Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

daybreaker and nightbringer

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 18, 2008
i am having trouble understanding how to use daybreaker and nightbringer spells. could you explain a little better or have a video showing how to use them. i believe they are good spell, if we get to know how to use them correctly. thanks

Defender
Oct 16, 2014
(Based on my own testing. If anything in here is actually a bug..... whoops!)

Player Turn Sequence = StartOfTurn(interrupts) -> PlayerCastSpell(spells) -> EndOfTurn(interrupts)
- Daybreaker activates at "StartOfTurn"
- Nightbringer activates at "EndOfTurn"

General Information - Delay Cast
  • Both Daybreaker and Nightbringer (Delay Casts) are considered as Interrupt Spells, the same priority as cheats. Delay Cast spells can still trigger cheats once they are resolved.
  • As any Enchant Spell, these work for all trained spells except the Shadow Polymorphs and spells that would result in a pip cost of 15+.
  • As they change the "effect", a Delay Cast Buff is stackable ("Daybreaker version", "Nightbringer version").
  • Due to the additional pip cost, X-pip spells will have their value X-value shortened so that (a) the spell's minimum pips cost is X+[additional pip cost] and (b) the spell's maximum pip cost of X-[additional pip cost] does not surpass 14 pips. Example: Heck Hound enchanted with Daybreaker (+4) with 14 pips will use a 10-pip Heck Hound.
  • Unfortunately, delayed spells cannot Pip Conserve.

Casting The Spell
  • The "Fizzle check" and "Pip Cost" is executed when you cast the Delay Spell, which will use any hanging Accuracy de/buffs.
  • The spell is now "in queue" to interrupt.

Resolving The Spell (following turn)
  • The Delay Cast will cast this turn no matter the player's condition (ie. stunned, devoured).
  • If the spell were to fizzle during "Casting The Spell", it will fizzle now. Otherwise you will successfully cast the spell.

Daybreaker
  • The enchanted spell will cast at the start of your player's turn.
  • Any cheats triggered by a Daybreaker spell is put "in queue" to interrupt, which then executes during the same "StartOfTurn" sequence.

Nightbringer
  • The enchanted spell will cast at the end of your player's turn.
  • Any cheats triggered by a spell during "PlayerCastSpell" is put "in queue" to interrupt, which then executes at the "EndOfTurn" sequence. However, since Nightbringer was queued first, the Nightbringer spell will resolve before the cheat(s).
  • Any cheats triggered by a Nightbringer spell is put "in queue" to interrupt, which then executes during the same "EndOfTurn" sequence.

Conclusion
Daybreaker is best for PvP while Nightbringer is best for PvE, however having both can help stack damage in any situation. Not much to say about Daybreaker as it mostly is just used to cast the spell before your next round, however there are many PvE uses for Nightbringer (listed below).

Secrets & Uses (aka what I call "player cheats" & "cheat counters")
  • "AHEAD OF THE GAME." (next turn cheats) - The turn before a cheat become in/active, you can use a Delay Cast to "act the next turn" instead. Example: Sylster GlowStorm (Waterworks final boss) alternates a "No Charms" and "No Wards" global cheat; you can Delay Cast a blade the turn before the "No Charms" cheat ends.

• "YOU PLAYED YOURSELF!" (swap cheats) - Triggering a swap cheat with a buff and Nightbringer buff during the same turn will cause the same the Nightbringer buff to be swapped twice, returning it to you. The buffs to be swapped must be unprotected however. Example: Grandfather Spider (Mirage final boss) has a "Swap Feint" cheat; you can Nightbringer a Feint then cast an regular Feint to cause GS to swap the same Feint twice, leaving both 70% on him.

• "PIERCE THY SOUL." (immune mobs) - These are the only trainable (and non-retired) enchants that can enchant a Pierce Charms, allowing you to stack A LOT of pierce with the right setup to the point where you can deal damage to an immune mob (though it takes a lot of rounds to setup).

• "THE BEAT OF MY DRUM." (recasting global cheat effects) - You can Nightbringer a spell, then cast a Global spell the following turn. This will change the global to the one you cast then will activate Nightbringer before the global is replaced by the cheat. Example: Fellspawn (WC Catacombs gold key boss) has a recasting "Global Limit Damage" cheat; you can do this to bypass the damage limit and is the best way to defeat it (many do so).

• "N-OHKO!" (OHKO cheats) - You can stack Bad Jujus to potentially survive a OHKO hit. Example: Corporal Tenni'syn (Zanadu Sewers gold key boss) will use an AoE OHKO hit once he gets 7 shadow pips, dealing 100,000+ damage. Stacking just 2 Bad Juju will reduce this to about 1,000-2,000 damage.

• "FORGOT TO COUNT..." (auras & shadow polymorphs) - Delay Casts also delay the countdown for auras, including Shadow Polymorphs. This also means that by using at least one delayed "liked" spell, you can achieve 0 Backlash. When I first figured this out I was able to use Shadow Shrike for 11 rounds before the polymorph ended. Having a player support with Donate Pip would make this much easier.

Survivor
Dec 18, 2008
so, if i want to cast two four pip spells, one with nightbringer on it, i would need to have 12 pips on the turn i want to cast it? if that is the case, that makes since. thanks

Defender
Oct 16, 2014
knightshadow256 on Jan 29, 2022 wrote:
so, if i want to cast two four pip spells, one with nightbringer on it, i would need to have 12 pips on the turn i want to cast it? if that is the case, that makes since. thanks
You got it and you're welcome.

Defender
Oct 16, 2014
knightshadow256 on Jan 29, 2022 wrote:
Misread your post (oops )

No, you do not need 12 pips on the turn you cast it. 8 pips (4+4) would be used to cast the nightbringer, then on your next turn you will just need 4 pips to cast the next spell as the other 8 was already used. With 100% power pip chance, this would mean you would need 10 pips before doing the combo (10 pips -8 cost +2 gain -4 cost = 0).

So if you want to cast two four pip spells, one with nightbringer on it, you would need 8 pips the first turn and 4 pips the next turn.