Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Remove Lightning Elf

AuthorMessage
Delver
Mar 31, 2015
No...just no. You're stuck shielding every round if they get one aura or bubble and a shadow hit ready or you lose 3-5k health. Don't forget to stun block or they'll just Storm Lord into Rusalka. Don't forget to Aegis blade or they'll Scion. Did I mention Shrike?

Oh right, their weakness was originally low health. That super low 8k health.
Right, their weakness was shields. Lets allow a 2 pip spammable Storm Elf DOT into PVP. Let them keep Rain Beetle too.

What's the counterplay? Do I seriously have to start running 95 resist to run them out of Rain Beetles and TC Lightning Elves so I can play normally without shielding every turn?

Storm should never get a DOT unless it's a shadow DOT. Ridiculous and anti-fun to play against.

Explorer
May 14, 2011
It should be removed just for consistency sake. Ice elf was removed from the game so lightening elf should be also.

Survivor
Jan 10, 2009
I actually agree with this as well. Storm's benefit is that they have spells with super high base damage. They shouldn't also receive the benefit of the fire school's 2 pip DoT spell.

You can no longer shield vs. a storm.
You can no longer use regular blades to attack (Scion)

I also agree that rain beetle is OP as well- Why does storm get a 2 pip beetle that gives a buff, that can immediately be followed up with a shad that can ONE shot you?

It seems the only way to beat storm school is to out-damage them.... tough.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
Right let's nerf the school that has been straddling the lowest tier in PvP for years as confirmed by Dev data and is only even slightly competitively viable due to that one card. You might have an argument when storm actually has some way to address shields outside of elf. Until that point- asking for a removal of storm elf is just asking for the removal of the Storm school in 1v1 PvP.

8k hp?- Lowest in the arena backed by a whopping 44% resist. The resist level that leaves about 10% resist to even the Ice school's 34% pierce.

Stun block- Played by every school in the arena and completely removes storm lord from even seeing play

Aegis blade- Completely removes scion from play for the rest of the match- not that balance has to ever worry about scion when it can do a 2.5k+ mana burn followed up by a 1500 supernova upon the storm's pet deciding to throw out auras.

The counterplay?- you just listed it in your thread lol- With 2 plays you completely shut down their only combo move and their OHKO threat.

Speaking of DoTs and schools that should never have them- tell me about balance (with only shield to balance damage being tower) having access to the cheapest shield removal DoT in the game with death bats at 1 pip.

Astrologist
Sep 19, 2013
bobgbt on Feb 16, 2021 wrote:
It should be removed just for consistency sake. Ice elf was removed from the game so lightening elf should be also.
Ice elf was removed from PvP because Ice is too good right now and it's a stopgap measure until a proper stats audit happens. Storm is not a problematic school for the meta right now.

Delver
Mar 31, 2015
Eric Stormbringer on Feb 17, 2021 wrote:
Right let's nerf the school that has been straddling the lowest tier in PvP for years as confirmed by Dev data and is only even slightly competitively viable due to that one card. You might have an argument when storm actually has some way to address shields outside of elf. Until that point- asking for a removal of storm elf is just asking for the removal of the Storm school in 1v1 PvP.

8k hp?- Lowest in the arena backed by a whopping 44% resist. The resist level that leaves about 10% resist to even the Ice school's 34% pierce.

Stun block- Played by every school in the arena and completely removes storm lord from even seeing play

Aegis blade- Completely removes scion from play for the rest of the match- not that balance has to ever worry about scion when it can do a 2.5k+ mana burn followed up by a 1500 supernova upon the storm's pet deciding to throw out auras.

The counterplay?- you just listed it in your thread lol- With 2 plays you completely shut down their only combo move and their OHKO threat.

Speaking of DoTs and schools that should never have them- tell me about balance (with only shield to balance damage being tower) having access to the cheapest shield removal DoT in the game with death bats at 1 pip.
Death Bats is a TC card buyable by anyone. It's also extremely hard to get, and I'm actually using Fire Elf in its place since I have just one of them and I've been searching for them for an entire month so far.

I'm aware of the problems with . I have a Storm myself and it's one of my favourite schools. P.S. Balance was already nerfed pretty hard in quick succession; are we honestly still saying max level is OP compared to or at the moment?

The problem is once any school does anything besides shield (for any Storm doing Elf Beetle spam, which is basically all of them), it leaves a buffed shadow hit wide open (Maycast Galvanic), and you cant out-damage storm by trading hits.

Any smart runs Ward just like the rest of the schools, and I'd run Ward too except I'm not playing against unwarded.

From my experience in PVP their side deck is all towers. If I Supernova their Maycast aura, I hit into a Tower. Then their Elf DOT takes my shield away, and they instantly Rusalka. If I spam shields more, they Rain beetle and Elf again. If I spam shields more, they will Bubble. Eventually I'll get low enough to where they can Shrike.

For certain schools, the only real counterplay to this strat is Warded Brace spam, which is ironically also the only counterplay to the current PVP meta after the removal of Shift, Aftershock and Enfeeble TC.

What would fix PVP Storm, is a mid to high pip trained DOT. My judgment is 6 pips. That way they can't have crazy shield breaking abilities AND also threaten high damage shadow hits.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
Exabytes on Feb 18, 2021 wrote:
Death Bats is a TC card buyable by anyone. It's also extremely hard to get, and I'm actually using Fire Elf in its place since I have just one of them and I've been searching for them for an entire month so far.

I'm aware of the problems with . I have a Storm myself and it's one of my favourite schools. P.S. Balance was already nerfed pretty hard in quick succession; are we honestly still saying max level is OP compared to or at the moment?

The problem is once any school does anything besides shield (for any Storm doing Elf Beetle spam, which is basically all of them), it leaves a buffed shadow hit wide open (Maycast Galvanic), and you cant out-damage storm by trading hits.

Any smart runs Ward just like the rest of the schools, and I'd run Ward too except I'm not playing against unwarded.

From my experience in PVP their side deck is all towers. If I Supernova their Maycast aura, I hit into a Tower. Then their Elf DOT takes my shield away, and they instantly Rusalka. If I spam shields more, they Rain beetle and Elf again. If I spam shields more, they will Bubble. Eventually I'll get low enough to where they can Shrike.

For certain schools, the only real counterplay to this strat is Warded Brace spam, which is ironically also the only counterplay to the current PVP meta after the removal of Shift, Aftershock and Enfeeble TC.

What would fix PVP Storm, is a mid to high pip trained DOT. My judgment is 6 pips. That way they can't have crazy shield breaking abilities AND also threaten high damage shadow hits.
You are quite right- balance right now is pretty balanced- this has also been confirmed by the Dev Date with balance right in the middle of school based win/loss ratios.

In terms of out damaging a Storm- many schools are doing that quite handily- the data for Storm's win/loss ratio is the proof in the pudding.

Smart storms do not run balance ward- just like you have to choose to run myth ward, most storms have to choose between running myth fire and ice wards.

In a side deck full of towers you have the exact same opportunity to remove shields via a rare tc. Lightning elf is just as rare as death bat tc.

Until said hypothetical Shadow hit DoT makes it's way into PvP(doubtful but who knows)- the removal of lightning elf is a hard no from me. Removing the only viable tool from a school that is currently either last or second to last every single week the Devs have been tracking and has been that way for close to 10 years is not a realistic option until an alternative is put in place.

Geographer
Sep 30, 2018
With spells like mana burn, nova and now being able to pierce unprotected shields I honestly don't see how balance isn't able to over power most if not every school that's not blade stacking into oblivion. Not to mention that balance has solid resist of 60+ with decent max health and now bubble control between the 2 pip spell and gaze.

I believe lightning elf is viable and should stay balance also has steel giant which is a dot in itself.

The purpose of storm is to keep pressure and I've found ways to easily beat them with fire. Also nothing is wrong playing into weaknesses and if they lightning elf always keep bubble control as a priority before shields.

Id rather take a 3-4 k rasulka knowingly, that i can send that 3k back with the karamelle spell.

Balance has too many utilities of its own right now to even have any rights of complaining about other school.

Survivor
Oct 21, 2016
By removing lightning elf, storm is countered **so** easily. All you would have to do is just spam shields until the storm runs out of pierces and rain beetles. Especially with next update, where there will be no rain beetle, it is insanely crucial to storm pvp that storm elf is kept. As of now, on test realm, all schools seem pretty balanced and storm elf is still in the game.

If you're gonna complain that lightning elf is in the game, you might as well also ask for fire elf to be removed.

Delver
Mar 31, 2015
Skillsforfills on Apr 6, 2021 wrote:
By removing lightning elf, storm is countered **so** easily. All you would have to do is just spam shields until the storm runs out of pierces and rain beetles. Especially with next update, where there will be no rain beetle, it is insanely crucial to storm pvp that storm elf is kept. As of now, on test realm, all schools seem pretty balanced and storm elf is still in the game.

If you're gonna complain that lightning elf is in the game, you might as well also ask for fire elf to be removed.
Ice, Fire, and Myth are according to you, 'pretty balanced'. Hm okay.

Survivor
Jan 29, 2014
Storm is a school about hitting. Shields obviously counter hitting. Storm's only counter to shield-spamming is Lightning Elf. How else is Storm supposed to deal with Shields?

Survivor
Oct 21, 2016
Exabytes on Apr 8, 2021 wrote:
Ice, Fire, and Myth are according to you, 'pretty balanced'. Hm okay.
I said on test realm... not live realm...

ice, fire and myth are all balanced on test realm. If you disagree i suggest you go play it.

Delver
Mar 31, 2015
Logan Spritespear on Apr 11, 2021 wrote:
Storm is a school about hitting. Shields obviously counter hitting. Storm's only counter to shield-spamming is Lightning Elf. How else is Storm supposed to deal with Shields?
Shrike, Infallible, Extraordinary? Storm, Fire, and Myth have way too much health for the damage they can deal. If they don't remove Lightning Elf, Storm's health needs to be brought down to about ~6000. Same for Fire and Myth.

Survivor
Dec 22, 2012
Exabytes on Apr 12, 2021 wrote:
Shrike, Infallible, Extraordinary? Storm, Fire, and Myth have way too much health for the damage they can deal. If they don't remove Lightning Elf, Storm's health needs to be brought down to about ~6000. Same for Fire and Myth.
Ok let’s take away all your shields then