Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Need Complete Gear Guide For Life and Death Wizards

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Aug 04, 2018
I've been searching for days trying to find gear guides for my Death wizard and my wife's Life wizard with hardly any luck. Most of the guides I find are either incomplete, old, or both. For example, my Death wizard is 37 with all the Zeus gear and Sky Halla but I'm still using my Trusty Athame and some old ring I picked up in the bazaar at lvl 25. My wife on the other hand has a motley setup and won't listen to me on gear farming. I figure a good guide for her to actually read and be confirmed by others would help her enough so I'm not having to carry her through the rest of the game.

Explorer
Oct 15, 2008
The game can be easier with two wizards questing together. gear doesn't matter like that. that way you can wait till you get to the more demanding content to get properly geared (maybe around tartarus or darkmoor). There are several guides for those areas. besides, it's your wife and who better to quest with than your life partner.

Explorer
Oct 15, 2008
Another thing to keep in mind is that even though there may be good gear, the content isn't exactly aligned to gear stats. Kings Isle doesn't create content with gear stats in mind. most hard fights don't even consider gear alignment

Survivor
Aug 04, 2018
Thanks for the advice but I would really still like a gear guide. I had one for my Fire wizard two years ago and it made it more fun for me. I have a tendency to either get focused on the main quest line so much that I get to a point where I can't continue so I give up on the whole thing, or I'll try to get everything I see and am so confused on what to do next that I once again give up on the game completely. I only got back on the game recently because I had talked about it with one of my wife's daughters and she wanted to play and now her her daughter, our gran-baby, plays with us and she's 5.

Back on topic. I would just really appreciate a good gear guide for Death and Life. I know Zeus gear is the first milestone gear set but how long does it last and is there a milestone gear set before WW at lvl 60? Where can we find good Athemes and Rings that aren't in the Bazaar? What's a good secondary school for Life and Death? My wife took Fire but tends to play more Fire than Life and I can't seem to decide on what would work with my Death.

Survivor
Apr 15, 2017
Brimstone73 on Mar 29, 2020 wrote:
I've been searching for days trying to find gear guides for my Death wizard and my wife's Life wizard with hardly any luck. Most of the guides I find are either incomplete, old, or both. For example, my Death wizard is 37 with all the Zeus gear and Sky Halla but I'm still using my Trusty Athame and some old ring I picked up in the bazaar at lvl 25. My wife on the other hand has a motley setup and won't listen to me on gear farming. I figure a good guide for her to actually read and be confirmed by others would help her enough so I'm not having to carry her through the rest of the game.
Pretty much most of your gear on your death and life is going to be either wintertusk crafted and farmed jewelry, waterworks gear, upper zigazag or mixtures of the 3 until 90 with a few gear pieces being swapped out later on. The only major upgrades for most players in terms of gear from packs are the professors hoard boots, helm, and wand and ghulture mounts. Once you reach lvl 90 the gear begins to defer because you either decide you want critical rate or damage. 2 of the best all school gears are from Aquila in terms of the Blade of The Felled Titan And the Alpha and Omega from 2 secret bosses. Once you reach lvl 99 you upgrade your athame and amulets respectively to morganthe jewelry and can opt for darkmoor athames later if you choose. At 100 your life has more options in gear since bonesmasher and krok hat are 2 of the best gears for your life if you dont get malistaire gear. However you can obtain one of the best critical based hats at lvl 96 if you are an avid crafter. If you dont want to do any of that then malistaire gear is the next best option. For death you want you do full malistaire gear and darkmoor athame. From then on the gear is pretty much static for everyone until 130. The athames and rings from wintertusk can be bought in the bazaar albeit rarely, they are obtained from farming the nastrond and shango's amulets are a vendor bought amulet in zafaria. Your wands will either be professors hoard, sky iron hasta, hades, or sky captains for a majority or your playthrough depending on your decision to go critical based or damage based. Your decks will differ depending on your level however the earliest you can get a triangle deck is from upper zigazag and its a skeleton key boss. Your next deck will either be morganthe or darkmoor crafted then Rasputin or luphilim til 130 and then its paradox decks. Currently in the end game damage is more realistically important however critical isnt useless. Your pet will determine your build as either you go critical based, or damage based. And I recommend as a life or death you obtain jade gear at lvl 100 or 110. For your rings and athames unless you are jading its particularly recommended to have multiple copies for pvp and pve, as you need one that has crit slots and pip chance and for pvp pierce and some accuracy and pip chance mixed in. Your deck will either be accuracy or pip chance. For life its usually athame pip chance and deck accuracy. If you dont feel confident on your death then go accuracy for both but unless you have 100% from gear you should go half and half and its recommended decks get accuracy as you swap them more often.

I wish you luck on your farm however some of these pieces of gear are harder than others to get and you should decide which path you want to take before attempting any of these. If you dont like crafting then some of these options will be unavailable to you. If you dont like waterworks then some of this gear will be unavailable to you, if you dont like upper zigazag and so on and so on. Keep in mind its your experience but the best optimized setup will let people know you are competent and want to farm with you more often. If you plan to enter pvp you need to do crafting so id advocate it highly. However its your gameplay.