Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Stun Shield and Stun's Usefulness

AuthorMessage
Defender
Mar 02, 2009
Howdy-

Stun shield. Great spell. Super useful, especially in PvP, where the timing of a stun can mean combos! But in PvE, stun shield needs work.

Stun Shield gives resistance to two stuns- but costs a turn (as instead of using a blade/trap/hit/whatever), you block two stuns. Functionally, this buys the character one turn, because the first "stun" is equivalent to the turn used/wasted to cast the stun shield.

But, when you get stunned, you automatically get a stun shield to prevent spamming- a wonderful inclusion to the game. All that Stun Block provides, in terms of usable rounds, is control over when you don't get to use a different spell. Casting Stun Block only offers an extra usable turn when it is used to block Medusa.

I think that the round after you get successfully stunned, you should not get a pip. That makes Stun Block actually provide a benefit, rather than just effectively changing up the timing of when a "Stunned" (or wasted) round occurs.

Hope this was clear; I want Stun Block to have utility in PvE rather than delaying the timing.

Survivor
Sep 25, 2021
honestly i think it looks more like pve just doesn't need them in general considering it's rare to find stunlocking, (aside from maybe sand squid)
and in a rare case you do need a way to circumvent stuns that isn't just past the shield you get for getting stunned in the first place, you can always just find a tc conviction and be essentially free from stuns (95% stun resist) for 4 turns.

Explorer
Jun 06, 2009
I think putting up stun shields is completely useless in PVE (unless you're casting it on a teammate). I keep trying to explain that to people who use them, but they just don't seem to understand that you're not actually preventing the loss of a turn by using the stun shield. It takes a round to put it up, which offsets the round you'd lose to a stun. But, to each their own I suppose.

I think that preventing pip gain while stunned is an interesting theory. However, I can't say I support it. Medusa is already annoying enough when trying to solo, and I feel like being stunned for two rounds and not being able to gain any pips during that time would just make it way too hard. It also means the stun spells would increase in value (stun and prevention of pip gain is way overpowered for the pip cost of those spells tbh), which would be unfair for schools like Life or Death that don't have any stun spells. So while I don't think the current stun/stun shield system is perfect, I do think it's good enough that attempting to alter it would probably only make it worse (*cough*crit blocks*cough*)

Defender
Oct 16, 2014
Just make Stun Block cast 3 shields instead of 2. Problem solved!

Mastermind
Mar 16, 2009
John Hawkstone on Nov 23, 2021 wrote:
Just make Stun Block cast 3 shields instead of 2. Problem solved!
*Uproarious laughter in Myth Scion.*

---------------------------------------

As for Stun Block's usage in PVE, yeah it is quite limited, though with the changes with enemy AI that are coming I'm curious if this will naturally make Stun Block a more valuable spell. Especially as a spell to cast on a teammate so that they do not lose a valuable turn. Otherwise, it does have very limited use (one of the biggest ones being in the Germ Ghost dungeon because enemies tend to stun you right before the cheat kicks in that lets them get damaged.)

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
I agree that ONE of the stun shields offsets the round you'd be stunned, but the second one doesnt. The thing is, there are some cases where stun locking can happen, though I agree that stunlock isn't nearly as big a deal as it COULD be. However, if monsters get smarter, and start stunning more often, the mechanic would need to be revamped Bosses should be the only monsters that are immune to stun. Also, you should get a stun shield for every round you are stunned. So if you get hit with Medusa, you should get 2 stun shields, not just 1. Either that or Medusa needs to stun only one round. Either fix is fine with me.

Delver
Jun 10, 2012
Defender
Oct 16, 2014
I agree the main problem is using stun block on yourself. Casting on an ally does in fact save a turn if they were to be stunned, but casting on yourself has no benefit either than not being stun at an inconvenient time (as mentioned above, like the Germ Ghost).

Also what I meant was for stun block to give 3 Stun Shields when cast on yourself, and 2 Stun Shields when cast on an ally. I realised I wasn't clear on that part.

Geographer
Nov 22, 2010
rtdv on Nov 9, 2021 wrote:
Howdy-

Stun shield. Great spell. Super useful, especially in PvP, where the timing of a stun can mean combos! But in PvE, stun shield needs work.

Stun Shield gives resistance to two stuns- but costs a turn (as instead of using a blade/trap/hit/whatever), you block two stuns. Functionally, this buys the character one turn, because the first "stun" is equivalent to the turn used/wasted to cast the stun shield.

But, when you get stunned, you automatically get a stun shield to prevent spamming- a wonderful inclusion to the game. All that Stun Block provides, in terms of usable rounds, is control over when you don't get to use a different spell. Casting Stun Block only offers an extra usable turn when it is used to block Medusa.

I think that the round after you get successfully stunned, you should not get a pip. That makes Stun Block actually provide a benefit, rather than just effectively changing up the timing of when a "Stunned" (or wasted) round occurs.

Hope this was clear; I want Stun Block to have utility in PvE rather than delaying the timing.
Stun shields were originally put into the game to keep PVPers from mass stunning every round. That's all they are for.

it's only a side effect that you can use them in PVE.

computer enemies don't assign two of their minions to do nothing but stun you evey single round.

PVPers do.

Defender
Oct 16, 2014
crystalwizard12345... on Dec 3, 2021 wrote:
Stun shields were originally put into the game to keep PVPers from mass stunning every round. That's all they are for.

it's only a side effect that you can use them in PVE.

computer enemies don't assign two of their minions to do nothing but stun you evey single round.

PVPers do.
I got stun locked for 3 turns just the other day, and luckily one of the stun shields blocked a Medusa -_-

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
John Hawkstone on Dec 7, 2021 wrote:
I got stun locked for 3 turns just the other day, and luckily one of the stun shields blocked a Medusa -_-
Medusa should give one stun block for every round you're stunned (so 2 stun blocks). It's stun ability is not balanced in this respect. Either give it 2 stun blocks, or stun for only a single round and up the damage.