Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

What Kinds of Magic Are There?

AuthorMessage
Geographer
Apr 29, 2012
Long ago, in the FirstWorld of the Spiral, Grandfather Tree (or Bartleby) sang into creation 3 races. Dragons ruled the land with fire and steel, the Giants ruled the skies in castles of ice, and the Tritons ruled the seas and the depths below. But soon, there was a war. Tritons would hurl storms at the lands the Dragons claimed, the Dragons would use their flames to melt the palaces of the Giants, and the Giants would steal water from the seas of the Tritons. We learn from Torrence in Ravenwood that the Tritons lost the war, and Bernie suggests likewise for the Dragons. But nevertheless; this conflict broke the FirstWorld into what we now know as the worlds of the Spiral. Grandfather Tree and Grandmother Raven fashioned them into a spiral shape to keep them from leaving the new Spiral.

Before the war had ended though, the Giants had created the magic of Ice; Thaumaturgy. The Dragons had forged a magic of Fire; Pyromancy. And the Tritons had willed a magic of Storm; Divination. After the war, great wizards mixed these magics. From the warmth of Fire and the cold of Ice came the possible impossibility of Myth magic; Conjuration. From the cold of Ice and the spark of Storm came the macabre practice of Death magic; Necromancy. And lastly from the spark of Storm and the warmth of Fire came the vibrant study of Life magic; Theurgy.

Long after this, on the distant desert world of Krokotopia, Elemental mages combined the arts of Fire, Ice and Storm to create the powerful and unique Balance magic; Sorcery. Even farther than Krokotopia, however, on Celestia, the bright triad of Fire, Storm and Life were merged into the everburning Sun magic; as yet unnamed. As well as the arcane arts of Ice, Myth & Death being combined into the everchanging Moon magic; also unnamed. And from a combination we've yet to know exactly came the evershining Star magic; again unnamed.

So these are all of the, what I like to call, Bartleby Magics we've encountered. But there's also the elusive reality-manipulating art of Shadow magic; Shadowmancy (I prefer Umbramancy). This is the first Spider Magic we've come across, as Bartleby and Nightstar were not the only beings around for the FirstWorld. In fact, from the vast dark and nothingness before the Spiral was born Grandfather Spider. When the creator made Grandfather Tree and Grandmother Raven, Spider hated Raven. They fought and fought until Raven trapped Spider in a place now called Khrysalis. But perhaps older than Spider himself would be the mysterious Auroracle dwelling in now Polaris. Unknown if an individual, or a collective, or if they even have a form besides light, they are certainly interesting.

But these are the magics we've known, found and trained in. But what else is there? Well Wysteria is an academy that teaches parodies of the main 7 Bartleby schools, and Dragonspyre is missing a school of Life and Balance but has two destroyed and unnamed schools. Not to mention Wysterian Art and the notorious Alchemy.

Delver
Jan 17, 2013
Blaze Sandblade on Sep 3, 2016 wrote:
Long ago, in the FirstWorld of the Spiral, Grandfather Tree (or Bartleby) sang into creation 3 races. Dragons ruled the land with fire and steel, the Giants ruled the skies in castles of ice, and the Tritons ruled the seas and the depths below. But soon, there was a war. Tritons would hurl storms at the lands the Dragons claimed, the Dragons would use their flames to melt the palaces of the Giants, and the Giants would steal water from the seas of the Tritons. We learn from Torrence in Ravenwood that the Tritons lost the war, and Bernie suggests likewise for the Dragons. But nevertheless; this conflict broke the FirstWorld into what we now know as the worlds of the Spiral. Grandfather Tree and Grandmother Raven fashioned them into a spiral shape to keep them from leaving the new Spiral.

Before the war had ended though, the Giants had created the magic of Ice; Thaumaturgy. The Dragons had forged a magic of Fire; Pyromancy. And the Tritons had willed a magic of Storm; Divination. After the war, great wizards mixed these magics. From the warmth of Fire and the cold of Ice came the possible impossibility of Myth magic; Conjuration. From the cold of Ice and the spark of Storm came the macabre practice of Death magic; Necromancy. And lastly from the spark of Storm and the warmth of Fire came the vibrant study of Life magic; Theurgy.

Long after this, on the distant desert world of Krokotopia, Elemental mages combined the arts of Fire, Ice and Storm to create the powerful and unique Balance magic; Sorcery. Even farther than Krokotopia, however, on Celestia, the bright triad of Fire, Storm and Life were merged into the everburning Sun magic; as yet unnamed. As well as the arcane arts of Ice, Myth & Death being combined into the everchanging Moon magic; also unnamed. And from a combination we've yet to know exactly came the evershining Star magic; again unnamed.

So these are all of the, what I like to call, Bartleby Magics we've encountered. But there's also the elusive reality-manipulating art of Shadow magic; Shadowmancy (I prefer Umbramancy). This is the first Spider Magic we've come across, as Bartleby and Nightstar were not the only beings around for the FirstWorld. In fact, from the vast dark and nothingness before the Spiral was born Grandfather Spider. When the creator made Grandfather Tree and Grandmother Raven, Spider hated Raven. They fought and fought until Raven trapped Spider in a place now called Khrysalis. But perhaps older than Spider himself would be the mysterious Auroracle dwelling in now Polaris. Unknown if an individual, or a collective, or if they even have a form besides light, they are certainly interesting.

But these are the magics we've known, found and trained in. But what else is there? Well Wysteria is an academy that teaches parodies of the main 7 Bartleby schools, and Dragonspyre is missing a school of Life and Balance but has two destroyed and unnamed schools. Not to mention Wysterian Art and the notorious Alchemy.
In the Pharaoh's Hoard Pack, the Anubis' Astral Staff gives wand attacks for Storm, Death, and Life. It's possible those are the 3 schools that make up Star magic. However, the Lunar Scepter has the 3 Moon school wand attacks, but the Solar Pikestaff has only two Sun school wand attacks. It could just be an error on Kingsisle's part to have the Solar Pikestaff give a Myth wand attack instead of a Storm one, if the wands are indeed following the Astral wand attack trend.

People think we'll learn Cantrips magic when we go behind the Cabal gate in the Arcanum.

I'm hoping that Alchemy will be an extension to crafting in Mirage.

Defender
Apr 09, 2011

I'm thinking by the end of the game we are gonna have another pip like light pips. Maybe you join together with the council of light again to uncover the magic from a world banished or unknown in our spiral.

Geographer
Apr 29, 2012

So that's all of the facts and basics, but now we can talk about theories. Bartleby made 3 Primary schools of magic, and Spider made at least 1, with Raven and the Auroracle possibly having made some but we've yet to see them. Now the main way of finding out about the existing schools of magic is by visiting their schools and teachers. So the first place of schools we find, Ravenwood, would be a great place to start. Now on Firecat Alley we encounter a one Gretta Darkkettle; a retired Alchemy teacher. So apparently Alchemy used to be taught at Ravenwood, and Merle Ambrose apparently wants her to come back and start teaching again, but with the 6 schools around Bartleby taking up all the space (counting the Death school chasm), where would it have been taught? The answer's simple: Golem Court. Right next to Dragon Mouth's Cave, and fire would be important in both the metallurgic and potion aspects of Alchemy. A spatious garden around it for the creations to be tested and to roam. And most importantly; not near Bartleby. Why would Bartleby not want the Alchemy school close to him? Well, what Alchemists besides Gretta do we know?

There's Alchemist Kepi in Krokotopia, as well as Xipli Tailbiter in Azteca, I'm sure there's others across the Spiral. But the most prevelant? How about Grandfather Spider's child The Scorpion?

'Here we have the Scorpion, a master Alchemist and ruthless Warlord, prophesied to rise from the desert sands and steal the sun!'

So if Bartleby himself has no magic, but his children do. It would follow that each of Spider's children would do too. I'm assuming that the Bat would be the Titan of Shadow magic, as they are 'a brilliant shapeshifting Vampire, a master of illusion and subterfuge', and that leaves Scorpion and Rat. I'm far from certain about Rat's magic, but Alchemy would fit Scorpion perfectly. It's blatantly used to describe him, and Alchemy is about Transmutations; manipulating reality much like Shadow. I'll add when I have more room.

Survivor
Sep 19, 2010
There are MANY forms of magic we do not yet know.

Light is a form of magic that counters shadow, but we can't be entirely sure it exists. What proof do we have of Light being a school, aside from the Auroracle?

Crystal Magic was found in Dragonspyre, it seems to be greatly exaggerated Time magic. Though, I doubt we'll ever learn it.

Rune magic was found in Grizzleheim. with the ravens. it seems to be entirely centered around Beguiles and tricks... BUT, it might just be a large subset of death.

All of the Wysterian Schools, though forming a Ravenwood school, focus on different elements.

Balance = Equality, but Equilibrium = Suppresion
Death = Mortality, but Spirit was Divination (In a magical sense, not a gameplay sense)
Ice = Defendability, but Frost = Flightiness
Fire = Patience, but Ember = Homeliness and the Hearth
Myth = Imagination, but Chaos = Insanity
Storm = Creation, but Tempest = Mystery
Life = Vividness, but Earth = all the factors of life

These could represent schools in their own right. It's implied Wysteria is going to be taking influence from Ravenwood after Tanglewood Terror (the gauntlet?), so, perhaps seven new schools might emerge.

Harmony seems to be a style of magic only found in Kembaalung, different from balance and tied into Mooshu magics like Air and Earth. Combine with things like Body and Spirit... perhaps Wysteria isn't so far-fletched. Wysterian Magics and Mooshu magic might be simply unteachable to a Ravenwooder.

That's all I could think of, but I believe there might be more if I examined things closer.

There are probably many magics we can't learn, simply on the fact we don't go to and never will go to those schools. Though, if we're learning about Shadow instead of Light (or whatever analogue there is of light), one can only wonder where the game's storyline is going. Makes me wonder, are we more evil than we thought?

Geographer
Apr 29, 2012
Belgrim Soulthief on Sep 4, 2016 wrote:
There are MANY forms of magic we do not yet know.

Light is a form of magic that counters shadow, but we can't be entirely sure it exists. What proof do we have of Light being a school, aside from the Auroracle?

Crystal Magic was found in Dragonspyre, it seems to be greatly exaggerated Time magic. Though, I doubt we'll ever learn it.

Rune magic was found in Grizzleheim. with the ravens. it seems to be entirely centered around Beguiles and tricks... BUT, it might just be a large subset of death.

All of the Wysterian Schools, though forming a Ravenwood school, focus on different elements.

Balance = Equality, but Equilibrium = Suppresion
Death = Mortality, but Spirit was Divination (In a magical sense, not a gameplay sense)
Ice = Defendability, but Frost = Flightiness
Fire = Patience, but Ember = Homeliness and the Hearth
Myth = Imagination, but Chaos = Insanity
Storm = Creation, but Tempest = Mystery
Life = Vividness, but Earth = all the factors of life

These could represent schools in their own right. It's implied Wysteria is going to be taking influence from Ravenwood after Tanglewood Terror (the gauntlet?), so, perhaps seven new schools might emerge.

Harmony seems to be a style of magic only found in Kembaalung, different from balance and tied into Mooshu magics like Air and Earth. Combine with things like Body and Spirit... perhaps Wysteria isn't so far-fletched. Wysterian Magics and Mooshu magic might be simply unteachable to a Ravenwooder.

That's all I could think of, but I believe there might be more if I examined things closer.

There are probably many magics we can't learn, simply on the fact we don't go to and never will go to those schools. Though, if we're learning about Shadow instead of Light (or whatever analogue there is of light), one can only wonder where the game's storyline is going. Makes me wonder, are we more evil than we thought?
We don't really have any proof of Light being a school, but the more you mix the Bartleby schools the closer you get to Light. So if at some point we encounter people who mixed the Astral Triad to make Light magic, that would overlap . Of course, Light could be a Raven or Auroracle Magic.

Crystal I was going to get to at another point in time.

I never finished Grizzleheim but plan to do so soonish so I hadn't encountered Rune magic, just runes.

I think that's the point of the Wysterian schools, to be based on the same concepts and elements but focusing on different concepts. So is based on warmth and home but also destruction and wildness. Our , & seem to be more violent than theirs, but the opposite is true for , & ; and seems to be essentially the same.

Harmony does seem different. In fact I think that the Moodha repurposed Bartleby's schools much like Belladonna Crisp. Water magic, about the body and strength, would be . Rock magic, about the mind and meditation would be . And Wind/Air magic, about the soul and inner strength, would be . And from these he made Harmony. Close to , but not quite. I'm not sure if we'll ever revisit Mooshu or an expanded Himoolayas to learn any of them though.

Geographer
Apr 29, 2012
So that's all of the facts and basics, but now we can talk about theories. Bartleby made 3 Primary schools of magic, and Spider made at least 1, with Raven and the Auroracle possibly having made some but we've yet to see them. Now the main way of finding out about the existing schools of magic is by visiting their schools and teachers. So the first place of schools we find, Ravenwood, would be a great place to start. Now on Firecat Alley we encounter a one Gretta Darkkettle; a retired Alchemy teacher. So apparently Alchemy used to be taught at Ravenwood, and Merle Ambrose apparently wants her to come back and start teaching again, but with the 6 schools around Bartleby taking up all the space (counting the Death school chasm), where would it have been taught? The answer's simple: Golem Court. Right next to Dragon Mouth's Cave, and fire would be important in both the metallurgic and potion aspects of Alchemy. A spatious garden around it for the creations to be tested and to roam. And most importantly; not near Bartleby. Why would Bartleby not want the Alchemy school close to him? Well, what Alchemists besides Gretta do we know?

There's Alchemist Kepi in Krokotopia, as well as Xipli Tailbiter in Azteca, I'm sure there's others across the Spiral. But the most prevelant? How about Grandfather Spider's child The Scorpion?

'Here we have the Scorpion, a master Alchemist and ruthless Warlord, prophesied to rise from the desert sands and steal the sun!'

So if Bartleby himself has no magic, but his children do. It would follow that each of Spider's children would do too. I'm assuming that the Bat would be the Titan of Shadow magic, as they are 'a brilliant shapeshifting Vampire, a master of illusion and subterfuge', and that leaves Scorpion and Rat. I'm far from certain about Rat's magic, but Alchemy would fit Scorpion perfectly. It's blatantly used to describe him, and Alchemy is about Transmutations; manipulating reality much like Shadow. I'll add when I have more room.
So that's about all I can find in Ravenwood suggesting a new school, I already talked about the Himoolayan and Mooshu magic, I can't find anything else in Krokotopia or Mooshu suggesting a new school; and Marleybone is very anti-magic. But what of Dragonspyre's mysterious rubble piles. At least one of them had to be different to (despite everyone there knowing Weakness), as is a very new and niche school of magic. Only Alhazred and his assistants can teach it, and if Ravenwood doesn't have a school for it now, then why would the long-abandoned Dragonspyre? Also, from what we see in the Avalon BOX, Sylvia Drake was learning Pyromancy until she moved to Ravenwood, so perhaps there was no at Dragonspyre.

Now, as already mentioned, Crystalmancy is a very definite theme in Dragonspyre. With creatures like the Kyanite Crystalmancer and the Crystal Grove, it's very likely that Crystal (or ) was a school at Dragonspyre. But whether we'll ever learn it, I'm not sure. Now unless is a primary schools, which it quite possibly could be (the Rat), then the two parent schools would be required. And this means at least one of them is already at Dragonspyre, and also that the Dragon Titan particularly disliked and its other parent school. So I doubt Crystal was created by or because the Dragons left those schools and their trees standing, so a child school would probably be liked too. I also doubt it was , as is a secondary school. seems completely different to , which leaves and presumably one of Spider's schools as the parent schools. So +Alchemy seems unlikely, but + could easily make .

Firstly, & are very similar, except was used to store knowledge and to create or manipulate things; even time in the Grand Chasm! Very similar to the reality-shifting . Also, somewhere I read it was the Dark Mages of Dragonspyre that summoned the Dragon Titan, which would suggest as their school. I think is either Rat's school, or +.

Geographer
Apr 29, 2012
Now I'm not going to go too into depth about this in case the post doesn't go through because it comes dangerously close to a spoiler I found on the now-closed KISpoilers Twitter account. But I think the Rat's magic will be the mysterious caged door in the Arcanum.

Geographer
Apr 29, 2012
Blaze Sandblade on Sep 4, 2016 wrote:
So that's about all I can find in Ravenwood suggesting a new school, I already talked about the Himoolayan and Mooshu magic, I can't find anything else in Krokotopia or Mooshu suggesting a new school; and Marleybone is very anti-magic. But what of Dragonspyre's mysterious rubble piles. At least one of them had to be different to (despite everyone there knowing Weakness), as is a very new and niche school of magic. Only Alhazred and his assistants can teach it, and if Ravenwood doesn't have a school for it now, then why would the long-abandoned Dragonspyre? Also, from what we see in the Avalon BOX, Sylvia Drake was learning Pyromancy until she moved to Ravenwood, so perhaps there was no at Dragonspyre.

Now, as already mentioned, Crystalmancy is a very definite theme in Dragonspyre. With creatures like the Kyanite Crystalmancer and the Crystal Grove, it's very likely that Crystal (or ) was a school at Dragonspyre. But whether we'll ever learn it, I'm not sure. Now unless is a primary schools, which it quite possibly could be (the Rat), then the two parent schools would be required. And this means at least one of them is already at Dragonspyre, and also that the Dragon Titan particularly disliked and its other parent school. So I doubt Crystal was created by or because the Dragons left those schools and their trees standing, so a child school would probably be liked too. I also doubt it was , as is a secondary school. seems completely different to , which leaves and presumably one of Spider's schools as the parent schools. So +Alchemy seems unlikely, but + could easily make .

Firstly, & are very similar, except was used to store knowledge and to create or manipulate things; even time in the Grand Chasm! Very similar to the reality-shifting . Also, somewhere I read it was the Dark Mages of Dragonspyre that summoned the Dragon Titan, which would suggest as their school. I think is either Rat's school, or +.
Now I don't think all 6 Titan magics will merge, but almost certainly will as it's been the theme for about a whole arc now, whereas of the other 2 Spider magics, one has been referenced sometimes and the other's yet to be known to exist. So if + makes , then what would + make? Or +? I'm honestly not sure, so I'll just leave this post to let you guys think about it and let me know if you have any ideas yourselves.