Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

What second school should I invest in?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Nov 30, 2020
Hello! I am a completely solo player, and therefor I have chosen the death school. I was wondering what other school I should invest all my training points into? I'm open to any suggestions, besides Myth and Storm. Myth seems to be really useless unless it's your primary school, and the low accuracy rate of Storm is something I cannot handle. Any suggestions? Also, please explain why if you would be so kind. :)

Administrator
toastykiyo on Dec 9, 2020 wrote:
Hello! I am a completely solo player, and therefor I have chosen the death school. I was wondering what other school I should invest all my training points into? I'm open to any suggestions, besides Myth and Storm. Myth seems to be really useless unless it's your primary school, and the low accuracy rate of Storm is something I cannot handle. Any suggestions? Also, please explain why if you would be so kind. :)
Hi toastykiyo! I moved your post to Ravenwood Commons, it should get a little more attention here ;).

Survivor
Nov 18, 2016
Here's some good tips to help you out:

1. Get Tower Shield. It only costs 5 training points and only requires you be Level 16, and the extra +50% defense can save your life ( or someone elses ) in a pinch.
  2. Get Reshuffle. It's on Colossus Boulevard, and is CRITICAL if you don't want to be struggling with running out of cards at all. It doesn't matter your level or stats, if you run out of cards, it's Game Over, so do NOT pass up Reshuffle when you hit Level 20.
  3. Do all the Zeke quests, including the optional worlds. Those training points add up fast. By the time one of my friends was in Polaris as a Level 104 Life, she had Feint, Tower Shield, Stun Block, Reshuffle, all the Life-school specific auras, all the damage enchants ( up to the +275 enchantment ), AND multiple Shadow Magic spells for both her healing and damage gear sets, and she still had 13 points to burn! Those training points will let you play around with various builds and setups later in the game as you see fit, without having to buy them back later.
These days, lots of players don't bother with a secondary school. Especially when playing as a Death, which has the easiest time with soloing. They just get the spells I mentioned above and run with them.

Geographer
Sep 07, 2011
Training points are usually best spent for utility spells that complement your main school, not as a "second school". As you level and gear improve, it's hard to beat the damage of your native attacks. But buffs, shields, heals, dispels, weakness, etc can be very effective.

Death is a great solo school. It has universal buffs, debuffs, and a heal, plus drains to keep your health up. If you are going to PvP, you'll want to train Ice up to Tower shield, and Reshuffle and Weakness from Balance. Shields are rarely needed in PvE, so you can probably skip Ice if you are only questing, but might want Spirit Blade at least (from Niles, the Balance Tree) for an extra buff.

If you are often teaming with another player, you might want a spell that helps them.

Don't be in a rush to spend points. If you are doing okay with the tools you have, save them for when you really need something. You will FOR SURE want to train some astral spells beginning when you reach level 50, so keep a few open. The Sun damage enchantments are must-have. Some of the Star aurae are handy too, especially Infallible.

Last, keep in mind that Treasure cards exist for many common spells (and some unique ones). If you aren't sure what a spell does, or how well it will work for your play style, consider picking up some TC and testing. You may also find an occasional TC is sufficient, and may not need to train the spell at all. For example my non-PvP wizards don't bother training Reshuffle. I just keep a TC in my deck for emergencies.

Defender
Jan 16, 2010
I'm also a solo Death school person. My death just got to Zafaria last night (at level 68). One thing I would recommend doing is always do all of your side quests, even the side worlds like Wysteria, Crab Alley, and Grizzleheim. The reason for this is it advances your level beyond what you normally should be (I should have been in Zafaria a long time ago.. lol); that extra experience will make some worlds (like Celestia) easier for you. Grizzleheim, in fact, is required for higher level advancement (there are spells and pets you get as a Death school member that you need to have Sundriland in Wintertusk access, and you only get access to Wintertusk after you finish Ravenscar in Grizzleheim). So that's my first bit of advice.

Second, in regards to spells, you already have one of the best spells in the game for free, which is Feint. So the good news is you don't have to spend extra points to get this spell the way other schools do. I would recommend getting Tower Shield first. The reason being is the spell you get, Sacrifice, which does 300 damage to yourself in order to heal you for 700. If you put up a Death Shield and a Tower Shield, this damage is negated. Even at level 68, I'm still using Tower Shield. It's a great shield to use against star/sun/moon opponents at higher levels (and the only defense you have against Balance school spells), especially in places like Celestia when you don't know what defenses they have the first time you go against them. It's also a saving grace to have this before you get Scarecrow at level 48. Once you do have Scarecrow, you're golden. You'll be able to heal yourself, and when you can crit after level 50, you'll be able to heal yourself completely during fights just by taking out the boss' minion, for example, allowing you to concentrate on the boss.

I would not recommend going up the Life school. You don't need the spells. It's actually better to get Sprite treasure cards or even Life healing treasure cards, because they actually heal you for more than the spells you can learn in the game. (Sprite TC and Sprite gems when you can get them, are awesome).

You also will need to train Spirit Blades and Spirit Traps, Stun Block (eventually, but probably not until level 50), and Reshuffle (probably not until level 50). Sun damage spells when you can get them, and through the star school, Fortify, Amplify, and especially Vengeance.

I've soloed everything except a few instances when someone happened to join me in Ravenscar on my Death, and I soloed my Life through Celestia as well. My Life's not done with Celestia, and after my experience last night with Celestia's Trial of the Spheres on my Death (which, please take my advice, you should not solo - I did solo it last night, but I had to use 4 crowns minions to help me - it would go much easier with a group of people as the bosses all cheat) - I would definitely recommend some battles you should probably consider teaming up with others or using crowns minions if you're really set on soloing everything. Trial of the Spheres, as well as the last dungeon in Wintertusk - I did both of these dungeons yesterday with crowns minions, but I could have teamed up (and I probably should have), but that's just my two cents.

That being said, soloing is possible. It just takes tenacity. And once you get Scarecrow (or if you are able to get Deer Knight at a lower level), you're going to do okay, and will sail through the worlds. I found myself going much faster on my Death than my Life. Probably because there are a lot of Life opponents in Celestia and Wintertusk, but that's another topic entirely, I think. Hehe.

As for life Zafaria and beyond, someone else of a higher level is going to have to chime in on that. But I can at least give you this advice.

I hope some of this helped!

See you in the spiral!

Survivor
Nov 30, 2020
Princess Soulhunte... on Dec 11, 2020 wrote:
Here's some good tips to help you out:

1. Get Tower Shield. It only costs 5 training points and only requires you be Level 16, and the extra +50% defense can save your life ( or someone elses ) in a pinch.
  2. Get Reshuffle. It's on Colossus Boulevard, and is CRITICAL if you don't want to be struggling with running out of cards at all. It doesn't matter your level or stats, if you run out of cards, it's Game Over, so do NOT pass up Reshuffle when you hit Level 20.
  3. Do all the Zeke quests, including the optional worlds. Those training points add up fast. By the time one of my friends was in Polaris as a Level 104 Life, she had Feint, Tower Shield, Stun Block, Reshuffle, all the Life-school specific auras, all the damage enchants ( up to the +275 enchantment ), AND multiple Shadow Magic spells for both her healing and damage gear sets, and she still had 13 points to burn! Those training points will let you play around with various builds and setups later in the game as you see fit, without having to buy them back later.
These days, lots of players don't bother with a secondary school. Especially when playing as a Death, which has the easiest time with soloing. They just get the spells I mentioned above and run with them.
Thanks a lot! Glad I saved my points, I'll be able to get tower shield pretty soon.

Survivor
Nov 30, 2020
Gemma Luna on Dec 11, 2020 wrote:
Training points are usually best spent for utility spells that complement your main school, not as a "second school". As you level and gear improve, it's hard to beat the damage of your native attacks. But buffs, shields, heals, dispels, weakness, etc can be very effective.

Death is a great solo school. It has universal buffs, debuffs, and a heal, plus drains to keep your health up. If you are going to PvP, you'll want to train Ice up to Tower shield, and Reshuffle and Weakness from Balance. Shields are rarely needed in PvE, so you can probably skip Ice if you are only questing, but might want Spirit Blade at least (from Niles, the Balance Tree) for an extra buff.

If you are often teaming with another player, you might want a spell that helps them.

Don't be in a rush to spend points. If you are doing okay with the tools you have, save them for when you really need something. You will FOR SURE want to train some astral spells beginning when you reach level 50, so keep a few open. The Sun damage enchantments are must-have. Some of the Star aurae are handy too, especially Infallible.

Last, keep in mind that Treasure cards exist for many common spells (and some unique ones). If you aren't sure what a spell does, or how well it will work for your play style, consider picking up some TC and testing. You may also find an occasional TC is sufficient, and may not need to train the spell at all. For example my non-PvP wizards don't bother training Reshuffle. I just keep a TC in my deck for emergencies.
Ah, that makes sense. The game tells you in the beginning to start "investing your points into a secondary school", but honestly, I beat the entire Wizard City main questline using only death spells. I'll make sure to keep the treasure card tactic t in mind, thanks a lot!

Survivor
Nov 30, 2020
Halimeda on Dec 11, 2020 wrote:
I'm also a solo Death school person. My death just got to Zafaria last night (at level 68). One thing I would recommend doing is always do all of your side quests, even the side worlds like Wysteria, Crab Alley, and Grizzleheim. The reason for this is it advances your level beyond what you normally should be (I should have been in Zafaria a long time ago.. lol); that extra experience will make some worlds (like Celestia) easier for you. Grizzleheim, in fact, is required for higher level advancement (there are spells and pets you get as a Death school member that you need to have Sundriland in Wintertusk access, and you only get access to Wintertusk after you finish Ravenscar in Grizzleheim). So that's my first bit of advice.

Second, in regards to spells, you already have one of the best spells in the game for free, which is Feint. So the good news is you don't have to spend extra points to get this spell the way other schools do. I would recommend getting Tower Shield first. The reason being is the spell you get, Sacrifice, which does 300 damage to yourself in order to heal you for 700. If you put up a Death Shield and a Tower Shield, this damage is negated. Even at level 68, I'm still using Tower Shield. It's a great shield to use against star/sun/moon opponents at higher levels (and the only defense you have against Balance school spells), especially in places like Celestia when you don't know what defenses they have the first time you go against them. It's also a saving grace to have this before you get Scarecrow at level 48. Once you do have Scarecrow, you're golden. You'll be able to heal yourself, and when you can crit after level 50, you'll be able to heal yourself completely during fights just by taking out the boss' minion, for example, allowing you to concentrate on the boss.

I would not recommend going up the Life school. You don't need the spells. It's actually better to get Sprite treasure cards or even Life healing treasure cards, because they actually heal you for more than the spells you can learn in the game. (Sprite TC and Sprite gems when you can get them, are awesome).

You also will need to train Spirit Blades and Spirit Traps, Stun Block (eventually, but probably not until level 50), and Reshuffle (probably not until level 50). Sun damage spells when you can get them, and through the star school, Fortify, Amplify, and especially Vengeance.

I've soloed everything except a few instances when someone happened to join me in Ravenscar on my Death, and I soloed my Life through Celestia as well. My Life's not done with Celestia, and after my experience last night with Celestia's Trial of the Spheres on my Death (which, please take my advice, you should not solo - I did solo it last night, but I had to use 4 crowns minions to help me - it would go much easier with a group of people as the bosses all cheat) - I would definitely recommend some battles you should probably consider teaming up with others or using crowns minions if you're really set on soloing everything. Trial of the Spheres, as well as the last dungeon in Wintertusk - I did both of these dungeons yesterday with crowns minions, but I could have teamed up (and I probably should have), but that's just my two cents.

That being said, soloing is possible. It just takes tenacity. And once you get Scarecrow (or if you are able to get Deer Knight at a lower level), you're going to do okay, and will sail through the worlds. I found myself going much faster on my Death than my Life. Probably because there are a lot of Life opponents in Celestia and Wintertusk, but that's another topic entirely, I think. Hehe.

As for life Zafaria and beyond, someone else of a higher level is going to have to chime in on that. But I can at least give you this advice.

I hope some of this helped!

See you in the spiral!
That's a lot to take in, I just got to Krokotopia! This is my first account (well, besides the accounts I made as an 8 year old playing completely free), so I have no idea what Celestia or Wintertusk is, but I'll definitely come back to this post as reference. Thanks for taking the time to write it all out! :)

Explorer
Sep 26, 2012
playing death, i have found that myth is actually a really great secondary school. death gets an AOE late so getting frog from myth is very helpful. and your spirit blade will help with that as well as tc myth blades.