Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Idea: Shift spells and Archmastery

AuthorMessage
Astrologist
Feb 12, 2015
The Shift spells, Moon school spells earned in Khrysalis, have been largely ignored by players since their release. And, in my personal opinion, that has been for good reason; it is difficult to justify using them compared to other spells. They cost three pips, which is unfortunately difficult to handle when Wizards can't get mastery on these spells. Do you see where I'm going with this?

With the release of Archmastery, I am of the opinion that it might be possible to breathe some new life into these spells. It would be thematically appropriate, considering that the Shift spells are dedicated to certain schools and their mechanics, and it could be an interesting way to utilize the new mechanic.

The way I imagine this change being implemented is simple; change the Shift spells to cost only 1 pip, plus the corresponding Archmastery pip for the spell's damage type. This could help eliminate the longstanding complaints about the Pip cost of these spells, while also granting introspective Wizards a new thing to experiment with!

In a time when Kingsisle is promoting a Dual-School style of play, this change could help advance that approach.

Delver
Apr 05, 2022
Lookit Light on Dec 2, 2022 wrote:
The Shift spells, Moon school spells earned in Khrysalis, have been largely ignored by players since their release. And, in my personal opinion, that has been for good reason; it is difficult to justify using them compared to other spells. They cost three pips, which is unfortunately difficult to handle when Wizards can't get mastery on these spells. Do you see where I'm going with this?

With the release of Archmastery, I am of the opinion that it might be possible to breathe some new life into these spells. It would be thematically appropriate, considering that the Shift spells are dedicated to certain schools and their mechanics, and it could be an interesting way to utilize the new mechanic.

The way I imagine this change being implemented is simple; change the Shift spells to cost only 1 pip, plus the corresponding Archmastery pip for the spell's damage type. This could help eliminate the longstanding complaints about the Pip cost of these spells, while also granting introspective Wizards a new thing to experiment with!

In a time when Kingsisle is promoting a Dual-School style of play, this change could help advance that approach.
Hey there! Great considerations!

I believe moon is becoming a bit outdated! I agree we need to start revaluating how moon school is played. I'd love to see what others think about the moon school and what ideas y'all can brainstorm for this celestial school!

Astrologist
Feb 12, 2015
Kyle IceWielder on Dec 2, 2022 wrote:
Hey there! Great considerations!

I believe moon is becoming a bit outdated! I agree we need to start revaluating how moon school is played. I'd love to see what others think about the moon school and what ideas y'all can brainstorm for this celestial school!
Glad to hear you're taking this idea seriously!

The thing that most immediately comes to mind is a new problem I've heard mentioned about the Azteca Polymorphs. They use Lore spells in their decks, but don't have the Archmastery to use them...

Also, in general the Polymorphs are very antiquated. They need a modernized spell deck, at the very least!

Survivor
Feb 19, 2021
I agree.
The Moon school's theme and casting animation is beautiful.
I'd love to see it become more useful or to evolve.

Another idea would be if it was in Beastmoon as a Moon boss, (just to see the cast animation more often)
or other things... like a moon spell that changes the enemy into another form

Explorer
Mar 28, 2019
The only way I think Moon as is could work in the modern game, is to make the polymorphs, shifts, etc, have archmastery, and at least scale somewhat with level, if not in deck, then in stats like HP and resistances. Doing this, however, might have problems. I forget if they were already banned in PVP, since it isn't my thing, but if they weren't, making them all have access to archmastery, meta spells, and scaling stats would for certain cause an issue where they'd be *too* unpredictable, potentially causing the metagame to shift around who could out-shapeshift their opponent the best.

Its an incredibly fun concept, I always wanted to use them in the olden days when they were new, but by the time I reached Celestia, they were already an iffy short-term investment.