Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Death Buff Proposal I Found on Reddit

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Oct 30, 2012

Just wondering what you guys think about this. Added my own 2cents in red.

-Make enchants give the full bonus on drain spells. Drains are just too weak at the moment for anything besides Lulu to really do anything
-Change Lord of Night to a normal hit instead of a drain and make it place a lifebane on its target instead of that infection. This spell is absolutely useless at the moment due to its low damage and horrible effect. If we need a drain for that pip range vampire already exists. This change is to help death against life without being able to shut them down entirely.
-Change Doom and Gloom to be -50% healing as well as +25% damage to drain spells only. Unlike sanctuary for life, which can actually help them, Doom does nothing to assist the caster and at most hurts both players in the long run. Making it only buff drains would help death with the problem of getting basically no health back when they drain without letting something like a Qismah's Fury destroy you with its high damage.
-Change King Artorius to place a curse on its target instead of that silly infection. The death King Art is literally the worst of them all at this moment and really just doesn't leave death with no real use for it. This change would help deaths set up combo moves easier. (Instead of the infection I'd personally prefer a more unique trap like +30% health back on next drain, wouldnt damage them more but it'd act as a healing bonus, which could potentially really be worth it if they re-worked doom as well)
-Make self-harm spells like Bad Juju and Empower deal backlash damage instead of death damage. Lets be honest, every other school uses these spells better than death can because of the damage, and the fact that it uses up blades and shields from the caster. Changing it to act like backlash would mean Deaths can actually use these spells without crippling themselves, or using all their blades and shields up just to throw out a juju, or heal an ally with sacrifice (which already does about as much as it heals at max). Changing it to deal backlash damage would also make PvP much more difficult for the dreaded Jade Juju Spammers. Offensive Deaths would be able to actually use these spells effectively, while Juju spammers would find that they need to heal themselves a lot more often than they used to, due to Juju cutting straight through their resist to deal the 300 damage, thus making them easier to defeat.
-Change Animate to a 3 pip minion. This one is pretty obvious, since Animate is just plain useless and doesn't even match up with death at all. Why does a school that leeches off of enemies, designed to stay alive all on its own, need such a high costing minion? Change it to a 3 pip minion and deaths can actually use it.
-Add the new X pip spell, called "Jinx". With animate no longer being an X pip spell, a new one that fits better with death will be needed. I recommend a spell i call "Jinx". This spell will basically be a universal version of Backdraft, except it gives 10% per pip rather than the 15% Backdraft gives. I feel that this would fit in a bit better with death, being a school with a decent amount of universal buffs. This would give a death more use in a team when fighting tougher bosses, such as Omen and Malistaire the Undying. suitability in pve and pvp. Esp vs lore spam, rampage, etc).
-This one isn't as needed as the others, but change sacrifice so that a critical just doubles the heal, but not the damage. A critical sacrifice is pretty useless, as all it really means is that you saved a round one casting a second sacrifice. Satyr and Availing do double healing with criticals and have no penalty, unlike sacrifice. Sacrifice also does less healing in total than both Satyr and Availing, despite have a penalty while the others do not. (also kiss of death trainable when ;--;)
-Raise the average health of death to the same as a balance. Despite having nearly identical stats all the way up to exalted, balance passed death in the health department after that for no real reason. This would be to give death a bit more wiggle room in matches, and just in general. At the moment, the average death only has a few hundred more health than the average fire, while balance and life tower above in health and myth has more damage with the same health.
-Change Bone Dragon to leave a curse behind after the final tick ends. At this moment, the myth King Artorius has more damage than Bone Dragon as well as give the caster a spear AND piercing an additional shield on the victim, while Bone Dragon does nothing. The myth King Art also focuses more damage towards the back of the hit, meaning basically no damage is wasted breaking a shield while 1/5 of the Bone Dragon is wasted on the initial shield. (itd also be dope if last tick counted as a drain)
-Slight damage buff to Winged Sorrow. Make it deal 1050-1230 rather than 850-1030. I mean really, Qismah does more on average than Sorrow despite costing 2 pips less to cast. This would actually give death a decent shadow hit, as Lulu does only 830 and Qismah doesn't have a side effect to it.

Geographer
Sep 30, 2018
Hi there Angel "life" Heart here, now i know you might think that am gonna come off bias here, but i just want you to know despite all the negative aspects of the school it is by far my most favorite school as well as and following close by.

Now lets study up on some key points you've mention about death weakness and why the school is suffering right now. First thing first, death drain spells are in fact weak per say. There are also too many spells that cripple death such as sacrifice, dark pact, and even the nerf juju that i must add the new effect is a bit too harsh specifically on offensive strategies. K I needs to consider the fact that offensive death wizards have pierce and by having such pierce the damage done to self is over the stated amount on the spells. I think the best fixed to this is do remove the pierce inflicted from these spells and keep it the neutral damage without being boosted by damage. One thing that makes a death unique is the abilty to give up some health for extra power, dark patch giving universal blade, and empower that gives 3 extra pips.
Sacrifice needs a rework- am not sure exactly how but maybe change it into a shield instead like health for shield?

Moving on to the other ideas in designs, as a life main i believe most of your ideas impacts life a great deal esp that -50% bubble with 25% damage. I think you should only have one, as i have pleaded also for life to get a 25% damage bubble worth 2 pips. However i believe to fix drain issue is that to not make death to overpowered i suggest making the bubble give 100% on drain and 25% damage increase on spells. Death can become a lil tanks stacking resist nearly at 60% yes sounds crazy but its achievable also death health isn't that low and no it cant be like balance because life is underneath balance in health that the purpose of life having more health due to weak damage.

Now i notice between the 3 schools whether its elemental or spirit there is always that 1 school thats actually better of the 3 were as fire is best elemental and Myth being the best spirit damage wise. A life bane or any kind of dispel on a spell that does damage is too broken, so that's a no no for me on the lord of night. If you want to dispel towards other school u gotta sacrifice the initial pips to stop their game plan instead of getting one for free of a spell that does damage because death bane puts a dispel on life and that shuts down their game plan. I think a trap or perhaps a death fuel would be much better balance imo.

Don't forget death just got one of the most strongest 4 pip spells in the game the headless horseman which deals 530-590 damage equivalent to a 5 pip spell that's more damage than goat monk and sacred charge which may i remind you goat monk doesn't even have an effect and that's why it doesn't get an effect. I believe king arts effect is a bit under powered as well and needs a better effect. Where as instead of offering a -50% off heal it should give a +50% and +10% pierce on next drain damage spell instead of 30%. when i look at bad juju and then i look at efreet i think wow k i done really lost their mind giving fire such a huge power spike and i think that should be completely removed from efreet. as for bad juju 25% of health is too much of a hard punishment but their needs to be a way to limit jades from abusing this spell so ill let u come up with an idea for that. You haven't stated exactly in what amount would cost in health per say but its has to be in a way that neutralize jade death from exploiting the spell as we all know that can be annoying. Oh and i understand what u meant now by backlashes instead of using up the blades and shields we have etc make it like the shadow backlashes effect just less damage am i right? ok

As for the death minion yes i do agree that's its plain useless, so i suggest that to be rework into something much better and grant minion immunity for said amount turns being that its death. Where as it stays at 1 hp. at the cost of 4 pips or if the minion was to be targeted by a spell it would sacrifice it self and place either a blade or shield on you? i dunno lol just a lot of ideas popping in my head when were talking about death.

Remember initially death isn't a healing class but a surviving class off drain spells and damage buffs. The jinx spell is a meh spells and spend x amount of pips on a trap is pretty useless when u already have spells like feint etc that can now be protected thanks to aegis and indemnity. Kiss of death is ironically a dumb spell and maximum damage should be 400 to self and 700 to all allies including self no resist. Again death isnt a healing class and id hate to see this be exploited in 4v4 matches specifically as jades.

I think bone dragon is fine where its is because life doesn't even get a dot like death and myth for 8 pips. Myth King is op but that's myth and its suppose to be better than life and death in damage for lack of surviving utility.

Winged sorrow is ironically weak but Wings of Fate is by far the worst of the 6 pip shadow enhance spells suffering at 525 base damage 850-1030 damage is more sufficient on a spell that gives a -30% weakness with that being said on the new change on the damage bubble this would make even more of a huge impact as well as synergy. lulu does 830 damage towards 4 enemies that's 830x4 for a maximum of 3320 damage in a 4 man battle setting that's way more than enough, are you trying to be like storm or fire now lol? mystic does 880 damage xD and u don't see myth complaining. But yea that's just my honest opinion on the situation with death.

Defender
May 23, 2009
angellifeheart on Jun 5, 2019 wrote:
Hi there Angel "life" Heart here, now i know you might think that am gonna come off bias here, but i just want you to know despite all the negative aspects of the school it is by far my most favorite school as well as and following close by.

Now lets study up on some key points you've mention about death weakness and why the school is suffering right now. First thing first, death drain spells are in fact weak per say. There are also too many spells that cripple death such as sacrifice, dark pact, and even the nerf juju that i must add the new effect is a bit too harsh specifically on offensive strategies. K I needs to consider the fact that offensive death wizards have pierce and by having such pierce the damage done to self is over the stated amount on the spells. I think the best fixed to this is do remove the pierce inflicted from these spells and keep it the neutral damage without being boosted by damage. One thing that makes a death unique is the abilty to give up some health for extra power, dark patch giving universal blade, and empower that gives 3 extra pips.
Sacrifice needs a rework- am not sure exactly how but maybe change it into a shield instead like health for shield?

Moving on to the other ideas in designs, as a life main i believe most of your ideas impacts life a great deal esp that -50% bubble with 25% damage. I think you should only have one, as i have pleaded also for life to get a 25% damage bubble worth 2 pips. However i believe to fix drain issue is that to not make death to overpowered i suggest making the bubble give 100% on drain and 25% damage increase on spells. Death can become a lil tanks stacking resist nearly at 60% yes sounds crazy but its achievable also death health isn't that low and no it cant be like balance because life is underneath balance in health that the purpose of life having more health due to weak damage.

Now i notice between the 3 schools whether its elemental or spirit there is always that 1 school thats actually better of the 3 were as fire is best elemental and Myth being the best spirit damage wise. A life bane or any kind of dispel on a spell that does damage is too broken, so that's a no no for me on the lord of night. If you want to dispel towards other school u gotta sacrifice the initial pips to stop their game plan instead of getting one for free of a spell that does damage because death bane puts a dispel on life and that shuts down their game plan. I think a trap or perhaps a death fuel would be much better balance imo.

Don't forget death just got one of the most strongest 4 pip spells in the game the headless horseman which deals 530-590 damage equivalent to a 5 pip spell that's more damage than goat monk and sacred charge which may i remind you goat monk doesn't even have an effect and that's why it doesn't get an effect. I believe king arts effect is a bit under powered as well and needs a better effect. Where as instead of offering a -50% off heal it should give a +50% and +10% pierce on next drain damage spell instead of 30%. when i look at bad juju and then i look at efreet i think wow k i done really lost their mind giving fire such a huge power spike and i think that should be completely removed from efreet. as for bad juju 25% of health is too much of a hard punishment but their needs to be a way to limit jades from abusing this spell so ill let u come up with an idea for that. You haven't stated exactly in what amount would cost in health per say but its has to be in a way that neutralize jade death from exploiting the spell as we all know that can be annoying. Oh and i understand what u meant now by backlashes instead of using up the blades and shields we have etc make it like the shadow backlashes effect just less damage am i right? ok

As for the death minion yes i do agree that's its plain useless, so i suggest that to be rework into something much better and grant minion immunity for said amount turns being that its death. Where as it stays at 1 hp. at the cost of 4 pips or if the minion was to be targeted by a spell it would sacrifice it self and place either a blade or shield on you? i dunno lol just a lot of ideas popping in my head when were talking about death.

Remember initially death isn't a healing class but a surviving class off drain spells and damage buffs. The jinx spell is a meh spells and spend x amount of pips on a trap is pretty useless when u already have spells like feint etc that can now be protected thanks to aegis and indemnity. Kiss of death is ironically a dumb spell and maximum damage should be 400 to self and 700 to all allies including self no resist. Again death isnt a healing class and id hate to see this be exploited in 4v4 matches specifically as jades.

I think bone dragon is fine where its is because life doesn't even get a dot like death and myth for 8 pips. Myth King is op but that's myth and its suppose to be better than life and death in damage for lack of surviving utility.

Winged sorrow is ironically weak but Wings of Fate is by far the worst of the 6 pip shadow enhance spells suffering at 525 base damage 850-1030 damage is more sufficient on a spell that gives a -30% weakness with that being said on the new change on the damage bubble this would make even more of a huge impact as well as synergy. lulu does 830 damage towards 4 enemies that's 830x4 for a maximum of 3320 damage in a 4 man battle setting that's way more than enough, are you trying to be like storm or fire now lol? mystic does 880 damage xD and u don't see myth complaining. But yea that's just my honest opinion on the situation with death.
"Death can become a lil tanks stacking resist nearly at 60% yes sounds crazy but its achievable."

Having a max level death wiz myself, thanks for compliment to my death wiz. Is not crazy at all. She has 60 % resist for pve. I sacrificed some damage (cause we have feint) and pierce for resist and block. Her critical is at 80%. My death wiz is awesome and can both reliably tank and be the hitter. I don't rely on pierce, so she can use those self damaging spells (juju, sacrifice, dark pact. etc) when tanking. (Remember we have shrike, flawless, age of reckoning etc). You made a lot of good points, but I feel these issues are more profounded in PVP. Unfortunately, what works in this game in PVE doesn't work in PVP.
@OP My 2 cents :

1. Drain spells aren't weak at all. My death wiz has solo all of empyrea except for two fights: the beastman fight club and storm titan.

2. Lord of night was my go to spell in Azteca and Khrysalis before Darkmoor. So the spell is not completely useless.

3. Doom and gloom is meh. For me, is something that doesn't need to be changed but isn't the best either. I don't use a healing pet on death. I don't find it necessary.

4. See my comment above about armor piercing on death.

Hero
Aug 18, 2011
Drains are very effective as they are, and enchantments work logically, since you are getting an attack and a heal with the same cast. It's not meaningful to compare them to straight damage spells.

Geographer
Sep 30, 2018
TPG Miserie on Jun 6, 2019 wrote:
"Death can become a lil tanks stacking resist nearly at 60% yes sounds crazy but its achievable."

Having a max level death wiz myself, thanks for compliment to my death wiz. Is not crazy at all. She has 60 % resist for pve. I sacrificed some damage (cause we have feint) and pierce for resist and block. Her critical is at 80%. My death wiz is awesome and can both reliably tank and be the hitter. I don't rely on pierce, so she can use those self damaging spells (juju, sacrifice, dark pact. etc) when tanking. (Remember we have shrike, flawless, age of reckoning etc). You made a lot of good points, but I feel these issues are more profounded in PVP. Unfortunately, what works in this game in PVE doesn't work in PVP.
@OP My 2 cents :

1. Drain spells aren't weak at all. My death wiz has solo all of empyrea except for two fights: the beastman fight club and storm titan.

2. Lord of night was my go to spell in Azteca and Khrysalis before Darkmoor. So the spell is not completely useless.

3. Doom and gloom is meh. For me, is something that doesn't need to be changed but isn't the best either. I don't use a healing pet on death. I don't find it necessary.

4. See my comment above about armor piercing on death.
He was being more on the specific side of pvp

Geographer
Sep 30, 2018
Prince of Shadows on Jun 6, 2019 wrote:
Drains are very effective as they are, and enchantments work logically, since you are getting an attack and a heal with the same cast. It's not meaningful to compare them to straight damage spells.
Ill have to disagree with that! Drains are not effective due to most being low damage. True in one instance you can't compare them to straight up damage spells, but most straight up damage spells comes with secondary effects via weakness to shield etc. In other words in competitive play death struggles to keep up with the off meta damage coverage for weakness that imposes a threat without any useful utilities, which may i remind you, juju got one heck of a nerf that literally makes it so useless that your better off using virulence plague in a 1v1 setting. When you compare that to spell such as efreet and lore master which both doing damage and having a weakness secondary effect well lets just say the odds are not in favor of death school atm.

Survivor
Oct 30, 2012
Yeah please keep in mind the original post on Reddit had PVP in mind not PvE. Drains are fine in PVE to say the least. It'd just be nice to have more utility to keep up with other schools in PvP.

Hero
Aug 18, 2011
angellifeheart on Jun 14, 2019 wrote:
Ill have to disagree with that! Drains are not effective due to most being low damage. True in one instance you can't compare them to straight up damage spells, but most straight up damage spells comes with secondary effects via weakness to shield etc. In other words in competitive play death struggles to keep up with the off meta damage coverage for weakness that imposes a threat without any useful utilities, which may i remind you, juju got one heck of a nerf that literally makes it so useless that your better off using virulence plague in a 1v1 setting. When you compare that to spell such as efreet and lore master which both doing damage and having a weakness secondary effect well lets just say the odds are not in favor of death school atm.
Death has high damage conventional spells. Use those when you need a bigger hit, use drains when you need health. It would be OP to get the same damage as a normal spell, AND a health boost.

Geographer
Sep 30, 2018
Prince of Shadows on Jun 18, 2019 wrote:
Death has high damage conventional spells. Use those when you need a bigger hit, use drains when you need health. It would be OP to get the same damage as a normal spell, AND a health boost.
If this is the case then explain to me why death is literally at the bottom tier of pvp right now?