Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Ice is absolutely broken.

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jan 10, 2009
Just want to bring more attention to this issue. Ice is still horrendously broken in PvP. Abomb does more damage with no buffs against me than a double buffed smore machine does against them. Take 76 resist combined with 10.5k HP and over 100 damage and you've created a monster. Give them a spell that does 3k damage while also giving a tower shield and you've broken the game. That's what is happening right now. Blade stacks into frostbites into abombs for more shields and constant pressure.... it's just insane.

This needs to be fixed by one of a few ways. I know ice has school identity of high HP and survivability, but it should take more than just constant abombs (even through shields) to defeat someone.

1. Take away the shield from abomb.
2. Take away at least half of the damage from abomb.
3. Make a resist cap in PvP- this solves MANY issues with jading and immune setting
4. Lower the shadow pip rate for ice, since they're not supposed to be an "aggressive" school, why do they need so much shad rating?
5. Make abomb cost 2 shadow pips instead of 1.

These are just suggestions, and yes they are reflective of just how broken I believe abomb and ice are in the current PvP meta. It's seemingly impossible to defeat when you can't shield because of frostbite and you can't keep up with the pressure caused by abominable damage and shields.

Please fix this.

Survivor
Aug 17, 2014
This is a near identical post to something I saw last week, so I wanted to make the same differentiation statement: KI really should focus on differentiating mechanics & spells between PvP and PvE.

I don't PvP, so I'll defer to OP's judgement in that regard, but in PvE, I feel like Ice is niche and quite the opposite of its PvP reputation.

For example, when you are doing an uber-difficult dungeon, it's the school that is just ... there. You'd rather see any other school to assist in tough battles. Cause, c'mon, I mean:
  • Death and Myth have great team utility
  • Life is the cleric
  • Balance buffs like no other
  • Storm and Fire are the (obv) best hitters

And Ice? Ice has taunts, which are made useless by most spells being AoE. Ice has stuns, which are made useless by everything being stun immune. Ice had low damage, which makes them the worst hitters. As a result, it's the school that just sits there unkillable, while providing reaching utility through TCs.

Sure, it has its very small niche (say in the very few dungeons where the bosses hit so hard you need a legion shield spammer), but Ice in PvE is a laughing stock compared to it's PvP counterpart.

Kinda funny it's so polar - ized between t he two formats (pun intended )

Delver
Sep 13, 2016
No, just because one spell is OP does not mean now the whole school has to nerfed, no Ice wizard would want this because ice does like 1 damage and that should not happen, this not life we are talking about, it should do 600ish for colossus 500ish for Frost Giant and etc or buff the accuracy to 85, but even with that the damage has to be buffed. Abomb does not do 3k, and Helaphant with fireblade, elemental blade, and trap and hex also does 3k, i think. In every game I am always the person with that one superpower or ability or weapon or school where everyone is saying "this is too OP" "need nerf" "tHis iS To OP", and then when they nerf it becomes the most trash thing in the game and the people still want a nerf. This is not and issue. Honestly abomb is pretty balanced with glowbug squall, but I a kind of thinking that an AoE is better than one tower shield.

Survivor
Jan 10, 2009
Coyle IceBalanceSt... on Feb 9, 2021 wrote:
No, just because one spell is OP does not mean now the whole school has to nerfed, no Ice wizard would want this because ice does like 1 damage and that should not happen, this not life we are talking about, it should do 600ish for colossus 500ish for Frost Giant and etc or buff the accuracy to 85, but even with that the damage has to be buffed. Abomb does not do 3k, and Helaphant with fireblade, elemental blade, and trap and hex also does 3k, i think. In every game I am always the person with that one superpower or ability or weapon or school where everyone is saying "this is too OP" "need nerf" "tHis iS To OP", and then when they nerf it becomes the most trash thing in the game and the people still want a nerf. This is not and issue. Honestly abomb is pretty balanced with glowbug squall, but I a kind of thinking that an AoE is better than one tower shield.
I hope you realize I’m talking about max level PvP. KI has shown that they can make improvements and changes to PvP without affecting PvE. Abomb needs to be nerfed- and yes it will do 3k because ice still has over 100 damage with 76 resist and nearly 11k HP. It’s ridiculous to have a spell do that much damage while also giving a shield. It’s too much pressure.

Survivor
Jan 10, 2009
tclark1005 on Feb 8, 2021 wrote:
This is a near identical post to something I saw last week, so I wanted to make the same differentiation statement: KI really should focus on differentiating mechanics & spells between PvP and PvE.

I don't PvP, so I'll defer to OP's judgement in that regard, but in PvE, I feel like Ice is niche and quite the opposite of its PvP reputation.

For example, when you are doing an uber-difficult dungeon, it's the school that is just ... there. You'd rather see any other school to assist in tough battles. Cause, c'mon, I mean:
  • Death and Myth have great team utility
  • Life is the cleric
  • Balance buffs like no other
  • Storm and Fire are the (obv) best hitters

And Ice? Ice has taunts, which are made useless by most spells being AoE. Ice has stuns, which are made useless by everything being stun immune. Ice had low damage, which makes them the worst hitters. As a result, it's the school that just sits there unkillable, while providing reaching utility through TCs.

Sure, it has its very small niche (say in the very few dungeons where the bosses hit so hard you need a legion shield spammer), but Ice in PvE is a laughing stock compared to it's PvP counterpart.

Kinda funny it's so polar - ized between t he two formats (pun intended )
Yeah in PvE it’s totally different, but that’s not what we’re talking about. I’m talking specifically about max level PvP where ice has 76 resist, over 100 damage and nearly 11k HP while being able to constantly frostbite and abomb for pressure and defense all rolled into one.

The developers have shown they can make changes to PvP without affecting PvE. And with the buffs that ice gets there’s no reason that ice should ever struggle. Sure they do less damage than storm and fire, but they can still do massive amounts of damage- way more than enough combined with blades and feints to kill any boss in the game.

Ice in PvP desperately needs an adjustment.

Astrologist
Sep 19, 2013
Coyle IceBalanceSt... on Feb 9, 2021 wrote:
Abominable weaver's tower shield is MUCH more relevant in PvP than Glowbug's AOE. I've also watched videos where abominable hits for 3k. Like if you're hitting into a shield it's not gonna do 3k but it's perfectly capable of doing that much damage.

Delver
Sep 13, 2016
Robobot1747 on Feb 10, 2021 wrote:
Abominable weaver's tower shield is MUCH more relevant in PvP than Glowbug's AOE. I've also watched videos where abominable hits for 3k. Like if you're hitting into a shield it's not gonna do 3k but it's perfectly capable of doing that much damage.
Thats the whole point I dont do PVP and i want abomb only to be nerfed for PvP not PvE and also I am level 50 not 140

Mastermind
Mar 19, 2011
I only do PvP as a max level Balance.

I like it when particular schools are hard to defeat and I have to think hard on a strategy against them. That's part of the fun.

Back in the day, people were complaining about Balance.

Astrologist
Sep 19, 2013
Coyle IceBalanceSt... on Feb 10, 2021 wrote:
Thats the whole point I dont do PVP and i want abomb only to be nerfed for PvP not PvE and also I am level 50 not 140
You're posting in the PvP section. And why do you care if you're only level 50 anyway?

Survivor
Jan 10, 2009
Coyle IceBalanceSt... on Feb 10, 2021 wrote:
Then you have no quarrel in this thread. There is no need to defend something so broken when you’re not even experiencing it yourself.

Survivor
Jan 10, 2009
Liam Swiftwalker on Feb 13, 2021 wrote:
I only do PvP as a max level Balance.

I like it when particular schools are hard to defeat and I have to think hard on a strategy against them. That's part of the fun.

Back in the day, people were complaining about Balance.
Balance is a different breed, but you surely see how broken ice is at the moment. With polar swarm, frostbite, abomb, and not to mention steal charms vs. balance- what are you gonna do? Repeatedly mana burn for 700 damage? Nope. Lose. Ice is unbeatable when all you do is blade, polar swarm, blade, abomb. That’s all you have to do to win.

Mastermind
Mar 19, 2011
vuntan on Feb 15, 2021 wrote:
Balance is a different breed, but you surely see how broken ice is at the moment. With polar swarm, frostbite, abomb, and not to mention steal charms vs. balance- what are you gonna do? Repeatedly mana burn for 700 damage? Nope. Lose. Ice is unbeatable when all you do is blade, polar swarm, blade, abomb. That’s all you have to do to win.
I have lost 2 out of 3 of my last matches against max level. Yep, Ice sure is hard to defeat. Somebody has to be the school to beat though.

Survivor
Jan 10, 2009
Liam Swiftwalker on Feb 17, 2021 wrote:
I have lost 2 out of 3 of my last matches against max level. Yep, Ice sure is hard to defeat. Somebody has to be the school to beat though.
Yeah man it's tough. I agree somebody has to be the school to beat- but I miss the days of primary skill over stat advantages and RNG.