Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

The Need For Hall Monitors In The Commons!

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Apr 05, 2014
Hello! The situation in the Commons it totally out of control! The same rude, crude, foul trolls show up night, after night, after night, and are reported, and reported, and reported, and NOTHING is ever done! They laugh at being reported, and get even fouler than before, like it's a joke, because they know no one is going to stop them. Most of them are low level less than level 10 wizards that could care less if they are muted or banned, they got nothing to lose. Meanwhile no girl can be in the commons without being sexually harassed, subjected to foul language, and crude propositions. My daughter has quit playing it's so bad, but young, adult, even old, makes NO difference, ANY female is a target. It's SICK! Especially on what is billed as a family game. I personally know several girls who have quit, besides my daughter, and others who are on the fence about leaving. Lately, even high level trolls, level 80 all the way up to 130 been joining in the fun, and they got plenty to lose, but they know there are NO consequences! So why not? Quit being so cheap, penny wise, and pound foolish, get out the crowbar, open the wallet, and pay some bloody overtime to clean up the mess! Ban their IP address so they can't just make a new wizard and return. It can be done, there is just NO will to do it, and we all know it. My account renews in 60 days, if nothing is done, you lose another customer. You've already lost one, because I'll not renew my daughters, I cannot blame the girl for not wanting to be sexually harassed and abused, and me paying for the priviledge!

Administrator
Eightball88 on Apr 5, 2019 wrote:
Hello! The situation in the Commons it totally out of control! The same rude, crude, foul trolls show up night, after night, after night, and are reported, and reported, and reported, and NOTHING is ever done! They laugh at being reported, and get even fouler than before, like it's a joke, because they know no one is going to stop them. Most of them are low level less than level 10 wizards that could care less if they are muted or banned, they got nothing to lose. Meanwhile no girl can be in the commons without being sexually harassed, subjected to foul language, and crude propositions. My daughter has quit playing it's so bad, but young, adult, even old, makes NO difference, ANY female is a target. It's SICK! Especially on what is billed as a family game. I personally know several girls who have quit, besides my daughter, and others who are on the fence about leaving. Lately, even high level trolls, level 80 all the way up to 130 been joining in the fun, and they got plenty to lose, but they know there are NO consequences! So why not? Quit being so cheap, penny wise, and pound foolish, get out the crowbar, open the wallet, and pay some bloody overtime to clean up the mess! Ban their IP address so they can't just make a new wizard and return. It can be done, there is just NO will to do it, and we all know it. My account renews in 60 days, if nothing is done, you lose another customer. You've already lost one, because I'll not renew my daughters, I cannot blame the girl for not wanting to be sexually harassed and abused, and me paying for the priviledge!
Hi Eightball88,

Thank you for submitting this concern to us, we appreciate hearing from our community, especially when it's something negative that affects others.

When you submit a support ticket, do you also include screenshots of the conversations and chat? This is important to ensuring we can properly moderate these individuals.

Thanks again for reporting them!

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
This was a very disturbing read.

I must say, I tend to see this type of behaviour particularly in the 'WU' Realm more than anything else within The Commons Area.

The sexual harassment is the most alarming, especially within this kid-family-friendly environment.

As you angrily expressed, this type of behaviour has been going on for some time now (years even) so much so that the realm (WU) has been strongly advised to be avoided by anyone not wanting to see such material or even experience it.

I'll join in the vigilant wizards in reporting and screenshotting any Ludacris behaviour I happen to see or experience and communicate such to KI.

Sorry you and your family had to go through this.

Please don't allow this type of behaviour to deter you from the multitude of joyous activities you can do throughout the game.

Astrologist
Dec 31, 2009
Sparck on Apr 5, 2019 wrote:
Hi Eightball88,

Thank you for submitting this concern to us, we appreciate hearing from our community, especially when it's something negative that affects others.

When you submit a support ticket, do you also include screenshots of the conversations and chat? This is important to ensuring we can properly moderate these individuals.

Thanks again for reporting them!
The report button does not let you include a screen shot, it however does include a timestamp. There are logs at KIs disposal that they can use to review these. Or at least that is the impression we are all under.

Or is that not how the report button works?

Mastermind
Oct 11, 2010
part of the issue is someone makes a level 1 and talks smack then deletes the wizard after being reported a bunch of times and going mute. This may or may not be on that persons actual account it might be a side account not linked to a family account or anything.

honestly the chat in this game is horrible even open chat most players are adults and you can type o a word and get a 15minute mute on your wizard. Had that happen, why not do a pop up warning are you sure you want to say this or it gives you a chance to fix the wrong word before sending it other to see.

Champion
Feb 06, 2010
Eightball88 on Apr 5, 2019 wrote:
Here are a few things you can try:

1. Change Realms - If they are following you into the same realm then that's a little spooky.
  2. Mute them - They can do whatever they want from this point forward, but you will no longer see what they are saying.
  3. Leave the Area - Don't hang around where they are, walk away.

You cannot get angry with KingsIsle for this when there are simple solutions you can do yourself. Yes, there can be nasty people you come in contact with, but not every situation like this can be directly handled (as it has been mentioned for several years here).

If they were using sexual references and they were reported, then I can assume they will be dealt with, but maybe not instantly. I don't think however, you need to get upset and begin saying things like "Cheap and pound foolish". Just give it time, or take the said actions.

Administrator
If you need to include a screenshot or other evidence (thank you for these details!), please open a support ticket by emailing us directly at support@wizard101.com. We'll get the attachments that way.

Mastermind
Feb 07, 2010
Doesn't reporting someone also send the moderators a record of the chatlog around the time of the incident? I could have sworn I read that somewhere. So what's with the need for screenshots?

Defender
Jun 08, 2011
It got a bit worse than just sex the other night. Someone was in the Commons declaring that slavery was 'good' and trying to convince others that it would be profitable to do offline. I found myself temporarily muted after reporting them, for what reason I do not know.

Survivor
Oct 25, 2009
After running into a few jerks when I just started playing I have learned about 'ignore' option. I found it an excellent tool and have about three pages of people at this point that are 'ignored'. Quiting the game and blaming KI for not doing anything about trolls is ludicrous, you may as well not use internet at all and move somewhere deep into the forest away from humanity. I mean I got a worning once for saying Crop, and a whole load of regular words that could be interpreted as cursing are showing up red as you type them so you are worned from the get go not to say it: thats how much effort they put into monitoring.

Astrologist
Feb 12, 2015
Kingsisle is doing their best. Everyone's right, don't blame them. Use that Ignore button!

May I make one suggestion though? Make warnings apply to the account, instead of the Wizard? Or does that already happen?

Are accounts tied to our online address? Perhaps that way offenders could be banned from the game permenantly, instead of having all these workarounds.

This post makes me feel sorry for all those who experience this. Forget PvP, glitches and all that, this is the problem that needs to go!

Survivor
Oct 29, 2010
I have not seen this often, but I did see it a day or so ago. It is disturbing and takes you out of the game environment. I did send screenshots to the contact address here, but later realized that I sent them from my main account and not my secondary account which I was using at the time. So I don't know if anything will be done.

The wizard in question did look like a level one player, so I am assuming he was purposely trolling. Not only was he sexually harassing other players, he seemed to be teaching lessons on how to do this. It wasn't just the girls in the commons, but he picked out a male wizard and asked crude things concerning his mother. I am not sure what realm I was in, but pretty sure it wasn't WU. Normally you have to go to Wu on purpose.

Anyway, I will send screenshots any and every time I see this.

Champion
Feb 06, 2010
If I can make a suggestion, can we not list every scenario of misconduct.

There are nasty people in the community - that's never going to change. The only thing you can do is report and move on. Staying in a dangerous environment and allowing them to make you personally upset is now your fault.

I want to state that I do not disagree with anyone, but when you start complaining about an environment that you continue to sit in, of course, nothing is going to change.

You should still report if necessary but get out of there after that. The offender will stop if they are not getting the attention they want.

Survivor
Apr 05, 2014
Well I personally report almost every night some form of crudity. Cursing, sexual propositions, sexual harassment, racial comments, and in many cases it's the same trolls night after night, and nothing is ever done. That is what is so discouraging! I already have fourteen pages of ignores, ignoring is at best a temporary solution. I would think purely from a business point of view Kings Isle would take this seriously. They are allowing faithful, long time, paying customers to be harassed to the point of quitting. These trolls by and large are free players, that spend nothing! Does this make any kind of business sense? Having been in business, I certainly would not allow my paying customers to be harassed by a bunch of deadbeats. Yes they tend to congregate in Wu, so much the better! If serious enforcement were instituted, it would be like shooting fish in a barrel. The trolls do roam the entire spiral, I've encountered them in every realm. But they like the heavily used lower realms like Ambrose, and of course Wu. What is needed is a serious effort to clean them out, it would not be all that difficult. The will to do so is what is lacking, and that is truly sad!

Survivor
Jun 20, 2015
Bumping the topic because this is extremely important.

There are so many gross, rude, and disrespectful players on the game and It should be handled a bit better. I think hall monitors are a good idea, or at least moderation around hotspot areas. Honestly, as much as I dislike the chat filter already, it needs to be tweaked to avoid people being able to say phrases offensive or disrespectful- even for the 18+ chat.

Also, @Blaze it IS KingsIsle's problem, it is their problem to fix what toxicity is in the game. I'm sorry, what does this game highlight on their profile? About being safe, and unfortunately KI is not doing their job correctly if crude behavior continues to happen on this game.

Kind regards.

Delver
Oct 27, 2009
Sparck on Apr 8, 2019 wrote:
If you need to include a screenshot or other evidence (thank you for these details!), please open a support ticket by emailing us directly at support@wizard101.com. We'll get the attachments that way.
Seriously, is the report button no longer the main way to report these really bad ones? Does it work, but is more of a slow poke, back burner method, with email and screenshot now the preferred method? A lot of long time wizards have an interest in the answer to this, and whether KI still checks the chat logs when they get the in game reports. Is it that better descriptions by reporters are needed, when the report button is used, so you know which are minor and which major? If this is not really your area, there is another KI expert who deals with this who can clarify these issues for us?

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
I agree.
I also wish there was a dedicated helper's realm.
*It couldn't hurt.*

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Jasmine3429 on Apr 5, 2019 wrote:
The report button does not let you include a screen shot, it however does include a timestamp. There are logs at KIs disposal that they can use to review these. Or at least that is the impression we are all under.

Or is that not how the report button works?
The report button (Last I used it, more than a year ago if not longer) only has space to type about 5 words or so.

I dunno. A paragraph + an image could make a person feel better. Some situations are more nuanced or complex.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Lookit Light on Apr 9, 2019 wrote:
Kingsisle is doing their best. Everyone's right, don't blame them. Use that Ignore button!

May I make one suggestion though? Make warnings apply to the account, instead of the Wizard? Or does that already happen?

Are accounts tied to our online address? Perhaps that way offenders could be banned from the game permenantly, instead of having all these workarounds.

This post makes me feel sorry for all those who experience this. Forget PvP, glitches and all that, this is the problem that needs to go!
"Use that ignore button"

That only helps one person, not all the others who will be subjected to the offender's behavior.

Putting the onus on people to flee from trouble does not remove or resolve the trouble.

Champion
Feb 06, 2010
Khspoon on Apr 12, 2019 wrote:
Bumping the topic because this is extremely important.

There are so many gross, rude, and disrespectful players on the game and It should be handled a bit better. I think hall monitors are a good idea, or at least moderation around hotspot areas. Honestly, as much as I dislike the chat filter already, it needs to be tweaked to avoid people being able to say phrases offensive or disrespectful- even for the 18+ chat.

Also, @Blaze it IS KingsIsle's problem, it is their problem to fix what toxicity is in the game. I'm sorry, what does this game highlight on their profile? About being safe, and unfortunately KI is not doing their job correctly if crude behavior continues to happen on this game.

Kind regards.
As I stated above, if there are sexual references made, I would assume they will handle it (as I hope they would). But if a group of people is being "rude and disrespectful" there are only so many things that can be done. As it has been stated for several years on these message boards. You as a player have the full right to ignore them (mute them) or report them. After that, you need to distance yourself from the situation.

It's a decent idea to have hall monitors, but I strongly believe that right should not be given to the players. Only KingsIsle should use that ability, as that could lead to abuse of responsibility. (Which I believe this is already a thing.)

Furthermore, if you report someone at a late hour, do you think KingsIsle is available to decide a course of action at the moment?

I think Wizard101 has pretty decent chat moderation compared to other games, (especially Roblox)! Yes, they could improve a little bit, but I can't tell you how many years people have requested to loosen the rains on 18+ chat. So, take steps to work with the situation or demote yourself back to 13-17 age chat.

Check the link I posted above or just read this:

"“Being rude” (We’re sorry, we can’t enforce good manners. Use the ignore button liberally &/or change realms. It’s wholly up to you to choose to stay around someone that’s not nice to you)"

Explorer
Mar 28, 2019
Star Edward on Apr 5, 2019 wrote:
This was a very disturbing read.

I must say, I tend to see this type of behaviour particularly in the 'WU' Realm more than anything else within The Commons Area.

The sexual harassment is the most alarming, especially within this kid-family-friendly environment.

As you angrily expressed, this type of behaviour has been going on for some time now (years even) so much so that the realm (WU) has been strongly advised to be avoided by anyone not wanting to see such material or even experience it.

I'll join in the vigilant wizards in reporting and screenshotting any Ludacris behaviour I happen to see or experience and communicate such to KI.

Sorry you and your family had to go through this.

Please don't allow this type of behaviour to deter you from the multitude of joyous activities you can do throughout the game.

Wait, it's not recommended to go to Wu? I always go there manually because it's the lowest population realm usually, making it perfect for gathering reagents

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Tefnut0fHoney on Apr 14, 2019 wrote:
Wait, it's not recommended to go to Wu? I always go there manually because it's the lowest population realm usually, making it perfect for gathering reagents
Wu is known, fairly or not I can't say/ don't know, as being "the griefer realm."

Defender
May 23, 2009
Just got back to the game a few weeks ago. The ignore list on my death wizard nearly doubled in size in the past few days. This is not how I imagined coming back to a "children's" game.

Administrator
TPG Miserie on May 6, 2019 wrote:
Just got back to the game a few weeks ago. The ignore list on my death wizard nearly doubled in size in the past few days. This is not how I imagined coming back to a "children's" game.
I'm sorry to hear about this TPG Miserie :(. For all, it's important when possible if you could please include screenshots of conversations and chat statements for our support team to review.

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
Sparck on May 6, 2019 wrote:
I'm sorry to hear about this TPG Miserie :(. For all, it's important when possible if you could please include screenshots of conversations and chat statements for our support team to review.
The ingame report feature can be used by anyone with active membership or who has bought crowns in the last 30 days. The report sends the KI team event and chat logs before and after the report was made. We can't attach screen shots to ingame reports, but it isn't needed as all the info is recorded on the wizard making the report.

Everyone posting here currently has the report feature - having the report button is the same criteria as being able to post.

Sending an email with screen shots is the only way for anyone else to report anything. A lot of people don't know to email it and screen shots must be tricky to verify who was involved etc, leading many crowns players to feel it is ignored or not addressed properly, so they don't bother.

There are many long term players who have invested a lot of money into their accounts who are unable to report quickly, easily and in an efficient way. It can lead to them feeling KI doesn't care about their welfare. I understand that giving it to all accounts (eg accounts that have never made a payment) could lead to a lot of false reporting, which would be bad for players and KI filtering through them all, but the risk to an account is directly proportional to the time and money invested.

Currently we have invested players who would be able to help keep the Spiral family friendly but can't, and others who spam reports to trigger the auto-mute or upset players with false warnings who retain the feature because they have membership. I think the issues being discussed could be significantly reduced by enabling all financially invested payers access to the report feature.

How about giving the report feature to all accounts that have invested over $20? Perhaps even consider making the report feature a 'privilege' so it can be deactivated if the player repeatedly misuses it?

PS...it would be cool if the forum was opened up to crowns players too