Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Moon & Monstrology (A Moon Relevancy Rework!)

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 12, 2009
Moon is in a really.. weird spot, level wise. You get Sun spells, you use them for the whole game, as they're eternally useful. Star spells? Same thing, they're eternally useful. Moon spells, however.. Polymorph spells appear at level 50, go up to level 88 then just stop. Moon suddenly gets new spells at level 98 with Shift attacks, and then... that's it for Moon.

So, here's what I've got in mind to make Moon more relevant like the other astral schools, and more fun.

Integrate it with Monstrology.

Say when you unlock Monstrology, you also get access to Moon. I'm not sure how this could be handwaved considering plot relevance, though Balance is handwaved through Arthur despite being discovered story wise later.

How would this work? Simple, you have your options in Monstrology currently for creating a Summon treasure card, being able to make them a House Guest, and creating one shot silver bullet cards. Now, include a new option. "Learn Polymorph". This would be one of the more expensive options, but once the animus required is reached, you'd be able to create a polymorph spell to become that very creature.

Bosses for the most part would not have a Polymorph spell to learn, as giving players their kind of health bars would be ridiculous, them as minions is fine enough since they're artificially picking cards that we can't command.

Bosses, however, would get something else. Moon gives a interesting idea in it's level 98 Shift spells, and I think having to learn Shift spells through Monstrology study would be a fun addition to the game. Most of the time learning their natural attacks with some kind of utility function, all Moon School, typically 3 pips. You would learn this the same way, generating a lot of Animus to learn said spell.

Both Polymorphing and Shift spells learned through Monstrology would not need training points, as you've taken personal time to learn them instead of just visiting someone to learn in a instant.

This would give Moon use no matter what level, allow people to focus on Moon specialty for challenge or for fun, and give us a plethora of attacks to play with without having to create them specifically for this.

Astrologist
Sep 19, 2013
I think the Shift spells are fine, just more PvP focused.
Honestly polymorphs need to be completely reworked. I think they should add onto your wizard's stats similar to shadowforms like Shrike, only with less pronounced stats, no backlash, and a new deck. They should also convert your school damage/critical into the polymorph's school.

i.e. Polymorph Ptera would turn a death wizard with 80 death damage and 40 resist into a ptera with 90 storm damage and 25 resist and a new deck of storm spells. Those spells should have better damage/healing per pip since you won't be able to use sun enchants in polymorphed form.

Defender
Jul 21, 2017
supersonicff on Oct 30, 2020 wrote:
Moon is in a really.. weird spot, level wise. You get Sun spells, you use them for the whole game, as they're eternally useful. Star spells? Same thing, they're eternally useful. Moon spells, however.. Polymorph spells appear at level 50, go up to level 88 then just stop. Moon suddenly gets new spells at level 98 with Shift attacks, and then... that's it for Moon.

So, here's what I've got in mind to make Moon more relevant like the other astral schools, and more fun.

Integrate it with Monstrology.

Say when you unlock Monstrology, you also get access to Moon. I'm not sure how this could be handwaved considering plot relevance, though Balance is handwaved through Arthur despite being discovered story wise later.

How would this work? Simple, you have your options in Monstrology currently for creating a Summon treasure card, being able to make them a House Guest, and creating one shot silver bullet cards. Now, include a new option. "Learn Polymorph". This would be one of the more expensive options, but once the animus required is reached, you'd be able to create a polymorph spell to become that very creature.

Bosses for the most part would not have a Polymorph spell to learn, as giving players their kind of health bars would be ridiculous, them as minions is fine enough since they're artificially picking cards that we can't command.

Bosses, however, would get something else. Moon gives a interesting idea in it's level 98 Shift spells, and I think having to learn Shift spells through Monstrology study would be a fun addition to the game. Most of the time learning their natural attacks with some kind of utility function, all Moon School, typically 3 pips. You would learn this the same way, generating a lot of Animus to learn said spell.

Both Polymorphing and Shift spells learned through Monstrology would not need training points, as you've taken personal time to learn them instead of just visiting someone to learn in a instant.

This would give Moon use no matter what level, allow people to focus on Moon specialty for challenge or for fun, and give us a plethora of attacks to play with without having to create them specifically for this.
I like this. Moon School really was visibly abandoned and monsterology feels underused despite it's potential.

Shift Spells should have schools other than Moon though. Sugar Glider should be a Death school spell, for example. So rather than being Moon Spells, they can be Moon Enhanced Spells, like how we have Shadow Enhanced Spells.

That way Mastery can be taken into consideration.

Defender
Dec 20, 2008
I love the idea. I've always wished Moon would get a bit more of a spotlight on it but I was never sure how. With this idea, I think it will definitely make Moon a little bit more relevant.

Survivor
Jun 12, 2009
Necromancer Chris on Nov 3, 2020 wrote:
I like this. Moon School really was visibly abandoned and monsterology feels underused despite it's potential.

Shift Spells should have schools other than Moon though. Sugar Glider should be a Death school spell, for example. So rather than being Moon Spells, they can be Moon Enhanced Spells, like how we have Shadow Enhanced Spells.

That way Mastery can be taken into consideration.
Ooh, good idea. How exactly would the Moon Enhance would look on the card, or would it have any specific function? Would it be just cosmetic, like foil, to show the card was earned through Moonstrology?

Defender
Jul 21, 2017
supersonicff on Nov 6, 2020 wrote:
Ooh, good idea. How exactly would the Moon Enhance would look on the card, or would it have any specific function? Would it be just cosmetic, like foil, to show the card was earned through Moonstrology?
No clue.

I was talking about Shift Spells in general changing from Moon to their respective classes.

So Sugar Glider would just be a Death School spell that can be used with Death School mastery.

I think Monstrology Boss Monster Shift Spells as you described should still be TCs, like the summons.