Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Level Tiers

AuthorMessage
Delver
Jan 18, 2013
A constant problem in the arena is unfair level match ups. As your rank climbs you start facing higher and higher level opponents until you end up in a match with such a high level gap that no amount of playing well can win you the game. Of course this is not relevant to max level PvP. The truth is, low level PvPers don't want to play against opponents outside of their level range. If you're a low level warlord, you want to play against other low level warlords all the time. We want games against opponents that can challenge us but we actually have a chance of winning.

How do we solve this issue?

I would suggest introducing level tiers within PvP.

The concept is simple. Players can only be matched with other player in their level tier.

How would the split in level tiers look?

The obvious answer would be something every 10 levels like this:

1-10
11-20
21-30
31-40
41-50
51-60
61-70
71-80
81-90
91-100
101-110
111-120
121-130

This may seem like a good start, but there is a lot that could be improved. For starters there are 13 different tiers which is far too many. Because the division of tiers is too great, each tier will have less of a pool of players making it harder to find a suitable match or a match at all. Also the difference in potential of higher tiers is much less than lower ones. For example there is very little difference between levels 120 and 130 while there is a huge difference between levels 10 and 20. In fact there may even need to be more divisions in the lower levels because there is also a huge difference between levels 5 and 10.

A better way to do this is to have the level gap of each tier exponentially increase such as doubling, like:

1-2
3-4
5-8
9-16
17-32
33-64
65-128
129+

Or tripling:

1-3
4-9
10-27
28-81
82+

This kind of division requires much less tiers and has much more relevant tiers over all.

My recommendation of how it should be done, does not have perfect symmetry like the examples above, but follows roughly the same pattern. Instead of the next tier level limit being a perfect double of the previous, the limit has been chosen at a level just below a key level where a wizard gains a significant power boost. I will explain the reason for each level cut off.

1-4
Level 4 is the cut off for this tier because level 5 is the lowest possible level you can finish Unicorn Way to gain Fairy and your first school quest spell. Also it's the level before gaining access to level 5 two pip spells.

5-9
Level 9 is the cut off this tier because at level 10 wizards start getting a base power pip bonus and pack wands start giving a starting pip.

10-19
Level 19 is the cut off this tier because at level 20 pack wands start giving a starting power pip.

20-49
Level 49 is the cut off this tier because at level 50 you gain access to Glendemming gear.

50-99
Level 99 is the the cut off this tier because at level 100 you gain access to shadow magic.

100+
This is the final open tier which goes from level 100 to max level.

This is just my opinion, Please everyone else share your own opinions of how you would divide PvP into tiers and why.

Delver
Mar 09, 2018
Ghost stone on Sep 1, 2020 wrote:
A constant problem in the arena is unfair level match ups. As your rank climbs you start facing higher and higher level opponents until you end up in a match with such a high level gap that no amount of playing well can win you the game. Of course this is not relevant to max level PvP. The truth is, low level PvPers don't want to play against opponents outside of their level range. If you're a low level warlord, you want to play against other low level warlords all the time. We want games against opponents that can challenge us but we actually have a chance of winning.

How do we solve this issue?

I would suggest introducing level tiers within PvP.

The concept is simple. Players can only be matched with other player in their level tier.

How would the split in level tiers look?

The obvious answer would be something every 10 levels like this:

1-10
11-20
21-30
31-40
41-50
51-60
61-70
71-80
81-90
91-100
101-110
111-120
121-130

This may seem like a good start, but there is a lot that could be improved. For starters there are 13 different tiers which is far too many. Because the division of tiers is too great, each tier will have less of a pool of players making it harder to find a suitable match or a match at all. Also the difference in potential of higher tiers is much less than lower ones. For example there is very little difference between levels 120 and 130 while there is a huge difference between levels 10 and 20. In fact there may even need to be more divisions in the lower levels because there is also a huge difference between levels 5 and 10.

A better way to do this is to have the level gap of each tier exponentially increase such as doubling, like:

1-2
3-4
5-8
9-16
17-32
33-64
65-128
129+

Or tripling:

1-3
4-9
10-27
28-81
82+

This kind of division requires much less tiers and has much more relevant tiers over all.

My recommendation of how it should be done, does not have perfect symmetry like the examples above, but follows roughly the same pattern. Instead of the next tier level limit being a perfect double of the previous, the limit has been chosen at a level just below a key level where a wizard gains a significant power boost. I will explain the reason for each level cut off.

1-4
Level 4 is the cut off for this tier because level 5 is the lowest possible level you can finish Unicorn Way to gain Fairy and your first school quest spell. Also it's the level before gaining access to level 5 two pip spells.

5-9
Level 9 is the cut off this tier because at level 10 wizards start getting a base power pip bonus and pack wands start giving a starting pip.

10-19
Level 19 is the cut off this tier because at level 20 pack wands start giving a starting power pip.

20-49
Level 49 is the cut off this tier because at level 50 you gain access to Glendemming gear.

50-99
Level 99 is the the cut off this tier because at level 100 you gain access to shadow magic.

100+
This is the final open tier which goes from level 100 to max level.

This is just my opinion, Please everyone else share your own opinions of how you would divide PvP into tiers and why.
I just kinda don't think a level 65 should be able to go against a level 128, but good ideas here.

Defender
Jun 14, 2017
I like yours tiers but I would like to see Kingsisle tiers also for 5th age rank pvp.

I know it will have seasons in 5th age rank pvp which is okay with me.

Samantha Max be family friendly to all players.