gold keys, otherwise they will use whichever key they had before.

A good example to analyse the intent is King Borr. When you enter the dungeon, you can choose a Wooden, Stone, or Gold key to set the difficulty of the Boss. The intent was so that players of multiple levels can challenge the boss and farm spellements. However as KI has learned to adjust bosses based on the player's level, the previous design of "using different keys to scale difficulty" is no longer necessary, so why keep the different keys if the intended result is the same?

If I had to guess, there will be other key bosses that will be updated to drop spellements and at that time KI will change them to Gold Keys as well. For example updating a boss to drop world spellements, based on the player's level, for a single school and making it a Gold Key boss.