Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Exapanding Monstrology!

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Feb 27, 2011
I have a few ideas to expand on the awesome monstrology mechanic!

1. Allow us to make transformations out of the animus.
    This is a more of a cosmetic feature that will allow us to show off some of the cool beasts we have collected without having to summon or create house guests. Imagine how cool it would be to have Malistaire running around the commons lol. They already have walking, death, and casting animations. It is already a no brainer!
  2. Allow for animus to be tradeable
    This is a small suggestion for wizards to be able to share their collections among their wizards. I can understand if this cannot or will not be done due to level discrepancies though.
  3. Expand the monstrology spell selection (I know this is a Work-In-Progress. Take your time!)
    It would be cool to see other beasts in the assortment. For example I would love to collect astral beings or the wisps that surround Loremaster to create support treasure cards.
  4. Allow us to make boss stuns or boss beguile cards
    Currently, we are not allowed to make dispel tc for bosses. As an alternative it would be interesting if we could make cards that would allow us to stun bosses or beguile them exclusively for cool gameplay features.
  5. Allow us to use monstrology to make special tc out of NPC specific cards
    For example, some NPCs cast cool natural hits that we could make as tc. They are awesome animations they tend to be overlooked once we are done questing. This could also expand into us being able to use animus to replicate the same cards they cast. Like I would love to replicate lord of blazes and other cool cards that are not trainable.

Survivor
Feb 27, 2011
Astrologist
Feb 12, 2015
I am personally interested in your third idea. My favorite hobby is to collect House Guests of all the various monsters that can be extracted (My collection extends to the hundreds and is still growing), so I always welcome new Extracts. My personal preferences for any new Extracts would be Cat, Dog, Lizard, or Insect.

Survivor
Feb 27, 2011
Yeah we are missing so much! I really hope a moderator reads my post and replies to it so I can feel special for a day.

Survivor
Jun 06, 2009
Maybe monstrology+damage enchant? Those pet trainer cards are nice but I lose my damage, set bonus and crit :(

Defender
Jul 26, 2012
I really like your idea for Monstrology Transformations! It would be another fun cosmetic thing similar to house guests. The one part that might require some work is adding swimming and jumping animations for creatures that don't already have them.

Delver
Nov 25, 2012
RJDABOSS101 on Dec 12, 2020 wrote:
Any thoughts anyone?
I think it's great

Survivor
Oct 06, 2013
Having longer descriptions for each monster.
This would make potential for more interesting lore.

Survivor
Oct 06, 2013
RJDABOSS101 on Dec 10, 2020 wrote:

This is a more of a cosmetic feature that will allow us to show off some of the cool beasts we have collected without having to summon or create house guests. Imagine how cool it would be to have Malistaire running around the commons lol. They already have walking, death, and casting animations. It is already a no brainer!
    This is a small suggestion for wizards to be able to share their collections among their wizards. I can understand if this cannot or will not be done due to level discrepancies though.
  3. Expand the monstrology spell selection (I know this is a Work-In-Progress. Take your time!)
    It would be cool to see other beasts in the assortment. For example I would love to collect astral beings or the wisps that surround Loremaster to create support treasure cards.
    Currently, we are not allowed to make dispel tc for bosses. As an alternative it would be interesting if we could make cards that would allow us to stun bosses or beguile them exclusively for cool gameplay features.
    For example, some NPCs cast cool natural hits that we could make as tc. They are awesome animations they tend to be overlooked once we are done questing. This could also expand into us being able to use animus to replicate the same cards they cast. Like I would love to replicate lord of blazes and other cool cards that are not trainable.
Interesting feedback; however, I have something completely different: having each monster has longer descriptions, thus allowing more engaging lore.

Taking a point from another game I played, Oblivion, if you want to learn more about a particular monster, good luck trying to figure it out. The game would instead make you find a book that talks about that specific monster. It's not just for monsters as well. Nearly everything about wars, heroes, or even details like, I don't know, the reason why technology is in use in a world that uses magic never gets a chance to be told as those books are the only way that they ever get a chance to be told.

In other words, Monstrology has many potential to give fascinating lore quickly and easily. But it ends up getting wasted through just a few sentences. The best example of this is with the Jade Oni's description:
"Why did this ornery elephant-demon have the Spiral Key to Dragonspyre? ...Because Magic, that's why."
First of all, the Jade Oni never had the Spiral Key to Dragonspyre. The Jade Champion gave it to you because of how ashamed he was for letting Emperor Yoshihito come under Malistare's hand. Second of all, the description doesn't even bother to explain why it had the Spiral Key in the first place. It makes itself an absolute disgrace as it could be a great way to foreshadow Dragonspyre as the Jade Oni is the final boss of Mooshu. Being able to give an insight about it then would have been perfect timing. Third, it doesn't provide enough of an insight into what the Jade Oni is. The Onis all hunt and possess warlords for their gain.

Defender
Dec 20, 2008
RJDABOSS101 on Dec 10, 2020 wrote:

Nice list of ideas!

That boss stun/beguile made me think of an idea. What if we were able to use animus from certain bosses to make cards that could mess with their cheats? For example, a card made of animus from Malistaire the Undying could delay the bone drake's charm and trap removal for one turn. Some new strategies could be made through doing that.

Survivor
Feb 27, 2011
I love all of this feedback! I hope Kingsisle can view this post for ideas.