Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

PvP's impact on PvE play

AuthorMessage
Astrologist
Feb 12, 2015
I've seen enough posts and comments by players confused over the new PvP only spells to be convinced that their current placement is an issue. If these spells could be learned from someone in the Arena instead (Say, Diego the Duelmaster), it would make more sense and hopefully clear up the confusion that I've been seeing about.

Explorer
May 28, 2012
Agree with Lookit Light that the spells for PVP should be moved to Unicorn Way vendors to erase the confusion it is causing. I had to look twice at the “new Spells” listed with the Ravenwood Professors. Thankfully, I caught myself in time before spending the points to train a spell.

If someone has a mastery for the school and purchases the spell for a point and finds out that it can’t be used in regular play, they would have to use crowns to buy back points to remove the spells from their deck. This is making money by false advertising.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
Lookit Light on Feb 3, 2022 wrote:
I've seen enough posts and comments by players confused over the new PvP only spells to be convinced that their current placement is an issue. If these spells could be learned from someone in the Arena instead (Say, Diego the Duelmaster), it would make more sense and hopefully clear up the confusion that I've been seeing about.
all they'd really have to do is put 2 tabs on the vendors; PvP and PvE. That alone would solve the problem AND allow flexibility in the future, without changing the vendor that offers the spells. That said, there SHOULD be SOME kind of identifier besides an icon that people clearly don't understand

Astrologist
Feb 12, 2015
With the update on Wednesday 16th, 2022, Elemental Blade Treasure Cards were reduced from a 45% Damage boost to a 35% Damage boost, in response to the use of the spell in PvP matches. In addition, the Inferno Salamander was also weakened in response to overuse in PvP. These changes were implemented in order to refine the currently-changing metagame of PvP. In that, the change is both fine and acceptable.

However, this change affected all editions of these spells, including those used in standard, PvE play. This reduces the effectiveness of certain strategies and gameplay for those just moving through the story. And this is troublesome because unlike PvP, PvE players did nothing to merit this change, and they are caught in a change that, for them, is unnecessary and negative. I, as a PvE player, am displeased with this impact on my playstyle. Others, as PvE players, are displeased with this impact on their playstyle.

Hence, this post, and my complaint; PvP and PvE must remain separate. The two are completely and entirely different in their strategies and forms of play, and a change from one affecting the other is inappropriate and inconsiderate of its players. I know that this is a hard stance to take on a public forum, but I and others are being affected by a change that is meant for a part of the game that we don't even play.

This change is likely appropriate for PvP, I can respect that. But for PvE players, Elemental Blade TC, Inferno Salamander and other spells impacted by changes solely meant for PvP must, outside of the PvP arena, be promptly reverted to their original forms. PvE should not be impacted by this change. PvE should remain its own playstyle, with its own array of spells and own developing monitors watching for game-breaking strategies that affect it and it alone.

Aside from reverting these spells, I recognize that PvP is its own playstyle. Therefore, I suggest these modifications so that PvP players can still have an easy and comfortable experience:

. While in the PvP Arena on Unicorn Way, spells show their effects in a PvP match.

. All PvP Only spells should be moved to Diego the Duelmaster, instead of being on their respective School Teachers. (This one has caused enough confusion already.)

. Spells and Treasure Cards that are intended for or affected by changes in PvP have their own tab in the Spellbook. This tab is present only while players are in the PvP Arena.

Again, PvE and PvP must be kept separate. PvE Players should not be affected by changes intended for PvP play, and vice versa. The two are completely different styles of play and should be treated as such. If it is possible, please revert for PvE players the changes meant for PvP. Some spells already have completely different effects in PvP, so I imagine such a difference wouldn't be too hard to enact.

Defender
May 22, 2012
Lookit Light on Feb 17, 2022 wrote:
With the update on Wednesday 16th, 2022, Elemental Blade Treasure Cards were reduced from a 45% Damage boost to a 35% Damage boost, in response to the use of the spell in PvP matches. In addition, the Inferno Salamander was also weakened in response to overuse in PvP. These changes were implemented in order to refine the currently-changing metagame of PvP. In that, the change is both fine and acceptable.

However, this change affected all editions of these spells, including those used in standard, PvE play. This reduces the effectiveness of certain strategies and gameplay for those just moving through the story. And this is troublesome because unlike PvP, PvE players did nothing to merit this change, and they are caught in a change that, for them, is unnecessary and negative. I, as a PvE player, am displeased with this impact on my playstyle. Others, as PvE players, are displeased with this impact on their playstyle.

Hence, this post, and my complaint; PvP and PvE must remain separate. The two are completely and entirely different in their strategies and forms of play, and a change from one affecting the other is inappropriate and inconsiderate of its players. I know that this is a hard stance to take on a public forum, but I and others are being affected by a change that is meant for a part of the game that we don't even play.

This change is likely appropriate for PvP, I can respect that. But for PvE players, Elemental Blade TC, Inferno Salamander and other spells impacted by changes solely meant for PvP must, outside of the PvP arena, be promptly reverted to their original forms. PvE should not be impacted by this change. PvE should remain its own playstyle, with its own array of spells and own developing monitors watching for game-breaking strategies that affect it and it alone.

Aside from reverting these spells, I recognize that PvP is its own playstyle. Therefore, I suggest these modifications so that PvP players can still have an easy and comfortable experience:

. While in the PvP Arena on Unicorn Way, spells show their effects in a PvP match.

. All PvP Only spells should be moved to Diego the Duelmaster, instead of being on their respective School Teachers. (This one has caused enough confusion already.)

. Spells and Treasure Cards that are intended for or affected by changes in PvP have their own tab in the Spellbook. This tab is present only while players are in the PvP Arena.

Again, PvE and PvP must be kept separate. PvE Players should not be affected by changes intended for PvP play, and vice versa. The two are completely different styles of play and should be treated as such. If it is possible, please revert for PvE players the changes meant for PvP. Some spells already have completely different effects in PvP, so I imagine such a difference wouldn't be too hard to enact.
Thank you I have been thinking this for a while and I couldn't have put it better, there needs to be a separation between the arena and the rest of the game.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
So, this has been asked for, for YEARS! Personally, i would love them to make PvP only spells and remove all PvE spells from PvP. Yes, that's a TON of work, but it is the ONLY way to 100% keep the spells, and their problems, separate. This way, if they need to change a spell, it ONLY affects that "realm". MANY spells were nerfed cause PvP was the squeaky wheel. Did they need to be fixed for pvP? I can't say one way or another as I dont PvP, but I CAN say, with 100% assurance, that monsters dont ever talk to the devs and say life is too hard for them. Balance spells, adjust spells, but make sure you only affect the area that needs to be affected.

Geographer
Nov 22, 2010

totally agree.

PVP and PVE are actually two different games completely. The PVP spells should only be available from the PVP trainers. PVP should require PVP gear for everyone, PVP only spells for everyone, PVP pets for everyone - and PVP stuff should not be useable outside of PVP. Not even equipable.

Same for PVE -

There are way too many players that only PVP or only PVE - and to try to make it a one size fits all situation hurts both games.

Geographer
Nov 22, 2010
dayerider on Feb 14, 2022 wrote:
all they'd really have to do is put 2 tabs on the vendors; PvP and PvE. That alone would solve the problem AND allow flexibility in the future, without changing the vendor that offers the spells. That said, there SHOULD be SOME kind of identifier besides an icon that people clearly don't understand
not it wouldn't. the spells are PVP only, they - just like the PVP only gear - should be trained by PVP trainers, not by the school instructor.

however that tab should also be implimented.

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
Move the PvP spells away from the Ravenwood Schools/Teachers. Move them to Diego AND the Wysteria equivalent schools.

Steven Ghoststalker
Max Life

Survivor
Oct 07, 2016
In addition to this, I'd love to have the ability to remove the PVP spells from my spellbook. Like many people, I was confused by the new spells, so I trained all of those from my school - I thought, "ooh! new spells!" and didn't look closer. Now I have a bunch of spells getting in the way when I try to create a new deck. Since they were in my school, I didn't use Training Points for them, so the Training Point buyback doesn't work.

I feel pretty silly, all told.

Astrologist
Feb 12, 2015
Glad to see that this is not an issue that is exclusive to just me.

To reinforce my point, the following is an excerpt from the October 2020 Crit/Block Dev Diary by Ratbeard:

Our approach throughout the stat rebalance has been to minimize changes that are “player-facing.” By this we mean that – as much as possible - we want the game to feel different, but not look different. This requires a little bit of extra work as we commit to rebalancing PvP – whose players by and large do want the game to feel different. For PvP players, the game should feel different but not look too different; and for PvE players, the game should feel about the same and look about the same.

A second quote, from Ratbeard's November 2020 Karamelle PvP Dev Diary, says it even simpler:

I want to provide a TLDR version to our PvE players that will explain how these PvP changes will affect PvE: They won’t.

Jusging by the manner in which a number of PvP revisions have been implemented (wherein they also affect PvE), this commitment has not been followed through. I apologize to the KI developers who are currently working hard to revise and stabilize the PvP metagame, but I must call out this dilemma.

I understand that PvP is still changing and evolving, and I have no problem whatsoever with those revisions continuing as long as they don't also affect PvE. If, over the course of this year's updates, the distinction between PvP and PvE could be maintained, myself and others would be grateful.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
crystalwizard12345... on Feb 20, 2022 wrote:
not it wouldn't. the spells are PVP only, they - just like the PVP only gear - should be trained by PVP trainers, not by the school instructor.

however that tab should also be implimented.
PvE and PvP tabs WOULD help, especially if they actually SAID PvP and PvE on them. Unless they are planning on fully separating the two "realms" (which by everything they've said and done over the years, they wont), then they need to do ..... SOMETHING to show the difference besides an icon. Also, I know they're plannign on seeing ohw they can bring these spells to PvE, so putting them in a PvE location makes sense. If, however, they find they cant port them to PvE, then they SHOULD move them

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
Trying to see if there is something I can add to this conversation other than an "Amen! Preach it!"

This spell has been changed because of PvP.

We've modified this spell because of PvP.

Ok, I get that PvP is an important part of the game and many wizards enjoy it.

Many do not. Please, especially with the advent of more staff being hired, implement something that separates PvP spells in the decks and who we get them from.

Please, please please stop changing spells in PvE because they get abuse in PvP. Changing spells in PvE because of it's abused PvP is the equivalent of a Federal mandate limiting the top speed of my car to 50 MPH because 3 drivers were caught speeding on Pit Road at Daytona.

My two cents.

Steven GhostStalker
Max

Astrologist
Feb 12, 2015
Hmm, it would appear that two of my separate threads have been merged. Allow me to briefly summarize both discussions for anyone who's confused:

. The fact that the PvP-exclusive spells can be learned from the base-game School Trainers has caused confusion amongst players. Since I created the thread, there has been discussion on how exactly the problem should be resolved.

. My second post on this merged thread was the beginning of what was formerly a separate thread raising complaints about PvP revisions impacting PvE play. The general consensus that I've been seeing is that this is an issue that needs to be addressed.

Since this now seems to be a thread on PvP's general impact on PvE play, I'll make a request for the Kingsisle Developers: starting with the next update, it would be absolutely delightful to see the line between PvP and PvE play become more distinguished. Let PvP-only spells be learned from a trainer that very clearly teaches PvP only spells. Let revisions to PvP only impact PvP. I'm certain many of us would be delighted to see this change.

(Request to moderators: If this thread's title could be changed to something along the lines of "PvP's impact on PvE play." it would more accurately summarize the details of the discussion.)

Astrologist
Feb 12, 2015
Bringing this thread back up again, as something important and concerning from Test Realm has been brought to my attention.

Among the many changes that are occurring in this update are revisions to gear. This includes the Merciless gear from Lemuria, as well as the Morganthe amulets from Khrysalis. Simply put, stat revisions are being made to this gear, including modifying some stats and replacing some Item Cards.

However, as has unfortunately happened in the past, these changes also affect PvE. Not only will gear revisions harm the PvE environment, the reasoning behind why this is happening does not relate to PvE in the slightest.

If these pieces of gear are so impactful on PvP that it's unhealthy for their metagame, just mark then as 'No PvP.' It's that simple. Don't make these changes when they harm an entirely unrelated community of players. PvE forms an important backbone of Wizard01's community as well, so just leave us be if these changes don't concern us.

(Edit: Since making this post, I have learned that Merciless gear has been buffed, not nerfed, in the latest Test Realm. Regardless, my concerns are still the same.)

Survivor
Jan 23, 2015

I have played Wizard101 since 2013 and I have always thought like this ^ I play PVE because I prefer to play the story line. When we first played Wizard101 I was always under the impression that PVP was a SIDE thing to do between main quests. Now, all these years later and PVP is it's own little game inside a game. Wizard101 Devs need to start treating PVP as a game of it's own. I do not know of too many people who play PVP a little here and a little there, PVP is a 'zero sum' game and takes no prisoners. All valid points as well as this post here.