Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

New Minion Tactics

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Jan 07, 2013
If you're on your 2nd or 3rd wizard, chances are you never use your school minions (unless you're Myth, that is). They tend to be a waste of Pips, don't aid you exactly as you'd like, and are generally weaker when attacking. I propose that we give Minions a "share" of our damage boosts from gear.

For example, my level 78 Death has 100% Death damage boost from his gear and Pet. What if, when he summoned a minion, that minion had a fraction of my wizard's damage boost? Say, 1/3rd? So it'd have about 30% boost to Death spells.

I think this could help make minions more useful and more conducive for soloing. We could disable this feature for PVP so it wouldn't require any balancing. I think adding this gives a better sense of shared strength between our Wizard and our Minions. As it stands, any new Minion spell will likely never make it into the modern Wizard's deck.

What do you think?

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
Myth already has an advantage with minions:

1) The buff minion spells are myth and are free 9though they are a waste to use in my opinion)

2) They are the ONLY school who can have up to 3 minions fighting with them via Monstrology. While you can't control them, having 3 Monstrology monsters in the same fight, especially the solo fights, can be a HUGE difference maker.

I agree that Myth SHOULD have some advantage for their minions other than what's pointed out. I think that standard Myth minions, when summoned, should pull their stats from your stats up to a certain point. BTW, did you know Myth does NOT have the most minions in it's school that it can summon? Death does. If you exclude item and treasure cards, death has more (not counting monstrology):

Myth has 11: Golem (1), Troll (3), Cyclops (4), Minotaur (1), Talos (1), Vassanji (1)
Death has 15 minions: Animate (14), Malduit (1)

Champion
Nov 22, 2008
Shadow of the Past on Jun 10, 2020 wrote:
If you're on your 2nd or 3rd wizard, chances are you never use your school minions (unless you're Myth, that is). They tend to be a waste of Pips, don't aid you exactly as you'd like, and are generally weaker when attacking. I propose that we give Minions a "share" of our damage boosts from gear.

For example, my level 78 Death has 100% Death damage boost from his gear and Pet. What if, when he summoned a minion, that minion had a fraction of my wizard's damage boost? Say, 1/3rd? So it'd have about 30% boost to Death spells.

I think this could help make minions more useful and more conducive for soloing. We could disable this feature for PVP so it wouldn't require any balancing. I think adding this gives a better sense of shared strength between our Wizard and our Minions. As it stands, any new Minion spell will likely never make it into the modern Wizard's deck.

What do you think?
In this bit, you specifically call out your death wizard, which in my experience with death, ice, fire, and storm, has possibly the worst minion spell in the game. I will point out that fire and storm wizards regularly use their minions to solo otherwise impossible battles, especially in the earlier part of the game.

I have only gotten my ice to the later stage minion spell, but I actually find Freddo the Fish very helpful (he helped me solo several battles I was struggling with), and having seen the life one of similar quality I was quite impressed with that one.

I think, at least for PVE, minions are very useful and undervalued in many schools, as long as one is willing to stick to the schools's playstyle. Sadly death is just already very strong in PVE due to all its life stealing and so got a weak minion spell as a result.