Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Please Make A Community Event: Design-a-World Contest!

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 14, 2020
Hold a housing contest for decorating (and using Castle Magic) a free castle that only lasts for the purpose of the event. (So this way everyone can participate.)

The top 10 houses decorated (chosen by the community) and the top 10 houses decorated (chosen by KingsIsle) get a new in-game castle. A "empty world" that they can design. Includes a maximum of 3500 items (instead of 350 maximum) and is much larger.

Players could really show off their skill, and this would really help show off non-combat aspects of Wizard101. I'd also love to see what players and the community at large could do with world-design. We could see quests, puzzles, mazes, and so much more. It might also give new ideas for KingsIsle's level design team. After all, the game DOTA started off as just a map/mod for Warcraft III, but it ended up creating the entire MOBA genre.

Please, KingsIsle, make this happen. Heck, I'd love to visit some player-created worlds. Just to see what the community can cook up. :)

Administrator
rsilverblood101 on Aug 6, 2020 wrote:
Hold a housing contest for decorating (and using Castle Magic) a free castle that only lasts for the purpose of the event. (So this way everyone can participate.)

The top 10 houses decorated (chosen by the community) and the top 10 houses decorated (chosen by KingsIsle) get a new in-game castle. A "empty world" that they can design. Includes a maximum of 3500 items (instead of 350 maximum) and is much larger.

Players could really show off their skill, and this would really help show off non-combat aspects of Wizard101. I'd also love to see what players and the community at large could do with world-design. We could see quests, puzzles, mazes, and so much more. It might also give new ideas for KingsIsle's level design team. After all, the game DOTA started off as just a map/mod for Warcraft III, but it ended up creating the entire MOBA genre.

Please, KingsIsle, make this happen. Heck, I'd love to visit some player-created worlds. Just to see what the community can cook up. :)
I love this idea! The only concern of course is the winner's idea, well, we couldn't realistically design the next world around that idea without very careful consideration.

But perhaps a fun sort of contest on this theme could still be done. Especially if it's conducted by the community itself.

Survivor
May 14, 2020
Oh no, the idea wasn't a "design-the-next-world" contest. Just "design-a-world". It's just a one-off world disconnected from the main storyline. A one-shot world.

Just a side-quest world for fun, nothing else.

The only thing that would need to happen from KingsIsle is a way to give players the housing tools, items, questing resources and housing item limit increase for this contest. (The reason I mentioned KingsIsle choosing some winners is because too many items can cause way too much lag. And not everyone has a good enough computer to run the craziest houses in Wizard101.)

Think something short and simple like Unicorn Lane. But player-made. And instead of using personal housing items from their own account, maybe grant players access to all housing items, but those items can only be placed in the Design-a-World house.

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
Speaking of Ideas,

What about allowing Wizards/The Community to submit fan art to KI with winners having their art implemented within loading screens on say a monthly or three month basis within the game?

There are many talented wizards within the community who are excellent with graphic/art/drawing designs. I feel this talented area of wizards deserves some attention and a chance to express themselves better too!

I am also sure the community would appreciate the diversity within the different Loading Screens all due to the very players themselves.

Survivor
May 14, 2020
I feel I should clarify. I mean giving a small group of players the chance to use the Housing system and Castle Magic as tools for Level Design.

Not asking the level design team to assist in creating a fan-written world.

Just as an experiment to see what player-designed worlds might be like.

All KingsIsle needs to do is remove limits (like the 350 housing items), provide a blank world for players to try out, items for them to use, and do a tiny bit of marketing to promote how powerful and useful the housing system is, and the creativity of the players in the community.