Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

No Change In Pet Stats Will Duplicate The Pet

AuthorMessage
Defender
Oct 16, 2014
I noticed this twice before and just confirmed it today, but if your pet's statistics and total Pedigree do not change then you will get the same pet with the same talents EVERY SINGLE TIME!

This is not good because if you failed a talent and want to keep hatching, you will not get a different pet and waste a bunch of energy along with pet snacks.

Please fix this!

Delver
Mar 30, 2014
Can you explain more specifically what happened?

Defender
Oct 16, 2014
One key feature of it is the talents from your pet seem to always unlock first, and any unfilled spots are unlikely to change. I can give 3 instances, each is hatching with the same pet:

The first is when I was making a Death-resist pet for Bad Juju spamming. I found a Ninja Piggle that had max stats and all the resist talents, so I kept hatching with that Piggle. Eventually, I noticed I kept getting the same pet with the exact same stats and talents every single time (7 times in a row). I suspected something to be amiss so I used one of the previous hatches that I kept as backup in case things went awry, and as I thought I had gotten different talents. I took note of this scenario, but too little information to go off of (cuz my luck would do something like that).

The next instance is when I was trying to get a pet with Detonate Trained. I found a Midnight Fairy that had the talent, so I started hatching with it. After a while, I failed to get it and instead got Vampire Trained, so I kept hatching in hopes of switching them out. About 3 hatches later is when the issue started happening again: I kept getting an Acid Rain Core with Vampire Trained and some other talents, but never Detonate Trained. I remembered the situation with my Juju pet, so I again used an earlier hatched pet and started getting different talents again. This time I was very suspicious, but I had other pets I wanted so I could not test atm.

Now on Monday and Tuesday I was making a Ward pet but failed kept failing with Ice Ward (wanted Spell-Proof instead), so I kept hatching. I noticed my next 8 hatches all learned Spell-Defy, Ice-Ward, Fire-Ward and Death-Ward without fail. As well 7 of the pets' last talents were Life-Ward and the other one was Fairy Friend. Not to mention I also hatched a Ninja Piggle every single time and never hatched an Enchanted Arms. I had forgotten about the previous 2 occasions and was a bit agitated so I spent some crowns on Energy Elixirs trying to either get rid of Ice-Ward, learn Spell-Proof, or learn Storm-Ward but ultimately failed. Finally in a rant, I compared the stats and noticed the Pedigrees were the exact same, with the exact stats including the unlocked potential. This is when I remembered the last two scenarios and used an earlier pet, which gave Storm-Proof as its very first talent..

That's when I believed it to be a bug involving the Pedigree and stats.

Delver
Mar 30, 2014
Thanks for the description. I'll summarize by saying that I don't believe there is any bug here, but your observations are interesting. It would be easier to comment on this if I saw the hatch photos.

Repeated hatching of a pet, then its offspring and so on to another pet, is going to eventually copy the stats, pools and manifested talents of the pet you keep hatching to. Repeated inbreeding of pets will tend to result in certain talents being manifested in that lineage. I've gotten many twins and triplets over the years from various projects.

With regard to the detonate trained project, are you aware that the position of those will cast talents is different when they are locked vs unlocked? For the kiosk pets where you're not getting the desired talent early in training, I would advise trying to hatch to a different pet if you don't get it in a few tries. And don't use a pet that keeps giving you vampire trained offspring. Also if possible, pick an adult or ancient pet that has detonate manifested. What were the talents of that midnight fairy?

My suggestion for your ward project is to hatch with an adult or ancient ward pet from a different lineage (it even can have the same pool and pedigree as your pets) with the desired wards in pool and spell proof manifested, preferably by adult. Storm ward as well, if you wanted that one. I'm curious if you know the order in which those wards manifested in those 8 ward pets as you trained them. And what talents did the kiosk pet have manifested?

Defender
Oct 16, 2014
Thanks for the reply. I can't recall the talents from the first 2 situation as they were over a year ago, but I remember they did not have all the manifested talents either. I can also give more details with the Ward pet.

My pets were all Ninja Piggles, had max stats but 259 Will, had 64 overall Pedigree score, and got the following manifested talents in this specific order:
  1. Spell-Defy
  2. Ice-Ward
  3. Death-Ward
  4. Fire-Ward (would usually stop here)
  5. Life-Ward (if i trained to mega)

The pet I was hatching with was an Enchanted Armament with the talents:

• Spell-Defy
  • Spell-Proof
  • Storm-Ward
  • Death-Ward
  • Fire-Ward

The reason I find this situation strange is that 2 of the talents are not manifested on the Enchanted Armament despite my pet having only 1 failed manifested talent and 1 non-manifested talent, as well I kept hatching a Ninja Piggle every single time.

I am still trying to get Spell-Proof on my pet, so I will documenting the hatches along the way in case it happens again.

Astrologist
Dec 31, 2009
Pet talents are determined at the time of hatching. The chances of manifesting the same talents just because the pool and pedigree are the same has to be extremely low. To my understanding this is just not how manifesting pet talents works.

Consider reporting this through customer support?