Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Max Spell Proof and Spell Defy question

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Nov 19, 2009
In the kiosk I've seen pets that have 14% Spell Proof and 7% Spell Defy. My question is: Does a pet have to be trained all the way to the highest level to get that high? I've been working on this for some time now and the current pet I'm training is a Blaze Fox who has 13% Spell Proof and 6% Spell Defy. So far he is just started training toward the final level. His other talents are relentless, determined, & unshakeable. I know he won't get another talent when he maxes out but does anyone know if they have to max out in training to reach those levels of Proof & Defy?
Thanks

Survivor
Aug 16, 2009
The short answer is No.

The long answer is the level of spell proof or spell defy is all defined based on the pet’s max attributes. All pet’s attributes are Strength, Intellect, Agility, Will, and Power. The attributes that matter for spell defy and spell proof are Strength, Agility and Power. The more level of strength, agility and power the pet has gives it the capability of producing higher resist. So that means the pet does not necessarily need to be Mega or maybe even Epic as long as those specific three attributes are maxed out on the pet. The Calculation for Spell Proof is (2*Strength + 2*Agility + Power)/125. Spell defy is the same but just divide by 250 instead of 125. So if you were to feed your Pet while training pure Captain Canteloupe which offers Strength, Agility, and Power, he’d be at max resist definitely before reaching Epic. Hope that makes sense.

BTW – Which pet did you see with this level of resist?. I may want to start hatching with them to get some max resist pets.

Survivor
Nov 19, 2009
I've found most pets with those levels of Spell Proof and Spell Defy in Balance Pets. Blaze Fox has several but be sure to double check because some have 13% and 6% instead of 14% and 7%. I'm not sure if that really matters but I try for the highest resist to hatch with.

It seems like the pets with the highest resistance do have three talents that raise their other stats such as Strength, Agility, and Power, etc. So you're right about the Captain Canteloupe.

When I train I've been trying to use snacks that level the various stats equally. (Am I wrong doing that, then?)

Survivor
Aug 16, 2009
That is a really good question. Everything I have seen has led me to believe that all the different pet snacks, whether it be captain cantaloupe or mystic dragon fruit or fancy yogurt is just fuel to give your pet more experience points. It has no bearing on what skill your pet will develop when reach the next milestone (ancient, epic, mega, etc). It does have a bearing on the level of intensity for the skills that the pet does develop through training it such as percentage level of resist, as we’ve been discussing. For this reason alone, it is wise to feed your pet a balanced diet as it grows so all the skills your pet develops are maximized quickly.

I for superstitious reasons dating back to when I did think it made a difference, always make sure the pet I am training has maxed out in all attributes (strength, intellect, agility, power, etc.) before it gets to Epic. That means a steady diet of both captain cantaloupe and Fancy Yogurt as well as the cherry tomatoes or mystic dragon fruit which are high in the Intellect and Will qualities. So I in effect do the same thing as you. Since I am a big time gardener of CPs and EMPs, never have issues w mega snack availability

Thanks for advising on type of pets. I saw some saber tooths out there that looked good too. It seems that they using a lot of selfish talents to get to that level of resist as well which is whole other thing; or could put in a selfish talent when/if reach Ultra if have the right selfish talent jewel.

Good luck

Michael Legendhunter