Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Do you have any advice for someone playing Myth?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 17, 2010
I've recently returned to W101 after a huge absense from it, and I found Myth to be very difficult.

I am level 81, still in Avalon, and I seem to die to most bosses. I've read that Myth is a school designed for questing solo, but I cannot seem to do that. Of all the schools I've played, I found Life to be a great deal easier to solo as than Myth (Life being my main).

I've experimented with using minions and the spells designed to command them, but such methods don't seem as appropriate at a higher level. The minions do little damage; they cost too many pips to use, so I've lost a chunk of my health waiting for them to come back; at times they can be very useful, as if they actually know what they're doing, and at others it's as if they're trying to get me killed. The last battle I was in, I had Vassanji up (the elephant) and it spent four rounds trying to stun a boss (and for some reason all bosses are immune to being stunned, which is a HUGE problem to Myth strategies [particularly when going solo]) then casted a cyclops to eat my feints and traps, followed by a spamming of Ether Shield for the rest of a battle. I don't think ether shield is going to be very useless against 2 fire foes. I'm sure the troll minion will be less of a troll than an elephant

Anyway, I don't know what else to say. I just seem to be having a lot of difficulty keeping myself alive through till the end of a battle. My gear is a Poet's Hood, Armour of the Banneret, Ice Croc's Heavy Waders, and a wand I change depending on what I'm versing. I hadn't thought my stats were too bad, unless I ditch the hood and return to my Tricksy WW's hat.

If anyting, I believe the Myth wizards should somehow be able to have more control over their minions. Every school can summon a minion, so the concept of it doesn't seem as unique to a Myth school. Others are known for high damage, or healing, or defense, and then there is Myth which just seems to float on by. The spells designed for minions take up space in a deck, and as they show at random times, it seems such a pain when they don't reveal themselves in the necessary order. Perhaps allow Myth to have a unique section to their decks specially designed for minion spells, that they can use in battle alongside their own spells? I don't know.

Advice would be great and highly appreciated for someone who doesn't know what they're doing

Thanks,
Level 81 Myth Novice

Survivor
Nov 30, 2009
Hello Wizard! I have a 110 myth and I can tell you from experience that it's a very fun class to play once you get the hang of it. The first thing is to get a life mastery and train up to satyr. This is very crucial to being able to solo the game. Also, buy a lot of tc shields and change your deck for every boss fight. For example, if you are fighting a myth boss and storm minions, pack tc and normal shields for both. But do not forget to pack prisms! Personally I like to use tc prisms since they are easier to find most of the time, but it is up to you. Lastly, do not use minions in avalon! They are waste of space in your deck and a waste of pips.

Good luck wizard!

Historian
Jun 17, 2014
this is coming from a wizard who hasnt touched the myth class but has played since 09.....

myth is the hardest class to solo higher you go... it honestly is, it probably drops below ice in being the weakest in battles.... and i'm a cold hearted ice wizard, lol, it would be cool if myth only decks were set with a main, side, and minion part, and you can see a little sword, shield, and heart over the card to show what's its main focus is....

another simple option, even though this is some how a cheat... make a second account, life wizard with ice secondary for tower/blizzard... get him/her up to lvl 20ish... and have him/her port with all your battles to heal and tower you... only issue would be, it brings in a new enemy.....

again i never played myth, dont really think i will, but hopefully this helps

Mastermind
Jan 05, 2014
I have played a myth, haven't got as far as you have, but yes, I agree, myth is a pain. It is at least as difficult as balance but without the cool differences in abilities balance has. Myth is basically an offensive school like fire or storm but not as strong as either and riddled with problems.

1) Many players see that Myth has more minion spells than any other school, and is thus "the school of minions". The problem with this is minions in Wizard101 are nearly worthless. There are a few situations with difficult bosses in the mid-levels that minions can help with, but once you get to Avalon I don't see why anyone would ever summon a minion, they simply aren't worth the turn and pips. Many players would say they become worthless long before you reach Avalon.

2) After the minions, Myth's most characteristic spells seem oriented towards PvP. The double hit spells Minotaur and Orthus are handy for getting around shields, as are pierce and shatter. The charm and shield annihilating effect of earthquake is devastating in PvP. But these spells are much less useful in PvE questing, except maybe for pierce. But pierce is readily available as a treasure card, so it doesn't really feel unique to myth.

3) Myth's attacks are mostly mediocre in hitting power and myth doesn't have extra damage enhancers other offensive schools have, like supercharge, windstorm, fuel, curse, and dark pact. This makes Myth feel pretty weak offensively. Worst of all, Myth has no large 7-9 pip AoE attack, the four pip humongofrog is pretty much the go to AoE for myth. Earthquake doesn't do any more damage to speak of, its extra pips get you the special blade and ward destroying effect but that is hardly ever useful outside of PvP.

continued on next post ...

Mastermind
Jan 05, 2014
How to play myth --

There are ways to make myth more effective. Much of this works for any school, but myth seems to need the help more than most.

1) Farm the ninja pigs spell. Ninja pigs does a flat 640 damage for 5 pips, a damage to pip ratio that compares well to most storm spells and is far higher than most myth spells. And as a single hit spell it gets full benefit from traps, unlike minotaur that you have to use two traps with to get much effect from the trap. Ninja pigs is farmed by fighting Koto in the Cave of Solitude. It usually takes many attempts to get ninja pigs to drop. Power through the boredom and do it, you REALLY need this spell.

2) Learn feint early on. Feint is a trainable death spell and will cost you 7 training points to learn. That will seem like a TON of training points but it is absolutely worth it. Feint is a trap that gives you a whopping 70% damage bonus to any attack regardless of school, and is great for taking down high health bosses. Pretty much every wizard class should learn feint, but myth needs it more than most due to Myth's rather puny offensive potential.

3) Get an enchanted armament pet. This will put sharpen blade item cards in your deck. In effect this gives you more stackable blades, which is extremely helpful. You can farm a first generation enchanted armamant by defeating Gladiator Dimachaerus in mount Olympus, the drop rate is pretty high. Or just hatch with someone who already has one.

4) Learn spirit blade from Niles, the balance tree, in Krokotopia for a training point. You might want to learn spirit trap as well, but the blade is much more useful.

5) When they become available, look for amulets that add damage enhancers to your deck. Jewel of the feint becomes available at level 50 and Shango's mythblade amulet is available at level 60. The item card versions of feint and mythblade these add to your deck stack with regular learned spells.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
camahawk on Oct 15, 2016 wrote:
this is coming from a wizard who hasnt touched the myth class but has played since 09.....

myth is the hardest class to solo higher you go... it honestly is, it probably drops below ice in being the weakest in battles.... and i'm a cold hearted ice wizard, lol, it would be cool if myth only decks were set with a main, side, and minion part, and you can see a little sword, shield, and heart over the card to show what's its main focus is....

another simple option, even though this is some how a cheat... make a second account, life wizard with ice secondary for tower/blizzard... get him/her up to lvl 20ish... and have him/her port with all your battles to heal and tower you... only issue would be, it brings in a new enemy.....

again i never played myth, dont really think i will, but hopefully this helps
If you've never played it, how can you make such a wild assertion? Myth was the easiest of all my wizards to solo nearly everything. My only wizard that soloed Tartarus at level 90, enough to get a full set of Hades gear. Aside from Darkmoor and The Rat no real trouble soloing Myth. The biggest problem with players trying to solo is that they refuse to dress for the battle. As a team player you can just breeze through wearing one set of clothing for whole worlds or even several worlds. As a solo player you need to be more selective and dress to the boss you are fighting. I have soloed 6 wizards through w101, 5 to the end. I skipped Fire and Ice, my first wizard is sitting stuck at Xibalba. Every other school had little problem getting past Xibalba alone, not Ice though.

Squire
Oct 29, 2011
When I was solo questing on my myth, I would kill the boss before it killed me meaning I didn't waste turns. I never shielded or healed. I would suggest a pet with double resist and maybe a heal to go along with it.

Defender
Oct 24, 2012
If you're gonna do pvp, you really don't need a life mastery. Get Myth critical gear, summon the 0 pip golem minion, and then next round siphon health for 1 pip. Takes two turns but it's a 1 pip heal!

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
DanTheTerrible on Oct 16, 2016 wrote:
I have played a myth, haven't got as far as you have, but yes, I agree, myth is a pain. It is at least as difficult as balance but without the cool differences in abilities balance has. Myth is basically an offensive school like fire or storm but not as strong as either and riddled with problems.

1) Many players see that Myth has more minion spells than any other school, and is thus "the school of minions". The problem with this is minions in Wizard101 are nearly worthless. There are a few situations with difficult bosses in the mid-levels that minions can help with, but once you get to Avalon I don't see why anyone would ever summon a minion, they simply aren't worth the turn and pips. Many players would say they become worthless long before you reach Avalon.

2) After the minions, Myth's most characteristic spells seem oriented towards PvP. The double hit spells Minotaur and Orthus are handy for getting around shields, as are pierce and shatter. The charm and shield annihilating effect of earthquake is devastating in PvP. But these spells are much less useful in PvE questing, except maybe for pierce. But pierce is readily available as a treasure card, so it doesn't really feel unique to myth.

3) Myth's attacks are mostly mediocre in hitting power and myth doesn't have extra damage enhancers other offensive schools have, like supercharge, windstorm, fuel, curse, and dark pact. This makes Myth feel pretty weak offensively. Worst of all, Myth has no large 7-9 pip AoE attack, the four pip humongofrog is pretty much the go to AoE for myth. Earthquake doesn't do any more damage to speak of, its extra pips get you the special blade and ward destroying effect but that is hardly ever useful outside of PvP.

continued on next post ...
I play Myth and I agree with you 100%

Survivor
Dec 17, 2010
Thanks for all the replies and advice, guys

I made it through to Azteca, again soloing, and ditched the whole minion concept. I'd imagined controlling minions a bit too much, that I lost track of what the minions were actually capable of, as if I truly could be a magical puppeteer. what a reality check.

I do have the enchanted armament pet, funnily enough. My problem I think was more to do with my focusing too much on dealing damage, rather than keeping myself alive. My resistance is only 27, which seemed fine for my Life wizard because I had the resources to deal with it; but with Myth I had no other resources other than to kill or be killed. I avoided the Life mastery amulet, because I thought the game was designed for schools to function well without it, and still haven't turned to it. When I verse bosses, I look them up on Central, see what they're capable of, then play to suit the game. I just soloed the quest for Azteca star obelisk, which had a Myth boss and two Fire minions, and I won the battle at 213 health, with a still ticking Basilisk that dealt 220 Glad I got that critical.

I found using Orthrus and Minotaur difficult when it came to traps. I feel they're best to bosses that actually use a shield to fight through. Basilisk I don't use on Myth bosses, because I don't have enough converts to make up for the over time damage, which means I'm pretty much left with Medusa and Earth/Frog in such battles. I cannot stun bosses either, so that's most of my tactics gone, and minions are in the past.

I don't feel weak in damage. But if my intentions now are to increase my resources, that damage will inevitably decrease until I reach a higher level with better gear. Other than bosses, mobs are a piece of cake, and I can fly through those better than others who have joined the battles.

I will start farming for that Ninja Pig spell when I get the chance

Again, thanks everyone. Feel free to add more tips.

Defender
Mar 08, 2011
Max level myth here, myth is the only school I've played, so IDK how easy the other schools are. Get ninja pigs, they hit like a train. Train life up to satyr and ice up to tower shield. Use tc feints. With extra training points get weakness if you want. The elephant is useful for a 1 vs life or death boss. I personally play myth defensively. Shield up and charge up your biggest hit, then strike. If it doesn't one shot, bash the boss with ninja pigs. People think myth is weak for their low pop spells but that's what makes them strong. You can spam ninja pigs. Only use duel hit spells for certain situations. Use the doll for health if you want. For mobs charge a frog up and then kill. If it doesn't kill, you should have the pips to spam. Athena is useful but incredibly difficult to get. If all else fails, use the power of jolly cooperation. As I said, I actually use myth more defense than offense.

Delver
Jul 24, 2015
DanTheTerrible on Oct 16, 2016 wrote:
How to play myth --

There are ways to make myth more effective. Much of this works for any school, but myth seems to need the help more than most.

1) Farm the ninja pigs spell. Ninja pigs does a flat 640 damage for 5 pips, a damage to pip ratio that compares well to most storm spells and is far higher than most myth spells. And as a single hit spell it gets full benefit from traps, unlike minotaur that you have to use two traps with to get much effect from the trap. Ninja pigs is farmed by fighting Koto in the Cave of Solitude. It usually takes many attempts to get ninja pigs to drop. Power through the boredom and do it, you REALLY need this spell.

2) Learn feint early on. Feint is a trainable death spell and will cost you 7 training points to learn. That will seem like a TON of training points but it is absolutely worth it. Feint is a trap that gives you a whopping 70% damage bonus to any attack regardless of school, and is great for taking down high health bosses. Pretty much every wizard class should learn feint, but myth needs it more than most due to Myth's rather puny offensive potential.

3) Get an enchanted armament pet. This will put sharpen blade item cards in your deck. In effect this gives you more stackable blades, which is extremely helpful. You can farm a first generation enchanted armamant by defeating Gladiator Dimachaerus in mount Olympus, the drop rate is pretty high. Or just hatch with someone who already has one.

4) Learn spirit blade from Niles, the balance tree, in Krokotopia for a training point. You might want to learn spirit trap as well, but the blade is much more useful.

5) When they become available, look for amulets that add damage enhancers to your deck. Jewel of the feint becomes available at level 50 and Shango's mythblade amulet is available at level 60. The item card versions of feint and mythblade these add to your deck stack with regular learned spells.
This is all excellent advice. I'll add a few more things to this.

6) Aside from your Amulet, good resist gear makes a substantial difference to your ability to survive in solo encounters. Waterworks, Atlantea, or maybe Wintertusk Hat / Robe / Boots will blunt the damage you take, and have many other nice benefits.

7) The Balance school Spirit Blade spell is useful for some fights, but try to avoid using it when not needed. The pip cost means that you aren't growing your pips when you cast this or its enchanted variant. Myth Blade, Sharpened Myth Blade, and Myth Blade item card together are enough to make your attack do roughly triple damage. Add an enchant on top of this and you have an Earthquake that will kill any non-Boss in Avalon.

8) Keep your deck size small. Put a Reshuffle or two in or on the sideboard, just in case. Any deck that has exactly what you need to win a fight will probably fit in your 7 card hand. It also guarantees that you will draw every card you need to win.

Defender
Mar 08, 2011
Liam Wyrmhammer on Oct 24, 2016 wrote:
This is all excellent advice. I'll add a few more things to this.

6) Aside from your Amulet, good resist gear makes a substantial difference to your ability to survive in solo encounters. Waterworks, Atlantea, or maybe Wintertusk Hat / Robe / Boots will blunt the damage you take, and have many other nice benefits.

7) The Balance school Spirit Blade spell is useful for some fights, but try to avoid using it when not needed. The pip cost means that you aren't growing your pips when you cast this or its enchanted variant. Myth Blade, Sharpened Myth Blade, and Myth Blade item card together are enough to make your attack do roughly triple damage. Add an enchant on top of this and you have an Earthquake that will kill any non-Boss in Avalon.

8) Keep your deck size small. Put a Reshuffle or two in or on the sideboard, just in case. Any deck that has exactly what you need to win a fight will probably fit in your 7 card hand. It also guarantees that you will draw every card you need to win.
To add to this, don't use earthquake, use frog, its 2 less pips and does more damage. PVE like no enemies use shields and if they do its still not worth it to destroy the shields.

Squire
Oct 29, 2011
Bigboss1029 on Nov 1, 2016 wrote:
To add to this, don't use earthquake, use frog, its 2 less pips and does more damage. PVE like no enemies use shields and if they do its still not worth it to destroy the shields.
Some people like to use earthquake because it always has a chance of doing the same amount of damage. Frog ranges about 265-325 I believe and earthquake is always in between. It has to do if someone wants more consistant damage.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
frostednutella on Nov 1, 2016 wrote:
Some people like to use earthquake because it always has a chance of doing the same amount of damage. Frog ranges about 265-325 I believe and earthquake is always in between. It has to do if someone wants more consistant damage.
Spending 2 extra pips to do virtually the same damage doesn't make much sense unless you are clearing the way for someone else's real attack.

Survivor
Dec 15, 2009
Idk what pro-strats you were using Seethe42 but I've had a myth since Dragonspyre was the final world and myth simply couldn't solo some bosses even with the best gear. They have average to low health they have average to low damage they have average to low accuracy they have average to low resist they have average to low critical minions are neglected and they have hardly any really good pve spells. They have stuns and shield breaks, both are useless and a waste of space usually in pve. They did dominate in pvp though and by Celestia or so if you have good gear it gets somewhat easier for a myth although not really enough compared to other schools. I wasn't "playing the game wrong" either. I'm also pretty sure they nerfed like Dragonspyre and Celestia since I played so that could be factor. I guess you're just a better player than me lol but still I never found it easy myself. I never used minions past around Marleybone if I remember correctly I do remember Dragonspyre being by far the hardest world for me followed by Avalon.

Defender
Mar 08, 2011
frostednutella on Nov 1, 2016 wrote:
I still don't believe that's worth 2 more pips, but it helps

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
fruit salad on Nov 2, 2016 wrote:
Idk what pro-strats you were using Seethe42 but I've had a myth since Dragonspyre was the final world and myth simply couldn't solo some bosses even with the best gear. They have average to low health they have average to low damage they have average to low accuracy they have average to low resist they have average to low critical minions are neglected and they have hardly any really good pve spells. They have stuns and shield breaks, both are useless and a waste of space usually in pve. They did dominate in pvp though and by Celestia or so if you have good gear it gets somewhat easier for a myth although not really enough compared to other schools. I wasn't "playing the game wrong" either. I'm also pretty sure they nerfed like Dragonspyre and Celestia since I played so that could be factor. I guess you're just a better player than me lol but still I never found it easy myself. I never used minions past around Marleybone if I remember correctly I do remember Dragonspyre being by far the hardest world for me followed by Avalon.
The only "pro-strat" was having an Enchanted Armament pet so I could double my blade stacking early on. That's good for any school though. They have nerfed them again since I did them too making it even easier for Myth to solo now. Myth falls below Storm and Fire but above Balance, Ice, Life and Death on damage per pip. Not sure what gear your Myth has, but my Myth's critical is second only to my Storm.