Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

epic fail

AuthorMessage
Historian
Aug 10, 2009
KI,

worst. update. EVER! there has been nothing i have enjoyed or liked about this new world... some of the bosses are WAY too hard.. the pack man thing? what were you thinking? you should really make it so we can choose do easy, medium or hard.

I get that you don't want it to be a cake walk but man, ease up a bit!

Defender
Jun 06, 2009
I do agree that the mobs need to be toned down.but what are you talking about with the pack man thing? Also your focusing way too much on difficulty, try focusing on the story and the world is actually fun

Survivor
May 25, 2009
"Fun" story does not make up for an unplayable (and therefore unenjoyable) world. Avalon was a blast, was not 'easy' but was winnable as a solo run, in most areas.

Mirage is just awful as a solo run, which is what it will be, in days to come. Mobs are too OP. It's a fail.

Squire
Oct 29, 2011
pennybelle on Dec 5, 2016 wrote:
"Fun" story does not make up for an unplayable (and therefore unenjoyable) world. Avalon was a blast, was not 'easy' but was winnable as a solo run, in most areas.

Mirage is just awful as a solo run, which is what it will be, in days to come. Mobs are too OP. It's a fail.
Yeah that's pretty accurate in my opinion.

Survivor
Jul 29, 2012
if you have the darkmoor gear you should be just fine, or any decent gear. Its lvl 110 world you kind of expect it to be a challenge, thats what makes it fun to play.

Defender
Nov 05, 2010
Are you kidding me? Wow, all of these people complaining about that difficulty when really it's not that hard. There is the post about toning down the mobs I can understand that but come on, we finally get an easy challenge then all these babies come along and ask for a nerf when it is slightly more challenging than Polaris, which I did appreciate for its story but was way to easy, except for the rat. So what is my point? Buck up and stop complaining when something is difficult

Delver
Jul 24, 2015
KI already has the right formula. They should put it to use in Mirage as well.

Prior to Mirage, the main quest series was mostly winnable solo, had a good storyline, and had gear that was mostly just pet chow. The side dungeons - Aquilla, Waterworks, Darkmoor - had significantly harder battles with very decent gear. Darkmoor was level 100. Prior to that, other hard dungeons came along every 10-20 levels. We're due for a new one.

Mirage battles should be easier. Mirage gear doesn't need to be changed. We also need a new, long, highly-challenging dungeon with high quality gear.

Historian
Aug 10, 2009
Yes I agree the main line should be soloable and the side quest should be much harder.. I would love to see a mode to make it easy, hard and epic.. have the gear scale with the level of hardness... for me I could care less about loot and I just want to make it to the end of the world to get to the next one..

I am not asking for this whole place to be made cream puff soft.. Just to remember not everyone is a 'team' player and some of us like to solo..

Explorer
Aug 01, 2013
Are you kidding me? Mirage, it's so easy at first it was a challenge for me. I was so excited and hype for this world all the bosses and mobs in this world are pretty fun even Grandfather Spider was a challenge but easy one shot him KO not that hard if you think Mirage is hard then you either got a bad pet, or bad stats now stop complaining and enjoy the world.

Squire
Oct 29, 2011
jordan night blood on Dec 6, 2016 wrote:
Are you kidding me? Wow, all of these people complaining about that difficulty when really it's not that hard. There is the post about toning down the mobs I can understand that but come on, we finally get an easy challenge then all these babies come along and ask for a nerf when it is slightly more challenging than Polaris, which I did appreciate for its story but was way to easy, except for the rat. So what is my point? Buck up and stop complaining when something is difficult
You are acting as if there is no problem with the world but obviously there is if there are this many people complaining about it. Just because you have found a way to solo the game and others haven't doesn't make you the bigger person here.

Explorer
Oct 02, 2012
I have to agree, I hate saying that but it's true. When you hardly critical or block anymore, when your pet fails to heal anymore, when you can die with 1 critical natural attack, it just isn't fun anymore at all. It's a chore and time to rethink this game. Sad though, cause I actually like Mirage.

Defender
Nov 05, 2010
frostednutella on Dec 6, 2016 wrote:
You are acting as if there is no problem with the world but obviously there is if there are this many people complaining about it. Just because you have found a way to solo the game and others haven't doesn't make you the bigger person here.
This world is as close to perfect as possible, best update in years for the game. I also never said I soloed it, but I'd imagine it would still be easy to solo, and also I am the bigger person because I'm not on here whining about every little problem with this game.

Defender
Nov 05, 2010
massive810 on Dec 6, 2016 wrote:
Are you kidding me? Mirage, it's so easy at first it was a challenge for me. I was so excited and hype for this world all the bosses and mobs in this world are pretty fun even Grandfather Spider was a challenge but easy one shot him KO not that hard if you think Mirage is hard then you either got a bad pet, or bad stats now stop complaining and enjoy the world.
Thank you! It was an very, very good world with a fair amount of challenge. It's not impossiably hard like some of the babies on here are complaining about, it's perfect.

Survivor
Jun 12, 2009
on the money! i am original wizard player MAX Hunter BattleCaster.
You are so right Jordan. Toughen up people! the world was a challenge,(for some) but if you can't handle a challenge to get to level one hundred and twenty, then you don't deserve to be there.
MAX level is an achievement, if you can't get there then you must be doing something wrong when all these other players are there in a day LOL. Try new tactics, treasure cards and deck set ups, there is a lot more depth to this update then monsters having high health. they barely use spells better than CL. if they ever do, it's usually a cheat, no stronger than anything we have already faced.

Delver
Jul 24, 2015
This thread is crossing the line into destructive ranting and personal attacks. Could all posters please make the effort to discuss their opinions without resorting to calling others derogatory names?

My own experience in Mirage has been quite good so far, but I still feel that the difficulty is too high for the majority of players. Itemization in Mirage is an issue as well. It is remarkable that the level 120 gear does not stand up well against Darkmoor gear from level 100. Reduction in critical and block driven by level increase further dilute any feeling of progress.

Claiming that a weak pet is the main cause of bad player experience doesn't ring true to me. Pets are a help, but the main issue is one of play style. Players who cannot accurately gauge their hits and who do not know how to defend themselves well are the ones who are suffering. Due to the requirement that players master the tactics of the game, the minimum age of play for Mirage is probably 15, compared to 10 for the game as a whole.

Expecting the majority of other players to be at your level is unrealistic. An expansion that the bulk of players will not be able to enjoy is bad for the game.

Defender
Nov 19, 2009
jordan night blood on Dec 7, 2016 wrote:
This world is as close to perfect as possible, best update in years for the game. I also never said I soloed it, but I'd imagine it would still be easy to solo, and also I am the bigger person because I'm not on here whining about every little problem with this game.
Exactly mate! I'm finding Mirage easy, dual-boxing. I could solo it but it would be much more tedious. It is a balanced world; not too much harder than Azteca/Khrysalis Part 2 but not as easy as Polaris.

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
Liam Wyrmhammer on Dec 7, 2016 wrote:
This thread is crossing the line into destructive ranting and personal attacks. Could all posters please make the effort to discuss their opinions without resorting to calling others derogatory names?

My own experience in Mirage has been quite good so far, but I still feel that the difficulty is too high for the majority of players. Itemization in Mirage is an issue as well. It is remarkable that the level 120 gear does not stand up well against Darkmoor gear from level 100. Reduction in critical and block driven by level increase further dilute any feeling of progress.

Claiming that a weak pet is the main cause of bad player experience doesn't ring true to me. Pets are a help, but the main issue is one of play style. Players who cannot accurately gauge their hits and who do not know how to defend themselves well are the ones who are suffering. Due to the requirement that players master the tactics of the game, the minimum age of play for Mirage is probably 15, compared to 10 for the game as a whole.

Expecting the majority of other players to be at your level is unrealistic. An expansion that the bulk of players will not be able to enjoy is bad for the game.
I agree. Many posts from the 'try-hard', aka: hardcore players have been rude, condescending, and totally uncalled for.

The 'average' players have concerns. Those concerns should be acknowledged and listened to. The majority of players are 'average'. Hardcore players are not going to hold up the game, and it's unfortunate that KI is catering to this type of mindset, rather than your 'average' player.

I was a hardcore player up through Polaris. I stopped being hardcore at the Rat, and am playing more casually now. For years I have tried to speak up on the boards for the 'average' player, because what might be easy for me, may not be easy for others. I see players struggle more and more as the worlds become more difficult. It's not the fun, magical, family-oriented game anymore.

The higher the gear, the worse the overall stats. Unless someone wants to farm Darkmoor until they are blue in the face, good gear isn't going to happen. So, what happened to Darkmoor being an optional dungeon? Not the case anymore! It's pretty much mandatory now. I always believed when Darkmoor came out that the gear (and spells) it provided was going to become an absolute necessity.

The game has become a JOB, not an adventure. I don't have time to dedicate 2-6 hours for a dungeon and finish with (what seems like) a .000001% chance of getting anything good. Not everyone farms. Farming should not be the ONLY OPTION, but alas, it has.

It is our wizards that are getting nerfed. The worlds get harder and our wizards are nerfed more and more. There is such a huge gap now, that 'average' players are giving up. Leaving. They struggle so hard and can't get anywhere. Gear is very difficult to get.

To top it off, you get rude players telling people to suck it up or leave. Those that pay for the game have every RIGHT to finish the end-game content without an extreme amount of difficulty. The main storyline should be relatively EASY. Make the sides much harder!

Nuff said

Survivor
May 01, 2010
Really bro? I am dying here! There is always that ONE person who loves to spread them wide open!

Defender
Nov 05, 2010
BrynnerOfReign on Dec 8, 2016 wrote:
I agree. Many posts from the 'try-hard', aka: hardcore players have been rude, condescending, and totally uncalled for.

The 'average' players have concerns. Those concerns should be acknowledged and listened to. The majority of players are 'average'. Hardcore players are not going to hold up the game, and it's unfortunate that KI is catering to this type of mindset, rather than your 'average' player.

I was a hardcore player up through Polaris. I stopped being hardcore at the Rat, and am playing more casually now. For years I have tried to speak up on the boards for the 'average' player, because what might be easy for me, may not be easy for others. I see players struggle more and more as the worlds become more difficult. It's not the fun, magical, family-oriented game anymore.

The higher the gear, the worse the overall stats. Unless someone wants to farm Darkmoor until they are blue in the face, good gear isn't going to happen. So, what happened to Darkmoor being an optional dungeon? Not the case anymore! It's pretty much mandatory now. I always believed when Darkmoor came out that the gear (and spells) it provided was going to become an absolute necessity.

The game has become a JOB, not an adventure. I don't have time to dedicate 2-6 hours for a dungeon and finish with (what seems like) a .000001% chance of getting anything good. Not everyone farms. Farming should not be the ONLY OPTION, but alas, it has.

It is our wizards that are getting nerfed. The worlds get harder and our wizards are nerfed more and more. There is such a huge gap now, that 'average' players are giving up. Leaving. They struggle so hard and can't get anywhere. Gear is very difficult to get.

To top it off, you get rude players telling people to suck it up or leave. Those that pay for the game have every RIGHT to finish the end-game content without an extreme amount of difficulty. The main storyline should be relatively EASY. Make the sides much harder!

Nuff said
Rude and Condescending? maybe. Uncalled for? Haha, definitely not. Kingsisle put a lot of time and effort into this amazing world and update which were near perfect in every way, and what do they get for it? A bunch of people who can't handle a challenge demanding a nerf where none is clearly needed. These people just want everything handed to them. It happened with darkmoor, a bunch of people who thought it was too hard and couldn't handle a challenge. (Which by the way Darkmoor was still easy before the nerf.) Demanded,whined and pestered Kingsisle to nerf it, and what happned? Darkmoor was nerfed and made incredibly easy, even more so than before and i would hate this to happen to Mirage because a bunch of babies can't grow up and handle a challenge

Hero
Aug 18, 2011
I'm loving Mirage. It's close to perfect.

To those who say it's too hard, team up, or wait for the inevitable nerf in a year or two. This happens with every single world, except perhaps Polaris, which many were saying was too easy. Really, you can do it.

Geographer
Apr 29, 2012
Lots of people hate this new world and are willing to be rude towards those who like/love it. Lots of people dislike this world and want a change. Lots of people like this world and won't want a change. Lots of people love this new world and are willing to be rude towards those who dislike/hate it. In this post I've seen some of the second, and lots of the fourth. In fact, that seems to be the general consensus.

I personally think a difficulty setting could be added to this game rather well. Make either more realms or half of the existing realms for harder difficulty, and an equal number for easy, or make it almost like the housing gauntlet difficulty with 5 or 6 tiers. But, of course, the best drops would only be available in the hardest realms, so people after a casual game can receive it, and those after a challenging game can also receive it.

PvP would be hard to sort with such a system in place (and other aspects likely would be too), but if Mirage is turning this many away from the main game, then PvP seems rather trivial to me. Of course, I'm not professional, I'm not even in Mirage. Just thought I'd give my opinion: lower the difficulty for those who say it was hard, and ramp up the difficulty for those who say it was easy.

Survivor
Oct 23, 2015
Guys you are only saying its extremely difficult because you are comparing it to Polaris, which was a massive drop in difficulty from Khrysalis and Azteca bar a couple of bosses. Lots of people were saying Polaris was too easy. Now that KI have released something that is progressively harder than those two worlds its all of a sudden way too hard. Also what is so hard about doing it with at least one other person? This game is not supposed to be about soloing.

Astrologist
Dec 31, 2009
I have been doing random team ups in Mirage just to see why everyone is having a hard time. Here is the main problem, poor deck setup! People are taking way to long to hit and defeat both the mobs and bosses because they are not finding the cards they need. Most decks truly look like a dumpster fire from my perspective.

For mobs you basically need to blade, blade, blade and kill. Try a mob deck with a few blades and a couple of hits, for example, my storm mob deck has 2 temps, 1 bugs, 3 epics, my pet and amulet blade. I used this on mobs through the entire world and had no problems at all.

For bosses you will need either feints/traps or blades depending on the cheats. There are many bosses that do not cheat at all. Even the cheating ones will let you either feint or blade. Again, only pack what you are going to need.

The key to success here is to kill quickly and not just stand around trying to set up a hit over 10 rounds because you will most likely die.

Explorer
Jul 01, 2009
Prince of Shadows on Dec 8, 2016 wrote:
I'm loving Mirage. It's close to perfect.

To those who say it's too hard, team up, or wait for the inevitable nerf in a year or two. This happens with every single world, except perhaps Polaris, which many were saying was too easy. Really, you can do it.
Just to flip this around how about this?

To those who say it's too easy: solo, or nerf your gear to make things harder on yourself. This happens in every single world, except perhaps Polaris (which I happened to think was close to perfect except for the Rat, which many are still saying is too hard).

Really, you can do it.

Survivor
Mar 25, 2012
What!?!? Sure, perhaps it's a bit more difficult but I enjoy the challenge, maybe you can too! As we've become stronger the worlds simply began to become all the same to me... Well, let me tell you, Mirage is not a world most people will be forgetting!!! I hope the next world is a struggle just as Mirage is!
-Angel Night Dreamer