Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Upcoming Mac OS 10.15 Catalina Update

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Feb 14, 2020
Hello, I have just bought a membership because it was 50% off so I said eh why not. Can you please release the update SOON before this membership ends It's been too long

Survivor
Jul 02, 2015
When you say close, how close? It would be nice to have a date, because I had to borrow a laptop from a friend just to be able to play

Survivor
Apr 26, 2017
Sparck on Mar 10, 2020 wrote:
If you can uninstall Catalina for the meantime, you'll be able to play the game. It may not be worth it though, as we're close to being able to finally release a compatible build.
The terms “close” and “soon” have been used very loosely for the past few months... Could y’all at least provide an educated guess or update as to where y’all are now and about how much longer it is estimated to take? I’ve been checking periodically since December in hopes that something would have been implemented by now...

Survivor
Sep 17, 2011
Can we get detailed schedule for this upcoming update?

Survivor
Jan 01, 2020
It would be really nice to have the update soon now that some of us have an abundance of time to play because of lockdowns, cancellations, and whatnot.

A timeline to release would be much appreciated.

Survivor
Jun 26, 2012
With the recent corona virus, I would like to play wizard101 in my time. But, we have no idea where this update is at. Can we at least have a week? Will it even be out by the end of the month?

Survivor
Mar 31, 2019
How long would this take? I've seen the words 'close' and 'soon' for months now

Administrator
The difference with a few weeks ago and this week is that our partners have mainly one remaining problem to resolve before we can release the update to the public. After we test that fix of course.

Survivor
Oct 26, 2017
I just paid for a month of Wizard101 and have stumbled upon this forum. I can I go about to receiving a full refund until you actually come up with an update that's taken MONTHS? Thank you.

Survivor
Feb 27, 2009
Am also concerned about a update for macOS Catalina. For those not
super good with technology, since the update for macOS Catalina (10.15)
came out 32-bit has been disabled on Mac computers. Please come out with an update soon!

Survivor
Feb 01, 2009
Spark can you give us an estimated date??? We have been waiting for months upon months for this update and we have constantly been told "soon" and "close" as if that is supposed to provide us with hope that it actually will come out soon when in reality it has been close to 6 months that we have been waiting for this. Some sort of compensation should be in your guys' mind as well for us mac players, as many of us have memberships we are paying real money for and we are not even able to take advantage of them. It feels as if you guys are all screwing us out of our money at this point... A response would be great as you have many fans 'social distancing' at home right now because of the recent virus, but are not able to play because you all have not released an update yet. More information on the update would be great as I said before it has been almost 6 months now, and we have not even been told once when the update has a possibility of coming out.

Thanks.

Survivor
Mar 17, 2020
is there any news on the Catalina update? I saw that you guys only had 1 more problem to test before releasing it and was wondering if we could also get a estimated date for the release.

Survivor
Nov 24, 2010
nate14141 on Feb 3, 2020 wrote:
another solution is using a software called VirtualBox. You can then create a VirtualMachine commonly known as a vm in the computer science field and run wizard101 from their on your Mac feel free to reply to this if you have questions setting it up
Hi,
I am trying to figure out how to do this but as I am not in the computer science field I know nothing about it. Please help! Thanks.

Administrator
Apologies about the continued delay, we're still waiting for our partner to resolve the remaining issue.

Meanwhile, if you can revert from using macOS Catalina to an earlier OS, you should be able to play the game fine. That's obviously not an ideal solution, but it's the only way to play for the moment.

We'll keep you all updated as soon as we have word on a resolution coming!

Survivor
Dec 23, 2011
An estimated date would be helpful... is this a few days, weeks, or month eta?

Survivor
Dec 22, 2008
Like others, I just returned to the game after a long hiatus. When I was last playing, Wizard101's Mac version was based on CrossOver, a program for Mac that runs Windows applications. Is Wizard101's Mac version still based on CrossOver?

I'm just trying to understand the delay, which doesn't make much sense to me if Wizard101 is still using CrossOver for its Mac application--CrossOver updated to support Catalina in December. I've played Wizard101 on Catalina using Crossover and it works as well as the official Mac version ever has. So, if Wizard101 is still using CrossOver, the Mac version is probably in a playable state (since I have played the CrossOver version and there were no game-breaking issues)--so why not release the playable version now, continue working to fix the issue, and then update the Mac version with the fix later?

Survivor
Jun 23, 2011
the Catalina update is probably going to conveniently come out the same time as the April 2020 update

Survivor
Aug 23, 2011
Kestrel MoonWhispe... on Mar 21, 2020 wrote:
Like others, I just returned to the game after a long hiatus. When I was last playing, Wizard101's Mac version was based on CrossOver, a program for Mac that runs Windows applications. Is Wizard101's Mac version still based on CrossOver?

I'm just trying to understand the delay, which doesn't make much sense to me if Wizard101 is still using CrossOver for its Mac application--CrossOver updated to support Catalina in December. I've played Wizard101 on Catalina using Crossover and it works as well as the official Mac version ever has. So, if Wizard101 is still using CrossOver, the Mac version is probably in a playable state (since I have played the CrossOver version and there were no game-breaking issues)--so why not release the playable version now, continue working to fix the issue, and then update the Mac version with the fix later?
If you read the post from the beginning the problem is that wizard101 is 32 bit but the latest update on Mac has updated to 64 bit. Wiz is behind although Mac made this announcement an applaudable amount of time before the move.

Survivor
Dec 22, 2008
To clarify my previous post with what little I know about Wizard101's mac version and the Catalina issue:

Years ago, when I was last an active w101 player, the game's Mac support used CrossOver, an application that allows Windows applications to be run on Mac. Wizard101 for Mac was just CrossOver by a different name. Following the release of Catalina, CrossOver also had problems updating its application to 64-bit, but it did so on December 10 2019, which means anyone who goes to CrossOver's website and downloads the 2-week free trial (or pays $40 to purchase the software) can play Wizard101 on Catalina right now. I played this version for a couple of weeks in February and it worked fine.

I think anyone who is frustrated with the time it's taking KingsIsle to update Wizard101 from 32 to 64 bit should instead take their complaint up with Apple, whose decision to discontinue support for 32-bit applications on Mac was questionable at best. The decision broke not just Wizard101, but virtually all games or applications released in or before the early 2010s. Converting a game (or any piece of software) from 32 to 64 bit is a monumental task, and it's admirable that KingsIsle is going to update its Mac version at all when many games from Wizard101's era have simply dropped their Mac support. To a certain extent, ensuring compatibility is going to take as long as it takes, and the complaint should instead be with Apple for placing such a huge task at the feet of developers. That it has taken months to update the Mac version is outside of KingsIsle's control.

So, a delay is understandable––my question is if anyone knows more than I do about whether Wizard101 has stopped using CrossOver, either after the Catalina update or during the years I wasn't playing. If Wizard101 is still using CrossOver (which you can use to play Wizard101 on Catalina right now), I'm confused by the continued delay. When CrossOver announced Catalina compatibility in December, I was certain an update to Wizard101 for Mac would be forthcoming, because CrossOver has Wizard101 working on Catalina with no game-breaking problems. The game doesn't perform as well as the Windows version, but that has always been true of Wizard101's Mac version––it's slower, but it works fine.

It's possible that KingsIsle won't want to comment directly on which partner is making its updated Mac version, for a myriad of reasons. I'm sure they want to release the Mac version as soon as possible because of the revenue they're losing from Mac players, some of whom probably won't return to the game for some time (if at all) because of the delay. I imagine whatever remaining issue prevents them from releasing it must be game-breaking, which leads me to believe they may no longer be using CrossOver, because CrossOver has no such game-breaking issue on Mac (or perhaps it has one that I didn't encounter).

Hopefully this information gives more context to the delay. In my previous post I insinuated that KingsIsle might be sitting on a playable Mac version, but now that I've laid all this out I don't think that's likely. I've been following this for several months now, and I'm sick of having to close everything I'm working on and boot to Windows every time I want to play w101. Speculating why the update is still delayed is a pointless exercise, but I inevitably do it every time I want to play but can't.

To those who are waiting to play on Catalina, the only free long-term solution is to dual-boot your Mac, but by far the best solution is to just download CrossOver. Hopefully the two-week free trial will last until KingsIsle releases its updated Mac version. Unfortunately, I used my trial up in February so I've got to either fork out $40 for CrossOver or wait.

Survivor
Dec 20, 2013
I posted a reply yesterday, and I notice it still has not appeared. I broke no rules in the comment, so why hasn't it been posted yet?

Administrator
2Chihuahuas on Mar 25, 2020 wrote:
I posted a reply yesterday, and I notice it still has not appeared. I broke no rules in the comment, so why hasn't it been posted yet?
It could still be in review. We saw this post which was just approved, but unfortunately we don't see any others in the queue for this forum section.

Could you have posted it in another section perhaps?

Survivor
Dec 20, 2013
OK, I'll try to reconstruct my lost post.

Basically, I was agreeing with @mice31:

...it has been close to 6 months that we have been waiting for this. Some sort of compensation should be in your guys'

mind as well for us mac players, as many of us have memberships we are paying real money for and we are not even
able to take advantage of them. It feels as if you guys are all screwing us out of our money at this point.."

I disagree that Apple is to blame for this situation, as they began notifying everyone 2 years in advance of the need to switch all apps to 64-bit. Reverting back to an earlier OS version is a major undertaking, and it's not even possible after a certain amount of time has passed, not to mention the loss of functionality of the apps that have upgraded to 64-bit.

I really think that the only equitable solution to this situation is for KI to do what all other paid service providers (your phone co, your ISP, etc) do when there is an outage, and that is to provide their customers with a credit for the amount of time that they have had a paid membership but were unable to play.

Survivor
Jan 04, 2013
To the administrator, when do you think is the latest that the 64-bit will upgrade?
please answer as soon as possible

Survivor
Feb 14, 2020
Kestrel MoonWhispe... on Mar 24, 2020 wrote:
To clarify my previous post with what little I know about Wizard101's mac version and the Catalina issue:

Years ago, when I was last an active w101 player, the game's Mac support used CrossOver, an application that allows Windows applications to be run on Mac. Wizard101 for Mac was just CrossOver by a different name. Following the release of Catalina, CrossOver also had problems updating its application to 64-bit, but it did so on December 10 2019, which means anyone who goes to CrossOver's website and downloads the 2-week free trial (or pays $40 to purchase the software) can play Wizard101 on Catalina right now. I played this version for a couple of weeks in February and it worked fine.

I think anyone who is frustrated with the time it's taking KingsIsle to update Wizard101 from 32 to 64 bit should instead take their complaint up with Apple, whose decision to discontinue support for 32-bit applications on Mac was questionable at best. The decision broke not just Wizard101, but virtually all games or applications released in or before the early 2010s. Converting a game (or any piece of software) from 32 to 64 bit is a monumental task, and it's admirable that KingsIsle is going to update its Mac version at all when many games from Wizard101's era have simply dropped their Mac support. To a certain extent, ensuring compatibility is going to take as long as it takes, and the complaint should instead be with Apple for placing such a huge task at the feet of developers. That it has taken months to update the Mac version is outside of KingsIsle's control.

So, a delay is understandable––my question is if anyone knows more than I do about whether Wizard101 has stopped using CrossOver, either after the Catalina update or during the years I wasn't playing. If Wizard101 is still using CrossOver (which you can use to play Wizard101 on Catalina right now), I'm confused by the continued delay. When CrossOver announced Catalina compatibility in December, I was certain an update to Wizard101 for Mac would be forthcoming, because CrossOver has Wizard101 working on Catalina with no game-breaking problems. The game doesn't perform as well as the Windows version, but that has always been true of Wizard101's Mac version––it's slower, but it works fine.

It's possible that KingsIsle won't want to comment directly on which partner is making its updated Mac version, for a myriad of reasons. I'm sure they want to release the Mac version as soon as possible because of the revenue they're losing from Mac players, some of whom probably won't return to the game for some time (if at all) because of the delay. I imagine whatever remaining issue prevents them from releasing it must be game-breaking, which leads me to believe they may no longer be using CrossOver, because CrossOver has no such game-breaking issue on Mac (or perhaps it has one that I didn't encounter).

Hopefully this information gives more context to the delay. In my previous post I insinuated that KingsIsle might be sitting on a playable Mac version, but now that I've laid all this out I don't think that's likely. I've been following this for several months now, and I'm sick of having to close everything I'm working on and boot to Windows every time I want to play w101. Speculating why the update is still delayed is a pointless exercise, but I inevitably do it every time I want to play but can't.

To those who are waiting to play on Catalina, the only free long-term solution is to dual-boot your Mac, but by far the best solution is to just download CrossOver. Hopefully the two-week free trial will last until KingsIsle releases its updated Mac version. Unfortunately, I used my trial up in February so I've got to either fork out $40 for CrossOver or wait.
I purchased a membership because it was 50% off and it expires on April 15th, by the looks of it I doubt there'll be an update before time runs out. Can you please tell me where and how I can download this CrossOver so I can finally play and get something out of my membership.

Survivor
Jun 23, 2011
2Chihuahuas on Mar 26, 2020 wrote:
OK, I'll try to reconstruct my lost post.

Basically, I was agreeing with @mice31:

...it has been close to 6 months that we have been waiting for this. Some sort of compensation should be in your guys'

mind as well for us mac players, as many of us have memberships we are paying real money for and we are not even
able to take advantage of them. It feels as if you guys are all screwing us out of our money at this point.."

I disagree that Apple is to blame for this situation, as they began notifying everyone 2 years in advance of the need to switch all apps to 64-bit. Reverting back to an earlier OS version is a major undertaking, and it's not even possible after a certain amount of time has passed, not to mention the loss of functionality of the apps that have upgraded to 64-bit.

I really think that the only equitable solution to this situation is for KI to do what all other paid service providers (your phone co, your ISP, etc) do when there is an outage, and that is to provide their customers with a credit for the amount of time that they have had a paid membership but were unable to play.
I totally agree with this post and I think it was very well said. I tried to say something similar and it was also not posted. A credit should be provided for the players who were unable to play, and it is certainly not easy to just switch back to an earlier Mac OS version. We really do need answers soon, not just about when the new update for w101 will be out, but what KingsIsle is going to do about it regarding the circumstances.