Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Difficulties

AuthorMessage
Explorer
May 22, 2009
In other video games like halo, COD, and several other games you have the option to pick your difficulty. There is easy, medium (normal), hard, and sometimes expert. This allows the person to pick how hard they want the game to be, but they can switch between the difficulties when they die. What if there was a way for wizard101 to do this, before you enter the world select the challenge level you want it to be. Then people who want an easy game can have that and people can challenge themselves. There would be the same gear drops in both just like there would be in other games. I do realize Wizard101 isn't like halo, COD, or most other games, but this would certainly resolve a lot of arguments.

Historian
Jun 19, 2010
You and others who mention this are on to something, and this could be done by creating realms named for their intensity level (i.e., Easy, Normal, Hard, Expert, and Hardcore).

Explorer
May 22, 2009
That would be a great solution, selecting the realm for the difficulty, great idea.

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
That would an awesome idea but would KI have to redo the whole game because all the intensities are already combined in other means? What if KI can do this to dungeons and certain battles through out the spiral. The will sure end the player's divided complaints about the difficulties. It can work something like this?; you step on the lit circles and the intensity window pop up. You click on the intensity you want. Then click on the x for team up if you need help. Those who do the same will be on your team.

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
This would of course settle some on-going and future arguments.

But, would transferring to one realm to the next work like teleporting now?

Wouldn't this also further create opportunities for exploiting?

Defender
Nov 14, 2015
Tylerwildpants on Feb 4, 2017 wrote:
You and others who mention this are on to something, and this could be done by creating realms named for their intensity level (i.e., Easy, Normal, Hard, Expert, and Hardcore).
i usually disagree but i actually like the realms idea

Historian
Nov 28, 2010
Another idea that just came to me today involves selecting difficulty without entirely revamping worlds.

It's something that I haven't really had time to think through to see if it would work, or to consider situations where it wouldn't work, but it goes like this.

The difficulty options wouldn't change game content, it would change your wizard. What I mean by that is that prior to any gear bonuses, the difficulty setting would provide ability modifications. Below is a crude example as I haven't actually considered what would be good numbers.

Hard
Accuracy: -10% (Universal)
Damage: -10% (Universal)
Power Pip Chance: -10% (Once Ability is Gained)
Critical: -10 X every 10 levels after level 50
Critical Block: -2 X every 10 levels after level 50
Armor Piercing: -5% (Universal, Once Ability is Gained))

Medium
No modifications

Easy
Accuracy: +5 (School Only)
Damage: +5% (School Only)
Power Pip Chance: +5% (Once Ability is Gained)
Critical: +5 X every 10 levels after level 50
Critical Block: +1 X every 10 levels after level 50
Armor Piercing: +5% (Universal, Once Ability is Gained)

Something like this would allow people to continue to play together even if they're playing at different difficulty levels, and wouldn't cause KI to create a whole bunch of alternate content. There are also suggestions about people willingly handicapping themselves by changing gear, but I think this option would be more efficient than trying to piece together a bunch of extra gear sets.

It also wouldn't be a permanent setting, you could change it at will at any time, except while in the middle of duel, but you could even change it partway through a dungeon if you liked.

Again, it's still a pretty fresh idea so I haven't really had a chance to come up with any sort of critical analysis regarding situations where it wouldn't work, or what numbers would be sufficient if it actually is a plausible idea.

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
Star Edward on Feb 4, 2017 wrote:
This would of course settle some on-going and future arguments.

But, would transferring to one realm to the next work like teleporting now?

Wouldn't this also further create opportunities for exploiting?

Transferring to one realm to the next can be like teleporting and for exploiting, is more of a personal opinion vs. how things work in real life to get the job done to remain in business. Your exploiting question would be answered better from KI because they do everything they can to make the game work better for everyone with different playstyle.

Survivor
May 13, 2010
Its an MMO which means that it has to be the same difficulty for every one . This would make it a lot harder for people who chose max difficulty to get help and it could make it a walk in the park for wizards that are "expert" if they chose the easy difficulty

Historian
Jun 19, 2010
High Five Ghost on Feb 5, 2017 wrote:
Another idea that just came to me today involves selecting difficulty without entirely revamping worlds.

It's something that I haven't really had time to think through to see if it would work, or to consider situations where it wouldn't work, but it goes like this.

The difficulty options wouldn't change game content, it would change your wizard. What I mean by that is that prior to any gear bonuses, the difficulty setting would provide ability modifications. Below is a crude example as I haven't actually considered what would be good numbers.

Hard

Medium
No modifications

Easy

Something like this would allow people to continue to play together even if they're playing at different difficulty levels, and wouldn't cause KI to create a whole bunch of alternate content. There are also suggestions about people willingly handicapping themselves by changing gear, but I think this option would be more efficient than trying to piece together a bunch of extra gear sets.

It also wouldn't be a permanent setting, you could change it at will at any time, except while in the middle of duel, but you could even change it partway through a dungeon if you liked.

Again, it's still a pretty fresh idea so I haven't really had a chance to come up with any sort of critical analysis regarding situations where it wouldn't work, or what numbers would be sufficient if it actually is a plausible idea.
Realms that scale players to game intensity levels; I love it! Just as PvP battles can be set up with specific constraints, so too can game content.

Historian
Jun 19, 2010
desertcrocodile27 on Feb 6, 2017 wrote:
Its an MMO which means that it has to be the same difficulty for every one . This would make it a lot harder for people who chose max difficulty to get help and it could make it a walk in the park for wizards that are "expert" if they chose the easy difficulty
PvP is currently available in Wizard101. PvP is able to be configured with very clear and specific constraints or increased affects established before the match begins. Everyone joining knows and agrees to such constraints and increased effects beforehand. It's also a given, experienced players are able to exploit constraints more effectively over newer, and less experienced players. And if creating difficulty-tiered realms is a programming nightmare, then how about creating or having scalable areas or dungeons where players can select pre-agreed team-up features such as Easy, Medium, Normal, Hard, or Hardcore Mode; with pre-agreed constraints or increased effects that occur automatically upon entering.

Defender
Nov 14, 2015
High Five Ghost on Feb 5, 2017 wrote:

Hard

Medium
No modifications

Easy

Expert/ Hardcore can just be double what hard is, I would love it in darkmoor, and Legendary can be double that. You have no idea how many strategies would be in place for legendary lol it'd definately bring the community together

Defender
Nov 05, 2010
Tylerwildpants on Feb 4, 2017 wrote:
I agree with Tyler's idea, this would be great.

Delver
Mar 10, 2015
This idea is fairly easy to make but for like main dungeons not bosses. Most bosses should be medium hard it's the point but stuff like darkmoor, waterworks, mirror lake ... This is so that king isle does not take 3 years to make would increase the chance of them making it.