Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

New Spellement Path ideas

AuthorMessage
Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
I LOVE the double tap spells from myth that we are losing. Perhaps, for single hit spells, there is a spellement path that allows us to change single hit to double tap spells. After all, there are MANY spells that are single hit. Instead of focusing on just upping the damage, how about changing HOW the damage happens.

Another idea for Death would be to allow a single hit life sap spell become a SoP (Lifesap over Time). This is something not even in the game yet, and this could be a fun mechanic for death school.

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
I would still love a "drain distribute" type spell. Instead of the Heal being all sent back to the necromaster who cast it it, the heal would be distributed among your allies instead :)

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
exp613 on Mar 1, 2022 wrote:
I would still love a "drain distribute" type spell. Instead of the Heal being all sent back to the necromaster who cast it it, the heal would be distributed among your allies instead :)
that's been a popular want, like a DoT life sap as well (bone dragon being a life sap DoT)

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
dayerider on Mar 3, 2022 wrote:
that's been a popular want, like a DoT life sap as well (bone dragon being a life sap DoT)
What is a "life sap"? A Drain DoT?

Defender
Oct 16, 2014
I've always wanted a "drain distribute" or a sap overtime spell! A friend and I originally thought Ship of Fools was a drain distribute spell (was confused by the card text) but we were wrong.

And not just damage spells, having spellement paths for utilities would be amazing as well .
Empower: Take 250, Gain 3 -> Take 500 (25% pierce), Gain 4 -> Take 750 (50% pierce), Gain 5
[the pierce is to balance resist gear and should be similar for death's self hits]

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
exp613 on Mar 4, 2022 wrote:
What is a "life sap"? A Drain DoT?
Life Sap are deaths spells that hit the enemy and heal you. You are sucking in the damage to their life. Most people call them Life Sap spells. A "Drain DoT" would be a spell that does damage over time, and gives you life back for the damage it does. There is no mechanic like this in the game yet. it's either you hit once and get life from the enemy, or you do damage over time, but not both.

Defender
Oct 16, 2014
dayerider on Mar 9, 2022 wrote:
Life Sap are deaths spells that hit the enemy and heal you. You are sucking in the damage to their life. Most people call them Life Sap spells. A "Drain DoT" would be a spell that does damage over time, and gives you life back for the damage it does. There is no mechanic like this in the game yet. it's either you hit once and get life from the enemy, or you do damage over time, but not both.
I've been trying to think of a way to do this with the current W101 spell mechanics. The main problem is that an overtime no longer belong to a wizard once in play; it can be considered something like a "rogue spell".

So the question is,
Is there a way to assign a caster to an overtime without rewriting/overwriting the current overtime system?

Long story short.... I couldn't find a way . HOWEVER, I did think of a way to mimic the caster assignment .

The new function is better defined as a "Swap Overtime Transfer", which casts an overtime on both the target and yourself. As you may have guessed, the overtime placed on the target deals damage while the overtime placed on yourself swaps the damage to health; a transceiver and receiver pair, which I'd like to call a "Receive Overtime" so it can be abbreviated to a "RoT" which fits the 's M.O. and suits this type of spell wonderfully.

So now it is a simple matter of pairing two overtimes rather than changing the entire overtime system. Also this makes for some interesting situations:
  • Some boss cheats can remove the "receiver", causing the spell to act as a regular DoT.
  • Triage, Cool Down, and Detonate can remove the "transceiver", causing the "receiver" to receive nothing.
  • Shift can cause you to steal from a teammate.
  • Shift can also cause you to steal from yourself (no health change), or defeat you before you receive the swapped health.

And as usual, the swapped health is unaffected by healing boosts.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
John Hawkstone on Mar 10, 2022 wrote:
I've been trying to think of a way to do this with the current W101 spell mechanics. The main problem is that an overtime no longer belong to a wizard once in play; it can be considered something like a "rogue spell".

So the question is,
Is there a way to assign a caster to an overtime without rewriting/overwriting the current overtime system?

Long story short.... I couldn't find a way . HOWEVER, I did think of a way to mimic the caster assignment .

The new function is better defined as a "Swap Overtime Transfer", which casts an overtime on both the target and yourself. As you may have guessed, the overtime placed on the target deals damage while the overtime placed on yourself swaps the damage to health; a transceiver and receiver pair, which I'd like to call a "Receive Overtime" so it can be abbreviated to a "RoT" which fits the 's M.O. and suits this type of spell wonderfully.

So now it is a simple matter of pairing two overtimes rather than changing the entire overtime system. Also this makes for some interesting situations:
  • Some boss cheats can remove the "receiver", causing the spell to act as a regular DoT.
  • Triage, Cool Down, and Detonate can remove the "transceiver", causing the "receiver" to receive nothing.
  • Shift can cause you to steal from a teammate.
  • Shift can also cause you to steal from yourself (no health change), or defeat you before you receive the swapped health.

And as usual, the swapped health is unaffected by healing boosts.
So, half of this idea already exists in Link and power Link. I give you hurt and I get healing. The healing and damage are not LINKED, however, but that's a start. I think they could easily give a "tied" over time effect to allow this to happen. At the time of casting, the opponent gets the "hurt" and you get a "help". The Over Time effect should be a vastly different designation that anything else so we know what it is by sight. I dont know what this should be, but nothing that we already have since it's a new effect. I wouldn't think it would be THAT difficult to tie the 2 aspects together. Some things to note:

1) Anything that affects Over Time should affect this spell, BUT, if they push the damage onto another target, the healing should stay as that was unaffected.

2) If the "heal caster" gets removed, then it should work like a normal damage spell. If the Damage gets pushed to the caster, then the only thing that should happen is the difference between damage and healing should remain.

3) If the Damage aspect gets moved onto the original caster, then only the numbers that affect the new target should happen. Since the heal part of life saps does half the damage, let's say the Damage gets pushed to the caster. If the damage does 200, and the healing does 100, then the new over time effect should only be 100 damage and not first the 200 damage then 100 heal. Let's not bloat the time it takes for everything to settle.

Defender
Oct 16, 2014
dayerider on Mar 11, 2022 wrote:
So, half of this idea already exists in Link and power Link. I give you hurt and I get healing. The healing and damage are not LINKED, however, but that's a start. I think they could easily give a "tied" over time effect to allow this to happen. At the time of casting, the opponent gets the "hurt" and you get a "help". The Over Time effect should be a vastly different designation that anything else so we know what it is by sight. I dont know what this should be, but nothing that we already have since it's a new effect. I wouldn't think it would be THAT difficult to tie the 2 aspects together. Some things to note:

1) Anything that affects Over Time should affect this spell, BUT, if they push the damage onto another target, the healing should stay as that was unaffected.

2) If the "heal caster" gets removed, then it should work like a normal damage spell. If the Damage gets pushed to the caster, then the only thing that should happen is the difference between damage and healing should remain.

3) If the Damage aspect gets moved onto the original caster, then only the numbers that affect the new target should happen. Since the heal part of life saps does half the damage, let's say the Damage gets pushed to the caster. If the damage does 200, and the healing does 100, then the new over time effect should only be 100 damage and not first the 200 damage then 100 heal. Let's not bloat the time it takes for everything to settle.
I forgot drains swap half while I was writing my post xD.

Yes, just like Power Link but the overtimes are actually linked. Also there was a post about speeding up the overtime animations so it's as fast as Snow Angel's DoT, so that would help solve the bloated time problem. I am against combining the 2 overtimes into a new effect for the developers sake as I see a few bugs that will arise by doing so. Everything else would be as you said.