Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Canceled Team Ups

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Apr 15, 2020
Can you please, PLEASE do something to stop people from canceling team ups as soon as you join? It has gotten to the point that I almost never help people anymore. You join a team up at the kiosk, then as soon as you do, the person who started it cancels the team up. Or worse, they wait until you have sat there for a minute and 50 seconds to cancel it, or just turn around and leave the dungeon as soon as it starts.

Can you please make it so that people who habitually engage in that behavior are unable to use the team up function for a day or two? Or at least still give us credit for the team up? Or both?

People who do that make it harder for those that honestly need help

Defender
Oct 16, 2014
I have to disagree.

Whenever I'm questing and I don't know if I can solo a boss, I will team up then start the dungeon on my own.
  • If I'm winning and someone else is in queue, I cancel team up.
  • If I'm losing and someone else is in queue, I remain in team up.

I can see how that's annoying on the receiving side, but I don't think players should be punished for days by doing this.

Also once team up chat is added to wiz, this may occur a lot less.

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
This I believe is more an issue with the Team Up Kiosk not getting someone in to help faster. I feel like 80-90% of the Cancelled Team Ups are that people have waited so long and no one joined, so that they started the dungeon by themselves. They are now part way through the dungeon and having to start over is not something that they are looking for so they undo the Team Up.

I feel like there are a couple solutions that could be implemented.

Make it so Quests/can be linked more easily with more players. A lot of times, it's really hard to get people all on the same quest. This is a problem that I feel like plagues all MMOs. There are a number of players that would like to play together and they do for part of a day and then someone has to leave and someone else has to keep going and next thing you know, you're still in Zafaria while your friend is in Khrysalis just because you can't play catch up to different spots.

Rework the Volunteer option so that you are put into Team Up, after Team Up, after Team Up. . The last I heard about this is that Artie thinks that players that are "volunteering" want to do other activities while they wait for a team up to be available. I feel like this assumption is incorrect, or at least not as common as he thinks. More often, as appears to be in your case. If you are going to be doing "team ups" that is what you are seeking to do. You're farming for the badge or something and trying to help as many people as you can. I believe that with the Team Up Volunteer option there should be a mode to allow for this. That it puts you into another team up almost as soon as you can afterwards.

Next, there needs to be more rewards for longer dungeons. Most people that are farming for badges are looking for short easy wins to count towards their total. Moving to a credit system (and offering more rewards) would be something that would be very beneficial. It is my understanding that Dev's know how long a dungeon is supposed to take most of the time (dungeon warnings state this time). Have rewards be rewarded for the amount of time and difficulty a dungeon is supposed to take and have it scale with the Volunteer's level. For example, if you're currently in Dragonspyre, it should be astronomically more rewarding to do team ups in Dragonspyre than it is in Krokotopia. The option to do dungeons in Krokotopia should still exist, but should be far less. Same with if you're in Lemuria, you get more credits for doing longer dungeons in Lemuria than a quick speed run in Karamelle. I feel like the reward credits could also be scaled depending on the world. Because, for example, a lot of Azteca feels like a barren waste land and a lot of people won't touch it with a ten foot pole, so maybe it's rewards would increase if there are more team up requests at that time than another world. There is more demand for 'mercenary' help at that point. Points become more and more valued for equal level-players as well as it starts to become available to more and more higher leveled players.

Equalize quests or have check/points. Defeat and Collect quests are a pain and very annoying for players. Perhaps through monstrology extracts "Insta-defeat" cards or something you are guaranteed a drop of Quest items. So players could collect Monstrology and gift insta-defeat cards to other players that are slightly behind them. Or if players that are in an Adventure group, there is something that online players could do that benefits their offline friends so that they can stay on the same quest together. Another option would be is to have checkmarks enabled as an option. So that players that opt to be part of an Adventure group or something could all have the quest completed by one person up to a certain check mark. Even if someone logs out. This would have to be an option because some players don't want to miss the story etc, but something like from "dungeon to the next dungeon" (majorish one, meaning more than one fight). It completes for everyone. Basically, some sort of system so that "catching up" for one of your friends is doable, but not such a drog as having to repeat everything all over again. Verbatim.

The other thing that would be great if it was an option, would be to be able to message the people in your kiosk to tell them to NOT put the requires 4 people option. That largely should be removed from the majority of dungeons, with the possible exception of end of world content, and hard farming bosses. Players think that "oh I'll request four helpers" and that's not how it works, it actively discourages people from joining that team up.

I think that the Team Up Volunteer option is a really great addition to the game! I just wish that there were some little tweaks that would make it better for Volunteers AND people needing help.

Survivor
Jun 28, 2017
Bump for this post.

There should be some kind of downside or negative effect to doing it, like having it be block to the team up feature for a certain period of time. Similar to how mutes work when a Wizard is moderated.

The same kind of behavior like joining a wizards fight and immediately fleeing after causing another enemy to join should have the same kind of downside, piggybacking off the example above, not allowing them to join other wizards fights for a period of time.

Squire
Jul 04, 2012
TalonIrontamer on Mar 16, 2022 wrote:
Can you please, PLEASE do something to stop people from canceling team ups as soon as you join? It has gotten to the point that I almost never help people anymore. You join a team up at the kiosk, then as soon as you do, the person who started it cancels the team up. Or worse, they wait until you have sat there for a minute and 50 seconds to cancel it, or just turn around and leave the dungeon as soon as it starts.

Can you please make it so that people who habitually engage in that behavior are unable to use the team up function for a day or two? Or at least still give us credit for the team up? Or both?

People who do that make it harder for those that honestly need help
I agree that it is frustrating when people leave. However, I think punishing people for this would be unfair. I know I've joined team up before, waited, and got no help, so decided to try and solo it and was successful and simply forgot to end the team up queue. It would be unfortunate to be punished for a minor mistake! I do agree it is frustrating. But I don't think punishing would be a great idea. I mean maybe implementing a team up timer as a punishment would be okay, such as the one when you leave right after getting in the place after a team up.

Survivor
Jun 28, 2008
John Hawkstone on Mar 18, 2022 wrote:
I have to disagree.

Whenever I'm questing and I don't know if I can solo a boss, I will team up then start the dungeon on my own.
  • If I'm winning and someone else is in queue, I cancel team up.
  • If I'm losing and someone else is in queue, I remain in team up.

I can see how that's annoying on the receiving side, but I don't think players should be punished for days by doing this.

Also once team up chat is added to wiz, this may occur a lot less.
i disagree with you on this. people should be punished. if you are gonna do solo first anyway why not try to solo then team up if you see you can't solo. that is what i do. to me your way seems rude to people who try to help and get canceled. especially if it happens in the last 30 seconds before the start and even more so if the one who started the team up turns around and just goes out as soon as the dungeon starts. i've seen a lot of people do that just to troll others

Survivor
Jun 28, 2008
Angela Gem on Apr 14, 2022 wrote:
I agree that it is frustrating when people leave. However, I think punishing people for this would be unfair. I know I've joined team up before, waited, and got no help, so decided to try and solo it and was successful and simply forgot to end the team up queue. It would be unfortunate to be punished for a minor mistake! I do agree it is frustrating. But I don't think punishing would be a great idea. I mean maybe implementing a team up timer as a punishment would be okay, such as the one when you leave right after getting in the place after a team up.
i agree with you as long as the punishment is longer than just 15 minutes cause 15 minutes means nothing. especially to people who look to troll others

Defender
Oct 16, 2014
doriangrey37 on Apr 30, 2022 wrote:
i disagree with you on this. people should be punished. if you are gonna do solo first anyway why not try to solo then team up if you see you can't solo. that is what i do. to me your way seems rude to people who try to help and get canceled. especially if it happens in the last 30 seconds before the start and even more so if the one who started the team up turns around and just goes out as soon as the dungeon starts. i've seen a lot of people do that just to troll others
I see your points, but that is assuming that many are doing the dungeon. Say I am side questing, which I do not always do right away. I could be waiting for 10s, 1m, 20m, 2hrs; I would not know. It's even possible (this happened to me multiple times) that you see that you see no one doing the dungeon so solo, lost, then on your way back you see some wizards standing by the sigil but "vanish" as you approach. You try to team up but have to wait even longer, sometimes another 20+ mins.

So joining team up later is not always a good idea, thus I don't do so. As well if I find the dungeon to be difficult though I still could solo it (ex: First Story Tombs), then I would flee the battle to help the other players clear it too.

You are free to consider what I do rude, but I do team up thinking I will likely need help and am in no way doing this with negative intentions. There are others like this as well.

Say you are a storm going into Trial of the Spheres. Storm wizards have the weakest defensive stats compared to all the other school, so you may think you need help and team up. After 10 mins, there is still no one teaming up so you decided to try and solo the dungeon. You get to the final boss fight and will defeat the boss in the next 3-5 turns but someone joins team up. At this point, why would you not cancel team up?

Again, I understand everyone's complaint(s) but I am just saying that not everyone that does this have bad intentions, so a straight-up harsh punishment is very unfair. Something more along the lines of an accumulative punishment where repeated offenses increase the punishment is fair.