Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Chat Log Improvements

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 14, 2009
Hi all,

This has been bugging me for a long time, and the past couple of updates have only worsened the problem.

The chat box, which contains a log of chats, drops, and other statuses is really messy. Let me describe some of the issues:
  • Inconsistency between drop text - "You received: " vs just " <item>" (e.g. "You received: Fire Elf" vs "Fire Elf" - the first one is a treasure card, the second is a spellement. This is worsened by spellement recipe drops like Stormwing.
  • No scroll bar, just scroll arrows
  • Clicking on the chat window can unselect the currently selected spell
  • No way to distinguish item types - wands, tcs, reagents, etc are all written the same way
  • As drops get larger (especially in final battles, moreso ones with cutscenes), you have to manually scroll through to see what you got
  • Proof of battle is nonexistent. It's hard to figure out the source of the loot. Something like "You defeated <enemies>" or "Quest Completed: <quest name>" goes a long way and can help the community tremendously

Solutions:
  • Small UI changes to accompany the type. TC icon for treasure cards, reagent icon for spellements/reagents, pets, items, housing, etc. It may be simpler to just say the type like "Fire Elf TC" or "Fire Elf Reagent/Spellement".
  • Scroll bar or skip bar that can 'jump' to a previous section
  • More colors or more information provided in the log for clarity and figuring out which battle/interact/quest yielded what loot
  • A 'recent chat' mode. When collapsed, the chat window displays the latest chats/status for say 10-15 seconds or less than 5-10 lines, whichever comes first. This would help tremendously for areas with lots of chatting or briefly missing a chat to better follow conversations or view whether the time clam was recently found while selecting spells.

Let me know of your thoughts on this idea! I think this would be a big quality of life change and help the community immensely.

I imagine some of these ideas would be fairly trivial to implement and would be a massive quality of life improvement for Wizards

Survivor
Jul 21, 2011
There should just be a second chat menu area you can switch to that only displays everything you've just said. That way actual chat doesn't make things worse and the items you receive don't spam the chat itself incase you missed something someone said and you have to scroll back up to see it.