Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Add tough single mob battles

AuthorMessage
Defender
Mar 08, 2011
Since they increased difficulty by making mobs fight you 2v1 and 3 v 1, AOE spells have dominated the entire game. Every single school uses like 2-3 spells 80% of the time because single hits are extremely inefficient for anything besides bosses and pvp. You blade, then aoe, rinse and repeat.

This brings me to a possible solution, what if some mob battles were the usual 2 v 1 and some were tough 1 v 1s? They wouldn't be bosses, but they would be like one mob with twice the health and damage of the normal ones. The enemies could have a symbol indicating if they are a 2 v 1 or a 1 v 1. To balance multiplayer, you could make it so a second mob only joins after two players enter battle instead of one.

I think this would allow for the use of many spells that don't see the light of day. Thoughts?

Geographer
Nov 22, 2015
I like this idea. KingsIsle could use Elite-rank enemies for this.

Explorer
May 07, 2010
i also love this idea! it's something that i think would really help to spice up PvE. especially in arc 4, combat instances in questing have felt extremely formulaic and repetitive, to the point of feeling like filler. always 2v1, sometimes 3v1, and 95% of arc 4 dungeons are two 2v1 mob fights followed by a 2v1 or sometimes 3v1 boss fight. it makes it hard to want to do anything besides alpha-strike with my 7pip AoE to get these boring fights done as quick as possible.

i think youre 100% right about how many more playstyle options more 1v1 fights could introduce. like you said, single-hits that are so rarely used would actually become useful, and the difficulty of the lone mob could require much more strategy that makes the fight more engaging.

a few examples of how this idea could work actually happened recently in karamelle with side bosses like the jamburglar and the treemugger. those fights were 1v1s and were fun challenges! (at least for me, doing them solo). of course, they were cheating bosses, which i dont think all 1v1 enemies need to be -- i agree with you that just mobs with smarter AI and more health & other stats could work well enough.

i agree with Fable Finder that elite mobs would fit for this, since i think they lost any meaning attached to their "elite" status a long time ago, besides having a different name color and maybe a little more health. the idea of them also being in the overworld, not just dungeons, is cool too!

thanks for sharing this idea, it would be awesome to see in-game someday

Defender
Mar 08, 2011
megalithia on Dec 10, 2021 wrote:
i also love this idea! it's something that i think would really help to spice up PvE. especially in arc 4, combat instances in questing have felt extremely formulaic and repetitive, to the point of feeling like filler. always 2v1, sometimes 3v1, and 95% of arc 4 dungeons are two 2v1 mob fights followed by a 2v1 or sometimes 3v1 boss fight. it makes it hard to want to do anything besides alpha-strike with my 7pip AoE to get these boring fights done as quick as possible.

i think youre 100% right about how many more playstyle options more 1v1 fights could introduce. like you said, single-hits that are so rarely used would actually become useful, and the difficulty of the lone mob could require much more strategy that makes the fight more engaging.

a few examples of how this idea could work actually happened recently in karamelle with side bosses like the jamburglar and the treemugger. those fights were 1v1s and were fun challenges! (at least for me, doing them solo). of course, they were cheating bosses, which i dont think all 1v1 enemies need to be -- i agree with you that just mobs with smarter AI and more health & other stats could work well enough.

i agree with Fable Finder that elite mobs would fit for this, since i think they lost any meaning attached to their "elite" status a long time ago, besides having a different name color and maybe a little more health. the idea of them also being in the overworld, not just dungeons, is cool too!

thanks for sharing this idea, it would be awesome to see in-game someday
I really like using elite enemies for this, making that title mean something again would be great!

Its not just arc 4, its the second you get a decent aoe and learn the game. 2/3 of the game has just been blade --> aoe. For later levels its so bad that aoe is the way to go even with bosses. They made a shadow spell where 1 person shields the rest so logically you should focus the 1 person right? Wrong, aoe still does more damage because you attack everyone and that damage transfers to the shield person.