Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

New Shadow Pip Rating System

AuthorMessage
Delver
Jan 18, 2013
OK KI, so I've heard about this new rating system that you're planning to put into the game to replace shadow pip percentage chance and maybe resist percentage. We know the reason for this is they do not scale in a linear fashion such damage does. But let me explain why you don't need to change a perfectly good stat system to a more complicated one with hidden confusing values to achieve the same thing.
Introducing critical as a rating instead of a percentage and having double damage instead of also adding a critical damage stat was also a mistake. But we will let that slide for now.

So there are stats as I'm sure you're already aware that can scale up with level without putting anything out of balance, which are:

HP, Damage and Heal boost

Resist on the other hand cannot keep increasing without causing problems within the game. An argument can be made that it has already increased beyond what it should have and caused problems, only for massive amounts of damage and pierce to be added to try and counter it.

The solution is to increase HP, Damage and Heal boost exponentially with gear as levels increase while resist remains relatively the same without increasing any further. Don't feel like we need to have every single stat gradually increasing the higher level we get. The reality is, as long as each higher level gear is better than the previous, we will be happy.

For Example, gear with

1100HP
22%Damage
11%Heal boost
10%Resist

Is better than

1000HP
20%Damage
10%Heal boost
10%Resist

The resist didn't increase and the the stats of the higher level gear remain balanced. But the higher level gear does give improved stats over all, making it better, which is all we want.

The stats don't all have to increase perfectly linear as in the example, they can all fluctuate a bit with different varieties of gear and schools. This is just the general principle you should follow.

So now we know the principle, what is a healthy level of resist to limit gear to when increasing levels? I would suggest we look back to the games PvP prime when the max level was 50 or 60, but a little extra will need to be added to account for the new pierce stat which has been added since then. Pierce is also a stat that needs to be limited and not increase with level. This should ensure the future of the game stats regardless of how many levels are added.

But what do we do about all the other already existing gear with much higher resist? Well, nothing really. I don't think its a good idea to nerf or remove things from the game, especially when people have payed real money for it. It's OK to continue releasing higher level gear in packs as long as the resist isn't increasing higher than what it already is.

Shadow Pip chance is something i want to talk about separate because it could go one of two ways. The first is limiting it the same as I suggested with resist or allowing it to increase the same as Power Pip chance where the natural limit is 100%. If this were the case for the new play style of higher level wizards, spells, damage% and HP should be adjusted around this stat to ensure gameplay remains balanced and playable with an abundance of shadow pips.

As you can see an overhaul of the stats is not required to fix this problem. If anything critical needs to be converted to a limited percentage such as i discussed with resist. I've always found it unnecessarily confusing and hated how it decreases as you level up.

Geographer
Sep 30, 2018
Ghost stone on Jun 25, 2020 wrote:
OK KI, so I've heard about this new rating system that you're planning to put into the game to replace shadow pip percentage chance and maybe resist percentage. We know the reason for this is they do not scale in a linear fashion such damage does. But let me explain why you don't need to change a perfectly good stat system to a more complicated one with hidden confusing values to achieve the same thing.
Introducing critical as a rating instead of a percentage and having double damage instead of also adding a critical damage stat was also a mistake. But we will let that slide for now.

So there are stats as I'm sure you're already aware that can scale up with level without putting anything out of balance, which are:

HP, Damage and Heal boost

Resist on the other hand cannot keep increasing without causing problems within the game. An argument can be made that it has already increased beyond what it should have and caused problems, only for massive amounts of damage and pierce to be added to try and counter it.

The solution is to increase HP, Damage and Heal boost exponentially with gear as levels increase while resist remains relatively the same without increasing any further. Don't feel like we need to have every single stat gradually increasing the higher level we get. The reality is, as long as each higher level gear is better than the previous, we will be happy.

For Example, gear with

1100HP
22%Damage
11%Heal boost
10%Resist

Is better than

1000HP
20%Damage
10%Heal boost
10%Resist

The resist didn't increase and the the stats of the higher level gear remain balanced. But the higher level gear does give improved stats over all, making it better, which is all we want.

The stats don't all have to increase perfectly linear as in the example, they can all fluctuate a bit with different varieties of gear and schools. This is just the general principle you should follow.

So now we know the principle, what is a healthy level of resist to limit gear to when increasing levels? I would suggest we look back to the games PvP prime when the max level was 50 or 60, but a little extra will need to be added to account for the new pierce stat which has been added since then. Pierce is also a stat that needs to be limited and not increase with level. This should ensure the future of the game stats regardless of how many levels are added.

But what do we do about all the other already existing gear with much higher resist? Well, nothing really. I don't think its a good idea to nerf or remove things from the game, especially when people have payed real money for it. It's OK to continue releasing higher level gear in packs as long as the resist isn't increasing higher than what it already is.

Shadow Pip chance is something i want to talk about separate because it could go one of two ways. The first is limiting it the same as I suggested with resist or allowing it to increase the same as Power Pip chance where the natural limit is 100%. If this were the case for the new play style of higher level wizards, spells, damage% and HP should be adjusted around this stat to ensure gameplay remains balanced and playable with an abundance of shadow pips.

As you can see an overhaul of the stats is not required to fix this problem. If anything critical needs to be converted to a limited percentage such as i discussed with resist. I've always found it unnecessarily confusing and hated how it decreases as you level up.
I think another benefit to stat would be putting in something new. Stat bonus is a perfect way to balanced out stats while keeping gears relatively modern. I like your view point on the idea as we share similar mindset to this approach.