Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

May Cast Shatter

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Nov 18, 2009
With turn-based PvP in full swing, we are now seeing players use pets with "may cast shatter" aka Ward Wrecker, since it is especially beneficial to them in turn-based PvP. Since the cast is triggered by you shielding, what happens is you shield for your turn and then their pet casts shatter. This leaves your opponent with a completely open hit next turn and you have no way to counter it. If you also have stacked traps on you (like Fires tend to do) or your opponent has 2-3 blades, then that is an instant KO. I personally think this is very bad for PvP since it is straight up relying on RNG to win a match, and that is exactly what we are trying to move away from. I don't think it is good to have aspects in PvP that we have absolutely no control over- we should win or lose based on our decisions and how we play.

Sparck, has the team considered this? Do you mind telling them about it? Thank you!!

Survivor
Dec 29, 2008
XxZexionxX on May 5, 2020 wrote:
With turn-based PvP in full swing, we are now seeing players use pets with "may cast shatter" aka Ward Wrecker, since it is especially beneficial to them in turn-based PvP. Since the cast is triggered by you shielding, what happens is you shield for your turn and then their pet casts shatter. This leaves your opponent with a completely open hit next turn and you have no way to counter it. If you also have stacked traps on you (like Fires tend to do) or your opponent has 2-3 blades, then that is an instant KO. I personally think this is very bad for PvP since it is straight up relying on RNG to win a match, and that is exactly what we are trying to move away from. I don't think it is good to have aspects in PvP that we have absolutely no control over- we should win or lose based on our decisions and how we play.

Sparck, has the team considered this? Do you mind telling them about it? Thank you!!
I agree, it's seems so unfair because the win gets handed to the person instead of their skill winning the match. Why should I get completely steam rolled over a lucky may cast? It feels like the old style of PvP where you can't even react to what just happened.

Explorer
Mar 01, 2014
Exquisite426 on May 6, 2020 wrote:
I agree, it's seems so unfair because the win gets handed to the person instead of their skill winning the match. Why should I get completely steam rolled over a lucky may cast? It feels like the old style of PvP where you can't even react to what just happened.
it's not unfair it's a may cast, seriously? do you know how hard it is to get may cast shatter on a perfect pet? it took forever for people to get that kind of pet made. not to mention its MAY CAST the simple counter is DO NOT SHIELD SPAM. Shield spam = shatter punish. If you're stacking enough shields for the pet to MAY CAST shatter then you shouldn't be shielding that much.

Explorer
Mar 01, 2014

Don't bring sparck into this. Shatter is perfectly balanced as a may cast and everyone can get it now. and this is wizard101 its a CARD GAME the whole point of the game is rng reluctant. The only time Shatter casts is when you're shielding way too much anyway.

counter: myth dispel, dont spam shields, the same could be said about enfeeble.

just because you shield doesn't mean shatter even casts there's multiple matches where the pet never casts anything at all.

Mastermind
Mar 19, 2011

Isn't that what Aegis if for?

Survivor
Nov 18, 2009
xTsuin on May 8, 2020 wrote:
Don't bring sparck into this. Shatter is perfectly balanced as a may cast and everyone can get it now. and this is wizard101 its a CARD GAME the whole point of the game is rng reluctant. The only time Shatter casts is when you're shielding way too much anyway.

just because you shield doesn't mean shatter even casts there's multiple matches where the pet never casts anything at all.
Okay but that isn't how may cast shatter works. It's not like there is a threshold of how many times you shield before it casts. It can't be like "oh wow this person used this many shields so now I should cast since they are a spammer." If you have stacked traps on you or your opponent has stacked blades, you shield one time and it could cast shatter at the end of your turn. It gives you no chance to defend yourself from being one-shot killed. You are fine with being on the receiving end of that?

Obviously it doesn't cast every match, but when it does you could lose simply because of one overpowered pet talent that you have no control over. I do not think a PvP match should be decided based on the chance of one pet talent casting, and I'm not sure why anybody would feel that way... unless they are the ones who are greatly benefiting from that talent.

Survivor
Dec 29, 2008
xTsuin on May 8, 2020 wrote:

How is anyone suppose to know if their opponent has may cast shatter? Would you have to assume everyone has may cast shatter and myth dispel them. Why would I need to carry a dispel for one single may cast? If I need to dispel a may cast that already shows how severely broken it is. You're right it's a TURN BASED CARD GAME, but you can't react to a may cast shatter, which is why it's unfair and flawed lol

Explorer
Mar 01, 2014
XxZexionxX on May 11, 2020 wrote:
Okay but that isn't how may cast shatter works. It's not like there is a threshold of how many times you shield before it casts. It can't be like "oh wow this person used this many shields so now I should cast since they are a spammer." If you have stacked traps on you or your opponent has stacked blades, you shield one time and it could cast shatter at the end of your turn. It gives you no chance to defend yourself from being one-shot killed. You are fine with being on the receiving end of that?

Obviously it doesn't cast every match, but when it does you could lose simply because of one overpowered pet talent that you have no control over. I do not think a PvP match should be decided based on the chance of one pet talent casting, and I'm not sure why anybody would feel that way... unless they are the ones who are greatly benefiting from that talent.
Aegis~

Explorer
Mar 01, 2014
Exquisite426 on May 11, 2020 wrote:
How is anyone suppose to know if their opponent has may cast shatter? Would you have to assume everyone has may cast shatter and myth dispel them. Why would I need to carry a dispel for one single may cast? If I need to dispel a may cast that already shows how severely broken it is. You're right it's a TURN BASED CARD GAME, but you can't react to a may cast shatter, which is why it's unfair and flawed lol
it's balanced due to the hard work and effort someone had to go through to get it on a pet and like i said its MAY cast its not even confirmed to do it in every match.

Survivor
Nov 18, 2009
xTsuin on May 13, 2020 wrote:
it's balanced due to the hard work and effort someone had to go through to get it on a pet and like i said its MAY cast its not even confirmed to do it in every match.
Balance has nothing to do with how hard you had to work for to get something. Balance is about fairness and having an even playing field. Would you be okay with somebody having may cast Efreet if it was difficult to get on a pet? Making any combination of pet talents is time consuming and partly luck-based. From your posts it sounds like you have made a pet with may cast shatter and don't want it taken away from you.

The whole point as to why may cast shatter is broken is the fact that you cannot react to it and it can get you killed. It doesn’t matter that it doesn’t cast every match- if it cast every match that would be even more broken. Other may casts like may cast enfeeble won't get you killed. You can react to may cast auras and they have a drawback too: they're a risk to have because they can be popped by a balance opponent. The list goes on.

Why should someone lose or take a massive amount of damage in turn based PvP solely because your opponent's pet cast may cast shatter. We are trying to move PvP in a direction away from a focus on RNG.

Luckily we do have Aegis to counter may cast shatter, but from my experience it has not been a sufficient counter since Aegis showing up in your hand alongside the correct shield you want is also luck-based. Additionally, treasure card shields cannot be enchanted with Aegis, and those are the ones we go for when our hand didn’t give us a shield that turn and we really need one.

Survivor
Jan 14, 2012
You need to consider the fact that it is a genuine stat. There is nothing unfair about it. You are sacrificing other stats (I got shatter on a pet fail, wanted spell proof, sure it could have shatter but I sacrifice 10% resist if I wanted to keep it). If you think relying on RNG is unfair that means you need to get rid of critical rating entirely, take out accuracy and mantles, entirely, and get rid of anything else that isn't completely constant. There are also counters to it. Aegis, not shield spamming, and being more offensive. Pros and cons to everything and if you can't beat it, change up your play style, or why don't you just get one that does it as well.

Geographer
Sep 30, 2018
XxZexionxX on May 15, 2020 wrote:
Balance has nothing to do with how hard you had to work for to get something. Balance is about fairness and having an even playing field. Would you be okay with somebody having may cast Efreet if it was difficult to get on a pet? Making any combination of pet talents is time consuming and partly luck-based. From your posts it sounds like you have made a pet with may cast shatter and don't want it taken away from you.

The whole point as to why may cast shatter is broken is the fact that you cannot react to it and it can get you killed. It doesn’t matter that it doesn’t cast every match- if it cast every match that would be even more broken. Other may casts like may cast enfeeble won't get you killed. You can react to may cast auras and they have a drawback too: they're a risk to have because they can be popped by a balance opponent. The list goes on.

Why should someone lose or take a massive amount of damage in turn based PvP solely because your opponent's pet cast may cast shatter. We are trying to move PvP in a direction away from a focus on RNG.

Luckily we do have Aegis to counter may cast shatter, but from my experience it has not been a sufficient counter since Aegis showing up in your hand alongside the correct shield you want is also luck-based. Additionally, treasure card shields cannot be enchanted with Aegis, and those are the ones we go for when our hand didn’t give us a shield that turn and we really need one.
The game in itself from pvp to pve has always been filled with rng. There is not a single mmorpg game that doesn't have some sort of element of rng, and while not always regard to fairness it creates an atmosphere of surprises.
I think for the removal of one may-cast would have to apply to all may-cast to justify its role. As you mentioned before aegis can counter may cast shatter, but the only downside to that is, it stacks up on deck builds which reduces the effectiveness of having key spells in order to survive or win the match.

However, the same can be said for the person who sacrifices other talents for what basically seems a less than 50% cast rate. I been through entire matches without pets may-casting anything, and its a risk some are willing to go for. Its only when the pet triggers frequent may-cast that for some reason creates a dynamic issue. Enfeeble make cast can stall out matches and also potentially cost games for the player its affecting. In fact I have a pet with mc shatter,enfeeble,proof, dealer, giver and mc brace defy for life. Some call it the ultimate battle pet and trust me for what its worth it helps with life pvp a lot. Best of luck with future matches!

Explorer
Mar 01, 2014
XxZexionxX on May 15, 2020 wrote:

it does, same goes for crafting a spell or gear. if something is hard to craft because it is difficult it doesn't mean someone didn't earn it. if everyone is trying to craft it just proves how good it is but not everyone will be able to craft it just like not everyone will be able to have a perfect may cast shatter pet, and i have one back when it had came out but you're right why would I want it taken away? that's stupid lol. I don't even use it and now I can't use it? even though I took the time to make it? that seems pretty dumb.

and because they worked hard to make that pet dude seriously? you gonna complain about lore master having no counter but it was still hard to craft! i still have people come up and ask if they have lore master tc. if you can't beat them join them and get one. and if you want a counter for it ask for tc aegis and tc indemnity dont complain about mc shatter to have it banned or something, thats the whole point of may casts coming out of course theyre good thats why you should be getting them. what about maycast fair sprite unicorn healing current? what about all them? you can't counter or do anything about them but no one complained because they were earned and people got it them selves.

yes something hard earned has to do with balance dude look at dragoon gear.