Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

spell deckathon, is it for higher level players?

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Apr 04, 2009
So im only a level 42 ice wizard and i have to say, not to much of a fan of these deckathons, while i can see how they are enjoyable to some, it feels like your heavily punished for not being max level and having access to all the resources that provides.
cause i only have the level 2 ice deck for this and i can't get past the 3rd section of the tower, i don't have enough gold to get the treasure cards i need and its a very limiting way to get scroll points since you can't just keep defeating monsters in the tower and the only other way is using treasure cards and you only get 20 points for that.

So am i jsut not doing this right? or is it really meant for the veteran players?

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
Actually, players with access to higher level wizards may fair slightly easier because of the more availability to resources such as gold or treasures.

That doesn't mean however that lower level wizards can't do well either.

Remember, many veteran players garden which is an excellent source of both treasures and gold.

Some players also choose which deckathalon to participate in on a given basis, while others choose to partake in all of them.

And of course, strategy is important.

Geographer
Sep 07, 2011
You can certainly get to higher levels with a low level character. High levels have the advantage of using better jewels, but other than that, anyone can succeed in the event. Farm the lower levels for runes to craft better decks, and advance a stage or two at a time. You are right about gold though. Buying cards is expensive. Gardening is the best way to keep your gold supply up.

Survivor
Aug 27, 2009
I've been slowly making my way to the larger decks by just playing what levels I can. This past Ice Deckathlon was somewhat expensive for me. I like to use whatever School Deck I have that is the largest to start the latest challenge because it lets me take in the most cards. The defences and such aren't right, but in the lower levels you can get by without as much School specific defence. I finally got a lvl 4 Deck this time around. I'm still somewhat newer to the game, so I figure that it just takes a while to get to where the long term folks are.

I couldn't beat lvl 5 for the life of me, even using Elemental Shields and Glacial Shields (they start stealing your shields at that level). So I just played lvl 3 & 4 for points and reagents to stock up for next time. Having enough shields is important. With many classes, you can start off with Death cards that have Siphon so that you don't have to waste too many card slots with heals. You can also try to breed a pet that has "May Cast" heals on it, but don't be too dependent on that. I have a Piggle with May Cast Sprite, Fairy, and Healing Current. Many times it did nothing to save me, then I would get hit for 2 points and she would drop all 3 heals on me. I try to let myself die on whatever level I'm not going to make it through, if I don't have enough attacks to kill that level, so that I get the XP, I just pass every time. That Piggle put up a fight then!

It's somewhat about keeping a stock of Treasure Cards to get through things, or buying them/crafting them during the event. As this can get expensive, keeping some tucked away in a spare deck's TC slots to keep them from taking up too much space in your allotted TC's seems to work well. If you aren't getting many TCs that are useful in your questing, try visiting houses that have Item Drops on a daily basis. The Amber Estate seems to have a remarkably high amount of Dual Shield Cards dropping from it. When buying cards for the event, check the bazaar section of Argleston's Cards before buying directly from him. They are often much cheaper and there's a lot more variety.

It is a struggle to get started. I'm not sure how long it's going to take me to get to where I can get passed a lvl 5, but I'll just keep doing what I can to get there. Good luck to you!

Side note - to take up less bag space, store the runes and such in your bank between events.