Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

School Passives

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Jun 23, 2012
I've had a few ideas to breathe in new life for someone choosing a specific school to fit their style of gameplay and passives was one of these. Each school would host its own personal boon in battle that no other school would have to enhance their capabilities in fights. I really do think it would break up some of the generalization a lot of the schools have now with others being capable healers or better tanks. These don't have to be immediately upon creating a wizard either. I think these would be fair abilities to wizards level 50 and above since this would be not long after receiving their "master of" badge.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Charred - Target with DoTs in effect take more damage from fire spells by 10%

- Guardian - Gains innate resistance and health per ally (200, 400, 800 Health) (3%, 5%, 10% Resist) or flat health and resistance (250 Health, 5% Resist) when solo

- Shocked - Spells that deal more than a quarter of the target's health have a chance to be stunned for 1 round (Rng based to fit the theme of the school)

- Vibrant - Target gains bonus health when overhealed (returns to normal after battle) (Satyr example: Target is healed over their maximum health by 240 health so they gain this as additional health when healed by a life wizard)

- Summoner - Controls their minions casts (can't draw or discard from their deck)

- Reaper - Absorbs health from enemies when below 50% health when attacked (2.5% of missing health)

- Scales - Buffing target allies increase buff percentage by 5% and player gains a 5% scaling buff per buff cast on round (Bladestorm example: Target allies receive a 20% blade converted into 25% and user gains a 15% based on the the amount of times the buff was cast)

All the numbers here could probably be reworked to fit the balance of the game state but I believe none of these would become absolutely broken. Sincerest apologies if any of this is very confusing. I went out on a whim with this since I wanna see this game continue to be an amazing adventure.

Champion
Nov 22, 2008
Darkness Guardian on Feb 25, 2021 wrote:
I've had a few ideas to breathe in new life for someone choosing a specific school to fit their style of gameplay and passives was one of these. Each school would host its own personal boon in battle that no other school would have to enhance their capabilities in fights. I really do think it would break up some of the generalization a lot of the schools have now with others being capable healers or better tanks. These don't have to be immediately upon creating a wizard either. I think these would be fair abilities to wizards level 50 and above since this would be not long after receiving their "master of" badge.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Charred - Target with DoTs in effect take more damage from fire spells by 10%

- Guardian - Gains innate resistance and health per ally (200, 400, 800 Health) (3%, 5%, 10% Resist) or flat health and resistance (250 Health, 5% Resist) when solo

- Shocked - Spells that deal more than a quarter of the target's health have a chance to be stunned for 1 round (Rng based to fit the theme of the school)

- Vibrant - Target gains bonus health when overhealed (returns to normal after battle) (Satyr example: Target is healed over their maximum health by 240 health so they gain this as additional health when healed by a life wizard)

- Summoner - Controls their minions casts (can't draw or discard from their deck)

- Reaper - Absorbs health from enemies when below 50% health when attacked (2.5% of missing health)

- Scales - Buffing target allies increase buff percentage by 5% and player gains a 5% scaling buff per buff cast on round (Bladestorm example: Target allies receive a 20% blade converted into 25% and user gains a 15% based on the the amount of times the buff was cast)

All the numbers here could probably be reworked to fit the balance of the game state but I believe none of these would become absolutely broken. Sincerest apologies if any of this is very confusing. I went out on a whim with this since I wanna see this game continue to be an amazing adventure.
Some of these make lots of sense, like Fire doing extra DOT damage, Life allowing overheal to be useful for that combat, and Storm being able to stun randomly because electricity.

Some of these are harder to implement, like death always getting health when they get attacked, or gaining stats depending on the enemy fight. So I'll propose some changes that would make this a LOT easier to track.

Myth - I don't think players of one school should be punished for using their school identity. Rather I would simply let them cancel their minion's attack or decide the target like with willcasts, but below the spells and buttons.

Ice - The fluctuating stats are hard to understand. In stead, all shields ice wizards cast on their allies are also cast additionally on them (except in the case of mass shields, like legion shield)

Death - Passively healing isn't a good thing. Among other things, it can lead to some form of auto leveling or farming where the wizard just has to spam blades and their passive does the rest. In stead I think death wizards should now steal a little more health from their enemies and, if their health is low enough, be guaranteed to draw a drain from their deck, if they have one.

Balance - This one is just overcomplicated. Just make all school blades 5% stronger. That allows LOTS of utility for balance wizards that are solo as well as in groups.

I also propose that these passives should become available only after obtaining the Scion of Bartleby status, closer to level 125 or 130, rather than the Master badges, which are obtained at level 50, and be obtained through a side quest given by Bartleby himself. Maybe as his scion we must connect with the druids of the old Ravenwood to find a secret to magic and get sent to talk to our school tree?

Delver
Sep 13, 2016
-summoner
-reaper
-shocked
-scales
-guardian
-charred
-vibrant

PLEASE mix things up, I tired of having so big health school that gets nerfed all the time AKA Ice. Because I want like 2 spells for each school to no do what the school is about. So please have different abilities for each school.

Explorer
Jun 23, 2012
rest on Feb 25, 2021 wrote:
Some of these make lots of sense, like Fire doing extra DOT damage, Life allowing overheal to be useful for that combat, and Storm being able to stun randomly because electricity.

Some of these are harder to implement, like death always getting health when they get attacked, or gaining stats depending on the enemy fight. So I'll propose some changes that would make this a LOT easier to track.

Myth - I don't think players of one school should be punished for using their school identity. Rather I would simply let them cancel their minion's attack or decide the target like with willcasts, but below the spells and buttons.

Ice - The fluctuating stats are hard to understand. In stead, all shields ice wizards cast on their allies are also cast additionally on them (except in the case of mass shields, like legion shield)

Death - Passively healing isn't a good thing. Among other things, it can lead to some form of auto leveling or farming where the wizard just has to spam blades and their passive does the rest. In stead I think death wizards should now steal a little more health from their enemies and, if their health is low enough, be guaranteed to draw a drain from their deck, if they have one.

Balance - This one is just overcomplicated. Just make all school blades 5% stronger. That allows LOTS of utility for balance wizards that are solo as well as in groups.

I also propose that these passives should become available only after obtaining the Scion of Bartleby status, closer to level 125 or 130, rather than the Master badges, which are obtained at level 50, and be obtained through a side quest given by Bartleby himself. Maybe as his scion we must connect with the druids of the old Ravenwood to find a secret to magic and get sent to talk to our school tree?
Yes, I definitely agree with the balance upgrade on their buffs. This would make it so their unique supporting mechanic makes them the ideal buffer, something other schools could also do but balance would outshine them on as their main function. It also honestly makes it easier to understand.

The other 3 schools it's a bit more difficult to determine but I do believe, if anything, Myth should gain something to assist them in their control of minions. This would also give back some power to the minion spells. I had made a myth wizard myself recently and had to bid farewell to the minions sometime after the last area of Dragonspyre because the pip cost was too crucial to surviving. As for Ice and Death, I can see those passives working in a way that would not be terribly broken. The only small worry there may be in the case of an Ice learning the Shield Minion spell in which case they would get a -70% shield with literally no cost since minions count as allies.. but I think that could be tweaked to be "Ice Only" spells similar to Fire working with its own damage boost.

The scion idea would probably be more accurate to the story line. I just thought that the Master badges could use a serve a better purpose but maybe it would be better positioned to learning all the spells that can be learned (not non-craftable nor non-dropped) as a scaling badge. It would be a nice incentive to keep leveling up and learning new spells. Back to the topic at hand though, it could be very possible to have a special dialogue with your school tree to enhance a school's fighting prowess. Story-wise our wizard basically ascends into a demigod so it wouldn't interfere with the plot.

Thanks for the input!

Delver
Jun 10, 2012
That's funny cuz 2 years ago the idea of passive bonus were all ready in a topic,
The idea was few quest that give 2 ways of improving our wizard (ye exactly like spellwrighting)

So I didn't change of mind ye that's a great idea to improve school identity today the main strategy is blade until you get enough pip to aoe for all school.

With the stats review and the spell audit I hope to see a real interest on playing a defensive ice or a full heal life

Champion
Nov 22, 2008
Stormwind 8108 on Feb 28, 2021 wrote:
That's funny cuz 2 years ago the idea of passive bonus were all ready in a topic,
The idea was few quest that give 2 ways of improving our wizard (ye exactly like spellwrighting)

So I didn't change of mind ye that's a great idea to improve school identity today the main strategy is blade until you get enough pip to aoe for all school.

With the stats review and the spell audit I hope to see a real interest on playing a defensive ice or a full heal life
I think the main thing we need to make defensive ice or healing life to be viable is a change to the mechanics. What if there was a spell for life that lets healing your allies also do damage to enemies.

For defensive ice, we need a way to make the damage we take be dealt back to our opponents. Maybe it's a change to the ice absorbs to have them do half their absorb to all enemies when the absorb breaks.

This is getting a bit into the weeds, but I agree, we need more ways to meaningfully differentiate our schools.

It might require a rework of the ENTIRE GAME, but it would be fun.

Delver
Jun 10, 2012
rest on Mar 2, 2021 wrote:
I think the main thing we need to make defensive ice or healing life to be viable is a change to the mechanics. What if there was a spell for life that lets healing your allies also do damage to enemies.

For defensive ice, we need a way to make the damage we take be dealt back to our opponents. Maybe it's a change to the ice absorbs to have them do half their absorb to all enemies when the absorb breaks.

This is getting a bit into the weeds, but I agree, we need more ways to meaningfully differentiate our schools.

It might require a rework of the ENTIRE GAME, but it would be fun.
What if there was a spell for life that lets healing your allies also do damage to enemies : wings of fates

Maybe it's a change to the ice absorbs to have them do half their absorb to all enemies when the absorb breaks : seems a bit OP but the idea is not bad

It might require a rework of the ENTIRE GAME : not especially there is plenty of beastmoon mechanic that could be applied in Pve so what i call "conditional cast" already existing and the spellwright path give the possibility of diversifying spells so both mixed can bring many thing new without reworking the entire game.