Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Improving Second Chance Chests

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 14, 2009
As a member benefit, free Reroll of Second Chance Chests is easily one of the worst. The idea is fine, but the second chance chests are terribly executed. The purpose of these chests is to reduce the amount of farming for a small fee. This acts as a great middle ground for those who want to farm but don't have the time/energy, while also offering a potentially cheaper option for players who are getting pack gear like Sinbad's wands.

From a monetary standpoint and a player standpoint, there is no logic behind this. KI has proven that they are fine with gambling tactics with these chests and packs, but these chests don't even entice the player to use them. I would like to preface this idea with the fact that I have never used a non-free second chance chest and I have no intention to with the current system.

The problem is that Second Chance Chests are not available for long-standing dungeons, bosses with unique gear, and their limitations.

They're not widely available.
Long-time dungeons like Waterworks, Tower of the Helephant, Olympus, and Atlantea don't have any. Bosses with unique drops should all get them. Gauntlets, side bosses, and Skeleton Key bosses too. Adding chests to the Catacombs could've banked KI a LOT of money.

Balancing.
Since most meta gear is heavily farmed or bought through crowns, it doesn't make any sense to not have an option to purchase another chance to get it. Think of it as the middle-ground between lots of farming and spending Crowns. It creates diversity in spending.

Rework.
Currently, these chests don't look like they are worth it. They drop a single item and a little gold, then increase in price. The pricing should be reworked and drops should be reworked. The model should follow 50+25*attempt (50, 75, 100, 125, 150) on single battles and remain 50*attempt for longer battles (i.e. dunegons). It still entices the player to try again, but on the 8th try, you'd be paying 225 instead for a battle like Yevengy and 400 crowns for Malistaire (both in Darkmoor). Also, if there's not already, there needs to be a cap/cutoff. Players should get 10 tries (or 2,750 Crowns) per run to encourage responsibility.

Additionally, these chests feel barren. The UI is small and lackluster, and it doesn't feel like you get much when you use it. 2 drops. Every. Single. Time. I propose that they drop more items (even more fluff is better than nothing). They should be like Pirate101 and drop 3 "things"
  1. gold
  2. wildcard
  3. item

Where item is what is currently drops, but wildcard can be anything that is dropped: a reagent, pet snack, equipment, mount, spell, etc. That way it feels like you actually got something of value. Most of the time, it'll likely be a pet snack or reagent or maybe some extra gold, but it offers as an opportunity to get more than just 1 singular chance at an item. Remember, you can get multiple gear pieces in the battle itself, but you can't when you get a "second chance" - which is just messed up.

This would also be a good time to rethink to add additional loot corresponding to all enemies, not just the boss (i.e. you get gold from all 4 enemies).

Member Benefit Free Roll Reset
Additionally, I think the free roll reset rate should be faster. Instead of resetting per day, it should reset per run. I know this won't be included because it would be "overpowered" to double the chance of getting spells from Loremaster, but maybe every 30 minutes is a good rate (and the rate should be displayed on the chest). That way, those farming longer dungeons like Darkmoor won't be impacted but Loremaster, Nightshade, and other bosses aren't messed up. Or rather, the solution is to provide a simple 3 free rerolls a day per chest (make them 1 per attempt to balance it out). I think the latter is easiest and best, but either way, this system needs some help.

By "buffing" these chests and making them more widely available, you are creating a decent alternative to farming all over again, which is difficult in longer dungeons. It will actually feel like you earned something useful. It will increase the incentive for players to use the member benefit and could lead to more membership sales. This system could prove useful for both KI and players alike, if used responsibly.