Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Life Scion is a Useless spell!

AuthorMessage
Geographer
Sep 30, 2018
At this late in the game giving life a healing spell while every other school got a damage spells reminds me of level 48. When everyone got a damage spell at 48 life got rebirth, but at that time rebirth was an amazing spell for both pvp and pve scenarios. Now at visionary level 130, a healing spell for 11 pips is completely useless even if its an aoe spell. I believe just like devoition when life had cycle of life, this spells has to have 2 options. One being the current state of heal for those who wants a heal and the other being damage for those who wants a damage path.

The reason i say this, is because with spells like pigsie and rebirth combine with jade gears or critical outgoing heal setup, for 11 pips you can essentialy heal a team for a ton amount. For example, casting a pigsie a total of 3 times considering you gain power pip, in those 3 times of casting I guarantee you if your outgoing is high you can do as much if not more 3x as much heals to your team than what you would do with a scion if your not almost dead already.

The fact that this went live after thousands of complaints and post shows how much little attention has been giving. I know the pvp discusion is coming up soon, but this isn't just about pvp its about life direction in the damage department. What I would like to know is what gave the developers the idea for a scion heal spell that cost 11 pips after giving us so many heals already including pigsie, would be a good idea? I don't want to hear about lore and opinionated concept on school role, I want to know after giving us the last healing spell at level 47 why at 130 near endgame of empyrea you gave us a heal in a meta where scions dominate pvp. Because, if your willing to tell us that your trying to keep the schools uniqueness then perhaps a damage and heal spell like swan is the way to go. Changing it to do 1100 base damage with x2 requirement that gives a dot heal to self is far more better than a heal that does what it does. Just my 2cent

Mastermind
Mar 16, 2009
I think this spell was made for the Life Wizards who don't have good Outgoing or Crit, who can't just keep everyone alive and at full health with 3 Pigsies in a row. AoE heals are great for them, but sometimes may need a single-target heal on one person because their Outgoing/Crit isn't good enough. The Life Scion is a tool to revive a dead teammate so that they don't have to flee and return to face the wrath of late cheats that are becoming more and more dangerous to the entire team rather than just themselves.

Except...

This card costs 11 pips. For 8 pips, you can outperform this heal with two Satyrs. If your actions are so important that you should avoid spending multiple turns on small heals, and would rather use one big heal, Dryad matches the healing from this spell at 7 pips. Undoubled, of course. This spell only compares favorably to other healing spells when it's doubled. And when it is, an 11-pip Dryad is this spell doubled but without the healing overtime. Except Dryad can be used for less than 11 pips. And also more - a 14-pip Dryad matches the Scion's doubled healing even if you include the overtime. And most people don't use Dryad because it isn't the best Life heal. If the Life Scion compares poorly to a spell that isn't that good itself...

Being able to use this spell and have its healing doubled begs the question, how did you get into this situation? Your teammate is down, and you, the healer has 11 pips. You weren't giving the hitter any tri-blades, you weren't casting any Feints (probably because every hard boss hates them now), and you hadn't been healing. Your teammate dying means that they lose any blades that are on them, all of the pips they may have had, and that they cannot take any actions until revived. If you had been healing earlier, this would not have happened. Your ally would not have lost their buffs, pips, or lost out on any actions.

Being able to use this spell effectively indicates the user's failure to be a good healer. That, or you're fighting the Aethyr Elemental or some other boss that starts out easy and then becomes much harder mid-combat. I think Life already had all of their bases covered when it comes to healing. They have small heals (Fairy, Pigsie, Satyr), big heals (Dryad, Rebirth I guess), and good options for both single-target and AoE heals. For new Life heals to be useful, they would either need to outclass a heal that already exists or have a secondary effect. The Life Scion doesn't do the first one, and its secondary effects just amount to "more healing."

Delver
Nov 25, 2012
angellifeheart on Jun 14, 2020 wrote:
At this late in the game giving life a healing spell while every other school got a damage spells reminds me of level 48. When everyone got a damage spell at 48 life got rebirth, but at that time rebirth was an amazing spell for both pvp and pve scenarios. Now at visionary level 130, a healing spell for 11 pips is completely useless even if its an aoe spell. I believe just like devoition when life had cycle of life, this spells has to have 2 options. One being the current state of heal for those who wants a heal and the other being damage for those who wants a damage path.

The reason i say this, is because with spells like pigsie and rebirth combine with jade gears or critical outgoing heal setup, for 11 pips you can essentialy heal a team for a ton amount. For example, casting a pigsie a total of 3 times considering you gain power pip, in those 3 times of casting I guarantee you if your outgoing is high you can do as much if not more 3x as much heals to your team than what you would do with a scion if your not almost dead already.

The fact that this went live after thousands of complaints and post shows how much little attention has been giving. I know the pvp discusion is coming up soon, but this isn't just about pvp its about life direction in the damage department. What I would like to know is what gave the developers the idea for a scion heal spell that cost 11 pips after giving us so many heals already including pigsie, would be a good idea? I don't want to hear about lore and opinionated concept on school role, I want to know after giving us the last healing spell at level 47 why at 130 near endgame of empyrea you gave us a heal in a meta where scions dominate pvp. Because, if your willing to tell us that your trying to keep the schools uniqueness then perhaps a damage and heal spell like swan is the way to go. Changing it to do 1100 base damage with x2 requirement that gives a dot heal to self is far more better than a heal that does what it does. Just my 2cent
I agree with you, it isn't helpful, and I did like the life school to get more damage spells than healig spells.

Geographer
Sep 30, 2018
Torpzun26 on Jun 21, 2020 wrote:
I think this spell was made for the Life Wizards who don't have good Outgoing or Crit, who can't just keep everyone alive and at full health with 3 Pigsies in a row. AoE heals are great for them, but sometimes may need a single-target heal on one person because their Outgoing/Crit isn't good enough. The Life Scion is a tool to revive a dead teammate so that they don't have to flee and return to face the wrath of late cheats that are becoming more and more dangerous to the entire team rather than just themselves.

Except...

This card costs 11 pips. For 8 pips, you can outperform this heal with two Satyrs. If your actions are so important that you should avoid spending multiple turns on small heals, and would rather use one big heal, Dryad matches the healing from this spell at 7 pips. Undoubled, of course. This spell only compares favorably to other healing spells when it's doubled. And when it is, an 11-pip Dryad is this spell doubled but without the healing overtime. Except Dryad can be used for less than 11 pips. And also more - a 14-pip Dryad matches the Scion's doubled healing even if you include the overtime. And most people don't use Dryad because it isn't the best Life heal. If the Life Scion compares poorly to a spell that isn't that good itself...

Being able to use this spell and have its healing doubled begs the question, how did you get into this situation? Your teammate is down, and you, the healer has 11 pips. You weren't giving the hitter any tri-blades, you weren't casting any Feints (probably because every hard boss hates them now), and you hadn't been healing. Your teammate dying means that they lose any blades that are on them, all of the pips they may have had, and that they cannot take any actions until revived. If you had been healing earlier, this would not have happened. Your ally would not have lost their buffs, pips, or lost out on any actions.

Being able to use this spell effectively indicates the user's failure to be a good healer. That, or you're fighting the Aethyr Elemental or some other boss that starts out easy and then becomes much harder mid-combat. I think Life already had all of their bases covered when it comes to healing. They have small heals (Fairy, Pigsie, Satyr), big heals (Dryad, Rebirth I guess), and good options for both single-target and AoE heals. For new Life heals to be useful, they would either need to outclass a heal that already exists or have a secondary effect. The Life Scion doesn't do the first one, and its secondary effects just amount to "more healing."
This is not a valid claim on who the spell was made for. A spell should be good regardless of the stats of a player. What I explained in my previous post, was that life school are hitters, they aren't only healers. In fact i did a recount on hitting spells vs healing spells and found out that life has more hits than heals.

Mastermind
Mar 16, 2009
angellifeheart on Jun 30, 2020 wrote:
This is not a valid claim on who the spell was made for. A spell should be good regardless of the stats of a player. What I explained in my previous post, was that life school are hitters, they aren't only healers. In fact i did a recount on hitting spells vs healing spells and found out that life has more hits than heals.
What I explained in my post, was that the Life Scion is in a position where it is completely impossible for it to be a good healing spell no matter what adjustments were made to it. After the bit about how it just doesn't even work because Dryad exists. The first paragraph was about why I think the spell exists, and I was sure I had made it abundantly clear that I don't agree with that reasoning.

I can say it again: This spell is useless, not only because the healing is terrible, but because of the position you need to be in to even cast the spell. There is no fixing they could give this without ruining the single-target flavor of the Scion spells. It should not exist as a healing spell.

Champion
Feb 06, 2010
Star Gator on Jun 21, 2020 wrote:
I agree with you, it isn't helpful, and I did like the life school to get more damage spells than healig spells.
Me too, but that will never happen.

Major healing classes (for any mmo) never get good damage. If you play solo, it will take you a bit longer.

Survivor
Aug 29, 2016
Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
Since Life is my main wizard, being a good healer on a team means keeping them all alive even if I don't use a damage spell. I dual box a lot and in doing so, I tank. By being in that position, I can heal others BEFORE they die meaning, they don't lose their buffs or pips. Even if they killed by a foe during the same round, as long as I am Tanking, and healing them as soon as it is my turn, I can still preserve all their buffs and pips. If I am on the last spot, then I better be keeping up with the heals and no hits. If I can help buff another I will, but not if it costs any team member.

I don't really care to have Scion of Life for several reasons, but 11 pips??? No. If I am going to have to use 11 pips, I want another AoE for my life wizards. But even at that, 11 pips is getting too high. Building PPs high enough in some battles is not an option. It is either hit and try to survive or die very quickly.

Survivor
Aug 18, 2009
angellifeheart on Jun 14, 2020 wrote:

It's not even an AoE. It's labeled as one but it's HoT effect only applies to the target. When compared to other heals in life's arsenal, it's not only the most unrealistic given the pop cost, but also the worst pip for pip heal the school has.

Legitimately, this spell is just useless. However, I did have some ideas on how it could be made more useful. Balancing of course is a separateissue that the devs understand better, but these were my thoughts.

1. Rebirth's big sister. 800 health to all friendlies and 800 absorb x2 if target is below 25% health.
  2. 1000 health to all friendlies and mass 40% healing charm x2 if target is below 25% health
  3. Mass gnome. 600 damage and life dispel to all enemies x2 if caster above 75% health

I hope with all the rebalancing the devs can take a look at the scions and make them useable spells for schools other than fire and storm.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
serene sparks on Jul 11, 2020 wrote:
It's not even an AoE. It's labeled as one but it's HoT effect only applies to the target. When compared to other heals in life's arsenal, it's not only the most unrealistic given the pop cost, but also the worst pip for pip heal the school has.

Legitimately, this spell is just useless. However, I did have some ideas on how it could be made more useful. Balancing of course is a separateissue that the devs understand better, but these were my thoughts.

1. Rebirth's big sister. 800 health to all friendlies and 800 absorb x2 if target is below 25% health.
  2. 1000 health to all friendlies and mass 40% healing charm x2 if target is below 25% health
  3. Mass gnome. 600 damage and life dispel to all enemies x2 if caster above 75% health

I hope with all the rebalancing the devs can take a look at the scions and make them useable spells for schools other than fire and storm.
Life Scion would be more beneficial as a Damage spell instead of heal. We don't need more healing spells at this time.

Gnome is better as a single hit with DISPELS instead of infection. Generally, this spell works best against a Life boss only. As for an Aoe, NO. If the spell is enhanced and the caster is well buffed, it can do an immense amount of damage. IE: Life vs Life. other than that, the spell is not worth loading.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
So, I will update my post on THIS THREAD, so it reflects updated information for AoE heals (NOT counting what's in test realm currently):

3 pips, 275 (unicorn)
4 pips, 550 (pigsie)
7 pips, 650 (rebirth)
11 pips, 1400 (scion of life)

For 77 pips, you can heal 7,150 health per person with Rebirth (cast 11 times) or 9,800 per person with Scion of Life (cast 7 times)

For 44 pips, you can heal 6,050 health per person with Pigsie (cast 11 times) or 5,600 per person with Scion of Life (cast 4 times)

For 33 Pips, you can heal 3,025 health per person with Unicorn (cast 11 times) or 4,200 per person with Scion of Life (cast 3 times)

Sure, in some cases Scion of Life heals more, BUT, it costs way more pips to do so. Nobody has time to wait 6 rounds to be able to cast it once when you can cast Pigsie 3 times in the same time.

Let's compare health per pip as well:

91.67 per pip (Unicorn)
137.5 per pip (Pigsie)
92.86 per pip (Rebirth)
127.27 per pip (Scion of Life)

Part of being a GREAT healer, is knowing which spells to stock. You can't always rely on certain spells, but you can ALWAYS rely on healing spells and Primordial and Radical. I always stock Lesser Healing as well, which gives me time to build pips. IF I can use the TC Sanctuary, without a critical heal, I can get 1,000 healing to a single person, for free, with my healing attire. I tend to stock equal amounts of Pigsie and unicorn, a couple of Satyrs, a couple of Lesser Healing, Sun boosting spells enough for both, and 3 or 4 reshuffles. Everything else comes out of my deck. My outbound healing is like 150% or so (as I recall, I don't have the game up right now).

The overall point is, IF you can afford to wait and cast Scion of Life, it can be a good spell, but for my money, I'd rather pop the equivalent Pigsie spells and get more healing. NOBODY has that kind of time. 11 pip spells are pointless for the NORMAL PvE requirements, and I dont EVER want to see a time when we HAVE to rely on such a cost prohibitive spell like SoL.

Geographer
Sep 30, 2018
dayerider on Jul 14, 2020 wrote:
So, I will update my post on THIS THREAD, so it reflects updated information for AoE heals (NOT counting what's in test realm currently):

3 pips, 275 (unicorn)
4 pips, 550 (pigsie)
7 pips, 650 (rebirth)
11 pips, 1400 (scion of life)

For 77 pips, you can heal 7,150 health per person with Rebirth (cast 11 times) or 9,800 per person with Scion of Life (cast 7 times)

For 44 pips, you can heal 6,050 health per person with Pigsie (cast 11 times) or 5,600 per person with Scion of Life (cast 4 times)

For 33 Pips, you can heal 3,025 health per person with Unicorn (cast 11 times) or 4,200 per person with Scion of Life (cast 3 times)

Sure, in some cases Scion of Life heals more, BUT, it costs way more pips to do so. Nobody has time to wait 6 rounds to be able to cast it once when you can cast Pigsie 3 times in the same time.

Let's compare health per pip as well:

91.67 per pip (Unicorn)
137.5 per pip (Pigsie)
92.86 per pip (Rebirth)
127.27 per pip (Scion of Life)

Part of being a GREAT healer, is knowing which spells to stock. You can't always rely on certain spells, but you can ALWAYS rely on healing spells and Primordial and Radical. I always stock Lesser Healing as well, which gives me time to build pips. IF I can use the TC Sanctuary, without a critical heal, I can get 1,000 healing to a single person, for free, with my healing attire. I tend to stock equal amounts of Pigsie and unicorn, a couple of Satyrs, a couple of Lesser Healing, Sun boosting spells enough for both, and 3 or 4 reshuffles. Everything else comes out of my deck. My outbound healing is like 150% or so (as I recall, I don't have the game up right now).

The overall point is, IF you can afford to wait and cast Scion of Life, it can be a good spell, but for my money, I'd rather pop the equivalent Pigsie spells and get more healing. NOBODY has that kind of time. 11 pip spells are pointless for the NORMAL PvE requirements, and I dont EVER want to see a time when we HAVE to rely on such a cost prohibitive spell like SoL.
I think semi tank+critical healing is the best way to go, and the reason i say this is because all the gears are free, unlike jade, its zero pay to win. So with 60 universal resist and 72 outgoing with 60 critical i find myself healing 5-6 k on rebirth alone. Been on test realm with the new rebirth updated with guiding light, sanctuary and aura i heal for 10-13k with rebirth. If that doesn't satisfy life mains in team fights to rather waiting for 11 pip for god knows what, then i don't know what does.

So lets be real, enough with the heals and stay on the damage path.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
angellifeheart on Jul 18, 2020 wrote:
I think semi tank+critical healing is the best way to go, and the reason i say this is because all the gears are free, unlike jade, its zero pay to win. So with 60 universal resist and 72 outgoing with 60 critical i find myself healing 5-6 k on rebirth alone. Been on test realm with the new rebirth updated with guiding light, sanctuary and aura i heal for 10-13k with rebirth. If that doesn't satisfy life mains in team fights to rather waiting for 11 pip for god knows what, then i don't know what does.

So lets be real, enough with the heals and stay on the damage path.
I would say critical healing was the way to go, but only if that extra healing did something. If you're healing a player who needs 2,000 hp to max out, and you heal them for 6,000, that other 4k health should go somewhere or else it's wasted. People have suggested it should heal up a bottle, or go to an absorb, etc, which would be nice.

Geographer
Sep 30, 2018
dayerider on Jul 20, 2020 wrote:
I would say critical healing was the way to go, but only if that extra healing did something. If you're healing a player who needs 2,000 hp to max out, and you heal them for 6,000, that other 4k health should go somewhere or else it's wasted. People have suggested it should heal up a bottle, or go to an absorb, etc, which would be nice.
Excess heals cannot be consider a real value, because the same can be said for excess damage. Perhaps a spell that can mitigate such heals into current max hp increase or even into an absorb, can some what be apply able

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
angellifeheart on Jul 24, 2020 wrote:
Excess heals cannot be consider a real value, because the same can be said for excess damage. Perhaps a spell that can mitigate such heals into current max hp increase or even into an absorb, can some what be apply able
yeah, turning the excess healign into an absorb is one thing that people suggested. Excessive damage doesnt matter because if you meet or exceed the opponents' health, they're still dead, but in places where it's a long drawn out fight, having that excess healing be usable can make a huge difference in the fight.

Defender
Jul 09, 2012
Life scion is for sure not a useful spell in the slightest and will never be used. There have been countless complaints on this spell for ever since it was released, however no changes have been added onto this. Hello back onto the forums to discuss things about the update and seemed to have found a thread that interested me because I agree. However I do remember you trying to clown me for "having no life" for buying packs and I still see you posting years later on this game. Interesting. Anyways, off topic. I agree. Life scion I have never used and will never use. I am glad they changed up wings of fate, as I use that much more often now, however life scion is a big waste of pips, and a satyr with good outgoing can literally fill someones health up.

Explorer
May 06, 2013
For life scion costing 11 pips I think it should do more than just heal one person or maybe do damage as well. Seriously how many life wizards would wait for 11 pips to cast scion when other heals costs less? Think about it if you are in a team fighting a boss in Empyrea would a good healer have time to wait for 11 pipis?

Geographer
Sep 30, 2018
Pouffy23 on Jul 26, 2020 wrote:
Life scion is for sure not a useful spell in the slightest and will never be used. There have been countless complaints on this spell for ever since it was released, however no changes have been added onto this. Hello back onto the forums to discuss things about the update and seemed to have found a thread that interested me because I agree. However I do remember you trying to clown me for "having no life" for buying packs and I still see you posting years later on this game. Interesting. Anyways, off topic. I agree. Life scion I have never used and will never use. I am glad they changed up wings of fate, as I use that much more often now, however life scion is a big waste of pips, and a satyr with good outgoing can literally fill someones health up.
Clowning? what? I think you are mistaken me for someone else brother. I don't make fun of people when it comes to their own money. I also take others opinion seriously into context and give out my own opinion in exchange. I've only been here since 2018 also and its always on and off. I am currently retired from wiz and only got back on to review test realm changes.

Geographer
Sep 30, 2018
jetlightning on Jul 26, 2020 wrote:
For life scion costing 11 pips I think it should do more than just heal one person or maybe do damage as well. Seriously how many life wizards would wait for 11 pips to cast scion when other heals costs less? Think about it if you are in a team fighting a boss in Empyrea would a good healer have time to wait for 11 pipis?
Clearly the majority who were against having a damage scion don't understand that, simply because of the status quo mindset going around pertaining to the life school. Genuinely speaking however, there are so many ways to build life but the most appreciated form is semi-tank critical healing. With 60% resist 60% critical and 72 outgoing there is no way with spells like guiding light and mend your not healing for a ton. My rebirth alone heals for 10-15k. and pigsie around 7k-8k. What more better healing do you need than that with free gears?