Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Wizard101 Classic (Crazy idea incoming)

AuthorMessage
Astrologist
Feb 12, 2015
So this is a thought that's been on my head on and off for a while now. Wizard101 as a game is almost 13 years old at this point, and virtually everything about it is different from what it once was. Even the combat system has changed significantly. But what if people, like those that are new to the game, wanted to play it as it once was? I'm going to ignore all thoughts on how this would work and all low probabilities of this actually happening and just pitch the suggestion for a Classic Edition of Wizard101.

Basically, my thought is that this would be Wizard101 from Wizard City to Dragonspyre, just as it was back in 2009. This means all the standard text, spells, animations, sounds, and textures that were in Wizard101 back then. The only realistic differences would be the necessary patches to important bugs that would have existed. The goal would be to provide interested Wizards with a perspective of what the game looked like soon after it was first released. (And I'm sure there would be some interested Wizards. I mean, this games almost 13 years old! Most MMOs live and die in half the time Wizard101's been around.)

P.S. Again, I'm not sure how this would work in Kingsisle's favour. I just wanted to make the suggestion.

P.P.S. If the numbers are correct, this is my 1001'st post on these Message Boards, so I'd just like to say that being a part of this game has been very fun!

Explorer
Jun 06, 2009
This is actually an option throughout Wizard City already! If you go to Settings, there's an option to enable "classic mode" that will revert all the graphics back to the originals. I haven't played classic mode in a while so I don't remember if it also features the original music and spell animations, but just figured I'd share that it is an option available to you :)

Right now this does only affect Wizard City though, so I do agree it would be super cool if KI could release "classic modes" for the other first arc worlds. Since they were able to do it for Wizard City, that means it is at least possible -- I'm just not sure how much time & effort they would have to put into duplicating it for four other worlds (or five if they did Grizzleheim)...

Survivor
Aug 23, 2014

I think this would be an amazing idea. as somebody who first played this game while young way back when(old person joke) it would be so nostalgic going back to that forgotten era. pvp was pretty cool then and it would just certainly be interesting to see this happen. it's been done before with osrs, classic WoW. probably would have a unique similar vibe.

Astrologist
Feb 12, 2015
brad323232 on Aug 20, 2021 wrote:

I think this would be an amazing idea. as somebody who first played this game while young way back when(old person joke) it would be so nostalgic going back to that forgotten era. pvp was pretty cool then and it would just certainly be interesting to see this happen. it's been done before with osrs, classic WoW. probably would have a unique similar vibe.
That was actually part of my thoughts when this idea came to me. I too played when I was young, but I was too young to remember what in the Spiral the experience was like. And the PvP! Imaging playing that without all the crazy Astral and Shadow and Lore spell stuff that we have now. I think it would actually, in some ways, be even better then modern PvP, because it encourages strategy without being too complex. I would certainly play it for the surreal memories it would bring to me.