Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

What is the best and worst schools to play?

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Oct 11, 2010
So I've recently been asking this question around to my friends and might as well ask it here. So many people have opinions about the best and worst schools to play, both in PvE and PvP.

Personally, I think the best school to play PvE is death. It's a balanced school and you can do anything in battle. Having said that, Death probably isn't your best friend in PvP.

The worst school to play PvE in my opinion is Myth. A lot of the minions become useless, especially in late game, and they don't get a decent AOE spell until level one hundred. The best school to play PvP with though is Balance, because they can do so much to assist.

So what do you think the best and worst schools to play are?

Darby Unicornflower 127
Darby Seacloud 57
Darby Starwraith 32
Darby 23
Genevieve Rosestone 20
Sestiva Silverdust 12

Administrator
While it might not count, my personal favorites at the moment are Life and Fire :).

Survivor
May 14, 2015
My favorite school would definitely be Balance, purely because of the versatility, and the ability to support the other schools with blades. Storm and Fire wizards LOVE a good Balance Wizard who can spam blades on them in a boss battle!

Throw in a good Life Wizard, and your good to go! Life Wizard's have the ability to go with a pure damage build, or they can try to raise their Outgoing Healing as high as possible. Friend of mine got her Outgoing Healing to %78 on her level 56 Life. Needless to say, she made Master Duels so pathetically easy, I felt sorry for the enemies. It just wasn't fair at all. HAHAHA!!

And yes, you do bring up a very valid point. The game itself says something like this: "Myth Wizard's often fight alone, using minions to aid them in battle." Yet once your nearing the late game, their minions are next to worthless. And no, not everybody is going to take up Monstrology.

Myth definitely needs a minor power boost with their minions, or to have a new, more powerful endgame minion added, in order to haul them back into line with the games overall power scale.

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
It's probably not very useful, but I actually love all the schools for different reasons and I find them all fun to play

My myth wizards are the most neglected so I don't feel able to say much about playing that school yet.

Life - I LOVE this school! OP healing and looking after my team is so much fun!

Death - Drain spells and being self-sufficient is great, I sometimes wish I could look after my team better but love that I can hold my own.

Storm - BOOM, gotta love those hits! I also enjoy the low health which gives a real urgency to hit them hard asap...especially once I've got a few backs of feints on me! It can be nail-bitingly close at times, especially solo.

Balance - I found these the hardest to solo and quickly found them teams so she could be a massively useful support instead of struggling to boost and hit, which meant I couldn't use her full range of spells to their full potential. I enjoy being support so find balance a lot of fun.

Fire - Totally awesome school. The range of hits and their high damage are awesome and the decent health makes it much easier. I can solo fire or be part of a team, my blades can help a storm and between us we can compliment each other easily no matter what enemies we face. I think I've found this the easiest school but that might be because I underestimated the damage when I made my first fire, having always heard 'storm is the damage dealer'.

Ice - I'm not much of a hitter on ice but tanking is great. It's not my favourite but I haven't given this one as much attention as the other schools and the potential is certainly there. I enjoy being support and I enjoy teasing the enemies and laughing when they go for me instead of my lower-health allies who have damage rather than resist.

I'm not sure I have a worst - myth and ice are currently my most neglected wizards but it's not personal lol.

I have more life wizards than any other school, followed by storm and then fire...perhaps that's a good indicator of which I love most!

Survivor
Jul 03, 2015
With my main character being Myth, it's actually pretty easy to solo. When you start off with 2 AOE's (Humongofrog and Earthquake), with the right strategy (appropriate blading and trapping) it's not hard to solo. My myth is Level 114 at the moment, and up to about Avalon is where it gets harder to solo, especially for the Celestial Calendar spell quest.

My minion spell cards usually sit in my spellbook and are never used, simply to the fact that they ARE kinda random and they only thing they're actually good for is generating taunt or healing you once in a while. But other than that, they are kind of all over the place and pretty much useless. The most stable minion is probably Vassanji or Talos (those being higher level minions) and are a little bit more helpful.

The thing with minions in general is that you have no control over them. You trapping on a certain enemy and them using your traps (usually for a weak/useless spell) is something that annoys a lot of people about minions.

Outside of Myth, the only other good minion for Lower levels in general is the Sprite guardian because it primarily heals, but with weaker spells.

I think all of the schools have their likeable and less desirable characteristics, but opinion wise, i don't think any school is above/bests the other.

Advantages:
Storm: Overpowering (Usually has the most damage for higher pip spells compared to the other schools. (Storm Owl alone with no enchantments has about a 1.2k to 1.3k damage base), it's many ''AOE'' spells and removing charms
Fire: Known for it's over-time spells
Death: Healing while dealing damage, Sacrificing
Myth: Known for summoning/the use of minions
Balance: Known for Multi-School spells and blades
Ice: Also known for over-times; Stuns; weaker damage and usually weak health ORIGINALLY (I've seen some ice wizards with some high health nowadays)
Life: Healing, of course! No AOE until about level 58, which is forest lord. And only has about 2-3 AOE's at all. A little more of a challenge to solo if no strategy is involved.