Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Do Not Nerf Ice

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Oct 02, 2016
-Ice's only great spell is Abominable Weaver.
-Every school has a good 118 spell.
-Frostbite is an okay spell but it's not nearly as efficient as Fire Elf.
-Most people carry stun blocks so Wintermoon is not that useful.

-Ice's Scion is virtually useless only being only more practical than Life's Scion in pvp.
-Ice already has a lot of even/bad match ups and scenarios such as Life which is extremely hard to kill when they have high health, high heal boost, and high critical for heals. Fire has better combo spells than ice paired with an oppressive Efreet that serves the same purpose as an Abominable Weaver. Death which has an amazing Scion to turn any loss into a victory and it really isn't that hard to set up. Storm has deadly damage that even an ice struggles to abuse its low health to counter them.
-A lot of people play against ice wrong such as trying to out defense an ice wizard, not go offensive when every other school has a good spammable or comboable 4 pip spell, not use their pips for multiple turns when already at full pips, not using pierce enchants on shadow hits and Scion.
-My opinion ice was op before the turn based update and shrike backlash increase but I am too lazy to explain why they were more op then. What I do know is that this update makes ice much more balanced and they aren't even the best school in the game. It definitely goes to fire.

Mastermind
Mar 19, 2011
Nextgenpowerblast on May 14, 2020 wrote:

-Ice's Scion is virtually useless only being only more practical than Life's Scion in pvp.
-Ice already has a lot of even/bad match ups and scenarios such as Life which is extremely hard to kill when they have high health, high heal boost, and high critical for heals. Fire has better combo spells than ice paired with an oppressive Efreet that serves the same purpose as an Abominable Weaver. Death which has an amazing Scion to turn any loss into a victory and it really isn't that hard to set up. Storm has deadly damage that even an ice struggles to abuse its low health to counter them.
-A lot of people play against ice wrong such as trying to out defense an ice wizard, not go offensive when every other school has a good spammable or comboable 4 pip spell, not use their pips for multiple turns when already at full pips, not using pierce enchants on shadow hits and Scion.
-My opinion ice was op before the turn based update and shrike backlash increase but I am too lazy to explain why they were more op then. What I do know is that this update makes ice much more balanced and they aren't even the best school in the game. It definitely goes to fire.
As a Balance wizard, I agree with not nerfing Ice.

You have to learn to counter weaver.

Delver
Mar 09, 2018

as an ice main myself i would like to ask you if you were off that pack when writing this

Survivor
Jan 14, 2012
To say ice isn't better then others is plain false. When looking at leaderboards you can see they take up over 26%. I think last time I looked it was even getting close to 300. But I feel it's overrated and agree in the sense that once a wizard has earned something, they should never have that brutally ripped away as with balance. People work VERY hard to get spells, especially lore or crafted spell, so it's wild to consider ruining it like they did with lore (and mana burn). My opinion: don't nerf ice, don't nerf fire either. When you look at the big picture, most of the people saying it's "broken" or "brainless" are simply just sore losers and expect the RNG to always work in their favor (or at least be fair). However those same people aren't complaining when they RNG is totally in their own favor. To some extent the "R" isn't as relevant. How random is it when somebody criticals in a crucial moment. They went through the work to earn the gear with a high enough critical rating to do that, right? We all have unlucky matches. We all have lucky matches. To say you are only ever unlucky says you either need to play more, or you just aren't a good sport. Don't nerf anything, buff other schools.

Explorer
Mar 01, 2014

just nerf weaver to do 60 or 55 75 is way too much. and its not like its earned everyone gets it.

Geographer
Sep 30, 2018

Its been a while since i posted on the forum on the pvp section per say, so I thought id throw my two cent in the mix which is up for debate. First i want to clarify that using statistics from the leader board for data analysis is definitely not the right approach at this moment. This is entirely due to boosting still being a common thing. With that being said, since the release of scions the meta has shifted a great deal.

For the most part school such as death, storm and myth primarily got a major boost in consistency, to rely on these spells with little to no major requirements. Death having to just stack blades on top of blades while tanking hits to be able to shrike and scion, while myth shares a similar blade stacking path only having to using stun block twice. Storm is a bit difficult giving the reason that it relies heavily on the opponent not having a blade, but i find this one tricky because it can also be use as a way to pressure the opponent.

Giving the scenario, like many other school, Ice has acquired too much damage base stats combine with high resist and moderately high pierce and high health. In fact, i consider this a major issue more than anything else when it comes to Ice max pvp specifically. Ice are suppose to be tanks yes, why? for the lack of heals of course understandable, but when do i draw the line for max Ice pvp? When ice are able to have base storm damage and am talking anything over 120% damage. This includes boost from blade and utility spells such as bale frost alike.

Not only are Ice a dominant force because of stats alone, in my opinion they have access to 3 of the most potent spells in pvp: Abominable weaver, steal ward and bale-frost. With everyone using tower shield commonly these days, an ice can punish freely without any major counter other than aegis., and even if someone set shields they still have options to frost bite which does relatively good damage too. Bubble control is a key factor of ice. In my experience with fighting max ice i always tell myself, if I let Ice mains have bubble control they win the game.

Now with all that being said, there is nothing more annoying than getting hit with a 6k Abominable Weaver while your out here trying to figure out how to get rid of that shield. In fact it is so broken, that its rank 2nd in my list of toxic S tier spells with Efreet holding the number one spot. Even though turn base pvp leveled the playing field a little, with more practical and less prediction, it also created a more favorable atmosphere for ice. With that being said i think the only adjustments that would consider to be a moderate nerf to ice is reduce Abominable Weaver damage to 950 base shield damage to -50%, increase bale frost pip cost by 1 which would make it 3 instead of 2 just like life sanctuary, being that those two should be the ones with lowest damage. Lord of winter already got its mana burn effect changed correctly so am already glad that's done. I think that is all for now and this should help to moderately balance the school.

Explorer
Mar 01, 2014
truthfully if they just make weaver more pips I would be happier

Survivor
Nov 09, 2012
I completely agree with everything in the post and believe ice should not be touched at all, it is barely viable as it is. Firstly ice is undeniably the worst school for questing it is easily the less versatile, lowest damage by far, and no heals. Ice cannot be complete garbage at pve and pvp. Secondly ice is the only school with no heals automatically putting it at a major disadvantage in pvp, thirdly the average ice has 15-30% less pierce, and damage than other schools with an average of 40% less critical, its impossible to have decent stats along with critical for ice as where other schools can have all three categories mentioned above with stats unaffected. The 4-5% extra resist ice has in comparison to other schools is not a viable argument at all therefore making health the only thing we have which is deserved considered everything written above. This was basic knowledge and disadvantages now lets get to actual spells.

Frost giant is a weaker storm lord.. the function of storm was never to stun people in the first place but then you have it doing over 200 damage as ice with the same effect at the same level and consider that fair. Insane and while bolt 2.5-4k damage for 2 pips, while weaver cannot even do that with a shadow. Hammer of thor removes the blade then does damage to enemies, of course, angry snowpig deals damage then takes the shield in useless fashion. Snow barrage a shadow spell does only 5 more damage than tempest which is gotten at level 38..

Next we have spells like guardian spirit, healing current, and backdraft being given out for the same quest that ice gets a useless remove one tic overtime spell which cost one pip while triage is free.. RIDICULOUS. Both the trash spell in comparison to the others and the disrespect added on with triage. Also clymaclysm does 200 less damage than any other spell at that level with absolutely no compensation whatsoever but of course nobody talks about that. Also ice has absolutely nothing close to bad juju, stun for two rounds, 4k damage with 2 pips, heal half health everytime you touch somebody, -90% damage to the next spell, the list goes on. The only decent thing in the history of the game the developers have done for ice people can't deal with and are calling it op while overall it is still the weakest school. I hope some people start to understand now how ridiculous the notion is that ice should be nerfed. Also everything listed above are just beginner points I could debate about this for years,