Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Recent community interactions

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Feb 24, 2015
I have just recently returned to playing Wizard after a break of a few years. When I last played people were friendly, helpful and willing to answer questions or reveal the boss's cheat if you were new to a fight. In the past month I have been trying to work my way through the final world teaming up for the boss fights I can't solo. Almost universally, when I join a team and the fight starts I would ask what the cheats are only to be ignored or told nothing major. Since I didn't know what I could or could not do I would just play normally. But literally 100% of the time when I have triggered a cheat I did not know about I had one of the following happen:

1. Players call me dumb and flee leaving me on my own
2. Player continuously berating me for setting off said cheat.

It has gotten to the point that I have cancelled my membership and just putter around doing non important things while waiting for the membership to end.

It's a shame the community changed so much.

Delver
Apr 16, 2014
IKR --- What a shame. I have played a long time and I have noticed that very same thing. Once in a while you will find a nice person willing to help out with boss fights.
Grrrrrrrr.
I am very nice and helpful to everyone I meet. If they have a question I do not know the answer to, I will happily look up the answer to the best of my ability's. I do remember what it was like to be new and I was lucky to meet people willing to help me learn.

Sorry this is happening to you.

Scarlet ShadowStone

Champion
Sep 01, 2009
Eliais on Sep 22, 2020 wrote:
I have just recently returned to playing Wizard after a break of a few years. When I last played people were friendly, helpful and willing to answer questions or reveal the boss's cheat if you were new to a fight. In the past month I have been trying to work my way through the final world teaming up for the boss fights I can't solo. Almost universally, when I join a team and the fight starts I would ask what the cheats are only to be ignored or told nothing major. Since I didn't know what I could or could not do I would just play normally. But literally 100% of the time when I have triggered a cheat I did not know about I had one of the following happen:

It has gotten to the point that I have cancelled my membership and just putter around doing non important things while waiting for the membership to end.

Sadly, that rudeness and bullying is everywhere in Wiz, including this forum. I refuse to even try to finish Darkmoor on my life because the few times I've tried, I have been called names, had my gear and pet insulted, and just been so verbally abused, I can't bring myself to try again. And I recently posted something on the forum, and was called lazy. The toxicity is running rampant, and KI either can't or won't do anything to try and curb it.

My membership ends in July, and I'm doing the same thing as you-just puttering around, gardening, getting badges, fishing, etc. My max ice is ready for Karamelle, but I have a feeling the insults, meanness, and bullying, will be the same there, too.

Explorer
Nov 16, 2016
You can look up a boss' cheats on wizard101central.com. The quickest way to find it is just to Google "wizard101 boss name" and then click on the creature link that comes up. That way, you can prep before a teamup to learn the cheats and avoid triggering them.

Community Leader
I am so sorry to hear that you have had that experience! I am here to assure you that what you experienced is not representative of the community as a whole. Ravenwood Academy has a community of over 23,000 Wizards. Kindness, friendship, and helping each other out is what we are all about. Head over to our Official Fansite then click on the community tab to see it for yourself first hand.

I hope to see you there!

Amber

Administrator
I'm very disheartened to hear there is this going on in our community :(. We have rules, guidelines, and best practices we try to share with the community to discourage this behavior.

We also have our community and support teams that receive your reports to review them carefully and then implement moderation practices when necessary.

If you have specific in-game instances that you would like to report, please contact our support team:

https://www.wizard101.com/CustomerSupport/game

Anywhere else that something may be occurring, especially in these forums (we moderate these anyway, so this shouldn't be a big problem), please let me know directly.

Thank you for pointing out these concerns so we can improve our responses!

Champion
Sep 01, 2009
Sparck on Oct 2, 2020 wrote:
I'm very disheartened to hear there is this going on in our community :(. We have rules, guidelines, and best practices we try to share with the community to discourage this behavior.

We also have our community and support teams that receive your reports to review them carefully and then implement moderation practices when necessary.

If you have specific in-game instances that you would like to report, please contact our support team:

https://www.wizard101.com/CustomerSupport/game

Anywhere else that something may be occurring, especially in these forums (we moderate these anyway, so this shouldn't be a big problem), please let me know directly.

Thank you for pointing out these concerns so we can improve our responses!
Sparck,

A few days ago, I wrote a post on the length of Dragonspyre. Your moderators approved a response to that post calling me "lazy." As an adult, comments like this don't bother me, but when you claim that actual people are reading each post and comment, what that says is KI thought it was fine to approve a bully.

In game, I have been told (TW) to self-harm, kill myself, been threatened with real-life violence and sexual assault, and told my mother should die of cancer. This has happened too many times to count over many years. I've spoken with other players, including young people, who have been subjected to verbal abuse and bullying almost on a daily basis while questing, farming, and especially while PvPing.

Online bullying and harassment are the leading cause of suicide among young people. Research has shown that abusive interactions online have real world consequences. KI telling victims of in-game abuse and harassment to report and ignore is fine, except that it has little to no effect. The abusers might be muted for a bit, but they return, and they continue the toxic behavior.

I play a MUD that has some of the strictest community chat rules online. You can be gagged and even purged for engaging in the type of bullying, abuse, and harassment, that occurs in Wizard101 on an hourly basis. When you write "...then implement moderation practices when necessary" I wonder what KI deems "necessary." What will have to happen in real life for KI to recognize the toxicity within your own game?

I recall earlier this year that players began posting about allowing gender fluid character design in Wizard101. Young people who are transgender politely and passionately asked if KI could create characters that came a little closer to who they were in their everyday lives. Your moderators approved responses to these posts that were transphobic, homophobic, insulting, and scientifically inaccurate.

As I wrote above, I am an adult. But I am an adult who has survived (TW) suicide attempts, self-harm, and sexual and domestic violence. I live with chronic anxiety, depression, and C-PTSD. I play Wizard101 because it helps with the daily stress of having damaged neural pathways. It can be triggering for people like me to be threatened with things we have survived, to be told to die by suicide, or to self-harm.

KI needs to do a better job of eliminating abuse, bullying, and harassment, both in the game and on this forum. Perhaps more in-game monitors, a permanent zero-tolerance policy that you must agree to before logging in, better responses to reports, and resources for kids and young adults who are being abused in the game.

I love Wizard101. But I don't love it enough to continue playing what many consider one of the most toxic games on the internet.

Explorer
Feb 24, 2015
Thanks very much for the replies everyone. Unfortunately it is too late, and in my opinion its not worth fighting over. My membership expires sometime this month and I'm not even going to seriously try looking to finish Empyrea on the one wizard on my account that has managed to make it to maxed level. (If I happen to come across a group in the team up kiosk I'll give it a try)

Sparck: There are too many instances for me to recall and as I said it is just not worth the trouble of fighting.

Astrologist
Feb 12, 2015
Eliais on Sep 22, 2020 wrote:

I despair over such actions whenever I see them. I am sincerely sorry that you have gone through such bullying and pressure. I fail to understand why some people believe that this is acceptable.

If you ever desire help that you can trust (unlike those sorry fools you've come across), there are people on these message boards who would be more than willing to help you with fights.

Administrator
Snee432 on Oct 3, 2020 wrote:
Sparck,

A few days ago, I wrote a post on the length of Dragonspyre. Your moderators approved a response to that post calling me "lazy." As an adult, comments like this don't bother me, but when you claim that actual people are reading each post and comment, what that says is KI thought it was fine to approve a bully.

In game, I have been told (TW) to self-harm, kill myself, been threatened with real-life violence and sexual assault, and told my mother should die of cancer. This has happened too many times to count over many years. I've spoken with other players, including young people, who have been subjected to verbal abuse and bullying almost on a daily basis while questing, farming, and especially while PvPing.

Online bullying and harassment are the leading cause of suicide among young people. Research has shown that abusive interactions online have real world consequences. KI telling victims of in-game abuse and harassment to report and ignore is fine, except that it has little to no effect. The abusers might be muted for a bit, but they return, and they continue the toxic behavior.

I play a MUD that has some of the strictest community chat rules online. You can be gagged and even purged for engaging in the type of bullying, abuse, and harassment, that occurs in Wizard101 on an hourly basis. When you write "...then implement moderation practices when necessary" I wonder what KI deems "necessary." What will have to happen in real life for KI to recognize the toxicity within your own game?

I recall earlier this year that players began posting about allowing gender fluid character design in Wizard101. Young people who are transgender politely and passionately asked if KI could create characters that came a little closer to who they were in their everyday lives. Your moderators approved responses to these posts that were transphobic, homophobic, insulting, and scientifically inaccurate.

As I wrote above, I am an adult. But I am an adult who has survived (TW) suicide attempts, self-harm, and sexual and domestic violence. I live with chronic anxiety, depression, and C-PTSD. I play Wizard101 because it helps with the daily stress of having damaged neural pathways. It can be triggering for people like me to be threatened with things we have survived, to be told to die by suicide, or to self-harm.

KI needs to do a better job of eliminating abuse, bullying, and harassment, both in the game and on this forum. Perhaps more in-game monitors, a permanent zero-tolerance policy that you must agree to before logging in, better responses to reports, and resources for kids and young adults who are being abused in the game.

I love Wizard101. But I don't love it enough to continue playing what many consider one of the most toxic games on the internet.
My sincere apologies if that type of post and wording got through our review. We absolutely should be doing better here and I take responsibility if something like that gets through the forums.

Please email community@kingsisle.com a link to the post and we'll be sure to review it again thoroughly.

Thanks Snee432

Delver
Jun 10, 2012
Lookit Light on Oct 4, 2020 wrote:
I despair over such actions whenever I see them. I am sincerely sorry that you have gone through such bullying and pressure. I fail to understand why some people believe that this is acceptable.

If you ever desire help that you can trust (unlike those sorry fools you've come across), there are people on these message boards who would be more than willing to help you with fights.
I totally agree with lookit,
If any of you need help anywhere in the spiral i will try to find some time for you.(if you have nothing against mutate elixir and heavy deck of spells).
I try to see the fun part of every action in each fight and i keep in mind i can trigger cheats myself so i try to warn the other when a bad move is going but i don't spit on them because you bladed on the trap phase or you used MY feint for so little damage.
I can be in bad mood and be a little rude or sarcastic(sorry for the ones who meet me at that time)but thats a game and if we fail on a fight well lets retry, we are immortal no?.

I know that just a post and i don't promise to help you because i'm not even sure to see you in game and as a player from europe it's not the same hour.

But i wanted to bring you some hope,i met many rude wizards/witches along my journey to the top i can't remember their names but i met only one great witches (and many good wizard/witches too of course)
Angel pureLumiėre (on french server) she show me what is helping other in w101,she was my best friend and left the game 4 years ago, me and 6 other people who left french server to join US ones broughs her spirit with us.

So don't let the rotten break you in a boss fight when only one bright can help you for at least a full world

Kane GoldenFlame
Lenora
Erin
Seth
Tara
Neela
Heather
Angel PureLumière
And many other

Defender
Jul 21, 2017
Snee432 on Oct 3, 2020 wrote:
Sparck,

There was a post I stumbled upon that had been written back in June of this year.

Someone was reported for using the word Lesbian, when speaking to her friend (a member of the LGTBQIA+ community) and had apparently even received a warning for it.

She came to the forums to ask "Why are words surrounding the LGBT banned and punishable?" and received many responses that never should have made it past moderation.

"This is a game for children" and "It's to stop predators" and comments of that nature, which anyone in the know would recognize as homophobic/transphobic dog whistling.

But that's just it. Those who aren't familiar with the struggle of these communities wouldn't know why these comments aren't acceptable. They might not even know what a dog whistle is, in this context.

KI would benefit from a Moderator who is trained to recognize these things, and who takes a hard stance against them.

All that aside, in choosing to censor and punish players for using words relating to the identity of LGBTQIA+ people (children and otherwise) they are actively harming members of those communities, whether that is their intent or not.

No matter their reasoning, treating the existence of LGBTQIA+ people like they're something to be ashamed of and hidden is never okay. That mentality literally kills.

It's the reason "coming out" is such a big deal in our communities, and why we chant "We're here, we're queer, get used to it." at our Pride Parades. Learning to feel comfortable just EXISTING as ourselves with all the hate and bigotry some of us had to grow up around is a monumental task.

KI needs to take a hard stance against this kind of discrimination. Zero tolerance. Especially for those who try to justify it with their religion.