Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Incident 161213-000320 - not good

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Oct 16, 2013
I purchased several of the packs on Monday during the 50% sale. Later in the day I purchased one for my son. All no problem. I later decided to purchase one last pack before they went off sale, and when i went to make the purchase, KingsIsle flagged my account for possible fraudulent activity, and denied the purchase.

There was a link to support to use if this was in error, so I clicked it and emailed what happened. Late Tuesday I opened a ticket right from the website since I had not heard anything from the initial ticket. I got a response to reply with username, etc.

I did that, and today the response I got was "sorry the sale is over"! What kind of service is that? I pay for two accounts, buy several packs, and when buying an additional pack, through no fault of my own the sale is denied and now I'm being told it's "too late".

Not good.

Defender
Aug 08, 2015
Yeah, I totally agree with you. It happens to me a lot. The reason it happens is because you do have a limit on how much you can spend each day, and if you go over, they flag you to stop from buying. They think a different person is charging off your account. Then you have to wait 24 hours before you can start buying again, if you don't email. Email is still pretty slow of a response, so I've heard. Not blaming them, but still.
Yep, it gets really annoying, especially when you're trying to buy stuff for a sale. And I tried emailing the link they sent me, but it said that it was not a valid address. More than likely on my end, but either way. That wouldn't have to happen if they just let me continue to spend at my leisure. Sorry that happened to ya. Happens all the time to me too.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Same thing happened to me with a crowns sale.

They do it to protect us but there should be some way to correct it before the sale runs out, OR allow the sale price if it turns out not to be "fraudulent," but just a happy customer!

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
Monstertone on Dec 14, 2016 wrote:
I purchased several of the packs on Monday during the 50% sale. Later in the day I purchased one for my son. All no problem. I later decided to purchase one last pack before they went off sale, and when i went to make the purchase, KingsIsle flagged my account for possible fraudulent activity, and denied the purchase.

There was a link to support to use if this was in error, so I clicked it and emailed what happened. Late Tuesday I opened a ticket right from the website since I had not heard anything from the initial ticket. I got a response to reply with username, etc.

I did that, and today the response I got was "sorry the sale is over"! What kind of service is that? I pay for two accounts, buy several packs, and when buying an additional pack, through no fault of my own the sale is denied and now I'm being told it's "too late".

Not good.
You can email them explaining this incident you have here:

support@wizard101.com

They'll be more than willing to assist!

Survivor
Oct 16, 2013
Thanks for your responses. I did email support twice! And I thought they were going to help me, but instead just said "sorry the sale is over". So basically you deny me to purchase from your site, then tell me "sorry too late.".

I'm almost ready to cancel my accounts over this really.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
On the plus side, hopefully they will have sales again soon.

Trying to think positive.
Happy Holidays!

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Monstertone on Dec 15, 2016 wrote:
Thanks for your responses. I did email support twice! And I thought they were going to help me, but instead just said "sorry the sale is over". So basically you deny me to purchase from your site, then tell me "sorry too late.".

I'm almost ready to cancel my accounts over this really.
just to confirm: are you sure that it was kingsisle that flagged your account and not your financial institution?

(i ask because, at least where i live, only your bank can block potentially fraudulent transactions~ kingsisle, or any other company, does not have access to your transaction history with your bank, in order to determine that something constitutes "atypical" use of an account.)

when i worked for a major bank, any "atypical use" of an account would result in it being automatically disabled; this could be anything, from use of the card in a different city (i have to call them anytime i travel, just to say "if the card is used in city x from y date to z date, don't flag it, it's me") to a new card that's never been used to purchase that particular product or service before... then, upon finding his or her account disabled, the customer would then have to call in to confirm that the purchase was, in fact, legit.)

if it was your bank or card carrier that flagged the purchases as potentially fraudulent, you will need to contact them; if it was, in fact, kingsisle themselves who did it, then all you can do is wait on a response from support.

sorry to hear this happened, though.

Survivor
Oct 16, 2013
Dr Von on Dec 16, 2016 wrote:
just to confirm: are you sure that it was kingsisle that flagged your account and not your financial institution?

(i ask because, at least where i live, only your bank can block potentially fraudulent transactions~ kingsisle, or any other company, does not have access to your transaction history with your bank, in order to determine that something constitutes "atypical" use of an account.)

when i worked for a major bank, any "atypical use" of an account would result in it being automatically disabled; this could be anything, from use of the card in a different city (i have to call them anytime i travel, just to say "if the card is used in city x from y date to z date, don't flag it, it's me") to a new card that's never been used to purchase that particular product or service before... then, upon finding his or her account disabled, the customer would then have to call in to confirm that the purchase was, in fact, legit.)

if it was your bank or card carrier that flagged the purchases as potentially fraudulent, you will need to contact them; if it was, in fact, kingsisle themselves who did it, then all you can do is wait on a response from support.

sorry to hear this happened, though.
It was definitely KingsIsle. The whole message was in the format of this website, and it said to contact support@kingsisle.com if this is in error. So I contacted them, because well, it was in error. And they basically said "tough luck, kid".

I understand them having to be careful about fraudulent activity, but when it works against a paying customer, they can at least honor the sale that was denied.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Same - you will get a message within the website if you try to buy things as well as an email from K.I. Support ticket also confirmed it was from K.I.

It seems automated.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Monstertone on Dec 16, 2016 wrote:
It was definitely KingsIsle. The whole message was in the format of this website, and it said to contact support@kingsisle.com if this is in error. So I contacted them, because well, it was in error. And they basically said "tough luck, kid".

I understand them having to be careful about fraudulent activity, but when it works against a paying customer, they can at least honor the sale that was denied.
very strange indeed; i agree that the sale should have been honoured once you confirmed that the purchase was legit. but, at the same time, i can understand why they didn't.

if they did it for one person, they'd have to do it for everyone. and there are definitely people out there who would abuse the system, so kingsisle is just covering their own behinds.

-von

Defender
May 02, 2015
Dr Von on Dec 18, 2016 wrote:
very strange indeed; i agree that the sale should have been honoured once you confirmed that the purchase was legit. but, at the same time, i can understand why they didn't.

if they did it for one person, they'd have to do it for everyone. and there are definitely people out there who would abuse the system, so kingsisle is just covering their own behinds.

-von
No one would know. KI has done somewhat good things in the past for me (I guess), but I'd rather not sing their praises because:

a) The things they need to do better are worlds more than the things they do right at present. It is in no way a 50/50 split, and so my posts reflect the more realistic state.

b) Out of fear of what you were saying - someone setting a precedence. So this would keep people from sharing on a mass level.

And even if they did know, guess what, all they need is a disclaimer saying that it's up to them on what to do case by case. That would be even better actually. It means there's a chance that they might do something to make something right. Right now, that chance is virtually non existence.

And instead of a "tough luck, buddy" canned response, a "no" in the latter scenario just translates too "It's our call and we're choosing no."

Survivor
Oct 16, 2013
For the record, this was never resolved. I guess that's their policy. If they deny you a sale even if it's their fault, you are out of luck. This kind of left me with a bad taste in my mouth for KingsIsle.